2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Shot tracking options...

I couldn't see a thread about this, but there are a few options now out there for shot tracking apps/software/watches/devices etc, some better than others. I'm still searching for the perfect solution which i don't think is quite there yet.

When i say shot tracking, I mean the Game golf style tracking of every shot you play including distance it went and club used.

A few i've considered:

1. Game Golf - well documented and we all know what its about. Personally for me I don't want to be that guy tagging my belt device every shot with red tags at the end of my club. I want something more subtle and automatic.

2. Game golf iPhone App - GPS and shot tracker, but who wants to get there phone out on every shot? Not me...

3. Arccos Golf - similar to game golf but without the belt device to tag every time. This looks very interesting but the batteries only last 50 rounds in each tag?!

4. Garmin S20 - auto shot detection feature, but first reviews seem very mixed.

5. Garmin X40 - same as above.

6. Tom Tom Golfer 2 - same as above, but first reviews even worse.

7. Apple watch with Game golf - anyone tried this? Interesting to see if this is worth looking at.

It seems to me that the best solution (currently) is game golf or accros golf which involved tagging each club. A bit of a pain, but guarentees accurate data. It also seems to me that the technology for auto shot detection on GPS watches is very exciting however, not quite there yet.

Any thoughts on this?

Any else out there looking for a shot tracking system but a little frustrated at the options at the moment...

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am an early user of Shot Scope, it has a ways to go with everything but the tech is good, it's a wristband and it automatically senses the tags in the clubs so no tagging.

Interesting and looks more subtle than the red Game golf and green Arccos.

Huge flaw is surely no GPS distances on the wrist device. You would need a second device for distance, or am I missing something?

I am an early user of Shot Scope, it has a ways to go with everything but the tech is good, it's a wristband and it automatically senses the tags in the clubs so no tagging.

Interesting and looks more subtle than the red Game golf and green Arccos.

Huge flaw is surely no GPS distances on the wrist device. You would need a second device for distance, or am I missing something?

I agree, I am a laser user so it didn't bother me.

$100 pebble watch makes game golf & golfpad into "phone free" apps.

After using so many apps in the last few years I was completely put off by pulling my phone all the time

There had been a bit of talk about this, I got a watch and tried it. 2 button presses on the watch per stroke. Phone stays in the pocket from the 1st tee til the laSt putt.

Comfort brings trust, trust brings consistency, consistency drops indexes.

To OP, your assessment is correct. There are several shot tracking solutions, but it's fairly early tech and still in its refinement stage. There is no one perfect solution.

Shot Scope seems to be the most interesting one at this point in time, at least to me, due to its level of accuracy (especially putting) and limited interaction (you press a single button per hole when you fetch your ball

out of the cup) but you'd need either a laser or secondary GPS for distances.

"1. Game Golf - well documented and we all know what its about. Personally for me I don't want to be that guy tagging my belt device every shot with red tags at the end of my club. I want something more subtle and automatic."

I can understand wanting something like that, but I've been using Game Golf Classic for two years now and tagging is such an automatic part of my pre-shot routine that I rarely miss a shot. I don't find tagging very intrusive at all and I prefer using the NFC technology than having 14 batteries I potentially have to replace very so often.

so Game golf does exactly what you want and you just dont want to use it cause you dont want to be "that guy" ?

It takes a second to tag your shot.. How many people are you playing in front of that are watching you hit? Maybe one playing partner after the tee shots.

Driver - TaylorMade M2 2017 - 9.5°
Fairway - TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood - 14.5°
Hybrid - TaylorMade RBZ 5 wood - 19°
Irons - PING i15 - 4 - PW / UW
Wedges - Taylormade MG2 54° / Hi Toe 58°
Putter - Cameron Newport 2 custom

so Game golf does exactly what you want and you just dont want to use it cause you dont want to be "that guy" ?

It takes a second to tag your shot.. How many people are you playing in front of that are watching you hit? Maybe one playing partner after the tee shots.

100% correct.

I don't want red tags on my golf clubs, a device on my belt, everyone at the club asking what they are and being 'that guy'. I need something more subtle.

100% correct.

I don't want red tags on my golf clubs, a device on my belt, everyone at the club asking what they are and being 'that guy'. I need something more subtle.

You can always paint the tags black, or to match your grips. The belt device is rather small and could be kept in your pocket instead I would think, but I see your concern.

