2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

If you figured out Hogans' secret.....

miles2go

What people miss, even seen it stated in some videos, was that 'he struggled to win, then found it, then started winning'. Reality was he had won several majors and was a serial winner pre-'secret'.

Shooting a video and photos at Augusta for Power Golf (pre secret) - you don't get that opportunity (or interest in you) unless you are already a class player. Even in the early years of the Masters I'd have have thought.

Either way, the secret was about his hook, not reaching the upper pantheon of the game's best players. Note the foreword to Henry Picard in Power Golf. He was already a top player.

Many noticeable differences between the 1948 swing (of which I've only seen one dated from then) and pre-1948. Slightly shorter, weaker grip two massive changes.

Agree with most of this, David. He won the Vardon trophy twice and was the tour's leading money winner twice in the early 1940s. However, he won only one major BEFORE finding the "secret" ... the 1946 PGA Championship, still match play in those days. After he found it, he won 8 of the next 12 majors he entered, and most notably, the 1948 US Open. That was the one he wanted the most, the national championship. It's also the reason he continued to play after 1953 ... no one else had won 5 US Opens to that point and he wanted that record badly. The deterioration of his left eye vision due to the accident caused his putting to suffer, otherwise its very likely he could have won a couple more.

What people miss, even seen it stated in some videos, was that 'he struggled to win, then found it, then started winning'. Reality was he had won several majors and was a serial winner pre-'secret'.

Shooting a video and photos at Augusta for Power Golf (pre secret) - you don't get that opportunity (or interest in you) unless you are already a class player. Even in the early years of the Masters I'd have have thought.

Either way, the secret was about his hook, not reaching the upper pantheon of the game's best players. Note the foreword to Henry Picard in Power Golf. He was already a top player.

Many noticeable differences between the 1948 swing (of which I've only seen one dated from then) and pre-1948. Slightly shorter, weaker grip two massive changes.

I thought the "secret" is the cupped left wrist, but was left scratching my head with the flat left wrist in Five Lessons.

Yeah, shorter swing and weaker grip. He espoused hip restriction in Five Lessons. His left foot or ankle didn't lift as much as in Power Golf.

I also see Hogan going to left foot later in Power Golf. He even said he pushed his right foot for more power right before impact. In Five Lessons he gets to left foot as early as possible. Could be the reason for the different look.

Anyone believe the Seitz article re fanning the clubface open as far as possible? Could also be another change. In Power Golf he said to keep face square.

Another could be his pace. Did Hogan swing slower in Power Golf?

Agree with most of this, David. He won the Vardon trophy twice and was the tour's leading money winner twice in the early 1940s. However, he won only one major BEFORE finding the "secret" ... the 1946 PGA Championship, still match play in those days. After he found it, he won 8 of the next 12 majors he entered, and most notably, the 1948 US Open. That was the one he wanted the most, the national championship. It's also the reason he continued to play after 1953 ... no one else had won 5 US Opens to that point and he wanted that record badly. The deterioration of his left eye vision due to the accident caused his putting to suffer, otherwise its very likely he could have won a couple more.

Yeah.

And many are saying his wins pre-secret are due to his putting abilities, ballstriking is at very high level but not post-secret "legendary" level. Darn, wondering what the real secret is if any

Well I think I overstated his major wins! Just from memory. Either way I think it is about the hook, probably when under pressure, but about the hook. In Maximum Golf and in some other book there are five mentions of it and three 'secrets'. One mental, one is slotting the club, other one is the same thing stated different ways, namely maintaining the cup in the right wrist through the ball, as long as possible, passively.

I think another way is to assume his hook is a huge overdraw and assume a very in to out path relative to a closing clubface. Seems to me he has more extension in the followthrough after his car crash which in my limited view matches his problem, and his right wrist as a solution.

Definitely see less footwork, more controlled, agree with that. Not sure about speed. His swing is fast and furious no matter his age from what I see. Lightning quick.

Well I think I overstated his major wins! Just from memory. Either way I think it is about the hook, probably when under pressure, but about the hook. In Maximum Golf and in some other book there are five mentions of it and three 'secrets'. One mental, one is slotting the club, other one is the same thing stated different ways, namely maintaining the cup in the right wrist through the ball, as long as possible, passively.

I think another way is to assume his hook is a huge overdraw and assume a very in to out path relative to a closing clubface. Seems to me he has more extension in the followthrough after his car crash which in my limited view matches his problem, and his right wrist as a solution.

