2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Edel Single Length Irons

sfiggins

Looking forward to some reviews and comparisons between Wishon, Cobra and Edel.. . bring it :golfer:

Yes, and I also hope that people will share some stories about how single length irons have impacted their game. Those of us who have been evangelizing about this technology are getting a little lonely.

My handicap with typical variable length hovered around 15 my current handicap playing single length is 7.

I would credit half of the improvement to single length and the other half to improved playing.

For me it just took all the wacky shots out of the round, do I miss greens and whatnot sure. Do I hit wild shots that are dramatically off target, almost never.

Nice. We need more of these kinds of stories.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking forward to some reviews and comparisons between Wishon, Cobra and Edel.. . bring it :golfer:

Yes, and I also hope that people will share some stories about how single length irons have impacted their game. Those of us who have been evangelizing about this technology are getting a little lonely.

My handicap with typical variable length hovered around 15 my current handicap playing single length is 7.

I would credit half of the improvement to single length and the other half to improved playing.

For me it just took all the wacky shots out of the round, do I miss greens and whatnot sure. Do I hit wild shots that are dramatically off target, almost never.

Fantastic! Which set did you get?

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

I have one of only a couple of sets of the original single length Edel's that David Edel made himself. I know he had a set for Dechambeau, myself and I believe one more Golfwrx guy.

I'm going to get fit into these at some point and then probably sell my old set.

The biggest change for me was switching to a very upright swing similar to Dechambeau. My lie angle with my old variable length set was 65 on a 7 iron. I now play all my irons at 70 and that helped TREMENDOUSLY.

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

Cobra Tec 17, 21, 24 hybrids

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

I have one of only a couple of sets of the original single length Edel's that David Edel made himself. I know he had a set for Dechambeau, myself and I believe one more Golfwrx guy.

I'm going to get fit into these at some point and then probably sell my old set.

The biggest change for me was switching to a very upright swing similar to Dechambeau. My lie angle with my old variable length set was 65 on a 7 iron. I now play all my irons at 70 and that helped TREMENDOUSLY.

Wow! Good to hear and hope for those who have to jump in at a lower price point. If I could I would get the Edel's, but I can get a deal on Cobra's. I Dig the Edel's though.. I feel that my swing would benefit from SL. My misses would be fewer and much less pronounced. At my height I play 1/2 over, even had my wedges match the length of my 9i. More upright would suit me better,,,, I believe...

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

Can we see some pictures of your irons?

I have 2 sets and there is something like 8 sets out there

Interesting, while Bryson's clubs are upright, his swing is not. He sets the club at 63 degrees at address, and his club is on the same plane at the top and at impact.

I have 2 sets and there is something like 8 sets out there

I had no idea they were even eight of them out there that's pretty cool

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

Interesting, while Bryson's clubs are upright, his swing is not. He sets the club at 63 degrees at address, and his club is on the same plane at the top and at impact.

Not sure I agree with that with a driver or 3 wood sure

His irons are set at 73 lie angle if he swings them at 63 at impact he would have some serious directional issues

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

Irons: Cobra Fly-Z+ (3, 5), Edel Forged Prototype (6-9)

Shafts: KBS C-Taper Lite 115X

Length, Lie: 37.5 inches, 73 degrees

Head weight: 280 grams

Lofts: 20 (3), 25 (4), 30 (5), 34 (6), 38 (7), 42 (8), 46 (9)

Wedges: Cobra King (50, 55 and 60 degrees)

Shafts: KBS Hi-Rev 135X

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

Mine showed up today. It is 44 degrees and super windy but I managed to hit a few. Playing the next two days to get them dialed in. They look ridiculous awesome!

Have to also say that customer service was beyond fantastic. Top notch from fitting to shipping and communication process. After hitting the GW today, I may revisit the SW later.

Mine arrived today also. 37.5 inches 2 upright midsize grips Paterson Regular. Took the PW, 7 and 4 to the range.

My initial thoughts

Looks - great eye appeal. Frame ball nicely. Sole and top line on 4 iron are larger than the 7 and PW. Not GI clunky but just a bit more heft. Lines on the 7 and PW are more refined.

