DC Metro Golf Scene

nova-a-aron

[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' date='30 March 2010 - 07:58 AM' timestamp='1269950295' post='2349734']
[quote name='surehands79' date='29 March 2010 - 04:08 PM' timestamp='1269893296' post='2348617']
Heading to DC this weekend, Easter, anyone have some recommendations as to what is decent to play this time of year? Rating, slope, condition would be appreciated. Thanks
[/quote]

Are you going to DC itself or the DC area. It's a pretty big metro region that stretches covers something like 250 square miles when you take into consideration all the burbs. Where you're staying will decide where to play. Both Maryland and Virginia have first class courses and public munis. Forget DC itself, only a couple non descript public courses that would ruin the reputation of golf in this area.

If you're staying in Northern Virginia some of the top courses are Raspberry Falls, Westfileds, Old Hickory, Laurel Hill. Maryland is a bit more spread out. But the Montgomery County area has Little Bennet, PB Dye, Worthington Manor and a bit north of that is Whiskey Creek and Musket Ridge.

The eastern suburbs of Maryland offer, Renditions (a replica course of major championships), Lake Presidential, Northwest Park (an underated muni) among others.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info. Staying in Silver Spring, inside beltway, so i would think the Maryland courses are a better option (closer). The ones you listed are in order of preference? What would be best,closest grass practice area to Silver Spring?

TS3 8.5, tenseii pro blue 70tx tipped 1"
917 f3 15, tenseii pro blue 80tx tipped 1.5"
U510 2, recoil 110 f5
U500 4, 620mb 5-9, PX 6.5
SM8 46.10, 50.12, PX 6.5

SM8 raw 56.14, 62.10 s400
Scotty Newport 2, Pro Platinum

Pro V1x left dash

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Silver Spring you will be very close to University of Maryland's golf course. It's open to the public, however it just went under a renovation last fall and some early reports I've heard are the fairways have a ways to go yet. There is going to be a Nationwide Tour event there this year in May, so they are probably hard at work getting it ready.

As for other courses with grass ranges, I'm not sure if there are any real close to there. Lake Presidential I mentioned has a grass range and is about 15 to 20 miles from Silver Spring, however Beltway traffic could make the trip 30 to 45 minutes. Renditions doesn't have a grass range but is about 4 to 5 miles from Lake Presidential.

You could shoot about 15 miles straight up Route 29 from Silver Spring to Waverly Woods. It an Arthur Hills design and considered some of the best greens in the state of Maryland. It has a grass range, a short game practice area and is very nice. Allow 30 minutes probably for that as well. Take Route 29 north, to I-70 west to the first exit, Marriottsville Road, turn right at the exit then right at the first light the course is on the left.

I personally would rate them 1) Renditions, 2) Waverly Woods and 3) Lake Presidential. Many people will reverse that order, but it's my preference.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

[quote name='Freak2' date='12 January 2010 - 08:18 PM' timestamp='1263341907' post='2177659']
[quote name='mike03a3' date='12 January 2010 - 05:01 PM' timestamp='1263333676' post='2177596']
[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' date='30 March 2009 - 09:37 AM' timestamp='1238423828' post='1591244']
Ahhh, that makes since although the post makes it sound like he was talking about Worthington Manor, since the originalposter hadn't played RN yet. As far as I'm concerned you can have Reston National I've played it 3 times over the last 15 years with about 5 years or so between each round, it never improved in all that time.
[/quote]

<sigh>

Sadly, it's the closest to my house. I've played it once and do not plan to return. Totally overcrowded with golfers, and overrun with non-golfers as well.
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more. That place is a mess. Longest round of my life.
[/quote]
+ 2

CALLAWAY GBB EPIC SUBZERO 9* OBAN KIYOSHI PURPLE

07 BURNER TP 17.5* MATRIX CODE 8
ADAMS PRO GOLD 3H TOUR ISSUE NV 85
COBRA KING FORGED 5-GW KBS TOUR V
CALLAWAY MD3 FORDED 56* RAW KBS TOUR V
CALLAWAY MD3 FORDED 60* RAW KBS TOUR V
TOULON MILLED COLUMBUS CAMERON BLACK MATADOR MID
TAYLORMADE TP5X
CALLAWAY APEX UT 21* RECOIL 110 DEPENDING ON CONDITIONS

