2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Edel Single Length Irons

sfiggins

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please let us know about your fitting experience when you have time. BTW, where are you having it done?

I am having it done in Chicago. Will post tomorrow evening.

:read:

Sorry for the delay. Spring break for the kiddos. I will break this down into two posts. First I will start with the fitting process and the Edel irons. Then I will compare to the cobra forged since I got to play about 5 rounds with those earlier in the year.

A little background on me for context. I am a 0-2 handicap and have gone through multiple fittings with Ping, Club Champion etc. I also used to work on the cleveland tech van. I started talking to Edel after the 2016 Masters so I have built this fitting up in my head a bunch haha. Ok on with the review....

The fitting started with some static measurments using Wright Balance. My fitter used this to get a starting length as well as determine if I am even a candidate for single-length. I wasn't familiar with Wright Balance at all so enjoyed learning about the science behind it. Then after getting loose with my own clubs and dialing in the flightscope it was time to get started. We started with the 6 iron and were quickly switching shafts and weight plugs in the head. Throughout the process he was looking at the flightscope numbers, my trajectory and kept asking how it felt. I will say that weighting is an important part of the process and it changed not only the feel but performance. There was never an attempt to get it to a certain swingweight however.

We switched shafts along with headweights frequently (still on the 6-iron here). The system itself is really slick. No need for a torque wrench to switch heads and shafts but it is needed for the weights. Once we dialed in the 6-iron between length, shaft weight, lie and head weight we moved to the 8 iron and repeated the process. The shaft fitting isn't just for flex and weight but profile as well. At what point do you need a long-iron profile, short-iron profile and mid-iron profile. That will change per player as it was explained to me. I am very steep so this impacted the decision of where to place those profiles.

On to the 4-iron. This was where I started to get even more impressed. Again same fitting process as before except we looked at trajectory and decent numbers a lot more. The profile and shaft flex I needed were the same. However, we determined that I would be best suited at 37.5 inches in length. The rest of my set would be 37.25. I thought it was crazy to expect any difference but the numbers were clear. We re-tested and sure enought the extra .25 inch made a difference. With that extra .25 we switched out the weight in the head less 2 grams. There was no noticeable difference in feel after doing that. This would carry on to my 3-iron as well.

Last, it was time to look at loft. We looked at numbers, again focusing on spin and decent angles. I didn't walk away with a sheet of numbers, but I also didn't ask for one either. The 4-iron was spinning at around 4600 rpm though with great launch characterists. We determined that I should go 1 degree stong throughout the set and that the current gappings would work. Three degrees between 3,4,5 four degrees between 5,6,7,8 and five at the bottom.

The SW was the last we tested. And all I can say is that is a love it or hate it thing. And I hate it with a passion. He expected that with my swingn characteristics as well. A couple swings and there was no need to fit the SW for me.

I forgot to mention that between the 4 and the SW we went back to the 6 to verify our results and test one more shaft. The validation quickly revealed we had made the right choice initially.

I know I probobaly missed some stuff you all wanted to know about so please post any questions and I will get back to you. Below is a brief pro/cons section. All in all I am happy and ordered 3-GW. 1 degree upright, 1 degree strong, 110 gram stiff shafts (typically play X but wow the 110 X was a lot of golf club)

Pros

1. Simple system for fitting

2. Clubs feel great and feel like Edels (not mizuno butter but not rock hard forged either)

3. Fitter knowledge

4. Repeatable results for me at least

5. Can fit to multiple lengths ( I have two lengths 3-4 and 5-GW)

6. Fitting is free - I saw some earlier posts that say Edel was charging for this. That was not the case at all

Cons

1. No full set to try (only 4,6,8,SW)

2. Technology - Flightscope and Wrightbalance were methods used. Those used to Club Champion or such may want to walk away with more data. Again I did not ask for any takeaways so it might be available.

3. Feel - Those used to Mizuno may be disapointed in the feel

4. Cost - yes these are expensive

5. Shaft - steel not available and I don't think it should be based on my experience with these and cobras

Thanks for the write up, looking forward to your review/comparison the you get them...

im itching already for sure. I'm currently gaming Bridgestone j15 df irons so will compare to gamers and cobra forged single length next week.

For now the Edels compared to cobra from a feel standpoint is no contest. Edels feel more solid and consistent throughout the set. I will say that I probably didn't have the correct shaft in the cobras but I don't think the technology is apples to apples. Fitting numbers were more ideal with the Edels as well. I think Edel has thought it through a lot more and their fitting process/service is top notch. I really wanted the cobras to work from a cost standpoint obviously but my game suffered.

Great write-up! Thanks for taking the time. I'm not familiar with the Wright Balance. Can you say a little more about what that product does? What measurement characteristic would make someone a candidate for single length.

Sure thing.

Wrightbalance.com I believe is the site and is normally a 150-300 dollar fitting. It determines whether you are a lower-core (legs), middle-core or upper-core player. Which really means where are you strongest. This translates to how wide your stance should be and how much spine tilt you should have. Really basic principles that make a ton of sense in single-length.

