Competetive golf, anyone?

I recently turned 60 and joined the Men's Senior Association at my favorite local public course. It's been only 3 weeks but I am already seeing signs of a part of golf that is not attractive to me. While I am new to playing regular golf more than a couple times a month or even most years prior to 2015 when I went all-in pursuing one of my goals of retirement life spending leisurely days playing, and I mean PLAYING golf. Some of the players I've observed are very competitive against the other members. How, I wonder, can they be serious about the game when they constantly improve their lies by moving the ball before hitting each shot. Even in the fairway I see players improving their lie. Last week a player improved his lie in the sand trap! Any ball hit into the rough is a free drop. League rules. My question is: Is this normal play at your golf course? Is this how "golfers" play? I have only ever played one way. You play the ball as it lies. If their is any question about the lie of the ball it should be discussed with other players for a ruling. Such as tree roots or rocks that may damage the player or clubs. I would enjoy hearing some feedback or opinions about this subject. I enjoy playing by myself, walking and being in touch with my clubs the course as I battle the pursuit of making a par and enjoying the surroundings such as the trees, flowers, birds, the layout of the design of the course while swinging my persimmons and old blades in the traditions of the game I so enjoy.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been a member of two clubs for 12 years and everyone plays by the rules of the rcga in Canada

but we have cheaters and that sucks the enjoyment out of what's supposed to be a pastime

It got so bad that I just play with friends now and only play in the bigger tournaments

I've seen guys report a rules infraction on a long term member only to be ostracized for doing it

To much politicking and goofy local rules

Never mind 4.5-5 hour rounds

We have a core group of guys and gals , so it's never hard to put together our own game

Golf for me is fun again

But I have to tell of an incident that happened a couple of years ago

Four of our Scottish members were playing together and they discovered that one fellow was having a grand day striping fairway woods off of super tight lies and hitting towering irons

They watched him and caught him putting green lifesavers under his ball. Ingenious , the fight and argument that ensued wasn't

If your going to last playing with this group , consider that they've adapted these rules as their "skill" has deteriorated

You can turn a blind eye and play or move along and find a new group

I wouldn't like to have to pay a cheater at the end of the round

I've been a member of two clubs for 12 years and everyone plays by the rules of the rcga in Canada

but we have cheaters and that sucks the enjoyment out of what's supposed to be a pastime

It got so bad that I just play with friends now and only play in the bigger tournaments

I've seen guys report a rules infraction on a long term member only to be ostracized for doing it

To much politicking and goofy local rules

Never mind 4.5-5 hour rounds

We have a core group of guys and gals , so it's never hard to put together our own game

Golf for me is fun again

But I have to tell of an incident that happened a couple of years ago

Four of our Scottish members were playing together and they discovered that one fellow was having a grand day striping fairway woods off of super tight lies and hitting towering irons

They watched him and caught him putting green lifesavers under his ball. Ingenious , the fight and argument that ensued wasn't

If your going to last playing with this group , consider that they've adapted these rules as their "skill" has deteriorated

You can turn a blind eye and play or move along and find a new group

I wouldn't like to have to pay a cheater at the end of the round

I will hold off calling them cheaters. Maybe it's how they play. I don't want to play that way.

I play in a seniors association that is 100% tourament golf. There's money involved, so that certainly is one reason for adherence to the rules of golf. We travel around the state and play twice a month. You get your event winners after the round, then placement points for the season winners.

I think someone would be tarred, feathered and run out of town on a rail if they were found truely cheating. Everyone gets called on something every now and then, just because we're not walking rules officials, except for a couple of guys, so we defer to them to handle any disputes.

It's a different game when you play it down, by the rules, and no mulligans, or gimmies. Some guys thrive in that environment, for some it's too serious.

Just do like us make your own little group contests. It doesn't need to be part of a big club or group, especially since we play vintage golf. I too was getting very irritated when I tried to play in a club similar to that, some clowns would be screeming at people from across the other fairway yelling during their backswing trying to mess them up. We saw people hitting from closer tee boxes, and taking mulligans. What really got to me was the whole sandbagger issue! If you are honest and turn in your real scores there is no way you could have a chance of winning against these clowns. These sandbaggers would lie and act like they shoot 15 over par on average then go out and shoot a 75, with the flight or handicap that would put them way under par. Then do the same thing next week. "Oh I must be on a real streak" lol The only thing I could ever win was a closest to the pin or long drive contest. If it was just for fun, I wouldn't mind so much, but when you have to pay entry fees and member dues and put up with that garbage its just not worth it. The only good thing I got out of it was met a couple really nice friends which is awesome, and I got to play some really nice courses.