I am trying game golf but especially as a high handicapper I can see how people will think its odd tapping a little box then slicing one OB or fatting one off the tee. Almost like the guy with the Ricky Fowler outfit and staff bag hacking it up once a month, but I enjoy myself and hopefully he does to.

100% correct.

The guys I play with would never say a thing about the game golf cause they all like to play good golf and they know I am trying to get better. And for the people I don't know who I play with.. Who gives a sh!t. It's your game do as you want but to not use the best device for what you want not to be "that guy" is pretty silly if you ask me. I love mine

Driver - TaylorMade M2 2017 - 9.5°
Fairway - TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood - 14.5°
Hybrid - TaylorMade RBZ 5 wood - 19°
Irons - PING i15 - 4 - PW / UW
Wedges - Taylormade MG2 54° / Hi Toe 58°
Putter - Cameron Newport 2 custom

100% correct.

The guys I play with would never say a thing about the game golf cause they all like to play good golf and they know I am trying to get better. And for the people I don't know who I play with.. Who gives a sh!t. It's your game do as you want but to not use the best device for what you want not to be "that guy" is pretty silly if you ask me. I love mine

Good for you...

I'm trying out game golf with pebble watch at the moment which is working out pretty well

I believe what works best for you depends on your golf "situation". By that I mean, are you playing the same courses over and over that you know well? If so, then I can see not wanting/needing to pull out the phone all the time. Then you'll want a tracking solution that isn't hinged on the phone. Since I play a different course every week (with many that I've never played before), I must have something that gives me the hole overviews and yardages to hazards. So I do pull out my phone on every hole - not a big issue to me as I see it purely as any other golf "device" during my round. It's quicker than a laser to get distances to multiple hazards and shows me elements of the hole that can be "blind" to a laser.

So since I have the phone out anyhow, I just use an app that lets me track my clubs and distances by manually "tagging" in the app. I did have a tracking system with the belt device and tags on the clubs, but even after 6 rounds I found myself forgetting to tag clubs (especially the putter). It never became a natural part of my pre-shot routine. I have been much more consistent just manually tagging the clubs in an app.

Played 3 rounds with Game Golf this weekend, all as a single but must have played through 7 groups including two par threes were I basically played in as a fifth for that hole.

I will say I would rather have the option to turn off the beep, but no one noticed me tagging or the beep.

I am more prone to tag twice rather than not tag. Tag, practice swing(s), then address. Sometimes after a shot I couldn't remember if I had tagged so I tagged then checked the app on the way to the next shot.

I play as a single and walk/push-cart most of my rounds. I use the free GolfGame app and also a laser. The only time playing partners notice me using my phone to tag is on the tee box.

Completely understand someone not wanting the device on your belt and on the end of clubs. I dont worry about tagging putts or chips as they happen, I always do that between holes and clean it up in the comp when I get home. Looking forward to the watches getting a bit better, it will happen quickly.

• 5 months later...

I own both Game Golf and Skycaddie Gametracker. Game Golf software is much more polished and easier to use. Also the Game Golf tracker on your belt is much more comfortable to wear. I found the Gametracker was too wide and it would dig into my gut fat or leg (depending where it was on your belt) while sitting in the cart. I love my Skycaddie Touch so I am not a Skygolf hater, but Game Golf is so much better.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

• 5 months later...

I believe what works best for you depends on your golf "situation". By that I mean, are you playing the same courses over and over that you know well? If so, then I can see not wanting/needing to pull out the phone all the time. Then you'll want a tracking solution that isn't hinged on the phone. Since I play a different course every week (with many that I've never played before), I must have something that gives me the hole overviews and yardages to hazards. So I do pull out my phone on every hole - not a big issue to me as I see it purely as any other golf "device" during my round. It's quicker than a laser to get distances to multiple hazards and shows me elements of the hole that can be "blind" to a laser.

So since I have the phone out anyhow, I just use an app that lets me track my clubs and distances by manually "tagging" in the app. I did have a tracking system with the belt device and tags on the clubs, but even after 6 rounds I found myself forgetting to tag clubs (especially the putter). It never became a natural part of my pre-shot routine. I have been much more consistent just manually tagging the clubs in an app.

Sorry for bumping this...

But I just wanted to know which apps can do this?

I am using an android phone and play different courses all the time.

Just want to track the distances of each club I use.

Thanks!

Sorry for bumping this...

But I just wanted to know which apps can do this?

I am using an android phone and play different courses all the time.

Just want to track the distances of each club I use.

Thanks!

I'm using SkyCaddie Mobile.