2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Graphite Design Tour AD Utility / Driving Iron Shaft

cvvorst

Had anyone tried the utility / driving iron shaft from Graphite Design?

It appears to have a similar profile to the Tour AD hybrid shaft.

Graphite Design describes the tour AD utility as mid launch with mid spin while the tour AD DI hybrid is mid launch with mid/low spin.

I'm considering ordering the Tour AD 95 X version from Will People's to test in my 915 H. I like playing my hybrid under 40, so the length should be fine. Hosel size is 0.355, but with a shim it should fit in the adapter. Just hoping someone here had tried it.

Stealth 2+ 10.5 - Ventus Black 6X

Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5 - Kaili Blue 70 TX
PXG 0311X Gen 4 - Ventus HB 10TX

PXG 0311P Gen 3- 4 iron - HZRDUS Red 105 X
PXG 0311P Gen 3 - 5 to PW - Nippon 125 X
Vokey SM9 Raw - 50F

Vokey SM9 Raw - 54S

Vokey Raw - 60K Low Bounce

Scotty Cameron X5R Flow Neck Torched Finish

I just got mine in from Will this week and tried it. It was ok. I'm going to give it another try this weekend, but from today I'll most likely go back to my white tie hybrid shaft in it. The white tie felt smoother to me.

I will state this is my first time trying a Tour AD shaft so I'm not sure how they are supposed to feel.

Ping G400 LST Ping Tour Stiff 63
Callaway Epic Fash Sub Zero 15 Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Titleist 818 H1 19 Evenflow Blue 6.5 85
Titleist T100s Black 4-PW Dynamic Gold AMT Tour White
Titleist SM8 52 Dynamic Gold S200
TM High Toe 58 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM High Toe 64 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM Spider X

I just got mine in from Will this week and tried it. It was ok. I'm going to give it another try this weekend, but from today I'll most likely go back to my white tie hybrid shaft in it. The white tie felt smoother to me.

I will state this is my first time trying a Tour AD shaft so I'm not sure how they are supposed to feel.

How did it perform? The white tie is high launch, so in theory it should be softer than the tour AD I think.

Stealth 2+ 10.5 - Ventus Black 6X

Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5 - Kaili Blue 70 TX
PXG 0311X Gen 4 - Ventus HB 10TX

PXG 0311P Gen 3- 4 iron - HZRDUS Red 105 X
PXG 0311P Gen 3 - 5 to PW - Nippon 125 X
Vokey SM9 Raw - 50F

Vokey SM9 Raw - 54S

Vokey Raw - 60K Low Bounce

Scotty Cameron X5R Flow Neck Torched Finish

Curious as to why you went graphite versus steel? I just had the same debate as I looked to build a new UDI 2-iron. I finally decided to go with DG X100 in the UDI as that is what I game in my irons.

• 3 weeks later...

Graphite Design describes the tour AD utility as mid launch with mid spin while the tour AD DI hybrid is mid launch with mid/low spin.

I'm considering ordering the Tour AD 95 X version from Will People's to test in my 915 H. I like playing my hybrid under 40, so the length should be fine. Hosel size is 0.355, but with a shim it should fit in the adapter. Just hoping someone here had tried it.

Curious as to why you went graphite versus steel? I just had the same debate as I looked to build a new UDI 2-iron. I finally decided to go with DG X100 in the UDI as that is what I game in my irons.

Have to bump this!

I'm looking at this shaft for my 2iron... Played another utility iron with UST vts black 105x and love the feel of a graphite shaft in such a long iron.

Also I play the tour ad di in my 3wood and it's great!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a AD-GT Utility shaft in my U45 and I love it. I have an Adam's Hybrid with an AD-DI hybrid shaft in it that I took out of the bag in favor of the U45. It's hard to compare apples to apples but I have the GT in my 3 wood and it has a pretty similar feel. I've never played a graphite shaft in an iron head before but I'm glad I took the plunge on this one. I fit it easy to hit a number of different shorts with this club when I need to.

Oops, sorry guys that I just now saw this again. To answer questions:

I actually preferred the feel and play of the White Tie better. The Tour AD was a lower launch and felt a bit harsher to me. I eventually ended up going back to a hybrid. I still have it if you are interested in it.

I went with graphite over the steel for a couple of reasons. First being the distance gain from using graphite. And then the feel was just so much better using graphite over steel. I thought it felt terrible when I first got it, but decided to try graphite in it. That helped a ton, but a hybrid still beats it for me. The mishits on the hybrid aren't nearly as bad and I get better launch and spin with a hybrid.

Ping G400 LST Ping Tour Stiff 63
Callaway Epic Fash Sub Zero 15 Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Titleist 818 H1 19 Evenflow Blue 6.5 85
Titleist T100s Black 4-PW Dynamic Gold AMT Tour White
Titleist SM8 52 Dynamic Gold S200
TM High Toe 58 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM High Toe 64 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM Spider X

Prefer a recoil like shaft in utility irons. Tried the ad di and a Fuji pro blue before, the ad di I ended tipping like 1.25" and it still felt noodle like. I went with the Fuji pro next and it was long but tendency to go too high. Recoil now and it's perfect, mod-launch and longer than previous.