Definitely see less footwork, more controlled, agree with that. Not sure about speed. His swing is fast and furious no matter his age from what I see. Lightning quick.

The secrets you mentioned are all new to me. The mental, the slot and the cupped right wrist thru impact? The right wrist thru impact, yes Schlee mentioned that in Maximum Golf. The slot? Mental? Where can we see those?

Guys, think about what causes a hook ... clubface closed to the clubhead path, right? So he must have figured out a way to get the face square or slightly open to the path and then zero out the path.

He obviously didn't hook every shot pre-secret ... the "rattlesnake in his pocket" didn't always bite! Remember he played well enough to win two Vardons and one major before the secret. Hogan had very strong hands and forearms as Ted Williams confirmed and early on he learned to hit the rope hook to get it out there with the boys that were mostly bigger than him. So closing the face to the path was part of his swing DNA from the beginning. Hogan was athletic and practiced enough to exercise a degree of control over this ingrained tendency, but when the pressure mounted, the rattlesnake would sometimes coil and strike.

So that morning in the summer of 1947 he takes his "idea" to the range ... remember he had already tried a weaker grip suggested by Henry Picard's and had a cupped left wrist at the top in his pre-secret swing filmed for Power Golf several months prior. He implements the idea and starts hitting straight pushes or push fades... path from the inside and clubface square or open. Next is path adjustment ... he moves the ball forward in his stance to catch it later on the arc. This is born out by comparing pre-secret and post secret ball positions. Can be seen clearly comparing Power Golf vids to post secret ones.

So we're back to the real key, face control ... how did he take the timing out and guarantee a square or slightly open clubface. Listen to what Snead said about not letting the right hand cross over. Think about what you need to do to prevent the right hand and arm from rotating axially at the same rate with the left arm and the pivot. How do you guarantee a neutral condition for both hands and forearms through impact?

IMO, he did it with an opposing force generated through his right hand grip ... one that allowed him to still pour on the three right hands and that could be implemented in one range session. It's easy to see if you know where to look, although we'll never be certain since he took it to the grave!

Adding right wrist cup would have no effect on clubface closure ... hand/forearm rotation is what closes the face regardless of wrist flexion/extension.

Adding right wrist cup would have no effect on clubface closure ... hand/forearm rotation is what closes the face regardless of wrist flexion/extension.

I think it does. It keeps the left wrist from fully uncocking and therefore keeps it from flipping early. Also, since not fully uncocked, clubface is farther from the center of the body, so clubface turns down slower too. Just thinking though. You may be right

His 'secret' has kept him relevant. Perhaps that's the secret. :)

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

P22, p64, pp69-78. P70 in particlular

Ok. Mental=practice, slot=half sidearm hald underhand throw, right wrist bent=at impact

All were elements of his action but all were there pre-secret.

Haven't seen a kindle version. Would like one. The mental one isn't 'practice'. The sidearm is an element of slotting the club ('slotting' was my word when I used it above) as I see it; not what is explicitly stated as his 'secrets' in MG. FWIW I think BH said what it was, technically, in his Life magazine article. I think that is literally it. I think it certainly works in harmony with what you read in MG which I think is actually what he thought about what occurred in the downswing and is the 'way' he did it. I still don't think that the left wrist cup and weaker grip is relevant with modern equipment. Cupping the left wrist at the top to keep it fractionally open as it closes on the way down, simply that.

MG is worth a read to get an opinion on. I think it justifies the high price of a copy. You can definitely pick out the three individual things in MG if you wanted to, as they are explicitly stated, but I think when you read the book they are just a few elements of a particular perspective and approach.

It does, I think, if your mindset is to rotate the club closed through the ball. I think it affects the closure rate.

I don't think he 'adds' right wrist cup through the ball. But might be trying to preserve it (although not by physically 'holding' it with his hands). Due to the quality of film of him at the time it's the one thing that is always a blur.

P22, p64, pp69-78. P70 in particlular

Ok. Mental=practice, slot=half sidearm hald underhand throw, right wrist bent=at impact

All were elements of his action but all were there pre-secret.

