2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Gps App to Compliment my Laser. The Grint vs Golfpad

So I have a Golfbuddy LR3 I love I also love GPS apps for quick front back middle of green distances and stat tracking. Also calculating handicap is nice

So far here is my short list of apps I've used (paying for premium in reason is not an issue)

I've narrowed it down to Golfpad vs The Grint. Unless anyone has a diff suggestion

Swing by a swing with looper-

1st app I used. Great stat tracking. Easy to see front middle and back of green but I found the GPS not very accurate at times.

Golfshot-

Way too expensive and not worth it. Also ease of use is a pain.

Golfpad GPS-

Great stat tracking. Extremely accurate GPS (+/-1y of my Laser always) fast. Doesn't kill my battery. Can easily play 2+ rounds

Easy to use but stat/score input is slow (requires scrolling)

Also scrolling to see map is a pain

Thegrint -

Haven't used it but seems really cool

Very easy to use. Has an official USGA HCP. How accurate is the GPS? How is it on battery life? How about stat tracking?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ic ic.

How would u compare them in terms of battery and data usage?

From my preliminary playing around it seems TheGrint is easier to input your score quicker (I hate on Golfpad how u have to scroll to add if u hit a FW or sand)

However how easy is it to pull up the GPS accurately on TheGrint?

Does one have better Amir more stat tracking? The one thing I like about the Grint is it uses charts but it seems Golfpad has more in depth stats?

The grint is pretty nice! You can turn the more detailed GPS map on and off with quick touch of the screen, but even when you have it off, theres still a small icon that shows you the distance to the middle of green (maybe the pin actually? I forget). The detailed map is as intuitive as anything else I've used. You can drag locations around to check distances to hazards and all that good stuff. Tracks your HCP as well, and actually provides a legit hcp, as there's more than one hcp that's tournament approved (there's 3 different ones I believe).

I didn't ever use it as in depth as I could. You can track shots, misses, GIRS, FIRS, putts, etc, and it's really quite easy, but I often play as a single and like to keep moving. I definitely give the Grint full marks

Search for theGrint thread on WRX. Quite of a few of us use it. It's a cool app, stats are cool although I prefer shotbyshot for stats. The official handicap is cool, but I have yet to use it in a local SNGA tournament. I wouldn't use it anyway because I have my own GHIN.

I don't noticed the battery because I have an extended battery on my phone so can't comment on that one. Scoring is weird because they consider sand shots half penalties, I get why but I'm not a huge fan. The worst part by far about theGrint is when you are playing with others and want to record their score. If they are not theGrint users, you have to input their email and handicap every time and then they don't get a copy of a scorecard to see all the stats you just wasted your time inputting, but just the totals. Score, GIR%, FIR%, etc..This is where Golfshot shines. You just have to input them once and they automatically get a copy of the scorecard and everything. Golfshot auto creates a profile for them on their website and they can see stats. It's great.

I have only used Golfpad, I do, however, have The Grint app installed, but have not used it (had a free one year membership to Golfpad), I will give it a try this upcoming season...I love Golfpad though...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway AI Smole TD 15*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway AI Smoke TD 20*, Denali white 70g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago and White Hot Pro V-Line as back ups)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

I have only used Golfpad, I do, however, have The Grint app installed, but have not used it (had a free one year membership to Golfpad), I will give it a try this upcoming season...I love Golfpad though...

This is me.

My only problem with Golfpad is the way u input ur score per hole. I often forget to scroll down and input my drive direction. I really like tracking my FIR. Grint, SwingbySwing Golfshot etc have ur entire score options in one line. Golfpad doesn't. My only drawback. That and my HCP is off a touch because it's ignoring some courses I play.

And I do like how Grint shows stats as "best avg and worst. And also have graphs for trends"

Golfpad has much more detailed stats but it's just listed as #s and u have to click it to see a graph.

The only other big advantage I could see with Golfpad is their golftags.

Seem their only really good if u have a watch tho so u can completely negate the phone

I'm not sure what you mean by this. If you're using the tags, then you cannot 'completely negate' the phone, since the NFC chips in the tags can only be read by a phone in your pocket, not by the watch.

The watch is a good supplement to the tags and the phone, so you don't have to pull the phone out of your pocket and you can more easily confirm the tag 'read'.