Driver - Titleist TSi2 8* - HZRDUS Blue 6.0 60g

3W Cobra LTDx 15* - Aldila Ascent 6.0 60g

DI - NLU 18* - MMT 105g Stiff

5-GW PXG Gen4 XP - MMT 105g stiff

50* Cleveland Zipcore full face - TI S400

56* Tmag Big Foot - TI S400

Taylormade Tour Spider Silver  

• 3 weeks later...

I was just wondering if people are still using this shaft. I have been thinking about putting this in one of m driving irons.

Taylormade Stealth Plus// HZRDUS RDS Black 
Callaway X2Hot 5 Deep // Aldila Tour Green

Taylormade Stealth 7 Wood // Diamana D Limited

Taylormade P790 UDI // Tensei Pro White
Cobra F7 Hybrid 23.5// Diamana D+
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-GW // Project X
Taylormade Mill Grind 52 // DG S400
Taylormade Mill Grind 58 // DG S400
Odyssey White Hot OG 7

this shaft in particular is solid. it would be hard to find too many other shafts that have had the staying power of the TOUR AD DI line. a very relevant shaft with consistent results.

I put a steelfiber 95 in my driving iron. No shaft seems straighter.

stealth 2 plus, 10.5 Titleist 6x tr blue

Cobra 4 iron 
G425 5 and 7 woods red ventus 90x

Tsi2 3 wood RDX black x

PXG 0311xp 5-gw, 0211 G,SW,LW  Wilson ci11 w/ ctaper 130x

Titleist sm9 s400 56,60
2ball blade
Titleist v1x

(Just had a shoulder replaced and I am buying clubs for my fantasy bag).

Do you guys have any thoughts between stiff and x-stiff on this shaft?

I was wondering the same thing.

Taylormade Stealth Plus// HZRDUS RDS Black 
Callaway X2Hot 5 Deep // Aldila Tour Green

Taylormade Stealth 7 Wood // Diamana D Limited

Taylormade P790 UDI // Tensei Pro White
Cobra F7 Hybrid 23.5// Diamana D+
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-GW // Project X
Taylormade Mill Grind 52 // DG S400
Taylormade Mill Grind 58 // DG S400
Odyssey White Hot OG 7

Currently in the process of ordering one from Will People's, he said similar profile to the original DI, but just soft to flex.

Currently in the process of ordering one from Will People's, he said similar profile to the original DI, but just soft to flex.

chch3 What do you think of the King Utility? I thought it was a beast, possibly thinking of reacquiring one.

• 1 month later...

Just ordered x2 of the 85s orange shafts. My experiment is to put them in my 4/5 irons to get more height. I play C Tapers and my trajectory is where I want on 6-P but then I don't launch the 4/5 high enough and so it seems the gapping in my 6,5,4 irons is too close together. Anyone put these in there longer irons 3, 4, or 5, not necessarily a driving iron or 2 iron?

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Nike Vapor Fly 10.5* (Rogue TiNi 60X)
Nike Vapor Fly 3 Wood 15* (Rogue TiNI 70x)
Nike Covert 2.0 5 Wood (Rogue TiNi 70x)
Nike Vapor Pro 4-PW (4/5 with GD DI 85S, 6-PW C-Taper)
Nike Engage 50, 55, 60 (S,S,DS) / (Backup) VR Wedge 52/56/60
Nike Method 001 / (Backup) Odyssey 2 Ball Fang Tank 38"
Ball: ProV1x[/font][/size]

I just finished installing the AD 95S in a 20* UDI, and the results weren't what I expected. Originally I bought a new 20* UDI that came with stock C-Taper Lite S flex. I play X-100 in my irons and bought this primarily for the head only as I caught an eBay auction dirt cheap. Played 2-3 rounds with the C-Taper, and honestly it was not that bad. My misses tended to be very pronounced hooks, but surprisingly to me, the ball flight was very low. That being said, the UDI is crazy forgiving, and a fricking cannon off the tee. I have never been this impressed with an iron off the tee before, and I have played MP H5 driving irons - and this will easily replace my 18* hybrid off the tee.

So I went ahead and ordered a new AD Utility/Driving Iron shaft in 95S. Had it installed this week, and played today. I didn't notice much of a difference from the C-Taper. Never had an issue with ball flight before, but again, this was way lower than I am used to, and I am afraid I will struggle to hold greens into par 5's with it as is. Hit several balls (course is pretty bare as it's 48* and windy now), but my 4 iron with X-100 still flew much higher and carry wasn't that much different from the UDI.

I've got to find an appropriate shaft to give me more launch, or I will have to admit I am not capable of launching the UDI high enough to keep, and that would suck - I love it off the tee.

Have you tried the recoil f4 ? I have one in my 2 iron and I love it

Driver- TC Epic 440 with Hzrdus T1100<br />3-Wood- 13 Degree Ping stretch with Ping Tour 75x<br />Hybrid- 915 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85<br />Irons- ( 4-PW ) JPX 900 Forged with 110s Steelfibers - Wedges- Sm6 Vokey 48 bent 2 degrees strong - sm6 vokey raw 56 bent to 55 , 58 Raw Low Bounce K grind ( 110 Steelfibers in all wedges same length shafts )<br />Putter- Scotty Cameron Laguna 1.5 Studio Torch Finish that I did...