Haven't seen a kindle version. Would like one. The mental one isn't 'practice'. The sidearm is an element of slotting the club ('slotting' was my word when I used it above) as I see it; not what is explicitly stated as his 'secrets' in MG. FWIW I think BH said what it was, technically, in his Life magazine article. I think that is literally it. I think it certainly works in harmony with what you read in MG which I think is actually what he thought about what occurred in the downswing and is the 'way' he did it. I still don't think that the left wrist cup and weaker grip is relevant with modern equipment. Cupping the left wrist at the top to keep it fractionally open as it closes on the way down, simply that.

MG is worth a read to get an opinion on. I think it justifies the high price of a copy. You can definitely pick out the three individual things in MG if you wanted to, as they are explicitly stated, but I think when you read the book they are just a few elements of a particular perspective and approach.

I see. Mental is experience. Slot is the top of backswing using the plane as a 3D guide. Page 22 is weak left hand grip.

The plane is truly a gem. Whether you're actually on the plane or not, it doesn't matter, what matters is you have a permanent and consistent guide in your mind to get you on that slot consistently--as Hogan said, time and time again.

Re the bent right wrist, I think in analyzing this we should take note that Hogan's right hand is more on top of his left hand. So, when his left wrist cocks, the right wrist has to bend more than usual. When it uncocks thru impact, the right wrist has to keep a certain bend, otherwise, on a down the line view, the left arm and club will be a straight line

The 'slot' is my term for what is explained in MG pp68-72, definitely not the top of the backswing. Are you referring to Maximum Golf or 5 lessons? The relevant bit of p22 of MG is an anecdote about talking to Johnny Miller in my hard copy. The explicit mental key isn't 'experience' either. I think we're either talking about different books... Or I've given you duff page references lol

I think that's a great overlooked point about his right hand 'strong/weak' on the grip btw and how that's going to appear visually. The right wrist thing isn't in MG and is in some other book I read years back and can't remember the name and don't have it any more.

The 'slot' is my term for what is explained in MG pp68-72, definitely not the top of the backswing. Are you referring to Maximum Golf or 5 lessons? The relevant bit of p22 of MG is an anecdote about talking to Johnny Miller in my hard copy. The explicit mental key isn't 'experience' either. I think we're either talking about different books... Or I've given you duff page references lol

I think that's a great overlooked point about his right hand 'strong/weak' on the grip btw and how that's going to appear visually. The right wrist thing isn't in MG and is in some other book I read years back and can't remember the name and don't have it any more.

Ha. Thought the pages are Five Lessons! Checked MG, so p. 22 is target consciousness. Slot is the world class move or laying off the club. Right wrist bent back is mentioned in MG, p. 76. There are many other gems in MG--simulating impact at address, the grip, the inside right foot resistance, etc. But what I don't understand (or disagree) there in MG is the turning level thru impact. That will make the clubhead arc more curved. Maybe Schlee's ingrain swing is for that (too inside out, or his ball position, or his weaker pivot).

Good catch there re target consciousness. And thanks for reminding about how to lay off

So that morning in the summer of 1947 he takes his "idea" to the range ... remember he had already tried a weaker grip suggested by Henry Picard's and had a cupped left wrist at the top in his pre-secret swing filmed for Power Golf several months prior. He implements the idea and starts hitting straight pushes or push fades... path from the inside and clubface square or open. Next is path adjustment ... he moves the ball forward in his stance to catch it later on the arc. This is born out by comparing pre-secret and post secret ball positions. Can be seen clearly comparing Power Golf vids to post secret ones.

So we're back to the real key, face control ... how did he take the timing out and guarantee a square or slightly open clubface. Listen to what Snead said about not letting the right hand cross over. Think about what you need to do to prevent the right hand and arm from rotating axially at the same rate with the left arm and the pivot. How do you guarantee a neutral condition for both hands and forearms through impact?

IMO, he did it with an opposing force generated through his right hand grip ... one that allowed him to still pour on the three right hands and that could be implemented in one range session. It's easy to see if you know where to look, although we'll never be certain since he took it to the grave!

So, are you going to just leave it at that or actually explain what you think it is? If you have your own 'Hogan Secret', does it actually do anything for you?

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

So, are you going to just leave it at that or actually explain what you think it is? If you have your own 'Hogan Secret', does it actually do anything for you?

As you move from delivery (P6) to impact (P7), don't let the right hand rotate CCW with the supinating left and the pivot so that face closure needs to be timed. Try to retain some of the right hand CW winding or supination so it counterbalances the left turning CCW and you end up with neutral. Use the right hand grip pressure points mentioned in 5L (two middle fingers) to apply this CW torque in opposition to the last three fingers of the left turning CCW. You will feel the last knuckle of the right pinkie pulling up hard against the middle knuckle of the left index finger.