I would not consider it cheating if everyone is playing by the rules. My kids play in the South Jersey Junior PGA, the gentlemen pro that runs it wants the kids to have the best experience possible. 10 is max on a hole, the ball must go a club length to count as a stroke, and improved lies everywhere. The courses that they play are not so great so it helps. The other reason is that he has seen too much cheating and arguing over proving lies. He believes it puts everyone on an even playing field and makes the game more fun for the groups. It is a much looser event. The U.S. Kids Tournaments are pressure packed. My son was one of the top players in the northeast, he was having all kinds of stomach problems, stopped the tournaments, within a week he was fine. He was in a lot of pain, so not worth it at 8 years old. I want him just to have fun, I know he has the ability to compete against any kid in the world, I will never put pressure on him at any age.

What OP describes is not cheating per se, more like a league with some local rules designed to make the game easier for all ( like the last post about junior golf). Still have to decide if you like playing that way. I just joined a league where a ball in the fairway on bare dirt can be moved to a grass lie. Whatever. I can go with the flow.

Callaway Rogue 10.5°
Ping G410 2, 3 Hybrid
Ping G410 3, 4 Crossover 
Ping G410 5-UW
Vokey spin milled 54/14
SC Studio Select Newport 2

What OP describes is not cheating per se, more like a league with some local rules designed to make the game easier for all ( like the last post about junior golf). Still have to decide if you like playing that way. I just joined a league where a ball in the fairway on bare dirt can be moved to a grass lie. Whatever. I can go with the flow.

After a good night's sleep I am beginning to lean your direction. If that's the local rules. If everyone is playing by the same rules.

It's my favorite local course. Being just a bit over 5,000 yds. from the senior tees. My persimmons play well and using my classic blades

is not an issue. It's not like I'm such a good golfer. In fact, probably a hacker best describes my game. I grew up playing baseball not golf.

Thanks for your comment.

After reading this thread, I very much want new clubs and green lifesavers! In the winter many clubs play preferred lies, many clubs will continue this far longer than they need to. I wouldn't worry about it, nor would I improve my lie every time, but when it is bad, why not. I see guys improving their lies around the greens all the time, only to go under the ball and hit it worse than they would have if they simply left it alone.

The old men's league I used to play with had a few cheaters. They would improve their lie, declare a ball in bounds when it actually was twenty yards OB when it hit the trees, "forget" a stroke or two, and other infractions. Most times the infractions were ignored, for our league was points quota, and the weekly average would reflect the cheating.

A few times, heated arguments resulted when someone was called out.

The league disbanded a few years back, due to deaths and so on, but all in all, a good group. I've been playing alone or with one or two pals since. It's make your own rules, but it's just pastime, no money or recorded scores.

I love the green life saver under the ball. Did the guy pick it up after a shot? Did he eat it? How many packages did he have to open to get enough green ones for a round?

Just priceless!

Like others have said wisely it depends on how you want to play. If you are not having fun playing with that group due to their antics then I would not bother to play with them. After all golf is supposed to be fun.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

• 1 month later...

There is golf groups and groups who play something that seems like golf. Neither group is going to change. It is what is is. You must decide what you prefer. You may prefer the guys with the goofy rules because tehy are more fun to be with. Or you may like true golf and competion and go that route regardles that the guys are no fun. OR the true golfers end up being the most fun. Who can say? Stick your toe in several waters, you will find the one you prefer.

I'm with Randy - if it's not for cash, then it's probably a "get out of the house league". If the adjust for handicap as well, the the person improving their lie only hurts them self.

Our home course does flood regularly, so when the course is damaged, we do play improved lies, or pick, clean, and place for league and tournaments. However, improved lies are only in the fairway.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

When my son was playing varsity golf in high school he was in a match. He addressed his ball in the rough and it moved. No one saw it, but he called a penalty on himself and lost the hole. His coach was livid that he did that.

Wow! I'm with your son. He has to live with himself. It sounds like his coach wished he had cheated to win. In the future your son will address the ball with more care, and never had to compromise morals. I'd hope my son would do the same...