DC Metro Golf Scene

nova-a-aron

[quote name='jmorr81' timestamp='1311899160' post='3432770']
Has anyone played Glade Valley Golf Club up in Walkersville? What were your impressions?
[/quote]

I've played it twice this year. It's really just okay. Nothing special at all. it's a typical muni. Little to no rough. You really shouldn't lose a ball here. It's pretty wide open with the fairways all running right next to one another. It is kept in fairly good condition given the dry weather we have had, and it can be played dirt cheap through specials of GolfNow.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

[quote name='bmorejared' timestamp='1312383372' post='3447636']
[quote name='jmorr81' timestamp='1311899160' post='3432770']
Has anyone played Glade Valley Golf Club up in Walkersville? What were your impressions?
[/quote]

I've played it twice this year. It's really just okay. Nothing special at all. it's a typical muni. Little to no rough. You really shouldn't lose a ball here. It's pretty wide open with the fairways all running right next to one another. It is kept in fairly good condition given the dry weather we have had, and it can be played dirt cheap through specials of GolfNow.
[/quote]

Agree - it's a hike but for $15 I will make it. Wide open on most holes and great for driving practice

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='CEPick' timestamp='1327024572' post='4121479']
Sorry to resurrect this thread. I'm moving to the DC Metro/ 66W corridor in May and I need some suggestions for a track with a reasonable price I can play on weekends.
[/quote]
No problem. As for reasonable prices the two thaft first come to mind out off I-66 area are Bristow Manor and Virgina Oaks. A lot of people seem to like Generals Ridge, but I cant' tell you anything about it, as I've never played it. Old Hickory about 10 miles from Manassas is very nice but a bit pricier.

But the best club in the whole area out there is Westfields followed closely by Stonewall (IMO) but you will pay north of $100 for each of them.

Feel free to check out the Maryland Golfers thread, there are several NOVA guys that post in there as well about courses in their area.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

• 5 weeks later...

First of all, living off I-66 probably gives you the best access to some of the best Northern Virginia courses. If money isn't an issue for you, Old Hickory, Stonewall, and Westfields are great options but they are really pricey on the weekends. If you can get on these courses during a weekday afternoon thats probably your best bet.

If you can only play on the weekend and you are on a budget, definitely play Bristow. Pretty tough course and good price. If you live near South Riding and Pleasant Valley, I suggest getting the players pass which is really good deal. Avoid Penderbrook at all cost IMO.

Maryland has a bunch of courses especially off I-270.

• 2 months later...

Have you guys in NOVA ever played at Penderbrook? I played there for the first time a couple of weeks ago and I had a good time. The course was in pretty good shape. I really like a couple of the Par 3's and there was no one there! The price was ok at $65. Beer was cheap, only down side no driving range. They do have a practice green though.

Driver -  PXG Gen5 0311 XF 12* - PX Cypher 50 R

5 Wood -  Taylormade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue R

Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW - True Temper S

Wedges - Titleist SM8 52* 56* 

Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Special Select - 33" 

[quote name='JWells' timestamp='1336535755' post='4877464']
Have you guys in NOVA ever played at Penderbrook? I played there for the first time a couple of weeks ago and I had a good time. The course was in pretty good shape. I really like a couple of the Par 3's and there was no one there! The price was ok at $65. Beer was cheap, only down side no driving range. They do have a practice green though.
[/quote]

Yes, I hadn't played for a long time because it used to be overcrowded and under maintained, but conditions this season are very impressive thus far. Greens roll nicely and the fairways are in good shape. Tee boxes were patchy, though. Anyway, $65 is still a lot to pay for that course, I'd rather play at Pleasant Valley, Twin Lakes or Bristow Manor for that price range or slightly less.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking of taking the gf one evening to a round of "Night Golf" @ Reston National. From what I've read the course during normal hours can get pretty congested (just like everything else around here) but was curious if anyone has actually played a round of night golf here and could give me some pointers/feedback.

