2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Worst round

dice055

whats your story?
well alot of this was caused by losing focus but on a par five i hit a tee ball into the water take my drop hit it into the fairway shank a ball into the woods drop hit into a bunker walk up to find that it is plugged in the lip no shot to the green have to play to the side of the bunker chip on and two putt for a nice 10....

12 holes later i sliced my ball into some heather a guy gives me a thumbs up so i dont hit a provisional guy goes its right over here well we ended up not finding it im gettign ma sliced another ball goign toward the same spot again i get a thumbs up so i dont hit a provisionalhe says it hit a tree so we search for where it could be out of the corner of my eye i see it and sure enough it is lodged in the fork of a tree i take my unplayable and end up making a 9......

ended up shooting a presitguous 104 didnt talk to anyone for the next few hours contemplated quiting eventually sucked it up and dubbed it a bad day..next day same course shot 87 thats more like it

anyone want to share stories about that one round that you thought couldnt possibly get any worse

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not only is this my worst round of golf, but it is my most embarassing golf story as well...

My senior year of high school I had this home match, and the weather was terrible all day. Along with already having a crappy day anyways, it was pouring rain and very windy and it only got worse as we got closer to teeing off.

Well, along with the elements being ridiculous, I for some reason shanked a few shots right off the bat, which is weird because I NEVER shank the ball. Maybe it's because I didn't warm up at all because I didn't want to stand out in the rain, but usually not warming up doesn't really bother me either. Regardless, even when I was hitting great shots, the wind was turning them every which way, and with the way my day had already been going, I was as frustrated as I've ever been.

So I was 8 over thru 5, soaking wet, numb, and pissed off. I KILLED my drive into the wind on #6, a short-ish par 4. So I had a little knock-down sand wedge into the green, trying to keep it below the ridiculous wind and rain. In the back of my mind I'm thinking "Ok, lets make a birdie or good par here and get back on track!"

I shanked it...

This was the absolute last straw, and I have NEVER been more frustrated in my life. I went over and picked up my ball out of the rough, threw it in the trees, and walked off the course. At the time it didn't really seem like an idiot idea, for some reason.

After sitting and waiting for my team to finish, my coach suspended me for a week, and I had to come back with an apology to the team, my coach, and the golf course. I was our #1 golfer, the only senior on the team, and the team captain, so I felt really stupid because I was supposed to be a leader. Whats worse is that I was interviewing on our local radio the next week when I came back and so the entire town heard about the whole story and it was just the worst feeling of my life. I'll never quit again!!! That's for sure!

I'm about a ten handicap and, one morning after getting ridiculously hammered the night before, I decided to play golf. I kind of brag to some of my friends that I've never really experienced a hangover. Not this day. I felt it and felt it bad. I doubled the first hole, tripled the second (easiest hole on the golf course), doubled the third and doubled the fourth. I was nine over through four and decided to quit keeping score. As the hangover finally wore off, I think I finished the round SOMEWHAT respectively, but it was still a disasterous day.

To the poster above me, about the shanks. They're the worst aren't they. By chance, I played with two members of the University of Florida golf team on a really busy day at the course. I was on a 180 yard par three, took out my four iron and shanked the thing straight right into the bushes. It was just a miserable feeling doing that in front of those guys.

Where do I start?

Worst ever....probably my first round as a pro (I've since gotten my am status back). My first tee shot hooked into the water. My drop on the hill resulted in a shank back into the water. I don't remember exactly what I shot that day or anything, but I remember it was bad and over 90.

I showed up the next day to miss the cut though...didn't wie-thdraw like someone we know of and I'm proud of that. Got it turned around from there.

-mini

Worst round this year... easy! Played with a few guys from the board, get there meet 2 of the guys great guys... I get over the ball and all of a sudden, i couldn't hit the ball! Standing over the ball I felt like I was stranded in the middle of Russia not knowing the language or the country or any of the cultures... it was foreign to me! It was my 4th round out, I had shot 90 89 90...pretty good start of the season.. I shot a 104, and it was HORRIFIC! Embarrasing aggrivating...just rediculous... Spent a $1 a shot that day...wtf! I rarely play a course of that price, saved my pt job money so I could play without upsetting the scales of family happiness... Worste ever!

Although, I played with my on our anniversary this year, and I played the front nine to a horrific 48!!!!! Kind of like the guy above dboule triple double... I mean it was terrible! I couldn't putt to save my life, I thought I left my putter at home and was using my hockey stick because every putt was a slapper! Even worse we played with the worst couple ever!!! Guy had the worst swing and he would play his irons all f*ked up... he'd turn his pw into a 3iron the way he held the club, just closed that club up... wtf! skipped shots on his scores etc... He'd say I got a 4..when it was a 6..his wife, would waggle for 2 mins everyshot!!!!!!!! whether it went 10ft 10in or 100 yards 2 min waggle! Ranger was all over us, and I said it's out of my control... he came up and I got pissed off and told him... better get your a** over to the other cart and lay into her! anyways, we broke off from them and he gave us an extra 9 holes...anyways, finshed out the with 4 pars a flop shot birdie from 20 ft and a bogie... Miller Lite to the rescue of my nerves!

SiD

My worst was at Los Rios CC in Plano TX. I don't know why - but EVERY Shot I hit was going left or right. I couldn't control my swing whatsoever, and ended up losing about 10-11 balls, had to borrow a couple from my playing partners. That's never happened before, I think I ended up with a 105-110 or something.