Stonewall is a fantastic course in Gainesville....Just a bit pricey unfortunately :beee::beee:

CALLAWAY GBB EPIC SUBZERO 9* OBAN KIYOSHI PURPLE

07 BURNER TP 17.5* MATRIX CODE 8
ADAMS PRO GOLD 3H TOUR ISSUE NV 85
COBRA KING FORGED 5-GW KBS TOUR V
CALLAWAY MD3 FORDED 56* RAW KBS TOUR V
CALLAWAY MD3 FORDED 60* RAW KBS TOUR V
TOULON MILLED COLUMBUS CAMERON BLACK MATADOR MID
TAYLORMADE TP5X
CALLAWAY APEX UT 21* RECOIL 110 DEPENDING ON CONDITIONS

[quote name='creecool' date='30 March 2010 - 02:44 PM' timestamp='1269974693' post='2350542']
Stonewall is a fantastic course in Gainesville....Just a bit pricey unfortunately :beee::beee:
[/quote]

It's a great course and you're right a bit pricey. Golfstyles is having one of their Summer Solstice tournaments (54 holes in day) there this year. We have a group of 8 guys who have played in it for the past 5 to 6 years and we almost chose Stonewall, but the date was bad for a couple so we are going to Musket Ridge. It is $277 for the tournament, so 3 rounds at that price is a pretty good deal.

Vokey

my dogs loved the golf course after people were done..they got to run in big circles...
when I lived in Maryland, we would play leesburg, va. There were kids who would stand in their yards wearing baseball gloves to catch the balls off the first tee. They usually got a few if the didn't hit the apartments on the right side.

• 3 months later...

[quote name='elunoputter' date='31 March 2010 - 06:55 PM' timestamp='1270079755' post='2353651']
my dogs loved the golf course after people were done..they got to run in big circles...
when I lived in Maryland, we would play leesburg, va. There were kids who would stand in their yards wearing baseball gloves to catch the balls off the first tee. They usually got a few if the didn't hit the apartments on the right side.
[/quote]

That would be Westpark, which is a great value course. Their staff is awesome and they have recently expanded the amount of time between tee times to help with slow play. It has been a good improvement, and caused me to play there more often.

And I have put and errant drive off the apartment building on the first tee.....

[quote name='Volksman' date='12 July 2010 - 11:20 AM' timestamp='1278948040' post='2570390']
[quote name='elunoputter' date='31 March 2010 - 06:55 PM' timestamp='1270079755' post='2353651']
[/quote]

That would be Westpark, which is a great value course. Their staff is awesome and they have recently expanded the amount of time between tee times to help with slow play. It has been a good improvement, and caused me to play there more often.

And I have put and errant drive off the apartment building on the first tee.....
[/quote]

when I was watcing st andrews this morning, I told my wife about the apts that got bombed...big clank if it hit the railings first.

I live in Arlington, about 5 minutes from the District.

Reston National - I don't recommend. Play is extremely slow. If you're going to be in that area, just go play http://www.herndongolf.com. Much faster pace.

Westfields - Great course. Excellent condition. A little pricey, but its worth it.

Raspberry Falls - Best course I've played in the area. Expensive and kind of far from me, but a remarkable course.

Lake Presidential - Nice course in Upper Marlboro. This course might be the best maintained I've seen. I know the pro there, and he has mentioned something to me about some special fertilizer or something. I'd be really interested to hear the thoughts of anyone else who has been to Lake Pres.

[quote name='Stringer Bell' date='21 July 2010 - 11:50 AM' timestamp='1279727428' post='2590264']

Reston National - I don't recommend. Play is extremely slow. If you're going to be in that area, just go play [url="http://www.herndongolf.com."]http://www.herndongolf.com.[/url] Much faster pace.

Westfields - Great course. Excellent condition. A little pricey, but its worth it.

Raspberry Falls - Best course I've played in the area. Expensive and kind of far from me, but a remarkable course.

Lake Presidential - Nice course in Upper Marlboro. This course might be the best maintained I've seen. I know the pro there, and he has mentioned something to me about some special fertilizer or something.[b] I'd be really interested to hear the thoughts of anyone else who has been to Lake Pres.
[/b][/quote]

Paging Mr. SHTERP, Mr. SHTERP please pick up the white courtesy phone and provide your feedback! :cheesy: Some people have some very strong feelings about that course.

