2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Bushnell or SkyCaddie?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skycaddie, hands down. Sure its a pain to pay for subscriptions, but at the same time, you can get yardages on stuff you don't see, aka blind shots, hidden bunkers and hazards, how big the green is, etc.

At the same time, a Bushnell, you don't need to pay for subscriptions.

Two different devices with pros and cons, but I think the cons for the Skycaddie outweight the cons on the Bushnell

[sign here]

Don't get one... Or if you have to get a yardage finder, estimate the yardage first, then double check with the yardage finder... Many competitions I play do not allow yardage finders, and some don't have yardage markers, so if you grow up using a yardage finder to get every yardage for every shot, you'll be screwed when you play in a competition which doesn't allow them... If you estimate yardages, you'll have a better chance of picking the right club for your shot...

• 1 month later...

I have both, and NEVER use the skycaddie. Enough said.

Cobra LTDX LS, Ventus TR S, Tipped 1" at 44.5, 9 @ 8

Ping G425 Max, Ventus TR 7, Tipped 1" at 42.5, 14.5 @ 13.5

Callaway Apex UW w/RDX Smoke Black 80S, 17 & 21

Bridgestone J38cb w/Nippon Modus 130S SS1x, 5-PW

Callaway Mack Daddy 4 S Grind w/Nippon SPB 130x SS2x, 52

Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind w/Nippon SPB 130x SS2x, 56 & 60

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

• 2 months later...

How bout all of you stop being so dang lazy, get to the host course 2-3 days in advance, pace off yardages, and take some notes of certain things to avoid and what not, and create your own yardage guides or use one if the course provides them and add to it for certain things. It's way more fun and it makes golf feel more like a job and like you gotta get the job done. Thats how I like to do it anyways. Whatever you choose good luck with it. :rolleyes:

How bout all of you stop being so dang lazy, get to the host course 2-3 days in advance, pace off yardages, and take some notes of certain things to avoid and what not, and create your own yardage guides or use one if the course provides them and add to it for certain things. It's way more fun and it makes golf feel more like a job and like you gotta get the job done. Thats how I like to do it anyways. Whatever you choose good luck with it. :rolleyes:

Well I don't know how much time you have on your hands, but when I'm playing a tournament I definitely don't have the time to arrive that far in advance. Sometimes I don't even have time to play a practice round. In that regard, my Bushnell Pinseeker Tournament is a lifesaver. A lot of college tournaments allow the use of laser range finders, and why not use them? They speed up play, give accurate yardages, and if you're not using one, you're definitely at a competitive disadvantage.

It's not like people have forgotten how to pace off yardages, but why "estimate," when you can get an exact yardage?

Your the kid who wants to be the next jorney man pro right? try doing that traveling from tournament to tournament and then be willing to walk off the course for hours on end when you can get in a fraction of the itme with a bushnell or skycaddy

• 2 months later...

[quote name='tdegeezy' post='780337' date='Nov 5 2007, 08:38 PM']How bout all of you stop being so dang lazy, get to the host course 2-3 days in advance, pace off yardages, and take some notes of certain things to avoid and what not, and create your own yardage guides or use one if the course provides them and add to it for certain things. It's way more fun and it makes golf feel more like a job and like you gotta get the job done. Thats how I like to do it anyways. Whatever you choose good luck with it. :stinker:[/quote]

Well, I cant remember you getting to the course more than 1 day early in any tournaments. :):(

• 2 months later...

Bushnell may need some getting used to and sometimes it's a little shaky because you might catch the tree behind the green instead of the flag, but it's reliable when you got enough practice with it. Whereas Sky Caddy is just hella weird, does anyone know how it works? I've seen one in action, and i must admit i didn't see whether the guy configured it according to the course or whatever but... I don't know i don't like the looks of it. Hope you make the right choice, it's a large amount of money! I'd go for bushnell.

How bout all of you stop being so dang lazy, get to the host course 2-3 days in advance, pace off yardages, and take some notes of certain things to avoid and what not, and create your own yardage guides or use one if the course provides them and add to it for certain things. It's way more fun and it makes golf feel more like a job and like you gotta get the job done. Thats how I like to do it anyways. Whatever you choose good luck with it. :tease:

:russian_roulette: :clapping: :drinks: :cheesy: ;) :diablo:

Is that a joke?

the people before me explained it, but I want to reenforce it. Do you play competitive golf? That is just not practical, and I love the point that why would you estimate if you can get the exact yardage?

Most tourneys don't allow them, but some do so why would you want to make your own makeshift yardage book when its not going to give you an advantage over the guy with a range finder (probally put you at a disadvantage).

Back on topic, I have both and well the skycaddy doesn't have a subscription anymore.

Bushnell all the way. If you read a few Bushnell/SkyCaddie topics, you will see Bushnell dominates. Here are my personal reasons I have and love my Bushnell.

I read on this site that one guy didn't have his SkyCaddie for his entire front nine because he couldn't get a signal from the satellites on a cloudy day. Also, if you forget or are to lazy to recharge the battery in your SkyCaddie, you are pretty much screwed. You can't recharge a battery mid-round because there is no power supply.With the Bushnell, you keep a spare 9-Volt in the case and pop it in whenever the battery is low. Say you don't have internet and you don't have internet in your hotel. you can't download courses offline because there is no internet! If you are planning on leaving for 10+ days straight of golf, the SkyCaddie can only hold 10 courses. There is no internet to update your courses. Not all courses are part of the SkyCaddie "network". If you need it to get distance in a tournament, and the course is not in the databank or has not been mapped, you are not able to use it the round you are playing. The Bushnell is also more versatile. You can use it at the driving range to get distance to targets. The markers sometimes lie. At my club, the yardage markers are 10 yards in front of what they really should be at. For example, the 100 marker is really set at 90 yards. The SkyCaddie only works on-course unless they start mapping driving ranges. The Bushnell gets distance to the pin. The SkyCaddie only gets it to 3 possible locaions. This would sometimes not help because one course I played had 6 different pin locations on the scorecard per hole. As juniors, we don't make an income and can't pay the subscription. The Bushnell is also r=very rugged. one guy frim www.thesandtrap.com dropped his in a pond and it still worked flawlessly.

There are only 2 cons of the Bushnell: they don't work on blind shots(dogleg, over a hill, through a tree, etc.). And if you don't have a steady hand, pgetting pin distance can be hard, although Pinseeker feature helps.