2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Bushnell Tour V3 vs. Caddytek Review/Comparison

Last week I was trying to decide on a new rangefinder and I was confused by the number of options as well as the brands I know and lesser known brands that were available. Since I was interested in picking up a slope model, that put my Bushnell options at well over $300 and that was more than I was wanting to spend. I needed to make a decision as to whether I wanted to give up features for a less expensive version of a brand name. My solution was to buy one of each and then decide. I settled on a Bushnell V3 and a Caddytek Caddyview V2 w/ slope. To be honest, there were a few lower priced options and I chose the Caddytek based solely on looks. They have both arrived and I wanted to share my comparison.

EDIT: Thanks to Photobucket going off the deep end and requiring a subscription to link your photos, all of my photos are gone from this thread and I can't seem to get them back. If you want to see the side by side pics, I posted them in the reviews on the Amazon page last year. https://www.amazon.com/Caddytek-Rangefinder-Compensate-Distance-CaddyView/dp/B01H9VXVT4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1499728786&sr=8-4&keywords=caddytek#CustomerImages

Here are some side by side shots. The Caddytek is slightly smaller and weighs slightly less, but construction quality is surprisingly good on both.

I found the slightly smaller size of the Caddytek to be more comfortable to use.

The Caddytek gives you the pinseeker icon with a larger yardage measurement at the top of your view and a smaller slope compensated yardage at the lower section of your screen. It also gives you a battery charge indicator.

It was quite difficult to photograph through the rangefinders, but these are fairly accurate representations. They were similar in clarity, but one thing I liked on the Caddytek was that the viewfinder has a micro focus adjustment which allows you to adjust for your eyes. The Bushnell is supposed to have the same type adjustment, but it didn't seem to turn as smoothly or adjust as easily. The clarity of both is better than is represented in these pictures.

I took measurements at a dozen different distances and they came up with identical results. I was able to measure distances to 1000+ yards with both rangefinders on houses in my neighborhood.

I did like the jolt technology on the Bushnell which vibrates when it locates the flag. The jolt technology is nice, but I really didn't have any trouble picking up flags at the range today with the Caddytek. I found the digital display on the Caddytek easier to read. Also, the Caddytek is 6x magnification versus 5x with the Bushnell, but it was a minor difference.

The Bushnell came with a very nice carrying case with a magnetic closure, a protective sleeve for the rangefinder and a battery.

The Caddytek came with a nice carry bag (not as nice as the bushnell) with a velcro closure. It also comes with a sideplate that you change to disable the slope function and make it tournament compliant. There was a small bag for the plate that goes in a side compartment on the carry bag. It also came with a battery.

The Bushnell has a two year warranty, while the Caddytek has a one year warranty.

The Caddytek is currently $164.24 on Amazon and the Bushnell V3 is $229.99 (both prices include shipping).

I'm going to take both units on the course a few times over the next week before I make a final decision on which to keep, but I'm leaning heavily toward the new Caddytek for several of the reasons I noted above.

Edit: If you don't want to read the whole thread, I eventually chose the Caddytek and I believe I would have still chosen the Caddytek if prices were the same.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice review. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure the science is identical in all the lasers, the primary difference is the optics. I was a Bushnell user for years, but now I own a Callaway. I prefer the lower magnification (4X vs 6X) because for me it's easier to steady.

Good luck with your purchase, and update review as needed.

X________________________________ Sign Here

Looking forward to the follow up reviews.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

As an update, I have played a couple of rounds with both and I'm still somewhat undecided between these two. I will say that I like the Caddytek in every way more than the Bushnell except for the Jolt technology. I find the Caddytek picks up distances faster and is easier to operate. The Caddytek fits my hand better and seems to have clearer images than the Bushnell. Distances are dead on with both units. The place that the Bushnell shines is when there are trees or clutter behind the flag. The vibration when you hit the flag is a really nice touch. I have found that the more I have used the Caddytek, the easier it has been to know if I'm getting the right reading and if I'm unsure I will take a couple of readings on areas of the green and make sure they are close to my flag distance. I find the slope function nice on the Caddytek, but I could live without it.

I found it interesting that, while playing today, my brother-in-law would ask me for a distance on every hole. I would give him the distance and then he would argue that it was further. He would go find a marker and then admit that the distances were right on. After about the fifth hole, he admitted that they were accurate and he was bad at judging distance.

I will be out of town now through the weekend, so no golf until next week. I have four rounds scheduled for next week though.

How do they work with prescription glasses?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

So, I have been out every day this week and have been comparing these side by side. I have to say that the Bushnell is winning me over. The Jolt function really is very useful. I have more confidence in the readings and don't feel it is as necessary to take multiple readings to verify yardage. I also have found the slope function on the Caddytek mildly useful, but not enough to sway my decision. On solid targets, like a bunker or hill, they are exactly the same. Both are easy to use and read. It is when you are picking up distance to the flag that the Bushnell shines and that is kind of a big deal. Honestly, I like everything about the Caddytek better than the Bushnell except for the pin seeking. Is that extra bit of tech worth the added cost? I guess each person has to decide that for themselves. I'm going to take them on the course a couple more times this week and give the Caddytek an opportunity to win me back.

