Nikon Coolshot 80 VR Review

Today was my first round with my new rangefinder with Nikon's Vibration Reduction (VR) feature. If I had to sum it up in 25 words or less, here's the quick version....

"Get Yourself One Of These"

I predict in a few years all the makers will be doing something like this to eliminate the small tremors that limit the precision and clarity of laser rangefinders. I do not have the steadiest hands in the world and my previous Bushnells (Medalist, Tour V3/V2) could be frustrating to use for anything other than just shooting a flagstick (usually with prisms) up to around 180 yards.

For instance, trying to get a distance to a bunker edge precisely with a Non-VR rangefinder just never seems to work unless I'm fairly close, maybe 120 yards or so. I may get the lip itself, or a spot on the face of the bunker several yards closer, or even be unable to distinguish between the bunker lip and a flagstick a few yards behind it.

With the Cooshot 80 VR it is no problem at all to quickly and repeatably distinguish the front edge of a bunker at 155 yards, the lip on the far side of the bunker at 169 yards and the flagstick just onto the green at 176 yards. For me it finally lets me use a laser for all the stuff the advertisements suggest they're useful for!

And while it's of limited usefulness in a round of golf, there is no problem shooting flags from 300 or even 400 yards. I shot one at 457 yards today on the first try, then repeated that measurement twice more getting exactly the same number. Note that my home course has the prism reflectors atop each flagstick, I do not think 400+ yards measurements to a bare stick would be possible. Shooting a particular tree at 500 or so yards is also possible.

It really seems like magic when that VR motor clicks on and the image just snaps into clarity. Of course it will still wander around slowly if you don't hold you aim but it's easy to make slight corrections when you're just sliding a rock-steady jitter free image sliding to one side or the other to get it in the crosshairs.

The Coolshot 80 VR is basically the same dimensions as a Tour V2 but about half an ounce heavier. My only complaint is that the outside is some kind a grippy rubberized coating. Secure to hold onto, sure, but a real hassle to slide into and out of the back pocket of my pants. The grippy stuff just drags the pocket lining along with it instead of sliding. So I guess I'll use the rangefinder case rather than my pocket. Another potential complaint is the price, around $399 most places. I did manage to find a brand new in box one on eBay for a good bit less but deals are hard to find on such a new model.

NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON GOLFWRX

Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the rubberized outer of the rangefinder is a benefit. Yes it can be troublesome if youre storing it in a tight place but for any kind of rain or sweaty hands it's a benefit. Also really love the shape of this unit. It is "fat" instead of long and skinny which adds to the comfort in the hands.

All in all the best (and most advanced) rangefinder on the market.

What are your thoughts on the "Locked On Technology" versus the "Jolt" from Bushnell. Do you still get the same sense of confidence? I am really attracted to the VR as well as the continuous scanning aspect of this unit, but the Jolt on the Bushnell is just so comforting.

TaylorMade Stealth 7.25º | Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Diamana Thump 85X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
TaylorMade MG3 50º, 55º, 60º Hi Toe  | Dynamic Gold X7
PXG One & Done | Armlock

I would also imagine that grippy exterior might be good for not sliding around on a cart seat. I don't ever ride in carts but I see guys who do occasionally having to grab their rangefinder before it slides off. Should not be an issue with 80 VR.

What are your thoughts on the "Locked On Technology" versus the "Jolt" from Bushnell. Do you still get the same sense of confidence? I am really attracted to the VR as well as the continuous scanning aspect of this unit, but the Jolt on the Bushnell is just so comforting.

When I had a Tour V3 I kept the Jolt turned off as I found it annoying. So I'm not really the best person to answer your question.

I will say the aiming mark in the viewfinder of the 80 VR stays so steady I don't have any doubt what it's pointing at.

Aside from that it works like a Bushnell with the Jolt turned off. If there's a flagstick with trees behind it, there is a big extra circle that flashes up around the aiming mark when you hit the stick.

Does anyone know if the slope version can be used as tournament legal? I know the Bushnells have the removable face plate, it doesn't look like these do. I suspect these just have a setting you turn on or off - I am not a big time player of tournaments, can someone please advise if this is acceptable for tourney play?

PXG One & Done | Armlock

The USGA now says that when a local rule allows distance measuring devices the player must not be seeing slope information. They no longer require a removable faceplate or any of that, it is sufficient to turn the slope feature off in a menu or with a switch.