Feel- definitely Forged. Not butter soft but feel good and actually excellent when flushed. Good feedback. Not colicky like some I have owned

Trajectory- high ball flight. Not ballooning but definitely high. Too early to tell if I can control the trajectory. 4 iron very easy to elevate Much easier than the Sterling 4 iron I previously owned

Distance - Range balls and mats. Seemed to be hitting my 7 about 165-170 which is comparable or a bit longer than my standard length irons Easily 200 + with 4 iron depending upon quality of the strike. PW was about 125 but high. Get the impression the ball with stop when it hits the green

Shafts- Really nice feel. Definitely like the feel better than SteelFiber 95s. Dispersion seems tight. I was getting repeatable results right at the 160 yd pin And they look cool too. Also, definitely can notice difference in trajectory with different clubs so I believe the sales pitch on the shafts and trajectory control

Bottom line. So,far so good and I am very excited to get them on the course Saturday. I am gaming Edel wedges too and really impressed with the quality products and excellent customer service

More to follow

I hear you. I'm not trying to get into an argument; I'll save that for the guys on the "instruction" forum. But, since Bryson is the single-length standard bearer, it's useful to understand what he's really doing.

At 280g his heads are compatible to something between an contemporary 8 and 9 iron. At 37 1/2" his length equals a standard, steel-shafted 6-iron (depending on arm length and your definition of "standard"). His lofts simply don't compare to conventional clubs. They're very different. At 115g, his shafts are a little light but not overly light...not as light as a TT Dynamic Gold SL, for example. As far as lie angle is concerned, compared to his 63 degree swing plane, his reported lie angle is 10 degrees upright. Frankly, that's impossible.

He does stand taller than someone swinging a 37 1/2" club. His stance is more like what players typically use for a driver. That's very different from what some instructors have suggested is best for a single plane swing (e.g., Jim Hardy, Todd Graves). But, that stance doesn't explain a 10 degree upright lie angle, particularly given the fact that his swing plane matches a contemporary 9-iron or PW. My guess is that someone who doesn't understand lie angles simply wrote down the wrong number, and a myth has been subsequently perpetuated.

Another terrible weather day with wind and rain. Did play 18 but not fair to compare distances yet. mine are also 2 degrees upright, 1 degree strong with the 110 stiffs. Trajectory was great. Good high ball flight that wasn't ballooning. Everything started right online and didn't move too much either way. Super consistent strikes.

Another terrible weather day with wind and rain. Did play 18 but not fair to compare distances yet. mine are also 2 degrees upright, 1 degree strong with the 110 stiffs. Trajectory was great. Good high ball flight that wasn't ballooning. Everything started right online and didn't move too much either way. Super consistent strikes.

Did you try to work it or hit partial shots? I tried a bit last night with mine but need more time to dial them in. Seems a bit harder than with my traditional irons but that's probably just me.

I understand what you're saying but I can promise you they are that up right

I have spoken to the people at edel themselves they assured me that this is lie angle when they were building my set which is at 70° they said yes it will be easy to hit that number because we had Bryson at 73

Depending on the position of the camera it'll make that angle look very different from where it actually is

This is not to mention the fact that you can look at the distance from the ball to his feet and it is extremely close compared to every other player on tour

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

I hear you. I'm not trying to get into an argument; I'll save that for the guys on the "instruction" forum. But, since Bryson is the single-length standard bearer, it's useful to understand what he's really doing.

At 280g his heads are compatible to something between an contemporary 8 and 9 iron. At 37 1/2" his length equals a standard, steel-shafted 6-iron (depending on arm length and your definition of "standard"). His lofts simply don't compare to conventional clubs. They're very different. At 115g, his shafts are a little light but not overly light...not as light as a TT Dynamic Gold SL, for example. As far as lie angle is concerned, compared to his 63 degree swing plane, his reported lie angle is 10 degrees upright. Frankly, that's impossible.

He does stand taller than someone swinging a 37 1/2" club. His stance is more like what players typically use for a driver. That's very different from what some instructors have suggested is best for a single plane swing (e.g., Jim Hardy, Todd Graves). But, that stance doesn't explain a 10 degree upright lie angle, particularly given the fact that his swing plane matches a contemporary 9-iron or PW. My guess is that someone who doesn't understand lie angles simply wrote down the wrong number, and a myth has been subsequently perpetuated.