Edit: Also per a majority of suggestions from these forums and friends, I plan on doing a round at Bristow Manor next week.

[quote name='z+diac' timestamp='1337915245' post='4974472']
I was thinking of taking the gf one evening to a round of "Night Golf" @ Reston National. From what I've read the course during normal hours can get pretty congested (just like everything else around here) but was curious if anyone has actually played a round of night golf here and could give me some pointers/feedback.

Edit: Also per a majority of suggestions from these forums and friends, I plan on doing a round at Bristow Manor next week.
[/quote]

Reston National already did night golf earlier this month, I think they only do It once a year

[quote name='JWells' timestamp='1337957820' post='4976398']
[quote name='z+diac' timestamp='1337915245' post='4974472']

[/quote]

Reston National already did night golf earlier this month, I think they only do It once a year
[/quote]

I think you're right, but the date his year is June 15th :P - [url="http://www.restonnationalgc.com/Night-Golf8.news"]http://www.restonnat...ight-Golf8.news[/url] though it seems silly to only do 5 holes, especially considering it's a scramble. Something tells me you're paying more for the drinks :P

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up playing at Bristow Manor this weekend and have to say I was impressed. Not only does the link-style of the course remind me of courses back in my home state of South Dakota, but the staff is friendly and extremely accommodating. Not only that but it was hella cheap ($19.50 for twilight) and completely open. I just wish my game was where I left off some 4 years ago :( The only gripe I had was the horrendous conditions of the cart path. Due to all the heavy rain from the day before, the course was requiring cart-path only play, so I guess on any other day this gripe could be looked over

[quote name='z+diac' timestamp='1338729235' post='5021110']
I ended up playing at Bristow Manor this weekend and have to say I was impressed. Not only does the link-style of the course remind me of courses back in my home state of South Dakota, but the staff is friendly and extremely accommodating. Not only that but it was hella cheap ($19.50 for twilight) and completely open. I just wish my game was where I left off some 4 years ago :( The only gripe I had was the horrendous conditions of the cart path. Due to all the heavy rain from the day before, the course was requiring cart-path only play, so I guess on any other day this gripe could be looked over
[/quote]

Good to know, thanks. I like the conditions there and usually have a good time. As posted a long time ago, my main issue there is the par 5s. Three out of four par 5s you are forced to hit essentially lay up tee shots, and the fourth has rough cut into the middle of the fairway. I'm not in course design, but it just seems silly to have so many short par 5s you can't take a rip at off the tee. Narrow is one thing, but having a hazard 250-300 off the tee, IMO, is gimmicky. The other holes are all solid, though. The 18th hole is a heckuva challenge, both off the tee and on the approach. It's a fun course overall, and visually pleasing.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

• 1 month later...

Hope the weather clears up, I have a 2:30 tee time I was really looking forward to

[quote name='jeffyjeffmn' timestamp='1342877226' post='5321174']
[quote name='JWells' timestamp='1342875267' post='5321070']
Hope the weather clears up, I have a 2:30 tee time I was really looking forward to
[/quote]

Where are you playing today?
[/quote]

Was just gonna play Penderbrook with a couple of buddies who aren't good. Don't think that will happen now

• 5 years later...

Is this thread long gone by now? What courses have you guys played in the DC/Metro area recently that you loved?

Some I have played recently are, Westfields, Pohick Bay, and Penderbrook. I also just got back from a weekend trip with 3 friends down in the Radford/Draper area where we payed Draper Valley, Pete Dye River Course, and Auburn Hills (Riner, Va).

Let's resurrect this thread!

• 2 months later...

My favorites in the area (when I can get a GolfNow deal on any of them):

MD: Whiskey Creek, Blue Mash, Maryland National, PB Dye, Waverly Woods, Renditions, Clustered Spires.

VA: Potomac Shores, Old Hickory, Westfields, Stonewall, Laurel Hill, Bull Run, Raspberry Falls.