Not my worst round ever cause that would have been when I first started but a couple weeks ago I shot 101 at MY HOME COURSE!!!!!! OMG. I live in the Dallas/Ft.Worth Area and as some of you know we got rain for 23 straight days I think. The tournament shouldn't have been played but o well. I was playing like poo thru 16 holes and then on number 8 my second to last hole, its a short 300yard par 4 w/ about a 20yard wide fairway w/ trees to one side and the driving range to the other. I hit a good tee shot down teh middle of the fairway but the entire fairway is muck, no where to take releif but about 20 yards infront of the tee box so I figure hey, I dont wanna go all the way back so I just kept hacking away at a ball in the mud, that got me a quad and proceded to quad number 9 also..I was a little angry. And guess what, the next day, it rained and it rained hard the whole course was under about 5 feet of water, you could barely see the greens a friend and I took a little aluminum canoe out there :partytime2:

worst round ever was my first (last June) which was 120, but i only had a 5 wood, an 8 iron and a putter...

worst round this year was a 101... just couldn't hit a ball all day... i pretty much gave up after 12 holes, but finished the round and ended up parring the last 2 holes... it was a rough day for sure, but i've only been playing since last year, so i still expect those days once in awhile...

it's nothing though, cause i play with guys that have been playing for 5+ years and they still shoot 120+ at times, rarely breaking 100 actually...

In the second round of last year's club championship, on the 4 hole, I hooked a ball that appeared to go out of bounds. Re-tee'd another ball and hit the same shot, then re-tee'd and hit the same shot again. Like an idoit, I didn't mark my balls as the 2nd or 3rd ball in play. When I arrived to the balls, one was in, the other two were OB. I had no choice but to play the in bounds ball as the 3rd ball. Took a 9 there.

Hit another OB on the 6th.

On the 7th hole, a par 3, I hit my tee shot to the left. I had to play a pitch over a tree limb.....which proceeded to hit the limb and stay there.....15 feet up. Sad to say, I WD'd from there, which I'm not proud of. I'd had all I could take.

$LEFTY$  

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 65S - Taylormade Stealth 2 3W HL w/ Fugi Ventus TR 6-S - Callaway Big Bertha Max 4H w/ Recoil 75 - Srixon Zx5 5i-PW w/ Recoil 95 - Titleist SM8 48 & 52 w/ Recoil 110 - Callaway JAWS 56 w/ Recoil 110 - Ping Tour-W 60 w/ Recoil 110 - Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 34 - Taylormade TP5X - PING Hoofer

Two week ago I played at Memorial Golf Course as a walk on I was paired with three local pros. I played great 6 birdie 2 bogeys for 4 under total. They asked me to play in their weekly game of about 15-30 people the next week at Champions C.C. I proceeded to top, shank, pull, skull, etc, etc every shot. Mind you not one or two but EVERY shot. Must of shot 90. Made up for it since then with the group but what a first impression.

i dont know if its nervousness or what but i got paired up with the local college golf coach and i was like sweet so i tee up the ball hook into a pond ended up with a bogey im like ok then duff my next tee shot into rough and shanked the ball 3 more times could get my act togethor by the 6th hole it looked like it was going to rain i told them uh i have to put my windows up ill see you ( i play for free since i work at the course so i wasnt out any money leaving not even mid round... shouldn't of quit but i was so embarassed) i make an effort to never be a single from now on

a couple weeks ago, after all the rain here in Oklahoma, we played a 9 hole course.

on hole 8, par 5, i sliced my tee shot into the water. rehit from the tee with 3 wood instead of driver, and managed to have the ball land on the edge of the bank. as we walked up to the ball, it fell in the water. took a drop into a deceptive area that didn't look like it was mud, but definitely was.

hacked a shot into the water. (poor footing played a very key role during this hole)

hacked another shot off a tree into the water.

hacked another shot off the same tree into the driving range.

took a drop and finally made decent contact.

about 112 yards out, shanked a ball into a small creek infront of the green.

took another drop. chipped up to the green and three putted to top off the hole. :partytime2:

however, i made par on the 9th.

Sophomore year of high school golf on the varsity team, I was playing the number 3 spot out of 6. It was a 9 hole match and I was shooting around 38-40 on average. Made par the first hole, came to the second hole which was a par 3 over water, probably about 160 yards.

Chunked my first shot in the water and took a drop in the drop area behind the water.

I proceded to chunk my next 4 balls right into the water. I hit the exact same shot 5 times in a row! :partytime2:

The real problem was when I realized I was down to my last ball (oh no). I chipped my ball well around the water and scored either a 14 or 15. I finished the rest of the round only a few shots over par.

I don't know if I have ever been more embarassed, but fortunately the guys I was playing with were sympathetic and congratulated me on my strong finish. Needless to say the team didn't use my score that day.

Not my worst scoring round but definately the one I wanted a hole in the sand for my head. It was my last tournament in college. Our coach gets the team there just in enough time for me to run to the first tee and have one minute to get ready before I'm DQed. I hit my drive down the middle of the fairway, about 270. I hit my second shot at an almost 90 degree angle. This happened all through the round. I hit every driver and fairway wood better than at any time in my life but could only shank my irons. I finally had my coach take all of my irons, leaving me with just my driver, three wood, sand and lob wedges, and putter. I used my putter in the fairway and eventually finished the round. The next day I sold those irons and did not touch a club for two months. Went out after my sabbatical and shot 75 because I could not putt. I only missed two greens all day. Go figure.