DC Metro Golf Scene

nova-a-aron

Played Worthington Manor last week, course was in fair condition. Surely didn't live up to the hype. Played Needwood (MoCo Muni) yesterday and it was in great shape. The greens were in 10x better shape then Worthington. I'll be playing Reston National today and have pretty high hope for it...We'll see.

Can I ask why you have/had high hopes for Reston National? Did you play it before they were bought out? Is its reputation changing to the point where people actually enjoy playing there?

I'm not trying to bash the course at all. I play there probably 10-15 times per summer.

@j_canales87

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played Worthington Manor last week, course was in fair condition. Surely didn't live up to the hype. Played Needwood (MoCo Muni) yesterday and it was in great shape. The greens were in 10x better shape then Worthington. I'll be playing Reston National today and have pretty high hope for it...We'll see.

Did you have fun with the neighbors walking their dogs on the course, and the kids playing soccer on the tee boxes?

Hi,

When did you play Worthington Manor when this happened? I have never seen either of those you mentioned.

Did you have fun with the neighbors walking their dogs on the course, and the kids playing soccer on the tee boxes?

Hi,

When did you play Worthington Manor when this happened? I have never seen either of those you mentioned.

The dogs and soccer players are in reference to Reston National.

@j_canales87

Can I ask why you have/had high hopes for Reston National? Did you play it before they were bought out? Is its reputation changing to the point where people actually enjoy playing there?

I'm not trying to bash the course at all. I play there probably 10-15 times per summer.

Just high hopes by hearing from others. That place is a complete show, we tee'd 45 late and played a 4 1/2 half round. The pro is a complete d1ck. We wanted a voucher for 9 holes since it took so long to play 9, and he pretty much said to kiss his a**. I will never play there again.

And yes, I have never seen so many joggers and dogs on a golf course, what a joke.

Hi,

The dogs and soccer players are in reference to Reston National.

Ahhh, that makes since although the post makes it sound like he was talking about Worthington Manor, since the originalposter hadn't played RN yet. As far as I'm concerned you can have Reston National I've played it 3 times over the last 15 years with about 5 years or so between each round, it never improved in all that time.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone play Frederick county golf courses lately (whiskey creek, musket ridge, PB Dye, etc....)?? I am planning on going golfing tomorrow (I am on the incredibly short 4 day spring break) it is supposed to be 63 degrees and sunny. I can play Worthington Manor for free since I work there, but even as nice as it is I am tired of it and want to see a different course (play there 2+ times/week). I know musket has pretty good conditions usually and a very nice head pro, so if no one replies I will probably play there.

If anyone feels like playing at 8:30am with a 88-95 player, shoot me a PM.

There are two other coarses within 45 of DC. Forest Greens which is close to 95, County owned coarse but well maintained great layout. Not expensive either. Then you have Cannon Ridge Golf coarse which I am a member of. It is wide open off the tee boxes and tight around the greens. It can play very long but great coarse. Then about 30 min farther south you have Mataponi near Bowling green. Well worth the trip!

Anyone play Frederick county golf courses lately (whiskey creek, musket ridge, PB Dye, etc....)?? I am planning on going golfing tomorrow (I am on the incredibly short 4 day spring break) it is supposed to be 63 degrees and sunny. I can play Worthington Manor for free since I work there, but even as nice as it is I am tired of it and want to see a different course (play there 2+ times/week). I know musket has pretty good conditions usually and a very nice head pro, so if no one replies I will probably play there.

If anyone feels like playing at 8:30am with a 88-95 player, shoot me a PM.

I played Hollow Creek yesterday and it was decent for $35. The greens were a total mess tho. Fairways and tee boxes were in great shape, much better then the greens.

I am going to be playing Musket Ridge, will post a review and some pics around 8pm EST

My boss and head pro at the course where I work is setting up the tee time now :).

Although my Nike SP8s British Open edition are in my Dads car at BWI :russian_roulette: and I will probably have to walk. I was able to find my 2 year old Footjoy Dryjoys i got for $40 though. Hopefully they let me ride (im only 16, but work at a golf course as a cart attendant and have my permit.)

Sorry it took longer then I said but I have my review.

I really like this course. It is really scenic and nice, It is not a difficult course though. I usually shoot around a 43-46 at Worthington Manor from the blues. At Musket (from blues) I shot a 45 and a 40 for a total of 85 which is my best round ever.