I'd imagine the details of how that is verified would be up to the people running a specific tournament.

Does anyone know if the slope version can be used as tournament legal? I know the Bushnells have the removable face plate, it doesn't look like these do. I suspect these just have a setting you turn on or off - I am not a big time player of tournaments, can someone please advise if this is acceptable for tourney play?

Looks like they have two separate versions. The 80 VR is non-slope and the 80i VR is the slope version.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K (little minus setting) - GD ADXC 7x

3 wood: Taylormade SIM 15* - GD ADDI 7x

5 wood: Ping G30 18* - Diamana Blue 83x

Irons: 5-6 Taylormade 2023 P790s;  7-AW Taylormade 2023 P770s - Project X 6.5

SW: Cleveland RTX4 54* bent to 53* - Project X 7.0 (Tiger-stepped)

LW: Cleveland RTX6 58* bent to 59* - Project X 7.0 (Tiger-stepped)

Putter: 39" Odyssey Jailbird 380 White Hot

Looks like they have two separate versions. The 80 VR is non-slope and the 80i VR is the slope version.

I know that, but I don't want to buy both versions haha. Bushnell gives you the option to have a single finder tourney ready or slope enabled.

PXG One & Done | Armlock

Here is USGA's latest recommendation for wording a local rule to allow use of distance measuring devices.

"(Specify as appropriate, e.g., In this competition, or For all play at this course, etc.), a player may obtain distance information by use of a distance-measuring device. If, during a stipulated round, a player uses a distance-measuring device to gauge or measure other conditions that might affect his play (e.g., elevation changes, wind speed, etc.), the player is in breach of Rule 14-3."

Note that unlike earlier USGA policy it has been reworded to say it is the use of the slope feature (device to measure other conditions) that is a breach of the rule. So like almost every other situation in golf, it is up to the golfer to be honest and not enable the slope feature on a slope-capable rangefinder.

IMO, the earlier deal with the faceplate was an aberration that they were correct in eliminating.

Here is USGA's latest recommendation for wording a local rule to allow use of distance measuring devices.

"(Specify as appropriate, e.g., In this competition, or For all play at this course, etc.), a player may obtain distance information by use of a distance-measuring device. If, during a stipulated round, a player uses a distance-measuring device to gauge or measure other conditions that might affect his play (e.g., elevation changes, wind speed, etc.), the player is in breach of Rule 14-3."

Note that unlike earlier USGA policy it has been reworded to say it is the use of the slope feature (device to measure other conditions) that is a breach of the rule. So like almost every other situation in golf, it is up to the golfer to be honest and not enable the slope feature on a slope-capable rangefinder.

IMO, the earlier deal with the faceplate was an aberration that they were correct in eliminating.

Ok cool, I knew I could count on my fellow WRXr's to educate me on this! I really love the VR tech in this, it seems like an absolute no brainer for any and all finders moving forward. May pull the trigger on one here soon!

PXG One & Done | Armlock

I guess you never know until you try but I tried a Tour V2 Slope just to see how much difference the slope feature makes and was a bit surprised at how much of a non-issue it was, once I saw the actual numbers. Lots of places on my home course where it says maybe plus two or three yards for an uphill shot but the only places where it was a really meaningful difference (like a 78 yard shot that plays 86 because of the slope) were places where anyone would take one look up at the flag and say "Woah, I'm taking an extra club here".

But that would have been different if I played a very hilly course or if I didn't play 95% of my rounds at one place. I actually kept the old V2 Slope in the closet and would maybe pull it out when I go to a course in the mountains or something.

OTOH, I think the difference in price on the Coolshot 80/80i VR is only like 50 bucks, right? Might as well have the slope feature even if you turn out only to need it occasionally.

I guess you never know until you try but I tried a Tour V2 Slope just to see how much difference the slope feature makes and was a bit surprised at how much of a non-issue it was, once I saw the actual numbers. Lots of places on my home course where it says maybe plus two or three yards for an uphill shot but the only places where it was a really meaningful difference (like a 78 yard shot that plays 86 because of the slope) were places where anyone would take one look up at the flag and say "Woah, I'm taking an extra club here".

But that would have been different if I played a very hilly course or if I didn't play 95% of my rounds at one place. I actually kept the old V2 Slope in the closet and would maybe pull it out when I go to a course in the mountains or something.

