2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Edel Single Length Irons

sfiggins

I may be the only one to think so, but these are sh*t ugly. The screw in the back looks cheap, the head is not that pretty either, and technology-wise it's not really a jump ahead. Wishon makes the long irons easier to hit with COR, Cobra with the weighting and the design of the heads (at least in the F7) and Edel wants to cut the mustard with shafts, as far as I understand. Since I don't like shafts feeling different through my iron set I guess these are not for me. Looking at the price tag, I am absolutely sure I'll never even look at these.

Do you know the tech?

Did you know they are custom fit for every aspect?

Did you know that Edels have always been expensive?

Gheez... lol.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@swingman

No, yes, yes (snake oil??). Gheez...lol.

@grantc

Why can't you get fitted for the Cobras or the Wishons. Even in Germany we have clubfitters who do that. Maybe Edel takes the fitting one step further, but you pay hefty for that. I never said that the Edels are bad clubs, and I have said in other threads that you absolutely HAVE to get fitted before you go into SL clubs. I am completely fine with these irons, I just don't see anything that would make these better than other offerings, and the optics are still sh*tty, at least for my taste.

@swingman

No, yes, yes (snake oil??). Gheez...lol.

@grantc

Why can't you get fitted for the Cobras or the Wishons. Even in Germany we have clubfitters who do that. Maybe Edel takes the fitting one step further, but you pay hefty for that. I never said that the Edels are bad clubs, and I have said in other threads that you absolutely HAVE to get fitted before you go into SL clubs. I am completely fine with these irons, I just don't see anything that would make these better than other offerings, and the optics are still sh*tty, at least for my taste.

Don't know about you, but I only care about the look at address. That's what makes or breaks a club - you either can play it or can't play it with that look.

Don't know about better, but Edel has a lot of experience with SL clubs, having made Bryson's sets, and he is meticulous about design and thinks outside the box - he even makes his own watches...

But we growl about price too much around here. It is what it is. It's an expensive game, with so much variety that you can find great clubs at reasonable prices ... or unreasonable prices.

• Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

I may be the only one to think so, but these are sh*t ugly. The screw in the back looks cheap, the head is not that pretty either, and technology-wise it's not really a jump ahead. Wishon makes the long irons easier to hit with COR, Cobra with the weighting and the design of the heads (at least in the F7) and Edel wants to cut the mustard with shafts, as far as I understand. Since I don't like shafts feeling different through my iron set I guess these are not for me. Looking at the price tag, I am absolutely sure I'll never even look at these.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Actually they all dealt with them from a stand point of higher COR on long irons.

They also all did it with the design of the heads with all the companies using thinner faces on the lower lofted irons.

The thing is only Edel is offering a shaft solution to solve the problem which is low loft going way too low and high loft going way too high.

Are they expensive as s***? Sure.

Do you actually get fit for them and have on paper the best solution for the problem? Yes.

Cobra and Wishon you can't even get fit for them and with a situation like this YOU MUST GET FIT so if paying retail to buy a set and then paying labor, shafts, etc while you tinker with the set to get it to actually work is your cup of tea then by all means put a mortgage on the irons because you will be paying for them monthly until you get them right by trial and error.

If I pay 2300 for a set and love them and keep them and you spend 2300 over time and trial and error or spend 700 and then sell them because they aren't fit for you who made the better investment?

Not sure what you mean by "Wishon you can't even get fit for them". Wishon only sells through certified fitters. I have tried the Sterlings (still looking at them), and we're looking at the idea of using higher launching shafts on the long irons, among other things. We're trying different things and I get to try it on the course (on real grass!!!). So I choose not to pay 2300 for a set of irons with a fitting on a mat and a simulator. I would prefer to pay half of that or less for a fully customized set I was able to demo on the course.

Short Pete, I'm with you. I don't like the lines on the Edels. Maybe in person they look better. Hope they are good because tech eventually trickles down into more affordable options.

Concur. It's the scalloping that bugs me. Wouldn't stop me from playing them if I were inclined, but I can see how some wouldn't like the looks.

Not as familiar with the Wishon's.

As far as the Cobras go my local shop ordered one set, standard lie, there is no option to interchange shafts, change lie angles, etc it just is what it is.

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

Cobra Tec 17, 21, 24 hybrids

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

I saw these in person, didn't hit them though. They have a nice classy look to them, much smaller than I expected them to be, pretty similar in size to the titleist CB.