He marked stance widths on a ruler, then we started with my standard stance. He asked me to move my feet to different numbers and he watched. It was amazing to see how much my hip alignment changed just when I moved my feet out and in. Then we simulated going to the top of my swing at different spine tilts. He then tried to push my hands down and asked me to resist. At certain tilts I had no ability to resist and at my correct angle (one he measured with a ruler and levels) I was able to keep him from pushing my hands down. And then we had it. My correct spine tilt and correct stance width that gave me the most power. That told him how long the shafts should be also. Or at least a starting point.

I did take away the ruler markings to see where I should be for single-length as a reference and even for my driver. He also sent me articles about what being a lower-core player is etc. I haven't had time to dive into those yet though.

As far as what makes someone right for single-length, it had to do with angles under 150. Not something I can really explain how to measure that but probably some reserach on the website or an online fitting tool is available for a fee I think. It looks like it replaces wrist to floor measurements of the past.

This is fascinating. In one of the other threads about single length irons, someone asked who these clubs are intended for. Someone else responded that they were intended for players without very good swings, which I though was the wrong answer. My own experience from having used them is that SL irons are best suited to a certain kind of swing. I think you're getting at the same thing in your description.

So, you were diagnosed as a "lower core" swinger?

Great review. How about distance?

I would say out of the gate they are equal to a half club longer, but the lofts are a little strong as well. The peak height, spin and decent angles were are all better though compared to mine. With the cobra's I had trouble. The short irons went too far and the long irons while close, didn't go long enough. Plus the numbers weren't ideal by any means.

The long irons in the Edels were noticeable better numbers than my standand length gamers. Higher launch and spin.

ZRep, what are your current gamers, the standard length ones?

Bridgestone J15 DF 4-PW with x-100s. They are 2 up and standard lofts for Bridgestone until you get to the 4 and 5. I tweaked those. I consider these pretty long irons so happy to see the distances in line with Edels and the long irons going a bit higher/farther. I will post a better distance comparison once I get them out on the course. One thing I forgot to mention about the Edels is that they are shaped a bit different (thicker top lines) which make the irons better looking at the longer short iron length in my opinion. I will post some pics as well.

Thanks for the write up, looking forward to your review/comparison the you get them...

im itching already for sure. I'm currently gaming Bridgestone j15 df irons so will compare to gamers and cobra forged single length next week.

For now the Edels compared to cobra from a feel standpoint is no contest. Edels feel more solid and consistent throughout the set. I will say that I probably didn't have the correct shaft in the cobras but I don't think the technology is apples to apples. Fitting numbers were more ideal with the Edels as well. I think Edel has thought it through a lot more and their fitting process/service is top notch. I really wanted the cobras to work from a cost standpoint obviously but my game suffered.

So effectively what you are saying is I was exactly right with what I was ridiculed for earlier in this thread :pimp:

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

Cobra Tec 17, 21, 24 hybrids

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

So effectively what you are saying is I was exactly right with what I was ridiculed for earlier in this thread :pimp:

Haha. It appears so

Great write-up! Thanks for taking the time. I'm not familiar with the Wright Balance. Can you say a little more about what that product does? What measurement characteristic would make someone a candidate for single length.

This is fascinating. In one of the other threads about single length irons, someone asked who these clubs are intended for. Someone else responded that they were intended for players without very good swings, which I though was the wrong answer. My own experience from having used them is that SL irons are best suited to a certain kind of swing. I think you're getting at the same thing in your description.

So, you were diagnosed as a "lower core" swinger?

I agree. It has more to do with you swing. Now if you consistently miss all over the face this is probably for you as well but only if you still fit into the swing criteria.

I was diagnosed as a middle core swinger based on my narrow stance and posture. I also walked away with some articles about my type of swing.

I just looked at some video of Bryson Dechambeau, and he appears to be an upper-core player. His torso angle is greater than his thigh angle, he swings on a fairly upright plane, his shoulders are tilted at the top, and he doesn't clear his hips tremendously at impact. I don't know what the "angle being under 150" means, but I'm guessing he qualifies.

My own opinion, for whatever it's worth, is that SL irons best fit players who use single plane swings. Single plane swings are extremely setup dependent. Once you've got the proper posture, they work great. But changing posture as you would to accommodate different length clubs introduces problems. SL irons are quite helpful in that regard.

I found out some addition info from my fitter. By the way, Matt Jones is who fit me so might be a better source as I'm still new to all the angle talk and single lengt benefits . [email protected]

single length can be for everyone and certain players, based on their carrying angle, will really benefit from one length as that angle dictates knee flex and corresponding Spine tilt (will be a function of your dominant core

There's a training aid called the tour 144 which is named for the angle of the arms to the club at setup. I wonder if that could be the 150 zrep's fitter meant. Clearly DeChambeau is well over 150degrees at setup.

yeah I think he is unique in all regard haha. I think that is a different angle than we are talking about but not sure.