2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

UK Golf in March (Weather / Rain / Best Regions)?

babyfade

Hello to all.

As all my experience with british golf were made in summer, I have a few questions for a trip I am planning at the end of march 2017. It would be great if you could help me out.

1. Rain. My understanding of british weather is, that there is generally more rain in the west and it's colder in the east. I assume that this also counts for march? So which coast would you prefere in march?

2. Regions. My choice came down to the following regions, do you have any recommendations or details?

Fife (I assume that there will be less rain, than in the west?)

Highlands (Arround Dornoch. Is it much colder in the north in march?)

Cornwall/Southwales (Does it rain much more than in the other regions mentioned?)

Surrey or Leeds (Are the inland courses to soggy in march?)

Thanks a lot for your answers!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the exception of the Highlands, which in all fairness would not be the region to go to in March, and is best left alone until around May before venturing out onto the Links. I would say as a Brit, there really isn't much difference. Fife will almost certainly be a few degrees colder than the South, but I have played in both Fife and Ayrshire in February, and whilst of course, nothing is guaranteed, it's still playable in most cases. Exceptions will be if there is frosts, and that can be common. Having said all that, even the South of England is still susceptible to frosts right up until May, as my Dahlias can attest to. I live in the South of England, but also have a property in Ayrshire, and my Dahlias cannot go out until end of May due the risk of frosts!!

As for rain, you're liable to have to dodge that in any part of the UK to be honest, but the South will be slightly less susceptible than the North, but still no guarantees of course.

Stay away from Yorkshire (Leeds area) because the rain sits on the Pennines almost incessantly at that time of year I'm afraid.

Cornwall/Devon or the South Coast is your best bet if less rain is the key, it will also be a few degrees warmer than Scotland. But getting down to the South West like Devon or Cornwall can be a bit of a jaunt from any International airport.

If you wrap up warm, then Scotland should still be a serious consideration, but bare in mind the weather risks are a little higher. As I said though, the Links Courses are slightly less influenced by snow than the inland Courses in Scotland, and all Links Courses drain well anyway, if there is rain.

Overall, (and I'm completely biased of course), but for ease of international flights, I would still say that Scotland would be the way to go, as long as you stay away from the Highlands. I still prefer Ayrshire to Fife, but that's just how I roll I suppose, and as long as you take layers in Scotland, you'll be good to go!

Another area to consider may be the Lancashire coast, which may not be quite so effected by the rain that comes off the Pennines, and the Golf around there is superb. Royal Liverpool (Hoylake), Wallasey, Southport and Ainsdale, Formby, West Lancs, Hillside, Royal Birkdale, and Royal Lytham to name but a few of the most wonderful Golf Courses up and around that West Coast. Just throwing that one out there for you to look at and perhaps consider.

Another area that would be worthy of serious consideration is the Kent Coast. Less chance of rain, easy to get to from London (only an hour or so away), and the Golf is good too around the Sandwich area. Royal St Georges (fantastic Golf Course!!), Royal Cinque Ports, and 27 holes of great Links golf at Princes Golf Club. And Rye Golf Club is a cracking Links track too and only in East Sussex and only 45 mins away. Staying in the Sandwich and Deal area is easy too with a plethora of lovely quaint Self Catering old houses in the area to rent for a week. Eating in the area is great too with fabulous seafood restaurants in both Sandwich and Deal. I would really recommend this area!

South East (where I am), is not far for you and will generally have the better weather, I drive through Basle on the way to my holidays in the summer, and its about 6 1/2 hours to Eurotunnel Calais ( or about 8 hours if you go on the non toll motorways via Luxembourg and Belgium and super cheap fuel in Luxemburg).

Here you have Cinque Ports (Deal), Royal St Georges, Princes, Rye & Littlestone all on the coast, all championship links, then Chart Hills & London Club, quality american style courses a little further in, without too much travel.

I would also look at the north coast of France, Belle Dune, Le Touquet Le Mer & Hardelot Pins, all of which are near the tunnel.

With the rain, it almost certainly will happen (and does most of the year), but the south coast east coast tends to have a SW wind so the real bad weather gets pushed up the channel and into the north sea.

Thanks a lot for your answers.

I still prefer Ayrshire to Fife, but that's just how I roll I suppose, and as long as you take layers in Scotland, you'll be good to go!

I didn't consider Ayrshire anymore because I thought that there would be much more rain, than in Fife. Course-wise I like it much more than Fife (played Dundonald, Western and Glasgow Gailes). And the next time I visit the area I definitely want to play Prestwick/Troon/Turnberry. The problem is: when I go on the websites of the clubs, it looks like Troon and Turnberry are closed for visitors in march.

Another area to consider may be the Lancashire coast, which may not be quite so effected by the rain that comes off the Pennines, and the Golf around there is superb. Royal Liverpool (Hoylake), Wallasey, Southport and Ainsdale, Formby, West Lancs, Hillside, Royal Birkdale, and Royal Lytham to name but a few of the most wonderful Golf Courses up and around that West Coast. Just throwing that one out there for you to look at and perhaps consider.