I'm a huge believer in the single length. I have the Sterlings with S300's fit to me at 36.5". Hated the click sound from the hi-cor iron. So much so that I went back in to get fitted for the cobras. Now have F7's with modus3 120's. The F7's are absolutely nice. We bent the 5 and 6 1* stronger in loft and my gaps are ideal now. From 10-13 yards per club in gaps. Yes, the pw goes high and spins like crazy but I'm finally rolling it backwards with ease :-)

The long irons I have zero issues with these launching high enough, didn't have that problem with Sterlings either.

Honestly, with the shafts I was fit for they flew just fine. I don't think the money for the Paderson shafts are worth it. My playing partner has the cobra one forged with, installed himself, C-taper lites in the 4-6 and C-tapers in the 7-Pw. Works awesome for him, although he had to have the frequency measured on the 4-6 to do it right, without that if he have installed blind they would have played very weak to flex.

Rambling now...

Driver - Titleist TSi2 8* - HZRDUS Blue 6.0 60g

3W Cobra LTDx 15* - Aldila Ascent 6.0 60g

DI - NLU 18* - MMT 105g Stiff

5-GW PXG Gen4 XP - MMT 105g stiff

50* Cleveland Zipcore full face - TI S400

56* Tmag Big Foot - TI S400

Taylormade Tour Spider Silver  

The issue I have to lack of understanding of the product is thus: Edel are all about proper customer fitting but they allied themselves with basically one shaft company and one shaft for all. I see it comes in different weights but I like a 128+ gram shaft and you can`t really make a graphite with that much weight as they end up being too much material in the shaft, it would be a poll not a shaft. Off the top of my head the heaviest they do is 110 grams? That`s is light! So its "proper custom fit" with a HUGE compromise. On top of that, I am not a graphite fan, I want as much steel in my bag as possible, this is just a feel thing.

A question about the shaft. Does it have a different kick point for each iron, so they make a PW shaft and a 9 iron shaft and so on? Is that what they mean by multiple kick points or are they one shaft that is mean to react differently depending how its cut?

No problem with the price, Paderson shafts are high quality as are Edel metals. (though I seriously hate my putter).

Taylormade M1 8.75° - Accra FX 260 - M4
Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815hy 17° - Veylix Rome 988
Srixon ZU45 2 Iron - N S Pro Modus³ Tour 125S
Miura PP 9003 SN 4-PW - N S Pro Modus³ Tour 125S
Miura Y Grind 50° & 60° - N S Pro Modus³ 125 Wedge
Miura K Grind 55° - N S Pro Modus³ 125 Wedge
Edel E2 Custom - 35"

Actually they all dealt with them from a stand point of higher COR on long irons.

They also all did it with the design of the heads with all the companies using thinner faces on the lower lofted irons.

The thing is only Edel is offering a shaft solution to solve the problem which is low loft going way too low and high loft going way too high.

Do you actually get fit for them and have on paper the best solution for the problem? Yes.

Cobra and Wishon you can't even get fit for them and with a situation like this YOU MUST GET FIT so if paying retail to buy a set and then paying labor, shafts, etc while you tinker with the set to get it to actually work is your cup of tea then by all means put a mortgage on the irons because you will be paying for them monthly until you get them right by trial and error.

If I pay 2300 for a set and love them and keep them and you spend 2300 over time and trial and error or spend 700 and then sell them because they aren't fit for you who made the better investment?

Not sure what you mean by "Wishon you can't even get fit for them". Wishon only sells through certified fitters. I have tried the Sterlings (still looking at them), and we're looking at the idea of using higher launching shafts on the long irons, among other things. We're trying different things and I get to try it on the course (on real grass!!!). So I choose not to pay 2300 for a set of irons with a fitting on a mat and a simulator. I would prefer to pay half of that or less for a fully customized set I was able to demo on the course.

so you would rather hit them on the range and not on a simulator to get numbers? spin, launch,hight and decent angle are not over rated. Demo?, Do you know what shaft, head and weight and length you need, kinda like a needle in a hay stack!!!

Come'on MAN,

The issue I have to lack of understanding of the product is thus: Edel are all about proper customer fitting but they allied themselves with basically one shaft company and one shaft for all. I see it comes in different weights but I like a 128+ gram shaft and you can`t really make a graphite with that much weight as they end up being too much material in the shaft, it would be a poll not a shaft. Off the top of my head the heaviest they do is 110 grams? That`s is light! So its "proper custom fit" with a HUGE compromise. On top of that, I am not a graphite fan, I want as much steel in my bag as possible, this is just a feel thing.