I'm probably going to play Lake Pres this weekend and next Tuesday (hopefully) so I'll post a response after that.

SIM 2 Max - Tensei AV Raw Blue 60 Stiff
3W - SIM 15 - Ventus Red Stiff
Srixon ZX 3 19 - Evenflow Riptide 80 Stiff
4-6 Srixon ZX5 Nippon 105 S

7-PW Srixon ZX7  Nippon T120 S
50, 55, 60 Vokey SM8 Nippon 105 S
Scotty Cameron 2.7

[quote name='Stringer Bell' date='21 July 2010 - 11:50 AM' timestamp='1279727428' post='2590264']

Reston National - I don't recommend. Play is extremely slow. If you're going to be in that area, just go play [url="http://www.herndongolf.com."]http://www.herndongolf.com.[/url] Much faster pace.

Lake Presidential - Nice course in Upper Marlboro. This course might be the best maintained I've seen. I know the pro there, and he has mentioned something to me about some special fertilizer or something. I'd be really interested to hear the thoughts of anyone else who has been to Lake Pres.
[/quote]
You're right on the money about Reston, Westfields and Raspberry Falls.

Now for Lake Presidential...My disclaimer, I have not played it since June of 2008. That said, we probably played 6 rounds there in the first two months it opened in May and June of 08.

Our first couple rounds we were blown away by the conditions for a brand new course. Then something happened in early June and they lost several fairways and greens. It was beyond bad. I have heard through word of mouth that it is in outstanding shape now.

I'll know for sure by this time next week, we are playing in an event there next Tuesday, so I'll report back...if not with the results at least the conditions :)

Vokey

[b]Reston National - I don't recommend. Play is extremely slow. If you're going to be in that area, just go play [/b][url="http://www.herndongolf.com."][b]http://www.herndongolf.com.[/b][/url][b] Much faster pace.

Raspberry Falls - Best course I've played in the area. Expensive and kind of far from me, but a remarkable course.[/b]

[/quote]

Agreed... I'd also add that Pleasant Valley is a solid course as well, and they have decent deals from time to time. Just for signing up to their email list, you get a $20 coupon. Pace of play is pretty good during the week. Bristow Manor is another one that has good deals (randomly) but it has some weak holes, although conditions are generally good. There are a good number of courses not mentioned here, but these are just a couple I've played recently.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

• 1 month later...

I've seen the commercials for National on the Golf Channel and it has definitely sparked my interest. Did you join?

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland HB Soft 11S

they are have an outing for people who might want to join of Sept. 17th ?? i got an email from them today

I joined Virginia Oaks five mins from house.

Taylormade M5 10* Tensi Blue 70s
Taylormade  M5 15* Tensi Blue 65s

Taylormade M5 18* Tensi Blue 65s
Taylormade 4-PW R9 TP 
Taylormade 54, 58 Milled grind 
Taylormade TP Ardmore
Taylormade TP5X

WITB Link

• 2 weeks later...

Man cant believe nobody mentioned Bristow Manor in Bristow Va. I used to work there and it is always in top shape. Real likes feel and the greens are always perfect. They are very reasonable especially on the twilight, sometimes 25 bucks. Real nice staff as well. Also one I like to do about once a year is Generals Ridge in Manassas Park. Beautiful setup and scenery, but just a really tough course. sometime it can bank on the side of unfair, but decent scores are for sure out there. GR I think has the same kind of course conditions in terms of fairway etc as Va Oaks. I usually like the challenge VA Oaks has, but have not been out there in a bit and heard somebody said it was in rough shape?

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

played Generals Ridge this course is unfair the greens do not hold and pin placement were set up on the slope of the greens again unfair nice course ...bad pin placements

Taylormade M5 10* Tensi Blue 70s
Taylormade  M5 15* Tensi Blue 65s

Taylormade M5 18* Tensi Blue 65s
Taylormade 4-PW R9 TP 
Taylormade 54, 58 Milled grind 
Taylormade TP Ardmore
Taylormade TP5X

WITB Link

• 4 weeks later...

