2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Curious if I could get a little input

golfwire

Swing related
So I'm a mid high handicapper that has struggled my swing consistency but recently, I made a small change where I am opening up my stance a little...maybe just about 15-30 degrees or so and this small opening up on my stance has given me the most consistent golfing that I have possibly ever had...am I losing a little distance...yes a little maybe 10 yards are so but I am pretty long with my irons anyways so I'm right around average now (7 iron going about 155 with the new modification, before around 160-165)

I'm hitting the ball straighter (used to struggle with a push) and higher then I ever have...it's really let me get my club head around and square to the ball better then I ever have before...

My question is...I know, in terms of pure golf technique, I shouldn't be doing this...I should be lined up straight with my target line...I guess what I'm asking is, since I am serious about continuing to improve...should I eschew this change I've made and go get some lessons and figure out what I was doing wrong originally with a feet aligned textbook style because I might end up plateauing so to speak if I continue to get better? I would have to think it limits my opportunity, as I get better, to work the ball...or do you think I should just be happy that I'm hitting it straight and up and roll with it?

If this sounds sorta weird, I apologize...most people would be happy with looking sorta dumb with an open stance but hitting the ball straight versus looking like a textbook swing but pushing the ball way right...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's nothing wrong with lining up open to the target if it allows you to make a consistent, repeatable golf swing. As long as you know you're doing it, and able to keep it under control, it shouldn't be a problem. Lots of tour pros have various compensations in their swings far more egregious than a slightly open stance.

Thanks for the reply. It just seems so...contrarian...I started playing golf in HS and played varsity golf...I was never hot stuff but our coach was all text book, I guess its ingrained in me...I feel dirty for sticking with this tweak that has worked for me...maybe I can say 15 hail marys and be done with my guilt lol

Thanks for the reply. It just seems so...contrarian...I started playing golf in HS and played varsity golf...I was never hot stuff but our coach was all text book, I guess its ingrained in me...I feel dirty for sticking with this tweak that has worked for me...maybe I can say 15 hail marys and be done with my guilt lol

Worked ok for this guy :aggressive:

jack.jpg

An open stance can help for a lot of reasons- my guess is your loss of distance and improvement in consistency comes from a forced shortening of the swing due to your hips being a little more restricted. For some, it could help with an inside take away or an inside angle of attack. Hogan, for example, did the opposite (closed his stance with some of the longer clubs) b/c he had a tendency to take the club outside the line. Good luck w/ your change

Not to pick on you, but define "pure golf technique"...

As a few others have eluded...Jack Nicklaus, Lee Trevino, Bruce Lietzke, Arnold Palmer, etc...

Sometimes we get it into our heads that there is a "perfect" swing motion. Yes, some swings may be more "effecient" than others, but ultimately you want to develop one that you can repeat under pressure.

I'm no old timer, but even I have noticed how the "modern swing" looks very similiar across the entire range of pro golfers. I've seen the older footage (shells wonderful world and challenge golf) and every single player had his very own swing. I'm sure its a result of the "name" teacher. . .haney, harmon, leadbetter, so on and so forth. golf swings are so "learned" these days that they all look the same.

but no one would have to guts to come on here and tell everyone that jim furyk is an idiot for swinging the club the way he does. :partytime2:

of course, the modern golf swing is also easier to learn, with the concept of "positions" which should be reached throughout the swing. there are unorthodox swings that work, but sometimes those things that make a swing different also make it ineficient and hard to repeat.

but I've seen people with some really ugly swings, who know exactly what the ball is going to do. a guy I got paired with comes to mind. . .he set up about 30* closed and hit a high ugly draw. he was in the fairway more than I was. now all he has to do is realize that there is a chipping green next to the range and he might become an alright golfer.

So I'm a mid handicapper that has struggled my swing consistency but recently, I made a small change where I am opening up my stance a little...maybe just about 15-30 degrees or so and this small opening up on my stance has given me the most consistent golfing that I have possibly ever had...am I losing a little distance...yes a little maybe 10 yards are so but I am pretty long with my irons anyways so I'm right around average now (7 iron going about 155 with the new modification, before around 160-165)

I'm hitting the ball straighter (used to struggle with a push) and higher then I ever have...it's really let me get my club head around and square to the ball better then I ever have before...

I don't see how you're hitting it straighter. All you've managed to do is aim left of your target. You admit that you pushed the ball in the past.

15-30 degrees is NOT a "little". 5 degrees is a little.

Thanks for the input guys.

Was at the range again today...sure enough, I'm hitting the ball better then I ever have. Its really only a 10-15 degree opening of my stance. I'm going pretty much dead center to my target line as if I was lined up perfectly at the ball with both feet leading my target line. I take my target line then open up my stance....and go right at the ball and its going straight...