DC Metro Golf Scene

nova-a-aron

Course Reviews
Following is a review of courses I've played w/in 45 minutes of DC metro. Hope it helps.

VirginiaFavorite: Old Hickory -- Woodbridge VA (off I-95)

Country club experience that won't break the bank. Great twilight specials on weekends. Course is always perfectly manicured; greens are very true without being too fast, not hard to get tee time. All-in-all, the course is challenging without being impossible for people who don't play golf for a living.

Westfields: Clifton, VA (Off-I-66, few exits past tysons corner)

Fred Couples designed course owned and maintained by Marriott Resort. Perfectly maintained, a tad pricey. Country club experience. Challenging but fair. Average length, tight fairways. Drivers don't have to stay in bag, but accuracy far more important than length.

Stonewall: Gainesville, VA (I-66...around Manassas)

Beautifully maintained...on par with Old Hickory and Westfields. The most expensive of the 3. Fantastic scenery. Overlooks lake Manassas and famed Robert Trent Jones course.

Laurel Hill -- Lorton, VA (off I-95)

One of the nicest munis I've played. Built on the grounds of what one of the largest federal prisons in the U.S. Has a British Open / lynx style to it...tight fairways, tough rough. One negative, almost always very windy.

Twin Lakes: Clifton, VA (I-66...around the corner from Westfields)

Nice muni. Huge facility...2 18 hole courses (The Oaks and Lake Courses). The Oaks course is the newer of the two. The greens on the Oaks separate it from the Lakes Course, but latter is fun to play as well. Oaks is thinner, more tree lined. One negative is the amount of play it gets.

Maryland

Blue Mash: Laytonsville, MD (off 270)

Fantastic course. Has British open feel to it...flat, average length (nice walking course). Challenging but fair greens. Country Club experience. One of my favorites.

Renditions: Davidsonville, MD (Off Route 50)

Fun course to play to bring people to play when visiting. One of several courses in the country that do replica of famous holes. Great condition, kind of pricey. Not a course I'd play regularly, but fun none the less.

University of Maryland: College Park, MD (off I-95)

Maybe best for the buck in the area. Well-maintained, slightly over 6200 yards. Greens in good condition. One drawback is it is heavily played.

Northwest: Wheaton/Silver Spring MD (off 4-95 or up 16th St)

Well run, maintained muni. Bring your driver, its long and wide open.

Hampshire Greens: Silver Spring, MD (Off I-295)

Maybe the best of the Maryland public courses in the DC vicinity. Challenging tight fairways and small greens. Leave the driver in the bag.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with you about Stonewall. I just had a chance to play it and liked it a lot.

Attached is a link to some photos I took (Jan 2008)

[url="http://sports.webshots.com/album/562063957rRcmCo"]http://sports.webshots.com/album/562063957rRcmCo[/url]

[post="0"]SA's Stonewall photos[/post]

I also like Augustine a lot. It's a little farhter drive from DC but it is beautiful and worth the trip.

In Maryland there are also a lot of great courses. Blue Mash is okay but my Maryland favorites ar Worthington Manor, Whiskey Creek, Musket Ridge, Bulle Rock and Beech Tree.

Here are a couple pix I took last week at Stonewall.

of course depending upon your budget and likes/dislikes... in no particular order...
whiskey creek up in md is completely fantastic everytime i've been there (3x)
love falls road in potomac md muni
quick 9 exec courses: jefferson or pinecrest in falls church & annandale virginias, respectfully jefferson is open, pinecrest is narrow
needwood in md is decent muni
herndon centennial is walkable 18 and nice folks.

The only consistently BAD BAD BAD don't go there ever ever ever is Reston national. always packed, always slow, always overpriced.

peter.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their posts.

I moved to Reston on the 1st of Jan so this list will be put to good use.

How are the courses up near Leesburg such as Goose Creek? I don't mind driving a few mins to save some dough and time. I'm going to have to put Stonewall on my must play list.

Chris

As the name implies I play at Northwest a lot - wide open and long, bring the driver and let it fly. Only drawback is it ins't always in the best condition (bunkers leave a lot to be desired), but a very good value. They are working hard to improve conditions and over the past 5 year it's come a long way to the point where in the summer it as good as any.

Hampshire Greens - also good value, more expensive but better conditions. The opposite of Northwest, tighter with more trouble and very sloped greens.

Musket Ridge and Whiskey Creek are great courses, but a little pricey and a longer drive for me.