Takes a little experimentation to calibrate it, but it can be done pretty quickly by a skilled player. Been using it for about seven years now ... works like a charm!

As you move from delivery (P6) to impact (P7), don't let the right hand rotate CCW with the supinating left and the pivot so that face closure needs to be timed. Try to retain some of the right hand CW winding or supination so it counterbalances the left turning CCW and you end up with neutral. Use the right hand grip pressure points mentioned in 5L (two middle fingers) to apply this CW torque in opposition to the last three fingers of the left turning CCW. You will feel the last knuckle of the right pinkie pulling up hard against the middle knuckle of the left index finger.

Takes a little experimentation to calibrate it, but it can be done pretty quickly by a skilled player. Been using it for about seven years now ... works like a charm!

How do you pivot in transition and downswing MH? Do you use a weak grip? Do you use your right hand for power?

How do you pivot in transition and downswing MH? Do you use a weak grip? Do you use your right hand for power?

Short answer due to family medical issue.

Pivot - Counterfall, left hip to 3rd base, right hip to target. Grip - at address, weak with hands wound together on top of handle. Right hand for power? You better believe it ... right is might!

Later.

Short answer due to family medical issue.

Pivot - Counterfall, left hip to 3rd base, right hip to target. Grip - at address, weak with hands wound together on top of handle. Right hand for power? You better believe it ... right is might!

Later.

Agree to all. Hope everything will be alright with the family

Would you share it with your golf buddies?

He didnt have one.

I do however.

Yup. He said it all. It's all there. He even declared it. But somehow people think there is, and I think it's because nobody has gotten to the level of improvement he attained--from one major to 5/6 majors in a span of just couple of years. Even some of the things he said in writing people don't believe!

He didnt have one.

I do however.

Yup. He said it all. It's all there. He even declared it. But somehow people think there is, and I think it's because nobody has gotten to the level of improvement he attained--from one major to 5/6 majors in a span of just couple of years. Even some of the things he said in writing people don't believe!

Dont matter what people say, basically to describe what you do is to difficult for you.

There are countless examples from people that say things that dont match reality and Hogan was one of them.

His best swing which btw was pre-accident wasn't optimal and I would loved to work with him to adjust it so it would be.

[media=]

[/media]

Like Jeff does here points out that Gary MCcord dont describe reality even in relation to Hogan.

I dug trough golf mechanics the last few years and I just found the field is basically clueless.

Anyhow, wont reply anymore as I said what I wanted to say.

Knows the secret to the golf swing to own it.
300+ yards and 4% dispersion for unmatched accuracy
Golf God

He didnt have one.

I do however.

Dont matter what people say, basically to describe what you do is to difficult for you.

There are countless examples from people that say things that dont match reality and Hogan was one of them.

His best swing which btw was pre-accident wasn't optimal and I would loved to work with him to adjust it so it would be.

[media=]

[/media]

Like Jeff does here points out that Gary MCcord dont describe reality even in relation to Hogan.

I dug trough golf mechanics the last few years and I just found the field is basically clueless.

[media=]

[/media]

:cheesy: Thanks for enlightening us. I seriously got a kick out of reading you declare how you're omniscient and everyone else is clueless. If Hogan got to 9, then you should easily rack up 12 or 15 majors, right??

Can we see a video of this swing secret in action?

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

He didnt have one.

I do however.

[media=]

[/media]

You will correct Hogan? Wow man.

We should remember that back then they don't use videos to hone their swings. They look at their swings based in what they THINK they are doing. THINK = FEELS. Hogan is describing what he think and feel he's doing. Which is actually the smartest way to write an instructional book. He's telling us the ultimate way to do it, because what we feel and think is actually the ultimate way to swing a club.

If you tell someone to get your left foot on the ground, he'll be looking on his own for a feel to do it, and there are thousand feels to do it as there are thousands of different individuals with different minds and way of thinking. Telling someone to do the result is like teaching someone to do simething without teaching how to do it.

And remember, those feels of Hogan have been learned and tested by the crucible of time and competition. So who are you to challenge it? And we're talking about THE Hogan here.

If we read again Five Lessons and other things he wrote and said about the golf swing with the feel perspective, I think it will be an epiphany for many. Try it