In Lancashire I will be in July for the Open. But because I won't be able to play in July, I still considered it for our march trip. I also cancelled it, because I thought the rain would be much more than in the east. You have to know I am pretty used to the rain, but I hate cold + rain... so that's why I want as less as possible in march. In July thats no factor for me. But as I read your post, I think it isn't that much a difference between east and west!?

I think you will find there is a good reason that many British Golfers fly out to Spain and Portugal in Feb/ March.

With regard to the above many of the South Coast course are mentioned above are on chalk so drain easier.

Yeah thats what swiss golfers also tend to do this time of the year. But... we thought of a change, because in Britain there are great courses to play in march for a much smaller price than in the summer.

South East (where I am), is not far for you and will generally have the better weather, I drive through Basle on the way to my holidays in the summer, and its about 6 1/2 hours to Eurotunnel Calais ( or about 8 hours if you go on the non toll motorways via Luxembourg and Belgium and super cheap fuel in Luxemburg).

Here you have Cinque Ports (Deal), Royal St Georges, Princes, Rye & Littlestone all on the coast, all championship links, then Chart Hills & London Club, quality american style courses a little further in, without too much travel.

That's something we thought of too. Our problem is, that the prices are quite high for march. And I already played Cinque Ports and Princes. But if we would go by car, this would be the option.

So thanks again for your answers.

Thanks a lot for your answers.

I still prefer Ayrshire to Fife, but that's just how I roll I suppose, and as long as you take layers in Scotland, you'll be good to go!

I didn't consider Ayrshire anymore because I thought that there would be much more rain, than in Fife. Course-wise I like it much more than Fife (played Dundonald, Western and Glasgow Gailes). And the next time I visit the area I definitely want to play Prestwick/Troon/Turnberry. The problem is: when I go on the websites of the clubs, it looks like Troon and Turnberry are closed for visitors in march.

In Lancashire I will be in July for the Open. But because I won't be able to play in July, I still considered it for our march trip. I also cancelled it, because I thought the rain would be much more than in the east. You have to know I am pretty used to the rain, but I hate cold + rain... so that's why I want as less as possible in march. In July thats no factor for me. But as I read your post, I think it isn't that much a difference between east and west!?

I think you will find there is a good reason that many British Golfers fly out to Spain and Portugal in Feb/ March.

With regard to the above many of the South Coast course are mentioned above are on chalk so drain easier.

Yeah thats what swiss golfers also tend to do this time of the year. But... we thought of a change, because in Britain there are great courses to play in march for a much smaller price than in the summer.

That's something we thought of too. Our problem is, that the prices are quite high for march. And I already played Cinque Ports and Princes. But if we would go by car, this would be the option.

So thanks again for your answers.

No problem,

I think you'll be looking at about £500pp for 5 nights b&b and 5 rounds from looking at the golf holiday websites (one advertises here) in kent for that time of the year, id be tempted to speak to them as they could do a deal on both sides of the channel, as well as book the tunnel for you.

For £500 + travel , you could comfortably do Sicily, Morrocco.

One even has Abu Dhabi (flights included) 4 nights 3 rounds for £700 pp.

• 2 weeks later...

Increasingly in Scotland (don't know about England) portable fairway mats are mandatory between November and March. (You have to play your fairway shots from a section of artificial turf to protect the course from divots.) It's not universal but it's common enough that you'd want to check it out before choosing a Scottish destination.

Increasingly in Scotland (don't know about England) portable fairway mats are mandatory between November and March. (You have to play your fairway shots from a section of artificial turf to protect the course from divots.) It's not universal but it's common enough that you'd want to check it out before choosing a Scottish destination.

Personally I have not come across it on the English South Coast -- just winter trolley wheel rules.

I understand it is big in Germany and my ex-US friend over there is always complaining about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Fly into Glasgow, have a round on one of your bucket list courses that you mentioned, Troon or Prestwick then head round to Machrihanish and Machrihanish Dunes.

www.machrihanishdunes.com

Outstanding location, food and accommodation plus both courses are superb. I don't think you would regret it plus you have Springbank Distillery and Glen Scotia Distillery in Campbeltown. Also a wee hidden gem at Dunaverty that's worth exploring.

www.machgolf.com

www.dunavertygolfclub.com

Message me if you need any further information.

Ping G430 Max 9* - Accra shaft

Ping G430 5 & 7 Woods Kai'li White

Ping iCrossover 3 Kai'li White

Ping i525 5-U Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

PXG Bat Attack

:smilie_ping:

• 2 years later...

I live near Machrihanish there is tons to do around here outside golf especially if you like being outside and you like amazing scenery. Send me a PM and I'd be happy to help you figure out what else to do depending on what your looking to do.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)