Courses in VA/MD I hate: Reston National, Greendale, The Gauntlet, Pleasant Valley

STEALTH 2 Tour AD DI 6X //  SIM Oban Devotion 65-04 //  699 v2 MMT105s //  JB Full Groove MMT105w //  TOULON ATLANTA //  Vice Pro+

Courses I'm familiar with.

NVA, west of DC

OK:

Laurel Hill - high priced. excellent layout & conditioning

Brambleton, Algonkian - inexpensive & usually in good shape. State parks courses

Pleasant Valley - mid priced, decent condition

South Riding - mid priced, interesting layout, bunkers usually in bad shape

Twin Lakes - 2 courses, decent shape, low priced

Herndon - mid priced, short but interesting, good condition, very walkable

Blue Ridge Shadows - coming back after new owners. no longer overpriced. bunkers in poor shape

Shenendoah Valley - 27 holes. great bargain, short, unineteresting course. No water, no hazards, no fairway bunkers. Good conditioning.

Bristow Manor - mid priced. Good zoysia fairways. interesting layout

Over-rated:

Raspberry Falls - way over priced at $100+, conditions deteriorated over the last few years, unfriendly staff, good practice area

1756 - over priced, cramped layout, too many holes are short dogleg right around ponds. big practice area that's mats on concrete.

Reston National - over priced. poor conditioning

Bull Run - high price. varying condition. slow play.

Just bad:

Goose Creek - inexpensive. no range, poor condition - may be no longer open

Westpark - poor condition, dull layout - soon to be closed for houses - a good thing...

Penderbrook - inexpensive, poor layout, can be poorly conditioned.

Virginia Oaks - poor layout. bad conditioning

MD:

Worthington Manor - interesting layout. Open links-style. a bit over-priced.

Whiskey Creek - over-priced. over-rated.

Renditions - mid to high prices. excellent condition. interesting layout.

Never pay rack rate on any of these - use GolfNow hot deals or TeeOff deals.

I play pretty regularly at Twin Lakes, Brambleton, and Algonkian. They are great courses to walk and are not very expensive. They are just county courses but they are generally kept in good shape. Greens can be a bit slow though. At Twin Lakes, they just re-did all of the bunkers on the Lakes course this past fall.

I agree with a lot of the comments made by Donatello. Goose Creek is closed for good. I reallllly want to like 1757, but it's definitely too cramped. Bull Run was always fun to play, but over the years their price has crept up the point where it's just not worth it. Penderbrook and Westpark just need to shut down already, lol.

For about a 5-6 year run, I had a $25 cash hook up at Lansdowne Golf Resort for either RTJ2 or The Norman Course. I think it's around $150 otherwise. That definitely spoiled my friends and me!

Rumor is that 1757 will also be closing in the near future. Land to be used for datacenters. Recent land purchases nearby have exceeded $1M per acre. 1757 owners got the courses and clubhouse built for for close to free by two bankrupt lessors, who built the course & facility and then stiffed the contractors in Chap-11,with the land reverting to the owners. Since getting the land back, they have 'parked' it with Casper golf running the facility until it's sold for commercial development. Much more value as development land than as a golf course.

Uh oh, $50 on a weekend is inexpensive?

I was thinking of moving there next year, but I'm spoiled by Midwestern rates I think.

Yeah, mate, sorry but you're in for a shocker. Try to play during the week, weekend rates (and rate of play) are ridiculous. Easily $80 for mediocre courses

Now, that said, you can manage to play reasonably if you sacrifice quality and stick to munis.

Agreed that Haines Point is pretty great for views and is right downtown. Other city courses have interesting history and mix of players. College Park has an executive 9 that's fine, just down the road from the UMaryland course which is great.

But man, coming to Omaha is like a Mecca of quality inexpensive golf compared to DC.

VSGA runs one-day events that are a great bargain and a chance to play many privates at a good price (~$50). Tournaments are not very serious - more fun events. Schedule at https://vsga.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/2018-VSGA-One-Day-Poster.pdf

Some solid clubs on there. Glad to see Loudoun CC in the mix come August.

MM