2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Kansas City - Recommendations Please

sabram

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't go wrong with any of those. I would put Shoal Creek on that list though.

1.) Shoal Creek - Best public track in KC IMO

2.) Falcon Ridge - Great layout. Well maintained.

3.) Sycamore Ridge - Challenging. Tale of two 9's. Front 9 plays very tight. Back 9 opens up considerably. Usually in pretty good shape.

4.) Ironhorse - Ranking here mainly due to being a bit overpriced in July. Tough track. Plays pretty tight. Depending on your length off the tee and the tees you play, driver might stay in the bag more than you would like. Great practice area.

5.) Prairie Highlands - Hit or miss condition wise. I have played it in great shape, while other times not great at all. True links course.

Those are good choices.

However if you want to try something a bit more old school play Hillcrest (Donald Ross course) or Swope (Tillinghast course) They are on the Missouri side both close to each other. The condition is a bit hit or miss but they are fun to play.

The coursed listed by Buckets are all solid choices and his comments are pretty spot on. Also if you are by the airport Tiffany Greens is good.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

When are you visiting? I'm a member at Lionsgate and would have happy to have you out. Unfortunately, our guest fee would probably be double those public courses.

Where are you staying? That might affect course choice, although you can get pretty much everywhere in the city within 45 minutes.

Buckets hit it pretty well above. I haven't played Shoal, but I've heard good things. I don't think as highly of Falcon Ridge. Sycamore is fun and usually in great shape, front nine is tight woodlands and back nine is open links-styling but not firm/fast. I would also recommend Swope, it is an old parkland Tillinghast design and the only Kansas City course to host a PGA event way back in the day. And on the northside is Paradise Point with two good 18s and quite a few holes on Smithville Lake.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

3.) Sycamore Ridge - Challenging. Tale of two 9's. Front 9 plays very tight. Back 9 opens up considerably. Usually in pretty good shape.

4.) Ironhorse - Ranking here mainly due to being a bit overpriced in July. Tough track. Plays pretty tight. Depending on your length off the tee and the tees you play, driver might stay in the bag more than you would like. Great practice area.

5.) Prairie Highlands - Hit or miss condition wise. I have played it in great shape, while other times not great at all. True links course.

Thanks for the comments. I'll look into Shoal Creek. I'm not a fan of "overpriced, tough or tight" (especially tight) so will move Ironhorse down the list. I am skeptical of any course in KS being a "true links", but if Prairie Highlands is linksy in the way that Wildhorse in Gothenberg Nebraska is, then I'm in.

Those are good choices.

However if you want to try something a bit more old school play Hillcrest (Donald Ross course) or Swope (Tillinghast course) They are on the Missouri side both close to each other. The condition is a bit hit or miss but they are fun to play.

The coursed listed by Buckets are all solid choices and his comments are pretty spot on. Also if you are by the airport Tiffany Greens is good.

Thanks. I would normally put courses by Ross and Tilly at the top of the list, but on this trip I am focused on playing in KS. Don't laugh, but I'm close to finishing up playing in all 50 states. I need to play in KS, OK and AR, so after playing in KC KS I'm driving down to OK and AR. That will take me to 44 states. I'm returning to KC for a day at the end of the trip.

Depends on a couple of factors. Where are you staying and what kind of golf do you want to play.

Hard to go wrong with the suggestions above. I'm certainly partial to Hillcrest and Swope, especially if you prefer classic course architecture.

I'm not staying. I land at KC around 1 pm, plan to play a round in the area and after the round drive down to the OK border, so I guess my only requirements are that it be in KS, south of the airport and close enough that I can get in my round before dark. I normally like courses that are wide off the tee with interesting greens that make you think off the tee and provide options on approaches and around the greens. Not a fan of lots of water.. Quirky is okay. I love the classics and I love links.

When are you visiting? I'm a member at Lionsgate and would have happy to have you out. Unfortunately, our guest fee would probably be double those public courses.

Where are you staying? That might affect course choice, although you can get pretty much everywhere in the city within 45 minutes.

Buckets hit it pretty well above. I don't think as highly of Falcon Ridge. Sycamore is fun and usually in great shape, front nine is tight woodlands and back nine is open links-styling but not firm/fast. I would also recommend Swope, it is an old parkland Tillinghast design and the only Kansas City course to host a PGA event way back in the day. And on the northside is Paradise Point with two good 18s and quite a few holes on Smithville Lake.

Thanks very much for the kind offer and course comments. I'll send you a PM. I'll be there late July. As mentioned above, I'm heading south after the round. I may have to give Swope a try on the way back.