Hidden Gem - Beechtree - only 1 or 2 steps below Bulle Rock and about half the price. Try it you'll like it.

Lots of good courses in Maryland, hard to find a bad one unless you go to Trotter's Glen - I'd rather work than play there.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Jeff -

Glad to be of help. Shoot me a pm when you get in town and we can meet up for 18 sometime.

Addendum: If you're coming to DC, Haynes Pt. is a must play. I'm not going to claim that it is the most perfectly groomed course in the world -- although they have made great improvements -- but, there is nothing comparable in any other major city. 3 courses: normal 18 holes (blue course), normal 9 holes (White course), and 9 hole par 3 (red course); a huge driving range; and 3 holes you can rent for an hour to practice on.

I love Whiskey Creek! It's a bit pricey but it is just awesome. Really great views on that one. I agree with Trotters, it isn't all that nice, but's the cheapest thing around. I have heard great things about Blue Mash but it's a little pricey as well. But with it being 20 minutes from home I should probably play it this year. Renditions is also just a cool course to play. I know that some players are not fans of playing courses that are copies of other venues, but that one is just fun to play and their staff is just excellent. They move you around the course, but they are nice about it. My current favorite is Redgate in Rockville. it is a seriously hilly course but it has some really good greens. The staff there is also on the nicer side. Hampshire greens is nice, but too tight in some spots. The Links At Challedon is another nice course in Mt. Airy MD. It's got a solid layout to it. A few of the par 4's are driveable. On concern about that course is the name that my friends and I call it, "The Balleater." It doesn't really matter how straight you are. You can hit the fairway and lose a ball there. I have no explanations for it, but I won't play a high end ball there, you just lose them.

Ping Rapture 14 Stiff Saishin (sp)
Ping Rapture 21 vs Proto Stiff
Ping Zing 4-SW Stiff
Ping Eye 2 Plus LW
Ping Cadence B65

You're reviews are very good and spot on: Allow me to mention a few in Maryland that weren't mentioned that I like.

Timbers at Troy: Elkridge/Columbia very convienent to I-95 and Route 100. For a county owned course it is generally in very good condition. The layout is great and while it's not a wide open track, it gives you a bit more room than may appear at frist glance. Price is very reasonable especially if you are a Howard County Resident and join their VIP Program. I played between 20 to 30 rounds there last year and enjoy it very much. Practice facility is above average, with grass range available from April to October. Huge putting green and small chipping green.

Waverly Woods: More upscale than Timbers but also carries the upscale price around $75 to $80 on weekends. Arthur Hills design, with wide fairways and huge greens, which are generally the best conditioned greens in the area. Also probably the best practice facility around along with Blue Mash (owned by the same comany)

Also to the poster who mentioned Beechtree, they hit on a winner there, My favorite course n the state of Maryland, and a price that is a great great value, mind you I didn't say cheap, but for the whole experience at Beechtree, get your money's worth.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

• 5 months later...
Do you guys know of a Driving range with grass tee boxes close to DC. PG/Montgomery county in MD. or Arlington/Alexandria VA?

Blue Mash in upper Mont. County has a huge grass range. Also a practice bunker and chipping area separate fromt the putting green. The new

course in PG County Lake Presidential has a grass range as well, but the course is in very bad shape now and not worth the price at this time.

Vokey

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Do you guys know of a Driving range with grass tee boxes close to DC. PG/Montgomery county in MD. or Arlington/Alexandria VA?

Blue Mash in upper Mont. County has a huge grass range. Also a practice bunker and chipping area separate fromt the putting green. The new

course in PG County Lake Presidential has a grass range as well, but the course is in very bad shape now and not worth the price at this time.

Olney Golf Park has a small grass range beside a long, double-deck matt area (the matts they've installed are far superior to the cement carpets at Haynes Point in DC). I think it's a $10 premium per hour to use the grass. Olney also has a nice little short game section and greens. It takes me 25 minutes up Connecticut from NW DC (except during rush-hour, which it's about an hour).

Anyone played Tantallon Golf Club in MD? As I posted in another thread, they are running a membership promotion of some sort and have piqued my curiosity.

Olney Golf Park has a small grass range beside a long, double-deck matt area (the matts they've installed are far superior to the cement carpets at Haynes Point in DC). I think it's a $10 premium per hour to use the grass. Olney also has a nice little short game section and greens. It takes me 25 minutes up Connecticut from NW DC (except during rush-hour, which it's about an hour).