Not sure how your Golfpad app works ( I have Android version), but if you're not using tags and just manually entering your score, you do the 'quick tap' and enter the score #, the number of putts, # of penalties and then there are icons for 'FAIRWAY' and 'SAND' at the top that you tap to enter those.

Also, if you're looking for just a scorecard, don't discount Golfshot. It's a very solid app as well. Seems like you used it but didn't like it?

The only other big advantage I could see with Golfpad is their golftags.

Seem their only really good if u have a watch tho so u can completely negate the phone

I'm not sure what you mean by this. If you're using the tags, then you cannot 'completely negate' the phone, since the NFC chips in the tags can only be read by a phone in your pocket, not by the watch.

The watch is a good supplement to the tags and the phone, so you don't have to pull the phone out of your pocket and you can more easily confirm the tag 'read'.

What I meant was negate having to look at the phone and pull it out of my pocket.

I currently have an iPhone but will likely switch to android sometime this year.

As for golftags. Would you guys still recommend them without having a smart watch also?

Not sure how your Golfpad app works ( I have Android version), but if you're not using tags and just manually entering your score, you do the 'quick tap' and enter the score #, the number of putts, # of penalties and then there are icons for 'FAIRWAY' and 'SAND' at the top that you tap to enter those.

Also, if you're looking for just a scorecard, don't discount Golfshot. It's a very solid app as well. Seems like you used it but didn't like it?

On the iPhone version u do the same thing but add score penalties putts. But u then scroll down to another section which shows Fairway direction,sand, club selection. I often forget this and get to end of a round with only 4 fairways recorded.

Do you need to do the same on android?

If you're tagging shots on Golfpad GPS, either with the tags or by 'tagging' on your phone, Golfpad will auto detect fairways (because it has the courses geo-mapped with fairway borders). You do have to manually enter sand shots and penalties.

I use the tags with the phone and no watch at this time and it's fine, but I can see that the watch would be useful for confirming the tag, because although you can set the phone to 'chime' and/or 'vibrate', I keep the volume down so as not to annoy others and don't always feel the vibration through my pocket. I plan to get a smartwatch at some point.

I've thought about trying other shot tracking systems (Shot Scope, Arccos, Game Golf), but after careful consideration, I don't think that there's anything out there much better than Goldpad tags at this time. Meaning, that they all have their strengths and weaknesses. This tech is still in its relative infancy and I'm sure will be much more developed in the coming years. I just don't feel that there's a valid reason to shell out more money and switch to anything else. Golfpad tags are just fine. They work well, deliver solid stats and as I've said before, I'm nothing less than astounded at the level of developer support for the product with constant improvements and updates on a weekly basis.

• 1 month later...

I have TheGrint installed on my phone but haven't really used it much. I downloaded several apps to try, but ended up liking Hole19 a lot so haven't felt the need to use the others. Their distances are great, and they're available for Apple Watch and Android wear so you can quickly check distances or register score without having to pull your phone out.

i think you narrowed it down pretty well.

i've used golfshot, swing by swing. hole 19, golfpad, grint, and a couple others.

i first used these as a gps but also got tired of unlocking phone and getting out of pocket. also little harder to see on sunny days.

now i only use app for inputting scores and track stats. i liked golfpad the best when using it for gps. think i'll have to enter the first few rounds in each to see which is easier to enter scores and see stats.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

• 1 month later...

The Grint will work on the AW2's onboard GPS. Once you be download the course to your watch and ready to play on the 1st tee, just turn off the Bluetooth on your iPhone and you will be ALL SET! Good luck.

What's In My Bag:

Driver - Titleist TS3 - Tensei Blue Stiff
3W - Titleist TS2 - Kuro Cage Stiff
3H - Titleist 818 H2 - 19 - Tensei Blue Stiff
4H - Titleist 818 H2 - 21 - Tensei Blue Stiff
5i - 48 Gap - Titleist 718 AP3
Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM7 53 S Grind & 58 M Grind
Putter - Scotty Cameron Futura 5M
Bag - Titleist Players 5 Stand bag
Ball - Titleist AVX
Glove - FootJoy Rain Glove
Watch - Apple Watch 2nd Generation with The Grint App, Shot Scope V2