OTOH, I think the difference in price on the Coolshot 80/80i VR is only like 50 bucks, right? Might as well have the slope feature even if you turn out only to need it occasionally.

Yeah 50 bucks is relatively small. I typically play all over, not to mention there are a number of courses out in SD with some significant elevation changes. I also think it might just be a comfort thing as I've played with slope for the last 3 years or so. You are right though 95% of the holes its 1 or 2 degrees of change which is never really more than 3 or 4 yards.

PXG One & Done | Armlock

The one thing it accomplished for me was on a Par 3 hole that looks like it plays miles uphill. For years everyone I play with has insisted it takes one full club extra but if I try that I end up in the back bunker.

V2 slope says it plays level to the front hole location and +3 when it's on the back tier. I knew it! You hit over a deep gully between the tee and the green and it fools your eye sonething fierce.

Of course these guys don't believe it no matter what the laser says...

• 2 weeks later...

I wear glasses and it is fine but the eye relief is slightly less than on a Tour V2/V3. With those Bushnells I could hold the eyepiece a good bit out in front of my glasses lens. With the 80 VR I don't have to press it up against the lens but I hold it close enough that I accidentally jiggle it and touch my glasses once in a while.

So I'd say it works with glasses but just barely without much room to spare.

• 1 month later...

I too have shaky hands and just ordered the 80 VR for my upcoming golf trip next week. I hope it works as advertised.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* w/Mitsubishi Diamana GT 60S
Titleist TSR2 15* w/VA Composites Nemesys 75S
Taylormade Stealth 2 Hybrid 19* w/VA Composites Nemesys 90S
Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-PW w/Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist SM9 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/Project X LZ 6.0
Edel EAS 2.0 Putter
Vice Pro

It took me about 5-10 minutes practice with it the first day. You basically push the button, get it more or less pointed at the target and then pause half a second or so for the VR to lock on. Then you can move it smoothly around to your specific target.

A buddy of mine tried it the other day and thought it wasn't working. He was expecting it to be somehow locked on as soon as he pointed it or something. I told him "give it a second to lock on" and he was like, "Ooooh, cool!".

Enjoy and good luck this weekend.

If I could go back in time I would still have my Nikon Laser 500G, much better than my current Bushnell 1M. Sigh...

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

• 2 weeks later...

I've known since I was a kid I'd never be a surgeon because of my shaky hands. So range finders are my enemy. I've got the coolshot 40i and it's ok, but I thought the 80i would be awesome.

But it has some serious issues.

1. You can't wear sunglasses and look into the 80i. The screen is darkened so much you can't see anything. I have to wear glasses when playing so I can see the ball so this is a deal breaker for me.

2. The VR in this is a little odd. When it turns on it immediately locks the target at an area. And you have to really slowly move it in order to get really accurate. If you select it and it turns on and you are way off the flag, when you move the rangefinder to get better aim, it slowly moves then all of a sudden jumps and you miss your mark and then you have to slowly move it again. It reminds me of the early controls to video shooter games on Playstation. It was really hard to aim correctly.

I'm returning it mainly due to the first issue. I might be able to get used to the 2nd issue, but I'm not even going to try because #1 ruins it for me. I guess I'll try the new Leupold.

Ping G400 LST Ping Tour Stiff 63
Callaway Epic Fash Sub Zero 15 Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Titleist 818 H1 19 Evenflow Blue 6.5 85
Titleist T100s Black 4-PW Dynamic Gold AMT Tour White
Titleist SM8 52 Dynamic Gold S200
TM High Toe 58 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM High Toe 64 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM Spider X

I love mine. Easy to lock on to any target.

PING
G425 LST 10.5* Alta CB Slate 55X

G430 Max 3W/7W Alta CB 2.0 Tour 65S

G410 4H Alta CB Red 70S

Vault Anser 2 Slate

Callaway 

Apex Pro Combo ‘19 5-A Steelfiber i95S

MD4 Raw 54*, 60* Recoil 110S

Titleist

ProV1 (2021) Yellow / White

I love mine. Easy to lock on to any target.

Does yours do what I describe for #2? I wonder if mine is defective...

TM Spider X

Aiming the VR rangefinder is different than aiming an non-VR one. I had to practice for about 5-10 minutes the day I got mine to quit feeling like it was "jumping" right when I was almost on the target.