A question about the shaft. Does it have a different kick point for each iron, so they make a PW shaft and a 9 iron shaft and so on? Is that what they mean by multiple kick points or are they one shaft that is mean to react differently depending how its cut?

No problem with the price, Paderson shafts are high quality as are Edel metals. (though I seriously hate my putter).

Not really a huge compromise -- PGA Touring Pros play 95g weight graphite in irons. If they can do it, you can do it at 110g if the club is set up correctly for you.

• Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

so you would rather hit them on the range and not on a simulator to get numbers? spin, launch,hight and decent angle are not over rated. Demo?, Do you know what shaft, head and weight and length you need, kinda like a needle in a hay stack!!!

We do both. I hit inside and get numbers, but then get to take them out of the course and see turf interaction and how they perform in real life.

Not really a huge compromise -- PGA Touring Pros play 95g weight graphite in irons. If they can do it, you can do it at 110g if the club is set up correctly for you.

Kinda, sorta ye, but the weight is there for when I get quick, or to help me not get quick, not because I am a strong player. That aside, we have got used to choice, particularly when going the whole hog with fitting. You would have to put Edel in that whole hog catagory so it's seems suspicious that they now only advocate one option. Sure, be proud of the shaft you and Paderson have produced and guide people to give it a go, but offer some options?!

Any idea if each shaft is made for each iron number? So a 7 iron shaft, 8 iron shaft and so on?

Taylormade M1 8.75° - Accra FX 260 - M4
Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815hy 17° - Veylix Rome 988
Srixon ZU45 2 Iron - N S Pro Modus³ Tour 125S
Miura PP 9003 SN 4-PW - N S Pro Modus³ Tour 125S
Miura Y Grind 50° & 60° - N S Pro Modus³ 125 Wedge
Miura K Grind 55° - N S Pro Modus³ 125 Wedge
Edel E2 Custom - 35"

I have the Sterlings with S300's fit to me at 36.5". Hated the click sound from the hi-cor iron. So much so that I went back in to get fitted for the cobras.

Sounds like someone is a club ho... all you have to do is glue a small piece of foam in the back of the 7,6,5,4 irons to reduce the slight ring they produce when hit.

Kinda, sorta ye, but the weight is there for when I get quick, or to help me not get quick, not because I am a strong player. That aside, we have got used to choice, particularly when going the whole hog with fitting. You would have to put Edel in that whole hog catagory so it's seems suspicious that they now only advocate one option. Sure, be proud of the shaft you and Paderson have produced and guide people to give it a go, but offer some options?!

Any idea if each shaft is made for each iron number? So a 7 iron shaft, 8 iron shaft and so on?

It isn't made for each iron number, I've spoken to the guys at Edel quite a bit about this.

Basically its all mocked off of a 7 iron shaft and they a few different weight options but only 3 flight options which are high low and mid. They will do a partial set with higher launching shafts and a partial set with the lower launching shafts or use the middle launching shafts.

My question is do they all feel similar? I'll find out in a few weeks they are mailing a fitting cart out to the academy that I practice at.

I experimented there with quite a few different shafts today one of which was the Tour 90 shafts which is a lot lighter than my KBS tours and I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to move to different weights and not lose my swing. The different weights were not as apparent as you'd think.

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

As far as the Cobras go my local shop ordered one set, standard lie, there is no option to interchange shafts, change lie angles, etc it just is what it is.

What are you talking about? It sounds like the problem is your local shop--not Cobra.

Go to the Cobra website and look at the sets. Pull up the irons on the site and under "Set Configuration" tab, click "Custom Set". They list 7 different flex options, under the "Shaft" tab there are over 50 different choices listed (shaft and flex combinations), "Shaft Length" can be altered from 1 inch long to 1 inch short, there are over 35 choices on grips, plus the option to have up to 4 wraps on which ever grip you order, "Lie Angle" can be customized 2 up to 2 down, and "Loft Angle" can be ordered 1 degree strong and 1 degree weak.

What are you talking about? It sounds like the problem is your local shop--not Cobra.