Thanks for the comments. I'll look into Shoal Creek. I'm not a fan of "overpriced, tough or tight" (especially tight) so will move Ironhorse down the list. I am skeptical of any course in KS being a "true links", but if Prairie Highlands is linksy in the way that Wildhorse in Gothenberg Nebraska is, then I'm in.

Prairie Highlands isn't even close to Wildhorse, which is one of my favorite courses.

Taylormade TP5

depends on the ability of your group.

for a group of widely varying abilities....i like Prairie Highlands and Falcon Ridge.

Sycamore i kinda like and kinda don't. I haven't played there since I knocked 6 or so shots off my index, but there are a couple goofy holes I'm not a big fan of. used to be #10 (now #1?) that's so downhill you can't even see your landing area and they have a giant mirror so you can tell when its safe to hit - was a bad hole to start with - and an AWFUL opening hole. I think old maybe #11, that 90deg snap left par 5 is also a joke. a par 5 where you're laying up with an iron? terrible. there are some good holes too....but some of that routing i'm just not a fan of...but again, i haven't been there in years.

ironhorse i quite like, but it is tight and tough.

tiffany greens i've only played once, but i liked it.

if you're looking for cheap old school golf - i've heard wonderful things about hillcrest and swope. i really really have to get out there next time i'm in town.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 Speeder Evolution 757x
Titleist 917F3 13.5 Fuji Speeder Pro TS 84X
Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

Buckets hit it pretty well above. I don't think as highly of Falcon Ridge. Sycamore is fun and usually in great shape, front nine is tight woodlands and back nine is open links-styling but not firm/fast. I would also recommend Swope, it is an old parkland Tillinghast design and the only Kansas City course to host a PGA event way back in the day. And on the northside is Paradise Point with two good 18s and quite a few holes on Smithville Lake.

Thanks very much for the kind offer and course comments. I'll send you a PM. I'll be there late July. As mentioned above, I'm heading south after the round. I may have to give Swope a try on the way back.

We host the Web.com's Digital Ally Open July 24-30. Hopefully that doesn't conflict with your timing if you want to join me.

Taylormade TP5

" I would also recommend Swope, it is an old parkland Tillinghast design and the only Kansas City course to host a PGA event way back in the day."

Hillcrest also hosted PGA event.

Actually, according to wikipedia, the KC Open was played at

Hillcrest

Blue Hills

Milburn

Swope

Sorry, I know this is off topic.

Good catch, I missed the "public course" caveat on Swope's website:

Designed in 1934 by legendary architect A.W. Tillinghast, Swope Memorial Golf Course was once the home of the PGA Tour's Kansas City Open (1949), making it the only public course in the area to have hosted a PGA Tour event.

Taylormade TP5

kS side only, you might try Canyon Farms. Sycamore is a good track though i will agree with the hokey holes comment from above.

Prairie highlands is pretty blah for me. Ironhorse is decent though usually overpriced at that time of year.

Missouri side has a ton more options and i'll second Swope and Hillcrest, two of my favorites.

Other MO options

Fred Arbanas

stone Canyon

Tiffany Greens

Winterstone

Don't play public much but i love iron horse for the mental aspects of it. Deer creek is nice also.

You can take the 435 down to Dubbs Dread from the airport and continue south afterwards. I enjoyed Dubbs Dread, lots of tress, but good size fairways and plenty of diversity.

If you like wide open fairways, Overland Park Lady Sykes is a fun track but way crowded! Good luck finishing a round in 5 hours there. 5 somes from crack of dawn to sun down!

Driver - Titleist TSi2 8* - HZRDUS Blue 6.0 60g

3W Cobra LTDx 15* - Aldila Ascent 6.0 60g

DI - NLU 18* - MMT 105g Stiff

5-GW PXG Gen4 XP - MMT 105g stiff

50* Cleveland Zipcore full face - TI S400

56* Tmag Big Foot - TI S400

Taylormade Tour Spider Silver  

I haven't played in KC much but I thought Stine Canyon was legit, but you better bring your big boy pants.

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

Thanks to all who posted. I'm thinking Sycamore on my arrival day and Swope on my departure day.

Those are two good tracks and quite the variety. I think you'll like them both in their own ways.

Sycamore ridge is the tale of two nines. The front is very tight and cut through a forest with tons of elevation change. Other than the 1st, which is 440 yards semi-blind drive and tight on both sides, I think it is a decent nine. Then the back opens up a lot and bombs away! (It is not walkable, just an FYI).

I'm sorry the calendar didn't work out for you to try Lionsgate. But let us know what you think of SR & Swope.

Taylormade TP5

• 4 months later...