I am caddie at TPC Potomac at Avenel Farm, previous known as TPC Avenel. This is THE most difficult course I have played. I never got to play before the renovation but the redo is absolutely fantastic. Spoke to couple of Champions tour players during the Constellation Energy Championship, consensus was that if wasn't for Congressional, this can be a US Open course. If you know someone or have a chance to play this track, don't pass on it. You won't regret it.

[color=#0000cd][i][b]Mizuno JPX 900 9.5* Fujikura Evo II TS 661x[/b][/i][/color]
[color=#0000cd][i][b]Callaway XR 16 pro 18* Fujikura Evo II TS 775x[/b][/i][/color]
[color=#0000cd][i][b]Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 4-pw Project X LZ 6.0[/b][/i][/color]
[color=#0000cd][i][b]Mizuno T7 49*/54*/58*[/b][/i][/color]
[color=#0000cd][i][b]Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #1[/b][/i][/color]

If you staying in Silver Spring, the closest and the best course with nice grass practice facility is Blue Mash. This is sort of British links styles course alway in great condition. Hamshires Green is the best muny course near Silver Spring. it does not have a grass practice range but it is a great track you can get with a great deal. Hopefully this helps. [quote name='surehands79' timestamp='1269972356' post='2350471']
[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' date='30 March 2010 - 07:58 AM' timestamp='1269950295' post='2349734']
[quote name='surehands79' date='29 March 2010 - 04:08 PM' timestamp='1269893296' post='2348617']
Heading to DC this weekend, Easter, anyone have some recommendations as to what is decent to play this time of year? Rating, slope, condition would be appreciated. Thanks
[/quote]

Are you going to DC itself or the DC area. It's a pretty big metro region that stretches covers something like 250 square miles when you take into consideration all the burbs. Where you're staying will decide where to play. Both Maryland and Virginia have first class courses and public munis. Forget DC itself, only a couple non descript public courses that would ruin the reputation of golf in this area.

If you're staying in Northern Virginia some of the top courses are Raspberry Falls, Westfileds, Old Hickory, Laurel Hill. Maryland is a bit more spread out. But the Montgomery County area has Little Bennet, PB Dye, Worthington Manor and a bit north of that is Whiskey Creek and Musket Ridge.

The eastern suburbs of Maryland offer, Renditions (a replica course of major championships), Lake Presidential, Northwest Park (an underated muni) among others.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info. Staying in Silver Spring, inside beltway, so i would think the Maryland courses are a better option (closer). The ones you listed are in order of preference? What would be best,closest grass practice area to Silver Spring?
[/quote]

[color=#0000cd][i][b]Mizuno JPX 900 9.5* Fujikura Evo II TS 661x[/b][/i][/color]
[color=#0000cd][i][b]Callaway XR 16 pro 18* Fujikura Evo II TS 775x[/b][/i][/color]
[color=#0000cd][i][b]Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 4-pw Project X LZ 6.0[/b][/i][/color]
[color=#0000cd][i][b]Mizuno T7 49*/54*/58*[/b][/i][/color]
[color=#0000cd][i][b]Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #1[/b][/i][/color]

• 4 weeks later...

I have been reading through this thread in the hopes I would hear a bit more. I have recently relocated to the Alexandria area in the last couple of months and I have yet to get out and play. I am going to old hickory this afternoon. This weather isn't really a stretch for me as I am coming from MN and I was ecstatic with this kind of fall weather. I played to a 7 this summer in the twin cities area, and I played at least a few times a week back home. The toughest part is deciding where to play as I don't know where I am going and I don't know what's really worth the price out here. If anyone wants to get together for a round or let me know please feel free to post or send a message. Thanks guys.

[quote name='jeffyjeffmn' timestamp='1289570544' post='2786912']
I have been reading through this thread in the hopes I would hear a bit more. I have recently relocated to the Alexandria area in the last couple of months and I have yet to get out and play. I am going to old hickory this afternoon. This weather isn't really a stretch for me as I am coming from MN and I was ecstatic with this kind of fall weather. I played to a 7 this summer in the twin cities area, and I played at least a few times a week back home. The toughest part is deciding where to play as I don't know where I am going and I don't know what's really worth the price out here. If anyone wants to get together for a round or let me know please feel free to post or send a message. Thanks guys.
[/quote]

Welcom jeffy....if you haven't done so already go to the thread. All Things Maryland Golf. it's a thred that's very active on a daily basis. We get together all the time to play. Granted mostly it's in Maryland, but if you're in Alexandria, you're not too far of drive away. For example we played Lake Presidental yesterday, but read my rant about the service there.