The fairways were aerated, but that didn't effect the golf much at all if anything. The conditions were pretty good, but some bunkers were just bad with NO sand. Working at Worthington Manor and playing there at least 2x a week I am used to pretty fast greens, but when I played Musket, the greens were VERY slow. Just to make sure it wasn't me. I asked my playing partners (who i was paired with) about it and they too said the greens were very slow. The staff as usual were great, and the head pro David Freiss is very nice and is doing a great job!

Also, this subject doesn't get much attention, but I feel it is important. The junior rates at Musket Ridge are the best I've seen for this area. $25 weekday walking and $35 Weekend walking. I have to give credit to Musket Ridge for that.

Here are a few pictures:

2uyfy87.jpg

5mg7qc.jpg

1zmmu7m.jpg

• 2 months later...

Just played Queenstown Harbor today and LOVED it!!! Played the River course (nicer of the 2) and it was gorgeous, will definitely play it again. Great Pro Shop well stocked and well priced. Even bought 2 Titleist hats (one Penn State) for $25 total as they were running B1G1 sale.

Greens are EXTREMELY fast, I was 4 over after 5, and if I would of 2 putted my 3 putts I would of been even! But I did hit the stick on the fly on the Par 3 hole #3! (Granted im not the best putter, but I dont have more then 2 3-putts on 9 holes 99% of the time)

It's not really a DC Metro course but since someone mentioned Greystone I thought I'd mention the best value in golf within 90 minutes of central MD: Rocky Point. Its not very conveniently located and the rounds can be a little slow but the course is beautiful. Its on the end of a peninsula with views of the bay on several holes and not a single house within a few miles. Their weekday afternoon special (after 12pm I think) is $28 with a cart.

The course conditions are pretty typical for municipal course - longer fairways and slower greens than upscale public or private courses. They've done a lot of work lately and actually keep the bunkers in great shape which is really surprising. It is beginner friendly so when I play with higher-handicap players I like to go there. Plenty of room to let the driver rip and it has very reachable par 5's. Its still challenging for a good player though because it can play fairly long. Its got huge greens which will help your GIR% but pummel your PPGIR%.

If you're on a budget you can't beat it. If you want to play early am on the weekend you'll have to get your tee-time 17 days in advance and early on that day (6am). Its that popular.

It's not really a DC Metro course but since someone mentioned Greystone I thought I'd mention the best value in golf within 90 minutes of central MD: Rocky Point. Its not very conveniently located and the rounds can be a little slow but the course is beautiful. Its on the end of a peninsula with views of the bay on several holes and not a single house within a few miles. Their weekday afternoon special (after 12pm I think) is $28 with a cart.

The course conditions are pretty typical for municipal course - longer fairways and slower greens than upscale public or private courses. They've done a lot of work lately and actually keep the bunkers in great shape which is really surprising. It is beginner friendly so when I play with higher-handicap players I like to go there. Plenty of room to let the driver rip and it has very reachable par 5's. Its still challenging for a good player though because it can play fairly long. Its got huge greens which will help your GIR% but pummel your PPGIR%.

If you're on a budget you can't beat it. If you want to play early am on the weekend you'll have to get your tee-time 17 days in advance and early on that day (6am). Its that popular.

SSSSSSSHHHH!!! Well it WAS one of the best kept secrets in the area :) Everything you said about it is right on. As for condition, one of the reasons for the great conditions right now, is the news Superintendent came from a private country club very near by and just took care of some of the basic things.

I just wish it was a bit easier to get to, having to cross that bridge and then it's a good 15 minutes or so once off I-695. But a very enjoyable course and great conditions.

Vokey

Just played Queenstown Harbor today and LOVED it!!! Played the River course (nicer of the 2) and it was gorgeous, will definitely play it again. Great Pro Shop well stocked and well priced. Even bought 2 Titleist hats (one Penn State) for $25 total as they were running B1G1 sale.

Greens are EXTREMELY fast, I was 4 over after 5, and if I would of 2 putted my 3 putts I would of been even! But I did hit the stick on the fly on the Par 3 hole #3! (Granted im not the best putter, but I dont have more then 2 3-putts on 9 holes 99% of the time)

Ump, one of my favorite courses in the area. Remember that 54 hole event I told you about. It was held there two years ago. Three rounds on the River Course in one day...Priceless!!! Oh and that par 3 that you hit the flag on. They had an all day closest to the pin contest on it. My first round I hit it to about 2 1/2 feet and it held up all day for the prize......Yes, I did make the putt :)

Vokey

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Munich77' post='1861116' date='Aug 3 2009, 10:22 AM']Has anyone played either Argyle CC or Norbeck CC?[/quote]
No. Both are private.Is Argyle even still open, I thought it closed a year or two ago, but I could be wrong. i was going to play in a scramble event at Argyle a few years ago but it was rained out.