Have you tried the recoil f4 ? I have one in my 2 iron and I love it

2nd this

I had the ad DI shaft previously, Igot an extra club length once I switched to the recoil. Perfect flight, no issues holding greens when needed. Feels more stable in comparison.

Driver - Titleist TSi2 8* - HZRDUS Blue 6.0 60g

3W Cobra LTDx 15* - Aldila Ascent 6.0 60g

DI - NLU 18* - MMT 105g Stiff

5-GW PXG Gen4 XP - MMT 105g stiff

50* Cleveland Zipcore full face - TI S400

56* Tmag Big Foot - TI S400

Taylormade Tour Spider Silver  

The flight is fantastic, I can hit it high or turn it over and hit it low, great shaft for me

Driver- TC Epic 440 with Hzrdus T1100<br />3-Wood- 13 Degree Ping stretch with Ping Tour 75x<br />Hybrid- 915 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85<br />Irons- ( 4-PW ) JPX 900 Forged with 110s Steelfibers - Wedges- Sm6 Vokey 48 bent 2 degrees strong - sm6 vokey raw 56 bent to 55 , 58 Raw Low Bounce K grind ( 110 Steelfibers in all wedges same length shafts )<br />Putter- Scotty Cameron Laguna 1.5 Studio Torch Finish that I did...

• 6 months later...

I actually just bought an 85x for my 2/3 hybrid

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I play X100s in my irons and hated the ad 95 x driving shaft in my 2 iron. It felt super soft, spinny and launched high. It was lighter so I get like I was generating more club head speed but the ball wasn't going anywhere.

TaylorMade Qi10LS 10.5 (10*) - Ventus Blue TR 6x

TaylorMade Stealth 3w (15*) - Ventus Black TR 7x

Srixon ZX Utility 2 - MMT 125TX

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-PW  - MMT 125TX

Titleist SM9 50.12F - MMT 125tx ss

Titleist SM9 54.10S - MMT 125tx ss

Titleist SM9 60.06K - MMT 125tx ss

EVNROLL ER11vx - 35" LAGP 135

TESTING: LAB DF3 Accra - 35"

I have a 95x black that should be arriving tomorrow that is going into a Ping G 22*. I need to add a club in that "gap" that will fly higher and more forgiving than the 21* DHY I currently play.

The fact that Pings are .355 leaned me to try this shaft. Plus the black shaft with the Ping sounds like a sexy combo.

Aeroburner tour issue 9.5 Aldila NL60tx
Aeroburner mini 14* tour issue Aldila NL70tx
Jetspeed Proto 18* Aldila NL80tx
Adams LSP 16* Aldila Tour Green 85tx
Rsi 2. 5-PW Aldila RIP 115s
Vokey TVD SM5 M grind 50*, 54* and 60*
Ping Ketsch heavy

I have a 95x black that should be arriving tomorrow that is going into a Ping G 22*. I need to add a club in that "gap" that will fly higher and more forgiving than the 21* DHY I currently play.

The fact that Pings are .355 leaned me to try this shaft. Plus the black shaft with the Ping sounds like a sexy combo.

Good thinking on the black shaft... mine with the black KBS Tour Proto graphite shaft is a looker for sure... and it performs as good as it looks.

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Blue 6X

Titleist TSR3 14.5* GD AD IZ 7X

Titleist T200 3 iron GD AD DI HY

Titleist T150 4-PW DG Tour White

Titleist Vokey 48*, 54*, 60* DG Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

I play X100s in my irons and hated the ad 95 x driving shaft in my 2 iron. It felt super soft, spinny and launched high. It was lighter so I get like I was generating more club head speed but the ball wasn't going anywhere.

This scares me a bit as I have one shaft sitting on deck for the next driving iron, and it's AD DI 95X. I haven't looked yet, but maybe it requires tipping or different tipping than you applied?

Edit, never mind. I just looked and no suggested tipping on their website. Uh oh.

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Blue 6X

Titleist TSR3 14.5* GD AD IZ 7X

Titleist T200 3 iron GD AD DI HY

Titleist T150 4-PW DG Tour White

Titleist Vokey 48*, 54*, 60* DG Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

I did not tip it (had Will People's build it as well), though I would likely try to tip it 1" or so if I was going to try it again.

TaylorMade Qi10LS 10.5 (10*) - Ventus Blue TR 6x

TaylorMade Stealth 3w (15*) - Ventus Black TR 7x

Srixon ZX Utility 2 - MMT 125TX

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-PW  - MMT 125TX

Titleist SM9 50.12F - MMT 125tx ss

Titleist SM9 54.10S - MMT 125tx ss

Titleist SM9 60.06K - MMT 125tx ss

EVNROLL ER11vx - 35" LAGP 135

TESTING: LAB DF3 Accra - 35"