Thanks to all who responded to my question. I ended up playing Sycamore Ridge and Swope Memorial. I enjoyed them both a lot, but IMO, Swope is really a special course. It is probably one of the top 20 municipal courses I've played. It is on an amazing piece of land that is used really well. A great variety of uphill and downhill shots. It was in pretty good condition, especially taking into account we played there the day after the flood that closed some of downtown KC at the end of July. As dlygrisse posted above in is simply a lot of fun to play. Qmany hit the nail on the head about Sycamore being a "tale of two nines". The front and back are very different as the back (which we played first :lol: ) is very open in a prairie style while the back is tree lined with forced carries over marshy natural areas on many holes. The course was designed by Baxter Spann who designed Black mesa near Santa Fe. I don't know much about him, but based on those two courses he is very good. A couple of posters didn't like the opening hole (which we played as our tenth hole), but I didn't think it was a bad hole, It does get tight as you get closer to the natural area that crosses the fairway that must be carried on your approach shot, but that is a valid challenge for a long hitter. To me the funkiest hole is #7, a par 5 with a blind tee shot over the crest of a hill that then slopes steeply downhill into a valley and concludes with an uphill approach to an elevated green. I'd like to play that hole again.

Here are links to photo tours:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157683845894732/with/36018431220/ Swope Pix

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157684520553393/with/35506519424/ Sycamore Ridge Pix

36246810642_c9168ea6bb_c.jpg

Swope Memorial #5 dogleg left par 5 from tee 573

36246807392_a78f7ff4e2_c.jpg

Swope memorial #9 g cross bunkers at fairway crest 583

36278494791_ed7a270680_c.jpg

Swope memorial #10 g591

36342393575_02c0bef33a_c.jpg

Sycamore Ridge #1 from tee 293

35506530114_3a9b303975_c.jpg

Sycamore Ridge #1 approach over natural area 294

35506527584_9fe6442294_c.jpg

Sycamore Ridge #2 third shot 298

35945556920_f2d32ffb9c_c.jpg

Sycamore Ridge #5 from tee 303

36342380025_a8107385f3_c.jpg

Sycamore Ridge #15 from tee par 5 284

• 2 months later...

depends on the ability of your group.

for a group of widely varying abilities....i like Prairie Highlands and Falcon Ridge.

Sycamore i kinda like and kinda don't. I haven't played there since I knocked 6 or so shots off my index, but there are a couple goofy holes I'm not a big fan of. used to be #10 (now #1?) that's so downhill you can't even see your landing area and they have a giant mirror so you can tell when its safe to hit - was a bad hole to start with - and an AWFUL opening hole. I think old maybe #11, that 90deg snap left par 5 is also a joke. a par 5 where you're laying up with an iron? terrible. there are some good holes too....but some of that routing i'm just not a fan of...but again, i haven't been there in years.

ironhorse i quite like, but it is tight and tough.

tiffany greens i've only played once, but i liked it.

if you're looking for cheap old school golf - i've heard wonderful things about hillcrest and swope. i really really have to get out there next time i'm in town.

You're welcome to join me at Hillcrest anytime if you're looking for someone to play with when you're here. My handicap is high, but being a member at Hillcrest has helped me lower it and I can give you the insider edge on the holes as best as I am able.

IMHO the best public options in KC:

Shoal Creek; probably the best maintained public course in KC

Sycamore Ridge; incredible front nine, great design, bent fairways, white sand bunkers....could use some TLC on turf, etc.

Stone Canyon; the rare public Greg Norman, very aggressive design, bent fairways, has really improved in turf conditions

WinterStone; far from everything but really nice; no homes on course which is cool.

Tiffany Greens; generally good in every respect

Creekmoor; probably the best overall in the public category

Creekmoor is a great option if you live on the SE corner of the KC Metro. I played there twice for KC Cup and was really impressed. They have a really nice community there too, it seems.

Residents will have full unlimited play with no initiation fee. Monthly dues are $155.00 per resident family effective 4/1/17.

Taylormade TP5

Sycamore Ridge; incredible front nine, great design, bent fairways, white sand bunkers....could use some TLC on turf, etc.

Stone Canyon; the rare public Greg Norman, very aggressive design, bent fairways, has really improved in turf conditions

I will never understand why architects choose to use bent grass in this region. It makes for high maintenance and terrible playing conditions during the hot, humid summer months when zoysia thrives.

Taylormade TP5

Creekmoor is a great option if you live on the SE corner of the KC Metro. I played there twice for KC Cup and was really impressed. They have a really nice community there too, it seems.

Residents will have full unlimited play with no initiation fee. Monthly dues are $155.00 per resident family effective 4/1/17.

Shhhh... you're spilling our little secret over here Q! Glad you enjoyed the place!