Vokey

[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' post='1862048' date='Aug 3 2009, 04:59 PM'][quote name='Munich77' post='1861116' date='Aug 3 2009, 10:22 AM']Has anyone played either Argyle CC or Norbeck CC?[/quote]
No. Both are private.Is Argyle even still open, I thought it closed a year or two ago, but I could be wrong. i was going to play in a scramble event at Argyle a few years ago but it was rained out.
[/quote]

Thanks - I drove by both of them last weekend they looked pretty good. Norbeck has a sweet deal for entry frees right now which is why I was asking.

Couple courses in Northern VA (Centreville, Clifton, Fairfax area) run grass ranges on Friday-Sunday.

Twin Lakes, Westfields (I think) and Fairfax National.

Twin Lakes has a big range and you can get a large bucket for (80ish balls) for $11. They have a putting green with flags but no holes (always fricken slow) and a chipping/bunker area adjacent to it.

Westfields has a nice practice area and you can get unlimited balls for $15 - the practice green there is very well maintained - green is nice and quick.

Fairfax National is supposed to have a nice set but I haven't been out there in a while.

Anyway, just getting my game back together after a long lay off - got some new equipment I'm happy with and starting to play more. Shooting in my mid 70s even with some screw ups per round and looking for some decent players/folks to play with.

Shoot me a PM if anyone is interested in getting together. Kind of tough to find a game in area.

SIM 2 Max - Tensei AV Raw Blue 60 Stiff
3W - SIM 15 - Ventus Red Stiff
Srixon ZX 3 19 - Evenflow Riptide 80 Stiff
4-6 Srixon ZX5 Nippon 105 S

7-PW Srixon ZX7  Nippon T120 S
50, 55, 60 Vokey SM8 Nippon 105 S
Scotty Cameron 2.7

• 5 months later...

[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' date='30 March 2009 - 09:37 AM' timestamp='1238423828' post='1591244']
Ahhh, that makes since although the post makes it sound like he was talking about Worthington Manor, since the originalposter hadn't played RN yet. As far as I'm concerned you can have Reston National I've played it 3 times over the last 15 years with about 5 years or so between each round, it never improved in all that time.
[/quote]

<sigh>

Sadly, it's the closest to my house. I've played it once and do not plan to return. Totally overcrowded with golfers, and overrun with non-golfers as well.

[quote name='bravla30' date='13 August 2008 - 12:18 PM' timestamp='1218647907' post='1210598']
Another course that is a little further out there in VA is Virgina National. Some of the best greens around, at least a couple of years ago.
[/quote]

The greens, especially on the back nine, were done in by some kind of blight in 2009. They've worked to bring them back, and were getting decent by the time the season ended. The course in general was suffering from low participation, which led to less maintenance. The down spiral resulted in going bankrupt, which may actually be good for the course while obviously a disaster for the owner. I say good for the couse because it led to the course being acquired by Davis Love III, who promptly started to bring in materials and equipment to begin the task of getting it in shape.

It's a great course, built between a large ridge and the Shenandoah river. There are plenty of challanges, especially when you get to the back nine. From 12 to 13 the cart path climbs the ridge at a steep angle, complete with switch-back. 13 runs parallel to the ridge, half-way up, and ends in the most difficult green on the course. 13 to 14 is another climb up the ridge leading to the signature hole. The tee boxes stair-step up the ridge to the crest, while the green is a loooooong way down. I love that hole! You can see 25-30 miles from the tee box easy. If you're going to miss, put it in the bunker to the left or be a bit short or short/right if you want to see your ball again.

I really look forward to seeing it brought back into top shape by the new owner.

[quote name='mike03a3' date='12 January 2010 - 05:01 PM' timestamp='1263333676' post='2177596']
[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' date='30 March 2009 - 09:37 AM' timestamp='1238423828' post='1591244']
[/quote]

<sigh>

Sadly, it's the closest to my house. I've played it once and do not plan to return. Totally overcrowded with golfers, and overrun with non-golfers as well.
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more. That place is a mess. Longest round of my life.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, no mention of the new 1757 Golf Club at Dulles? I don't even live in NOVA any more!

I played there a few times last year, when they had 10 holes open. The course was supposed to be private, but went upscale daily due to the economy. You could play the 10 twice, basically getting 20 holes for $59 during the week (with cart), or $65 on the weekend.

The full course is supposed to open this Spring, hopefully in a couple of weeks. I used to ride by it as it was being built on the W&OD trail, and it looked really nice.