Anyone played Tantallon Golf Club in MD? As I posted in another thread, they are running a membership promotion of some sort and have piqued my curiosity.

Olney Golf Park is not bad, the short game area is pretty neat. But for a full range session, I'd probably drive the extra 10 to 15 minutes to get to Blue Mash. But I guess when you've already drive 40 minutes or so the extra could be too much.

As for Tantallon, I haven't played it sine the renovation has been completed. I played it a lot about 3 years ago as the GM was a friend of mine. I've heard that they did a fantastic job with the renovation but haven't seen first hand. I've seen the special you're talking about. it would certainly be worth checking out. Especially since it is not that far from you in the district, just shoot straight down 295. If you do go, report back with the conditions.

Vokey

• 1 month later...

Beechtree is CLOSING.

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Beechtree is CLOSED! What a shame.

If you haven't seen it, there's an entire article devoted to this in the March issue of Golf Magazine, it was the last course Tom Doak played with his father before his passing. I'm afraid there could be others to have a similar fate within the next year.

Vokey

• 1 month later...

I work at Worthington Manor as a cart attendant, because of which I will not review the course. If anyone is golfing there, send me a PM. (Weekends or Mon-Fri after 3pm due to school)

I shot around 45 per 9 holes, and I am a sophomore in HS. Not putting up a personal ad, but dont want people expecting a 25 yr old, 5 handicapper.

I am not able to get you on for a discount though :(

I have posted some pictures I took myself, not ones taken by management while in perfect condition.

I work at Worthington Manor as a cart attendant, because of which I will not review the course. If anyone is golfing there, send me a PM. (Weekends or Mon-Fri after 3pm due to school)

I shot around 45 per 9 holes, and I am a sophomore in HS. Not putting up a personal ad, but dont want people expecting a 25 yr old, 5 handicapper.

I am not able to get you on for a discount though :(

I have posted some pictures I took myself, not ones taken by management while in perfect condition.

I have played 10 or so rounds at Worthington Manor. It is a nice course near Frederick MD. They offer a frequent player card for free (something like 8 rounds and the 9th is free). The course is challenging with generous fairways bordered by high grass. A little links style but some elevation changes. If you are in the area it is worth a look.

Played Worthington Manor last week, course was in fair condition. Surely didn't live up to the hype. Played Needwood (MoCo Muni) yesterday and it was in great shape. The greens were in 10x better shape then Worthington. I'll be playing Reston National today and have pretty high hope for it...We'll see.

I am going to have to agree about the greens, and yes I work there also :(. We get many golfers who apparently do not know how to use a divot tool, but since we know that I think that at least once a week someone (I wouldn't mind since it would improve conditions) should go around with a divot fixer we have (you push it down and it fixes the divot very quickly) and fix the divots on all of the greens. We had someone do that yesterday, and I am going to talk to the head pro or the head groundskeeper about my idea. I just have to figure out which one, I dont wanna go to HG and then have my boss think I went above him, or feel mad cause he is a great guy (As many of you probably know). But I also don't wanna go to my boss and have him say "Why are you telling me? Tell HG". Both of them are nice guys, and the HG came up to me while I was working on the range on my first day and introduced himself and is very nice.

Played Worthington Manor last week, course was in fair condition. Surely didn't live up to the hype. Played Needwood (MoCo Muni) yesterday and it was in great shape. The greens were in 10x better shape then Worthington. I'll be playing Reston National today and have pretty high hope for it...We'll see.

Did you have fun with the neighbors walking their dogs on the course, and the kids playing soccer on the tee boxes?

Did you have fun with the neighbors walking their dogs on the course, and the kids playing soccer on the tee boxes?

I play Worthington at least 4 to 5 times each year, and I've never seen that. Did you have a bad round or somethng :)

Vokey

I literally once missed a female jogger by 5 feet when I hit my drive on hole #2.

I don't have the highest of launch angles, so the ball was probably only 8 feet off the ground.

She came right up over the hill in the middle of the fairway as I made contact, the ball went screaming by her head, and she was completely oblivious because she had her headphones in. If I dotted her, I'd have laughed my a** off because that was easily one of the dumbest things I've ever seen anybody do. If she weren't Asian, I think I'd have killed her.

I would have not felt bad at all if SRIXON and their dimple pattern were permanently embossed on her forehead, as a sign of human idiocy.

@j_canales87