I can't really describe what you have to do but it's something like this. You move it approximately to what you're trying to shoot, the VR kicks in and image stabilizes. If you need to adjust your aim more than very slightly it will "jump" at some point but you've just got to ignore it.

The first few minutes I tried mine, every time it would do that "jump" I thought I'd done something wrong so I'd start over with my aiming. The key is to just keep narrowing in on the target, after the "jump" it will lock back in really quickly again.

Where it is most noticeable is when you try to sweep across several targets. If you point at the flagstick, get that yardage then sweep down to the lip of a bunker in front of the green it might "jump" a couple of times while you're panning. But as soon as you stop panning it locks back in quickly.

I think some people may expect this to be like a gyro-stabilized Steadicam platform where not matter where you aim it stays continuously steady and clear. This is a much more limited range of VR than a gyro platform like that. It only locks in as long as you keep pointing somewhere more or less in the same vicinity for a second or so at a time.

Yeah, what you describe is correct. I don't really consider the weirdness to be a deal breaker, but the glasses thing is. With that said, I just saw on the site the following for the 80i:

"Long eye relief design affords eyeglass wearers easy viewing"

Can you try wearing sunglasses with yours? I assume this only means normal glasses, but I'm curious about it.

TM Spider X

I wear prescription bifocals and that statement on Nikon's spec sheet is pretty laughable. The eye relief is definitely less than a Tour V2 or Tour V3 and miles less than the horizontal format rangefinders like the Pro1M.

I basically have to hold it so close that the eyepiece is almost touching the lens of my glasses, if I want to see the entire field of view. I can do it but by holding it that close I'll occasionally bump into my glasses which is annoying. So for me it's barely workable but cutting it mighty close.

If my eyeglasses fitting any farther out of my nose it probably wouldn't be workable.

• 4 weeks later...

I loved my Nikon 80i VR rangefinder for the two weeks I had it. Unfortunately it was either swiped or lost at a private club, I can't say for sure which. Two positive things did come out of it though. 1. My credit card protection plan will cover the loss of the 80i VR. 2. Before I confirmed #1, I hunted around online to see if there were less expensive VR rangefinders by Nikon. Turns out the Monarch 7i VR, marketed as for hunting, is exactly the same in functionality as the 80i VR, except for two things that I've noticed to date. The 80i VR shows the slope adjusted distance and the standard distance at the same time, when you have chosen slope distance mode. The 7i VR only shows the slope distance, if you've chosen that mode. For the hunters, Nikon calls this "angle" distance, not slope distance. Straight distance mode is available for tournament play. I tried toggling between angle distance and straight distance mode on the course with the 7i VR. It's not that practical to do while playing. The other difference is the targeting visual. The 80i VR has a target ring and the 7i VR has crosshairs. Other than that they are identical in size, shape and weight.

Oh, except for price. The 7i VR is currently $100 less than the 80i VR.

Here's the link to the Nikon webpage if anyone is interested: http://www.nikonspor...ders/index.page

I loved my Nikon 80i VR rangefinder for the two weeks I had it. Unfortunately it was either swiped or lost at a private club, I can't say for sure which. Two positive things did come out of it though. 1. My credit card protection plan will cover the loss of the 80i VR. 2. Before I confirmed #1, I hunted around online to see if there were less expensive VR rangefinders by Nikon. Turns out the Monarch 7i VR, marketed as for hunting, is exactly the same in functionality as the 80i VR, except for two things that I've noticed to date. The 80i VR shows the slope adjusted distance and the standard distance at the same time, when you have chosen slope distance mode. The 7i VR only shows the slope distance, if you've chosen that mode. For the hunters, Nikon calls this "angle" distance, not slope distance. Straight distance mode is available for tournament play. I tried toggling between angle distance and straight distance mode on the course with the 7i VR. It's not that practical to do while playing. The other difference is the targeting visual. The 80i VR has a target ring and the 7i VR has crosshairs. Other than that they are identical in size, shape and weight.

Oh, except for price. The 7i VR is currently $100 less than the 80i VR. Is it worth $100 more to see the standard distance when you're in slope mode? Not for me. I'm just as enthusastic about the Monarch 7i VR as I was when I first used the 80i VR. The VR feature is outstanding and is a timesaver for me.

Here's the link to the Nikon webpage if anyone is interested: http://www.nikonspor...ders/index.page