Old Hickory is one of my favorites in that area as well as Laurel Hill, a bit further down the road from Old Hickory is Forest Greens a bit west of you out 66 is Westfields and Bull Run, Virgina Oaks.

If you don't mind driving 45 minutes to an hour, you will find more choice than you can have time to play on the weekends. Unfortunately within about 15 to 20 minutes of you are some very very nice Privates, such as Mount Vernon, Belle Haven, Army Navy..etc.

I know some of the maryland guys are trying to get together tomorrow somewhere up here. go to the thread and see if you're able to join in.

Good luck, as for practice have you been to Top Golf off Van Dorn. When I worked in Alexandria, i went there a couple times a week at lunch for practice. It's a bit pricey but very good. The best thing now is their heated hitting bays, some of the best around so you can practice all winter.

Vokey

• 7 months later...

[quote name='Reisen' timestamp='1265127820' post='2222089']
Wow, no mention of the new 1757 Golf Club at Dulles? I don't even live in NOVA any more!

I played there a few times last year, when they had 10 holes open. The course was supposed to be private, but went upscale daily due to the economy. You could play the 10 twice, basically getting 20 holes for $59 during the week (with cart), or $65 on the weekend.

The full course is supposed to open this Spring, hopefully in a couple of weeks. I used to ride by it as it was being built on the W&OD trail, and it looked really nice.

Lastly, the best part about this course is the practice facility. Not grass tees, but HUGE, with lots of flags to hit to. I'd wager it might be the nicest public practice facility in the area.
[/quote]

1757 is terrible IMO...tiny tight course and in no way grown in yet (bald patches everywhere). Literally drove right past it thinking it was like a restaurant t or something on the side of a major highway.

[quote name='shinysticks77' timestamp='1309740355' post='3362163']
[quote name='Reisen' timestamp='1265127820' post='2222089']
Wow, no mention of the new 1757 Golf Club at Dulles? I don't even live in NOVA any more!

I played there a few times last year, when they had 10 holes open. The course was supposed to be private, but went upscale daily due to the economy. You could play the 10 twice, basically getting 20 holes for $59 during the week (with cart), or $65 on the weekend.

The full course is supposed to open this Spring, hopefully in a couple of weeks. I used to ride by it as it was being built on the W&OD trail, and it looked really nice.

Lastly, the best part about this course is the practice facility. Not grass tees, but HUGE, with lots of flags to hit to. I'd wager it might be the nicest public practice facility in the area.
[/quote]

1757 is terrible IMO...tiny tight course and in no way grown in yet (bald patches everywhere). Literally drove right past it thinking it was like a restaurant t or something on the side of a major highway.
[/quote]

LOL!!! I must have as well. I was coming back from Winchester one day and I last fall and thought I'd stop in and give it a try. I had DIRECTIONS...still didn't see it. My buddies told me later I drove right by it but that you wouldn't know if was the course entrance if you didn't know what you were looking for. Well they lost a walk up round that day. I just headed back north a bit and played closer to home.

Vokey

• 3 weeks later...

My Top 5 in the NOVA/DC Area:

1. Congressional CC (Bethesda, MD)
- Have been lucky to join a memebr for a few rounds. The beauty is unmatched. Very challenging to say the least. Only complaint is "stuffy" atmosphere. Caddies like BIG tips.

2. Robert Trent Jones G.C. (Gainesville, VA)
- Father-in-law is a member so I play there regularly. A truly challenging course, greens are exceptionally fast and true. Caddies are second to none! Clubhouse is beautiful.

3. Evergreen CC (Haymarket, VA)
- My home club, course is always in great shape, club pros are top notch. Driving range needs improvement. Dues are reasonable.

4. Kingsmill River Course (Williamsburg, VA)
- A great weekend getaway with the boys. Challenging course and scenic along the river. Also, a great place to take the wife for a spa weekend, allows for 36 holes a day.

5. Canon Ridge G.C. (Fredericksburg, VA)
- Simply put, can't beat it for the price.