2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

So my 14yr old will be playing as a high school freshman in about 2 months....

Did I read an 18 capper is playing the tips? And coach is allowing it?

Good for the kid to want to, but don't expect to break 100 anywhere. I play to about a 4 and I dont play from the tips. I played in college and like Matz said, even then we were playing 6400 to 6800 yard courses which I don't consider the tips.

Maybe the coach is trying to show him what organized golf is all about, but no 18 handicap should be playing the tips, ever.

I like golf. A lot.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seriously doubt that any kid that wants to play golf badly enough would feel "eaten up" having to play from "the tips".

FWIW...the course that I worked at in HS played at 6490 white/6820 "tips". As kids working at the course, and trying to get better, you better damn well believe that we played the tips as often as we could. My boss then, the Head Pro, told us: "if you want to play golf for a living, you will be playing the most severe courses from the longest distances against the best players. Start today. Play with one foot in the rough at the back of the tee box." Probably the best advice I could ever get.

I wasn't very good, very long, or very straight at that time...but, I found out what I needed to do to compete against those who were longer, straighter, and better.

I'm not bashing either the OP or the coach of the OP's kid, but if playing "the tips" is what is required/requested....that's where you play from, so better prepare for it.

Our high school matches on our "home" course were played from the white tee distances, and I always found myself at a distinct advantage, since I was hitting 1-2 clubs shorter in almost every hole.

Playing the course that long at that point in my golf development hurt for a little bit...but, my pride got over it, and I wouldn't be half the player or teacher that I am now had I not followed that one, simple piece of advice.

And, this was 45 years ago, when a 6800 yard course (at relatively low elevation, but with elevation changes in the terrain of 50-80 feet) was still a pretty substantial course.

BTW... I didn't make the team as a freshman, but did make the tennis team. Long story short...I stuck with golf, and never looked back.

Good luck to your son! And, I'm always available to reach out to, should you like to discuss.

This is not true.

Well it should be :swoon2:

I've been to State level Tournaments, AJGA, and College Div1-3 tournaments and they didn't play "the tips" .... so why should High School? Not being argumentative, just stating what I've seen over last 6-7 years

Why?

When someone throws around the term "The Tips" it honestly tells me they have no idea what they are talking about. Tips have absolutely ZERO bearing in this conversation. I watched Jason Day play with Jake Owen, Jake's dad and Jake's brother this year in a Pro Am at my in laws course. I watched Jordan Spieth play with them last year. They ALL played from "The Tips". Wow... playing from 6,500 yards "The Tips" as adult amateur males isn't that far. http://www.oobgolf.c...php?id=311524 I have been to courses where the tips are 6200 yards. http://www.sandridgegc.com/lakes/ The tips are some kind of amateurs chest beating term and it honestly means nothing. The yardage of the tips is what means something and has the bearing of where someone should be playing. I honestly chuckle when I hear people use the term "Tips" because people are just reciting some term they have heard and they think it makes them sound cool.

The same thing goes with colored tees. I laugh at people talking about what color tees they play. Color tees are just like playing the tips, it has no meaning nor bearing on where you should play from. The yardage is what you should be looking at.

A Varsity Level High School player is going to play from around 6700 yards at the state tournament level. It may be the tips, and it might not be.

I have been to all these events as well and then some. I live in the Junior golf World. Colleges sometimes play from the Tips, I really hate that term, and sometimes they don't. AJGA and State Level events will play Tips as well, sometimes they don't, it just depends on the course they are at.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

This is not true.

I've been to State level Tournaments, AJGA, and College Div1-3 tournaments and they didn't play "the tips" .... so why should High School? Not being argumentative, just stating what I've seen over last 6-7 years

Why?

When someone throws around the term "The Tips" it honestly tells me they have no idea what they are talking about. Tips have absolutely ZERO bearing in this conversation. I watched Jason Day play with Jake Owen, Jake's dad and Jake's brother this year in a Pro Am at my in laws course. I watched Jordan Spieth play with them last year. They ALL played from "The Tips". Wow... playing from 6,500 yards "The Tips" as adult amateur males isn't that far. http://www.oobgolf.c...php?id=311524 I have been to courses where the tips are 6200 yards. http://www.sandridgegc.com/lakes/ The tips are some kind of amateurs chest beating term and it honestly means nothing. The yardage of the tips is what means something and has the bearing of where someone should be playing. I honestly chuckle when I hear people use the term "Tips" because people are just reciting some term they have heard and they think it makes them sound cool.

The same thing goes with colored tees. I laugh at people talking about what color tees they play. Color tees are just like playing the tips, it has no meaning nor bearing on where you should play from. The yardage is what you should be looking at.

A Varsity Level High School player is going to play from around 6700 yards at the state tournament level. It may be the tips, and it might not be.