OK, so I guess I'm not that bright. I was not using the Caddytek in the correct mode and that is why it wasn't picking up the flags as easily. After I figured that out this morning, it was dead on with the Bushnell and almost as easy to use.

I also played at South Mountain Golf Course this morning and gained more appreciation for the slope function. With this very hilly course, I would often get 20+ yard differences between the distance and slope adjusted difference.

d7e7e7d2bab34a5860311160ff0835f5.jpg

Today, the Caddytek was the clear winner and the Bushnell will be going back to the store this afternoon.

OK, so I guess I'm not that bright. I was not using the Caddytek in the correct mode and that is why it wasn't picking up the flags as easily. After I figured that out this morning, it was dead on with the Bushnell and almost as easy to use.

Can you elaborate on the setting that was incorrect? I have one on the way!

TITLEIST TSR 2 w/PX Evenflow Riptide

Titleist TSR2 16.5 w/Tensei Blue

Titleist TSR2 21w/Tensei Blue

Titleist TSR1 5h, 6h 7h w/Kuro Kage Black

Titleist 24 T-100 7-AW, Recoil 95

Titleist SM9 - 54, 60

Scotty Phantom X5, Scotty Squareback

Titleist ProV1, Callaway Chrome Tour

Vessel Player IV Pro

Can you elaborate on the setting that was incorrect? I have one on the way!

I just wasn't in pin seeking mode. If you have the flag icon, it actively looks for the flag when you hover over it. The other mode is great for checking bunkers, back of green, etc.

You should edit your OP to indicate the ultimate winner. I almost stopped reading the thread about half way thru and would have missed your final choice. Thanks for a great review!

Will do

Based on your review and comparisons, I have a Caddytek Caddyview V2 w/ slope on its way from Amazon as I, too, did not want to spend the kind of money that Bushnell wants. Besides, it is replacing a Bushnell Tour V2 w/slope that crapped out on me. I still have an older Yardage Pro (not sure which specific model) that works that I use as a backup - it has several modes but no slope.

Great review!!!

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

My Caddytek CaddyView V2 w/ Slope was delivered yesterday afternoon and got its first workout this morning. I am impressed with the compact size and how light it is. The construction seems sturdy enough and the carrying case is more than acceptable. The non-slope plate comes in a little velour pouch and can be stored in a little side compartment on the carrying case. I like where the battery compartment is (on the back).

On the course,even though the magnification is only one magnitude greater at 6X than what I have typical used it does help. The focus is adjustable and makes the imaging really sharp. In "Pinseeker" mode it really picks up and locks on the pin very quickly. Overall, I think for the money it is a great option.

• 3 months later...

Mine goes in play on Black Friday. I received it about a week ago. I'll need to remember to use the flag/pin seeker mode. I won't use it much as I've got a garmin g6 unit but will be interested in using the slope function on some downhill par 3's. My main purpose will be shooting targets on the range to work on distance control so hopefully this unit will be perfect.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

• 2 weeks later...

Black Friday golf went well with my best round of the year and two new toys in the bag. Callaway Fusion 9* driver and the Caddytek. I will use it more than I thought. Works great with entry shots to the green, etc... it will still be second to the GPS as I mainly got it for practice (distance to targets) and par 3's w/elevation.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't tried.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

No problem at all. Just a finger nail and a little bit of pull and it popped off. It is held in place by 3 plastic locking tabs. Pulled it off, snapped it back in place w/out issue.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

This still holding up?

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

• 2 weeks later...

I just placed an order for the Caddytek off of Ebay based off on reading this thread (Thanks Brimstone). I'm sick of having my expensive Bushnell crap out on me (again) even though I didn't drop it or submerge it in water. I went through 2 Bushnells in the past 10 years and took care of them as best I could. I hope the Caddytek will last a lot longer than that.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

+1 for the Caddytek. My buddy bought a used Bushnell off Craigslist for $70 and after watching ebay and Craigslist for a week, I decided I couldn't find that deal unless I was willing to wait half the season so I did my research and went with a new Caddytek instead. It picks up the pin almost instantly and I can't be happier with the purchase. My friend and I compare our readings and they are always pretty much the same.

One piece of advice I will give is on the case that comes with it. It has a Velcro/button strap to attach to your bag. I hit a bump on my pushcart and the case flew off...so I'm designating one of my valuables pockets for this bad boy from here on out.

Also, right now you can get $40 off on Amazon if you sign up for their store card. $110 brand new, can't beat that.

Still using mine. Thanks to this thread.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

• 3 weeks later...