Go to the Cobra website and look at the sets. Pull up the irons on the site and under "Set Configuration" tab, click "Custom Set". They list 7 different flex options, under the "Shaft" tab there are over 50 different choices listed (shaft and flex combinations), "Shaft Length" can be altered from 1 inch long to 1 inch short, there are over 35 choices on grips, plus the option to have up to 4 wraps on which ever grip you order, "Lie Angle" can be customized 2 up to 2 down, and "Loft Angle" can be ordered 1 degree strong and 1 degree weak.

That same guy said both Wishons and Cobras were not able to be customized - in two different posts. If I'm not sure about something I ask rather than stating something as fact when I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I have the Sterlings with S300's fit to me at 36.5". Hated the click sound from the hi-cor iron. So much so that I went back in to get fitted for the cobras.

Sounds like someone is a club ho... all you have to do is glue a small piece of foam in the back of the 7,6,5,4 irons to reduce the slight ring they produce when hit.

If he's a "club ho", then I am too. I so strongly disliked the sound of the Sterling hi-cor long irons that I've been replacing them one at a time with Cobras.

I would love to try the Edels, but they appear to be unavailable in my area (except blind mail order).

Doesn't work! I saw too on YouTube

If he's a "club ho", then I am too. I so strongly disliked the sound of the Sterling hi-cor long irons that I've been replacing them one at a time with Cobras.

I would love to try the Edels, but they appear to be unavailable in my area (except blind mail order).

That doesn't work! I saw the YouTube video me tried it! No change at all

Come'on MAN,

Beauty lies in the eye of the beerholder :-)

The AMP Cells don't look all that great in the cavity, but they do look good at address, and they perform very well. And I've never said these Edel irons suck, to my eye they just look like some Powerbilt Citation Fuzzy Zoeller Autographs you could get at Walmart for 149$ in the 80s.

That same guy said both Wishons and Cobras were not able to be customized - in two different posts. If I'm not sure about something I ask rather than stating something as fact when I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Allow me to explain:

The cobra heads are stuck at 270 gram head weights and Wishon's heads aren't variable either. You might fit into 265 gram head weights you might fit into 275. Who knows you cant alter them without lead taping them with the Cobras. Furthermore my local place (and I'm guessing most) ordered one set with stock length loft and lie and that is there demo set. They do not have a Mizuno cart for example where you can try different lie angles, head weights, and shafts. Its buy the stock set or roll the dice and order a set that may or may not be right for you.

This is not to mention after calling Cobra and asking them how they install them they simply build them like any other iron sets. What does that mean? A 4 iron shaft gets put in the 4 iron head then they but cut it all the way down to 7 iron length. Don't believe me, call them. This leads to much different flex values throughout the set.

The purpose is to have identical clubs with differing lofts which means 7 iron shafts in all the clubs. Cobra simply isn't fully on board with that yet.

If you have tried single length irons what you will immediately notice is dispersion gets way better but flight gets a little weird lower lofts go a lot lower and higher lofts go a lot higher. This is in the inherent issue with single length irons but most people who play them will accept it for the much greater dispersion. Only shafts can solve this problem which is what Edel is trying to accomplish.

Edel's cart allows you to hit 4-PW with any lie angle you want with any head weight you want and with 3 different weighted shafts each with 3 different launch characteristics in order to get the flight where it needs to be throughout the set. One shaft bend profile in the 3-7 iron to get the launch up higher with another shaft bend profile in the 8-SW to bring the launch and spin down a little. Or any combination that works for you.

If Wishon can also do that I'll eat my words. Until then understand that is the only way to get properly fitted for single length clubs.

I tested a bunch of 7 irons the other day with my local Edel fitter off of the standard Edel cart and between C Taper lights, KBS Tour V, KBS Tour 90, and Nippon 95's my club head speed varied by about 4 MPH, launch varied a degree, spin varied 600, and carry varied about 12 yards. That's really a lot of difference when you think about it.

I have someone right now in private message offering me a new set of cobra forged with the wedges at a great price but by the time I pull shafts and actually tinker with it and fit it properly I will likely be in it for the same price of the Edels.

300+ for testing shafts in different clubs

350+ for buying the correct shafts

10 bucks a club for grips

20 plus per club for build and bending

Time involved to build let it cure then hit rinse repeat

Might as well just get it right the first time

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

I am getting fit for the Edels on Wednesday. I had the cobra forged and they provided very consistent contact but the feel was all over the place for me and I couldn't get consistent gappings. Probably the wrong shaft but the Edel fitting system has me intrigued. The concept intrigues me because who has time to practice anymore. Will post after my fitting.