I have been to all these events as well and then some. I live in the Junior golf World. Colleges sometimes play from the Tips, I really hate that term, and sometimes they don't. AJGA and State Level events will play Tips as well, it just depends on the course they are at.

So you just stated that his coach has no idea what he is talking about if he tells the father "the tips"?

My home course is a par 34, just recently turned par 36 that plays 2800 yards for 9 holes AT ITS LONGEST. Nobody references "playing from the tips" because its a joke, just like those courses you just mentioned. Someone who has half a brain knows not to reference something as "from the tips" if its a short, possibly easy course. When someone says that term, you can safely assume that its a longer course.

I mean I guess everyone who has said "from the tips" in this thread has no idea what we are talking about, we should all go home guys. Listen to Mr. Unnecessary Capitalization.

I like golf. A lot.

This is not true.

Why?

I have been to all these events as well and then some. I live in the Junior golf World. Colleges sometimes play from the Tips, I really hate that term, and sometimes they don't. AJGA and State Level events will play Tips as well, it just depends on the course they are at.

So you just stated that his coach has no idea what he is talking about if he tells the father "the tips"?

My home course is a par 34, just recently turned par 36 that plays 2800 yards for 9 holes AT ITS LONGEST. Nobody references "playing from the tips" because its a joke, just like those courses you just mentioned. Someone who has half a brain knows not to reference something as "from the tips" if its a short, possibly easy course. When someone says that term, you can safely assume that its a longer course.

I mean I guess everyone who has said "from the tips" in this thread has no idea what we are talking about, we should all go home guys. Listen to Mr. Unnecessary Capitalization.

Probably not. Have you seen High School Coaches? I have. 9 times out of 10 they are babysitters that are weekend hackers just doing it to play at the course for free where the high school team practices.

You might be right in your last sentence. That is how much confidence I have with what I am stating.

The Tips is an easy way to say, play from the back tee box.

And after practice, the coach said that if anyone wanted to play a few holes they could. My son jumped at the chance and we walked to the tee.

I asked the coach which tees and he indicated the tips. My son is a very good golfer albeit small in stature. If in fact he will need to compete from the tees, he has no chance. There are a few holes he'll never carry to the fairway and a few par 3's he'll never clear the water hazards fronting the greens.

Is this the standard in high school? Just seemed a bit extreme.

You're already too close to the situation.... the coach is in charge, you'll never change his/her mind, stay in your car and give the boy his room.....

Too close? I simply asked About the proper tee for freshman high schoolers. The boy( my son) wants to practice and play from the appropriate tees. He is an 18 hdcp and the thought of playing the tips was a bit daunting. We decided to play from the tees appropriate for his hdcp and skill. When it comes time to compete, he'll do his best and enjoy the experience.

You're too close. Back off, give your boy room.

This is not true.

Why?

I have been to all these events as well and then some. I live in the Junior golf World. Colleges sometimes play from the Tips, I really hate that term, and sometimes they don't. AJGA and State Level events will play Tips as well, sometimes they don't, it just depends on the course they are at.

I think its a bit much to say people don't know what they are talking about because they say "the tips". Whenever I hear someone say the tips, to me it means usually the most longest tee box placements. I mean you can use it as a joke for short courses but if I heard someone say "We are playing the tips at Seven Oaks this weekend"(semi local course)...I'd think "oh they are playing it long". All it means to people is the longest set up of the course and usually takes more skill to play it. Not always but usually. To be on topic though, if the OP son is an 18 handicap, THE TIPS might not be where he wants him to start out but cant knock the kid for being excited and trying.

Mizuno ST200 10.5* - Tensei Blue 70x
Ping G 13* - Tour 80x
Mizuno MMC Fli-Hi - 3i Mitsubishi Tensei White 90TX
Mizuno MP-18 4-9 C Taper Lite X
Mizuno T7 46/53/58
Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s

Well, he is only gonna be a freshmen so time is at his advantage. I would suggest exercise, weight lifting (maybe crossfit), and nutrition to become stronger. I would also recommend yoga or some other type of routine stretching. Doing this will help him to become longer by becoming stronger and more flexible. The weights will give him the ability to not have to swing out of his shoes to smash it.

In high school we played off the blues or whites for regular tourneys, but play offs were blues moved back. The junior tours had the tees way back to the tips and it was really tough to get used too.

Best advice is give it your best and don't give up - no matter what. It doesn't take talent to try harder than everyone else. Good luck!

Some clarifications: my son is a freshman and has played middle school golf 2 years.

the coach is not a teacher of the game. he organizes the players. there are only 5 boys 4 girls so he will play every match. He is a strong 2/3 position with 1 senior aa the #1.

again i am trying to figure out the "too close" comments.

My son and I play every weekend and a few evening holes during the week.

the original post was simply to grasp where his expectations should be for his practice and prep. A simple question of the coach to determine the proper tee box does'nt seem like being too close.