Lastly, the best part about this course is the practice facility. Not grass tees, but HUGE, with lots of flags to hit to. I'd wager it might be the nicest public practice facility in the area.

I'll be up there working all summer long (live in Texas in the winter), and plan on bringing my clubs up. I have my off days during the week, but weekends are pretty much out.

Do you all have crowded conditions with leagues and things like that on weekday afternoons?

Also, what is an average GF rate up there? From what I've seen 50-55 for muni courses seems to be standard, which TBH is pretty pricey. Down here a weekday rate for a nice 6500-7000 yard track usually runs no more than 35 with a cart and some as low as 20 w/cart.

I would like to be able to get out at least once a week and maybe one day of practice a week, and BTW, what's up with the premiums for using the grass areas at the ranges?

[quote name='Sid Vicious' date='02 February 2010 - 12:07 PM' timestamp='1265130458' post='2222190']
I'll be up there working all summer long (live in Texas in the winter), and plan on bringing my clubs up. I have my off days during the week, but weekends are pretty much out.

Do you all have crowded conditions with leagues and things like that on weekday afternoons?

Also, what is an average GF rate up there? From what I've seen 50-55 for muni courses seems to be standard, which TBH is pretty pricey. Down here a weekday rate for a nice 6500-7000 yard track usually runs no more than 35 with a cart and some as low as 20 w/cart.

I would like to be able to get out at least once a week and maybe one day of practice a week, and BTW, what's up with the premiums for using the grass areas at the ranges?
[/quote]

Sid, getting on most courses during a weekday is not a problem. Unless you run into the Charity scrambles which seem to be held on Mondays a lot in this area at several courses. A nice midscale course during the week will run you $50 to $60. You can find some of the county run or city run courses in certain areas for the $35 to $40 you metion on weekdays. Most don't have their twilight start until about 3PM some even 4PM where rates drop, but you may or may not get an entire 18 in.

I haven't run into too many leagues where I go, but there are some around. The only place I know of that charges a premium for the grass range is Olney Golf Park, almsot all the courses in my area that have grass ranges dont' charge extra for it.

Keep in touch, and I mostl likely can join you on one or two of those weekday rounds.

Vokey

• 1 month later...

I was able to get out after school and do some golfing at Worthington Manor today. The tee-boxes had tees on them, sand traps were nice (except for the usual small rocks in most at WM), and i believe all fairways on the front except #5 were aerated a week or 2 ago and while the dirt "plugs" that end up on top of the fairway were gone but the holes were still very noticeable (although in my opinion this did not affect my play), but #5 was recently aerated and still had the dirt "plugs" all over, but hopefully this should improve within a week.

Also the proshop had some great deals on Nike Polos ($30 each), Windbreakers $35 each, Bridgestone E series golf balls $20/dozen, and what shoes that were left had GREAT prices (but there were only about 7 pairs total maybe)

I'll be golfing on Friday hopefully and will have some pictures.

Also on Sunday My Dad and I will be playing a course called River Run in Berlin, MD. Its supposed to be a really nice course, I'll have pictures from that round too

Heading to DC this weekend, Easter, anyone have some recommendations as to what is decent to play this time of year? Rating, slope, condition would be appreciated. Thanks

TS3 8.5, tenseii pro blue 70tx tipped 1"
917 f3 15, tenseii pro blue 80tx tipped 1.5"
U510 2, recoil 110 f5
U500 4, 620mb 5-9, PX 6.5
SM8 46.10, 50.12, PX 6.5

SM8 raw 56.14, 62.10 s400
Scotty Newport 2, Pro Platinum

Pro V1x left dash

[quote name='surehands79' date='29 March 2010 - 04:08 PM' timestamp='1269893296' post='2348617']
Heading to DC this weekend, Easter, anyone have some recommendations as to what is decent to play this time of year? Rating, slope, condition would be appreciated. Thanks
[/quote]

Are you going to DC itself or the DC area. It's a pretty big metro region that stretches covers something like 250 square miles when you take into consideration all the burbs. Where you're staying will decide where to play. Both Maryland and Virginia have first class courses and public munis. Forget DC itself, only a couple non descript public courses that would ruin the reputation of golf in this area.

If you're staying in Northern Virginia some of the top courses are Raspberry Falls, Westfileds, Old Hickory, Laurel Hill. Maryland is a bit more spread out. But the Montgomery County area has Little Bennet, PB Dye, Worthington Manor and a bit north of that is Whiskey Creek and Musket Ridge.

The eastern suburbs of Maryland offer, Renditions (a replica course of major championships), Lake Presidential, Northwest Park (an underated muni) among others.

Vokey