2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Momentus Power Hitter

How to decide?
Help me decide which power hitter to get. The 310 or the 275. One one heand the 275 I might frow out of and on the other, the 310 might be to heavy for me.

I swing in the low90s avg drive around 230-240, looking to cross 250 mark. I am very athletic, weight 150 and 5'9.

Which model should i get?? please help. i played with both in the store and the 275 did not feel that heavu to me.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, go with the 310, because if you use it as described, in no time it will feel like it weighs nothing. I don't use the power hitter, but what I do use is the 6lb Troybar and the Swingspeed longdrive version, and after using the Troybar for 6 months, I can pretty much swing it with as much speed as my driver swing.

It's a really, really bad idea to try to swing a heavy club at the same speed as your driver. Lots of stories about guys that got hurt doing so. In fact, there is conflicting evidence that a heavy club increases swingspeed. If you listen to experts on swingspeed in baseball and golf, most now advocate swinging a lighter club than your standard driver, not heavier.

It's a really, really bad idea to try to swing a heavy club at the same speed as your driver. Lots of stories about guys that got hurt doing so. In fact, there is conflicting evidence that a heavy club increases swingspeed. If you listen to experts on swingspeed in baseball and golf, most now advocate swinging a lighter club than your standard driver, not heavier.

Everything in this world is gonna have conflicting evidence to it. Yes you can hurt yourself swinging a heavy club, but you can also hurt yourself swinging your regular club. And if you FOLLOW the DIRECTIONS that comes with the product it will tell you to SLOWLY build up to your swing, because it may cause injury. Now for me and quite a few people on this forum, have built up considerable amounts of swingspeed buy using some sort of weighted swing device, you will get to a point where you can no longer gain any more MPH of SS, but WILL be able to sustain what you have built upon, when the product is still used in regularity.

Go with the 310 I would say, if you are strictly trying to increase swingspeed. The 310 really isn't even that heavy to be honest, it's the only one that I think would do a lot.

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15* Devotion HB 75-X
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

I should clarify my MAIN goal for uing this product is to Improve my tempo, then followed by increasing SS> TO me a weighted club really helps me to ingrain the turn and release of power. With that said, which would be better for that the 310 or the 275?

I checked the Momentus site and it said the 275 is reccomended for people with SS of 85-110 and the 310 is reccommended for people with SS 110 to 120.

I

I should clarify my MAIN goal for uing this product is to Improve my tempo, then followed by increasing SS> TO me a weighted club really helps me to ingrain the turn and release of power. With that said, which would be better for that the 310 or the 275?

I checked the Momentus site and it said the 275 is reccomended for people with SS of 85-110 and the 310 is reccommended for people with SS 110 to 120.

I

I own both the 310 and the 275 version because I couldn't decide between the two. I tend to use the 275 because the 310 is a little heavy and causes my swing to become sloppy. For me, the main benefit with using the weighted club is to be able to feel and practice with a club that is on plane. The even wieght of the Momentus swings on plane naturally and from my experience it doesn't take too much weight to accomplish this. I swing the Power Hitter at 50% speed max. and never swing it at full speed. Swinging the Power Hitter fast isn't going to help generate clubhead speed, but will promote swing faults and injury.

Regarding tempo, I don't believe the Power Hitter or any of the Momentus products help with tempo. In fact, if they are used too much without switching back and forth with regular clubs the Momentus does more to destroy tempo than help. If someone wants help with tempo I recommended the Whippy clubs by Tempomaster. If you can master hitting a Tempomaster 6-iron you will have good tempo. If you can master hitting any of the Tempomaster metalwoods you will have excellent tempo. They are very frustrating to use, but they work. Vijay Singh has used both the Tempomaster and the Power Hitter.

I recommend the Power Hitter 275 which I feel is heavy enough for most. The 310 isn't too bad, but I think the 350 is just ridiculous.

I toyed with both in the store and the 275 felt too light so I walked out with the 310. Got home and started to swing it and went right back to the store becuase I could nto imagin hitting balls with it, too much. Iexchanged it for the 275. Thanks for all the unput.

I went to the range and it really really worked for me. Nice to loosen up and really ingrained what a good swing feels like. I like it soo much I think I am buying the Power hitter iron now. Great training aid!! i honestly thought all the training aids were a joke but the minute I started playing with this I could feel the benefit, I just knew it was going to help me with my swing!

• 1 month later...

I'm usually not an advocate of swing trainers, but this is indeed the best one (and the only one) I've ever used.

FYI, I use the 310 model.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 8.5° Driver == Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade 2017 M2 Tour 15° FW == Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
Titleist 816H2 19° Hybrid == Veylix Rome 988 S+
Miura 1957 Small Blade 4-PW Irons == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM6 50°, 54°, 58° Custom Wedges == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Scotty Cameron "Cameron & Crown" M2 Putter
Nike RZN Tour Black Golf Balls

I bought a Power Hitter 275 back in May. I have used it almost every day since then. It has really changed my game. I have added 25 to 30 yards to my drives. I know this because I play my home course 2 to 3 times a week and know where I used to hit my drives to. Not only has it added distance, but it has helped my swing greatly. Since I bought the Power Hitter I have shot my lowest ever score of 66. Just don't get one that is too heavy. It will do more harm than good.

[b]Driver:[/b] [b]COBRA X SPEED 8.5
Fairway Woods: TAYLORMADE R580 3 AND 5 [/b]
[b]HYBRIDS: HOGAN CFT 3 OR 4
Irons: CALLAWAY X12 6-AW
Wedges: TITLEIST 56*, 60*
Putter: ODYSSEY WHITE ICE 2 BALL
Ball: PENTA TP5[/b]

There is a UPS driver that works nights that is at my club every morning when it opens. He hits balls with it and the hits a Callaway Ft5. He hooks it in the woods a lot. It has made an obvious hitch in his swing. I hit it once. They used to make persimmon woods that had D9 or E0 swingweights. Feels like that. I hit it pretty straight. But could see now advantage gained. And i dont want a hitch in my swing. More like Leonard Thompson on the senior tour. If anyone can remember.

Just don't get one that is too heavy. It will do more harm than good.

I can second that, I have a 350 and while I can swing it for the first couple of weeks I think it hurt me more than helping because I had to change my swing slightly for the extra weight. Now that I realized what I did and working with it better it's starting to help. It's really great to stretch with as well.

• 6 years later...