My son plays because he loves to compete and he has a natural aptitude for the game.

Some clarifications: my son is a freshman and has played middle school golf 2 years.

the coach is not a teacher of the game. he organizes the players. there are only 5 boys 4 girls so he will play every match. He is a strong 2/3 position with 1 senior aa the #1.

the original post was simply to grasp where his expectations should be for his practice and prep. A simple question of the coach to determine the proper tee box does'nt seem like being too close.

My son plays because he loves to compete and he has a natural aptitude for the game.

I think they are just trying to make sure you arent the parent that is like the constantly hovering over there kid while they try to get coached. You always have those parents in the coaches ear about their kid and whatnot. Just my guess.

Ping G 13* - Tour 80x
Mizuno T7 46/53/58
Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s

This is not true.

Why?

I think its a bit much to say people don't know what they are talking about because they say "the tips". Whenever I hear someone say the tips, to me it means usually the most longest tee box placements. I mean you can use it as a joke for short courses but if I heard someone say "We are playing the tips at Seven Oaks this weekend"(semi local course)...I'd think "oh they are playing it long". All it means to people is the longest set up of the course and usually takes more skill to play it. Not always but usually. To be on topic though, if the OP son is an 18 handicap, THE TIPS might not be where he wants him to start out but cant knock the kid for being excited and trying.

I know. Was probably too over bearing.

The point I was making is that not all courses are created equal. Tips is the longest tee box. The longest tee box on one course is 6200 yards. On another course it is 7,000. You have to say the yardage. You just can't say "The Tips".

I guess I could have been nicer.

There are people posting in this thread that I have never seen post in the Junior Golf Section.

You never said anything that would come across as you being over bearing. That is why I got pissed in my response to Par. You never even said that your kid was an 18 capper. I have read through this thread 3 times to see if you said it, and I still don't see that you did, if you did.

That is par for the course for most High School coaches. They are paid baby sitters. They can't teach the game, or coach the game, and use the term "Tips", LOL.

Too close? I simply asked About the proper tee for freshman high schoolers. The boy( my son) wants to practice and play from the appropriate tees. He is an 18 hdcp and the thought of playing the tips was a bit daunting. We decided to play from the tees appropriate for his hdcp and skill. When it comes time to compete, he'll do his best and enjoy the experience.

^ that was from the OP

His kid does seem to have a decent swing. What are his issues that doesn't allow him to score better? Distance?

Ping G 13* - Tour 80x
Mizuno T7 46/53/58
Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s

There are people posting in this thread that I have never seen post in the Junior Golf Section.

You never said anything that would come across as you being over bearing. That is why I got pissed in my response to Par. You never even said that your kid was an 18 capper. I have read through this thread 3 times to see if you said it, and I still don't see that you did, if you did.

That is par for the course for most High School coaches. They are paid baby sitters. They can't teach the game, or coach the game, and use the term "Tips", LOL.

LOL.... HEY!! I qualified my original comment....lol ..... And I've posted in this section numerous times over the period my son was playing HS/College golf....

^ that was from the OP

His kid does seem to have a decent swing. What are his issues that doesn't allow him to score better? Distance?

I am blind.

Maybe it's me, but the fact that you're continuing to post and defend yourself definitely looks overbearing to me.

Back off. You're too close. Let your kid be...

Disagree.

This post was dead for a month. He made two posts and other people keep bringing it back up and adding to it. He was simply asking a question. I have never seen him post in this section about his son.

^ that was from the OP

He has a very good short game( great touch and a very good putter) but yes, distance is where he suffers. His drives are about 185 carry 210ish total. Hits a 5 iron about 150. Hard time elevating irons.

^ that was from the OP

He has a very good short game( great touch and a very good putter) but yes, distance is where he suffers. His drives are about 185 carry 210ish total. Hits a 5 iron about 150. Hard time elevating irons.

Have him watch Justin Thomas for inspiration. Little dude can play!

^ that was from the OP

If he isn't seeing a PGA professional, he needs to. His swing up top looks nice, but there are some definite flaws with his footwork not allowing him to use the ground. If he hits a 5 Iron 150 yards, he should be driving the ball around 215-225. He may need a driver that fits or a different shaft.

I never said you. I qualified my statement as well.

Want to go play a round? LOL. You bring the beer, I will bring the Cigars and we can play from the Tips. LMAO....

Depends... What kind of beer? LOL

Killians Red, Yuengling, Sam Adams, Leinenkugel?

I never said you. I qualified my statement as well.

Want to go play a round? LOL. You bring the beer, I will bring the Cigars and we can play from the Tips. LMAO....

Depends... What kind of beer? LOL

Killians Red, Yuengling, Sam Adams, Leinenkugel?

Beers at my course on me. Be there for a 7 am tee and watch the junior in action?

I'll provide the cigars as well.

• 3 weeks later...