His irons are 3 degrees more upright than mine and here is my trackman shot with a 6 iron for example. This is me flattening out and really trying to sling it, I still have a swing plane of 66 and thats about as flat as I can get it lol.

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

Update. Range session number 2. I was swinging much better today and the results were excellent. I was a club longer today and consistently getting 160 plus with eight iron which is a full club longer. I was making consistent center or close to center contact with all the clubs today and as such the feel was outstanding. The 4 iron was very easy to hit and elevate and consistently giving me 205 or so with range balls. I worked on less than full swings and today was able to hit a variety of shots and control trajectory. The shafts are truly something special IMO. I have played Recoil 110s, SF 110 and 95s in Stiff and Regular as well as just about any steel shaft you could imagine. These are without a doubt the bestnfeeeling shafts I have hit. They may play a bit stiff to flex and I was skeptical going with Regular as I played Stiff before and currently play PX Hazrdous 6.0 in my driver but R in this shaft was absolutely spot on for me. . So yes sports fans it's early and I'm a bit in the honeymoon phase but if my rounds tomorrow and Sunday yield similar results I am going to say Jackpot. For reference I am 6 ft 4, 7 HCPS who has no trouble getting off the tee but struggle with consistency in my irons. I also had a brief love affair with Sterling Single Length and they are fine clubs but the Edels for me definitely a step up in technology, fell, looks and time will tell the tale regarding performance. And yes before anyone reminds me that they are more expensive I know that, and am willing to pay for technology that helps improve my game.

The shafts are really good. They have no spine!! So no FLO !!! Working the ball either way is easier now that my ball position stays the same. Well one ball length up or back depending on the shot.

Instead of trying to hit knock downs or punch shots I started with the 6 iron and got my distances with 1/4,1/2,and 3/4 shots. All of the still get plenty of spin and make playing in the wind a breeze.!!

Mine showed up today. It is 44 degrees and super windy but I managed to hit a few. Playing the next two days to get them dialed in. They look ridiculous awesome!

Have to also say that customer service was beyond fantastic. Top notch from fitting to shipping and communication process. After hitting the GW today, I may revisit the SW later.

great pic, the looks kinda grow on ya... what is that spatula you have in your bag with callaway on it? haha, jk

I don´t believe Bryson uses a one plane swing by the definition of one plane swings made by Jim Hardy. With Jim Hardys definition of a one plane swing the arms and shoulders move on the same plane. In Brysons swing they don´t.

ZRep, Lobber, DJR - did any of you have a chance to get out and play or hit balls today? Keep us updated, I'm living vicariously through your irons!

Played 18 yesterday with the Edels. Drove the ball excellent but as usual of late my iron play was off so I can't come to any conclusions just yet. Here are a few observations. 4 iron is pretty easy to hit and elevate for a piercing mid ball flight. Definitely not high bombs but not worm burners or line drives either. Forgiveness on all the irons is very good as is feel. Dispersion with shafts is tight and feel of shafts is also excellent. All this being said I am not sure that single length is going to be my thing. Need to give them more time before I can conclusively say they are for me. Without a doubt however I will say that Edel makes top shelf quality products and these irons are no exception.

The shafts are really good. They have no spine!! So no FLO !!! Working the ball either way is easier now that my ball position stays the same. Well one ball length up or back depending on the shot.

Instead of trying to hit knock downs or punch shots I started with the 6 iron and got my distances with 1/4,1/2,and 3/4 shots. All of the still get plenty of spin and make playing in the wind a breeze.!!

i completely agree here. Played a tournament yesterday in rain and wind. Easily worked them either way to ride the wind. Feel is so good. And I immediately ordered the SW after a few full shots with the gap.

It took me a bit to get the 3/4 shots down but once I trusted and went after them a bit more they were dialed in. Best ball striking round a have had in a long time and the weather was awful.

I was skeptical if the 3-iron would knock out my hybrid but it out performed it also.

great pic, the looks kinda grow on ya... what is that spatula you have in your bag with callaway on it? haha, jk

Haha. Can't get rid of the 64 degree that plays like 74.

Those are nice. That 55 is really cool being handmade. I bet the feel is great.