Winn squishy grips

Motley

I've experimented with several grips over the last year.

Profile: Mature guy, fingers starting to lock up, never a good sign, 90's SS

Looking for: Balance between soft/medium feel, and wanting moisture management as I prefer not to wear a glove.

Pure Pro - good tack, firm feel, do not play this in humidity/heat unless wearing a glove. They will last a couple of season. If a range rat in the heat, no bueno - wear glove.

Winn Dri Tac - soft feel, not as torquey as Excel, but if they get really wet at the range, they can slip. Endurance depends on use - if you are younger, and play/practice, probably no bueno unless you have hand issues.

Lamkin i Line - runs small to size - start with an extra wrap. Have only used it on driver

Lamkin UTx Wrap - nice idea but needs more of the sand paper type feel between wraps - if you are a range rat in the heat, no bueno. Okay on course.

Lamkin UTx - cord, firm, really firm. Nice grip on driver and fairways for hold in heat/humidity

Lamkin Ace 3 Gen/Justin Rose Grip -- durable grip, firmish, nice tack, preferred over Pure Pro, but you need to clean and wipe them down after range/round

Golf Pride - MDCC +4 - cord, just have them on two fairways - a comfortable hold

Have not tried the Winn Dura Tech - but they are firmish - will probably endure. I think this is their reach out to younger faster golfers.

Lamkin is coming out soon with a new grip that looks like a combo of their technologies.

Best Grips Leather - am rescinding my ho'ing ways so I splurged - these should last 3-4 seasons. Start out firmish and soften up comfortably. As they soften slightly, they get more tacky. Great for all conditions, especially heat/humidity.

Give a try to the Star Grips wraps. I am currently using the midsize channel wrap and love them. They are tacky - I would not say they are Winn soft but I would put them softer on the relative scale. I do use a glove, so your mileage may vary, but I played 9 in very humid conditions yesterday with no slip. Super comfortable also. Fairly reasonably priced also.

I use the Winn Excel Midsize grips and love them. I have them on every single club except the putter. I played 60 rounds last year and about 25 more this season with no noticeable wear and tear. My right thumb on the driver has worn down a bit but that's it. I practice 3x a week, too. So not sure why it has the reputation of wearing out quickly. I have wrist issues and a family history of arthritis in the hands so i figured that I would get ahead of the curve and cushion the impact now so that it's not so bad later on down the road.

I've experimented with several grips over the last year.

Profile: Mature guy, fingers starting to lock up, never a good sign, 90's SS

Looking for: Balance between soft/medium feel, and wanting moisture management as I prefer not to wear a glove.

Pure Pro - good tack, firm feel, do not play this in humidity/heat unless wearing a glove. They will last a couple of season. If a range rat in the heat, no bueno - wear glove.

Winn Dri Tac - soft feel, not as torquey as Excel, but if they get really wet at the range, they can slip. Endurance depends on use - if you are younger, and play/practice, probably no bueno unless you have hand issues.

Lamkin i Line - runs small to size - start with an extra wrap. Have only used it on driver

Lamkin UTx Wrap - nice idea but needs more of the sand paper type feel between wraps - if you are a range rat in the heat, no bueno. Okay on course.

Lamkin UTx - cord, firm, really firm. Nice grip on driver and fairways for hold in heat/humidity

Lamkin Ace 3 Gen/Justin Rose Grip -- durable grip, firmish, nice tack, preferred over Pure Pro, but you need to clean and wipe them down after range/round

Golf Pride - MDCC +4 - cord, just have them on two fairways - a comfortable hold

Have not tried the Winn Dura Tech - but they are firmish - will probably endure. I think this is their reach out to younger faster golfers.

Lamkin is coming out soon with a new grip that looks like a combo of their technologies.

Best Grips Leather - am rescinding my ho'ing ways so I splurged - these should last 3-4 seasons. Start out firmish and soften up comfortably. As they soften slightly, they get more tacky. Great for all conditions, especially heat/humidity.

Give a try to the Star Grips wraps. I am currently using the midsize channel wrap and love them. They are tacky - I would not say they are Winn soft but I would put them softer on the relative scale. I do use a glove, so your mileage may vary, but I played 9 in very humid conditions yesterday with no slip. Super comfortable also. Fairly reasonably priced also.

I went to bestgrips leather as I plan on keeping the irons for several years.

I do like the Winn Dri Tac - at the same time, I recognize that a particular grip affects each of us differently, which is a good thing because it leads to more choices.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I don't know about anyone else, but I LOVED the original Winn grips. The first generation or wraps, you could actually get 2 seasons out of. Then they went to the Excel wraps and they might last 6 months. Everything since then has been engineered with planned obsolescence. Their AVS grips with the Victory taper were good on irons. And I still used their Excels on woods.

Then I switched to leather. For the costs of Winns, NDMC, or any of the premium grips out there, leather pays for itself in 2-3 regrippings. It remains tacky, and doesn't wear out. I'm on almost 6 years with one set of leather grips on my 986 Tour Blades. I doubt I'll ever have to regrip them again. My normal everyday bag is on about 3 seasons on the leather grips with some visible wear only on the driver and wedge grips.

If you play Winns for tack, move to leather. If you play for soft, there is nothing softer. But leather is the next closest thing.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

This is the first year I have tried Winn grips. I have Winn dritac midsize grips on my clubs and I think they are great for the humid summer conditions we have in the Carolinas.

Callaway mavrik max 10.5

Callaway mavrik max 3 & 5 wood
Ping g30  26* & 30* hybrids
Ping i200 6 - UW

Ping glide 54* & 60* wedges
Odyssey #7 putter

Have played winn grips for last 10+ years. Love them. My driver swingspeed is 110+ and i play around 100 rounds a Michigan summer. I grew up playing GP tour wrap half cords on all my clubs. But never liked wearing a glove, still don't. Don't know why, but it bothers me and I feel like I am going to get further over with the left hand, and since my miss up to a couple of years ago was a big hook it didn't work mentally for me. Another problem i have had with gloves in getting a good fit. I have short, pudgy fingers and have trouble getting a glove to fit correctly. If it fits the fingers correctly, it is usually a little snug in the width of the hand/palm and impossible to get on in humid conditions or if hands are at all sweaty. If it is easier to get on, then the fingers are too long and/or loose. I have played almost all of the different winn grips over the years. Some are definitely more durable than others. I put a set of the excel avs two tone (non wrap) on my CB2 when i got them, played three full seasons with them. now they are in need of replacement, but those irons are now backups and i actually played with them while i was awaiting new shafts for my XTD forged and even though the grips looked horrible, still had not problem with holding onto the club and swinging. I put dri-tac wrap lite on my driver, three wood, and irons and have been pretty happy. Too early to tell on durability. I had some of the PCI hybrid grips that i played on my hybrid, those wouldn't last a year before the cords started pulling out and the outer grip material would wear away. I am currently playing lamkin N-dur blue/white grips on my wedges and those are nice. the seem to get tackier the more they are played. I might switch to those on my irons when the winns wear out. I own a glove and will wear when high humidity or raining, but otherwise i just try to constantly wipe the hands to keep dry. I just had to buy a new glove because my Titleist perma soft finally wore out after three plus seasons of use (that lets you know how frequently i wear one)

Titleist TSR3 9.0 Ventus Black 6X
Titleist TSi2 13.5 Tensei AV Blue 75X

Callaway Epic Flash 18 Rogue Max 85TX
Titleist TSi2 21 Tensei AV Blue 75X
Sub 70 639 CB Black 5-8 KBS 120S
Sub 70 639 MB Black 9-PW KBS 120S
Sub 70 JB Black 48 KBS Tour S
Sub 70 JB Black 54 KBS TGI 80S
Sub 70 JB Full Groove Black 58 KBS TGI 80S
Bettinardi QB6 SBS

• 3 years later...

Sorry about resurrecting this thread but I had a question. I like the winn excel's for my dry, cracked hands. I thought I had heard that the Winn Excel midsize runs a little smaller than your typical midsize but I can't find where I read that. My hands are right on the standard/midsize cut line. Or maybe it is that the standard runs a little thinner. Any help would be appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...