2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Golf in Yorkshire

Over the last thirteen years I've been working my way through every golf course in my native Yorkshire. My criteria as to what constitutes a course is 18 holes, minimum of 5305 yards (SSS 66 or over based on yardage). Using this criteria there are 159 courses, seven of which I still have to play but will be doing so during the remainder of this year.

I have ranked all the courses based on 60% course layout, 20% condition and 20% location.

To anyone who knows the area I'm sure it will come as no surprise that my top three were Ganton, Alwoodley and Moortown.

If anyone wants to see the full rankings or are thinking of visiting the area and want any info or advice, please get in touch.

From next year i'm widening my horizons to, Lincolnshire, Derbyshire and Greater Manchester so if anyone is a member of any courses in these areas and fancies a game please let me know.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you put Lindrick in there? Technically i think it is Yorkshire?

Strangley, although i come from Yorkshire i have played relatively little golf there, live in Hampshire now. I used to be a member of Hull GC and played a bit at Willow Valley nr Huddersfield and a lot at Bradley Park municipal when at Uni in Hudderfield.

Ping Anser 10.5 Reg
Ping G 5 Wood @ 18.5
Ping Rapture 2 Iron
Ping G30 hybrid 22 degree
Ping G30 hybrid 26 degree
Ping I20 6-UW. Silver dot, PX 5.5,
TM spider Ghost.
Ping Glide 1.0 54* SS. Silver dot.
Ping Gorge 60* SS. Yellow dot.

Strangley, although i come from Yorkshire i have played relatively little golf there, live in Hampshire now. I used to be a member of Hull GC and played a bit at Willow Valley nr Huddersfield and a lot at Bradley Park municipal when at Uni in Hudderfield.

Personally I don't think Lindrick is great. Relies too much on its reputation as a former Ryder Cup Venue, certainly top ten though. I'm at work at the mo so haven't got my rankings to hand but I think Lindrick was no. six or seven.

Funnily enough, although i'm a member at Fixby, I work at Willow Valley and live just across the road from Bradley Park.

Ganton and Alwoodley are about as fantastic as inland golf can get: not surprised :)

One of my most enjoyable golf travel experiences was playing Ganton a few years back. You're a lucky chap to have such courses in your backyard, so to speak.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I don't think Lindrick is great. Relies too much on its reputation as a former Ryder Cup Venue, certainly top ten though. I'm at work at the mo so haven't got my rankings to hand but I think Lindrick was no. six or seven.

Funnily enough, although i'm a member at Fixby, I work at Willow Valley and live just across the road from Bradley Park.

How good is Fixby? I never got a chance to play when at Uni, i wasnt that good then anyway. Played Woodsome Hall quite a few times, really like it. Enjoyed Crossland Health too.

Ping Anser 10.5 Reg
Ping G 5 Wood @ 18.5
Ping Rapture 2 Iron
Ping G30 hybrid 22 degree
Ping G30 hybrid 26 degree
Ping I20 6-UW. Silver dot, PX 5.5,
TM spider Ghost.
Ping Glide 1.0 54* SS. Silver dot.
Ping Gorge 60* SS. Yellow dot.

my parents are originally from Huddersfield. Been going to West Yorkshire as a child for ages. Finally thinking about taking the clubs next visit (early September) and trying to play 4-5 rounds and keep it under 300 quid

Through my research, Alwoodley and Moortown are 100% on my list. Also looking at Huddersfield, Ilkley, Sand Moor and Bingley St Ives. All golf would be done on a weekday. Also open to other suggestions, but would prefer not driving 90+ mins

4 questions. 1) is it easy to schedule Alwoodley/Moortown for one day so i can play a twilight rate at one of the tracks? 2) Can i expect any additional fees besides the greens fees listed on their sites? (seems too good to be true to be honest, but its prob the American in me not realizing how bad we have it ha) 3) Can you elaborate on the DAY FEES, is that just play as much as you want for that price?!?! 4) for September what can i expect for course conditions and weather conditions, not afraid of playing in the rain lol

my parents are originally from Huddersfield. Been going to West Yorkshire as a child for ages. Finally thinking about taking the clubs next visit (early September) and trying to play 4-5 rounds and keep it under 300 quid

Through my research, Alwoodley and Moortown are 100% on my list. Also looking at Huddersfield, Ilkley, Sand Moor and Bingley St Ives. All golf would be done on a weekday. Also open to other suggestions, but would prefer not driving 90+ mins

4 questions. 1) is it easy to schedule Alwoodley/Moortown for one day so i can play a twilight rate at one of the tracks? 2) Can i expect any additional fees besides the greens fees listed on their sites? (seems too good to be true to be honest, but its prob the American in me not realizing how bad we have it ha) 3) Can you elaborate on the DAY FEES, is that just play as much as you want for that price?!?! 4) for September what can i expect for course conditions and weather conditions, not afraid of playing in the rain lol

Weather wise in early September you're probably looking mid to high teens with a chance of better on a good day. Rain sadly is always a possibility.

Re your questios;

1. Alwoodley always do good twilight rates, Moortown not sure about but my suggestion would be Moortown during the day then Alwoodley after 4 if you're doing both the same day.

2. Fees should be as per website but remember most people walk in UK so price wont include a buggy.

3. Day fees are just that. Price per day irrespective of number of rounds.

4. Course conditions should be good in September.

If you are playing at Huddersfield GC, I'm a member so if you fancy a game let me know.

• 3 months later...

As a part-time Yorkshireman, it would be interesting to see your course ratings.

I'm a Marsden member, which I know doesn't fit your criteria but got to say the greens this year have been the best I have seen. (been a member for 4years). Fixby is my closest course as well, do you think they will be doing the winter opens on Friday again this year as I missed out last time.

So originally a Manchester chap, Fairfield Golf Club currently home to Pep that other time from Manchester manager, was my junior course and Brookdale was my intimidate course before exams and cricket took over.......both well worth a visit, but I would say that personally, I prefer Brookdales course.

• 2 weeks later...

Ganton is my absolute go to Yorkshire course. I'm playing over in Wakefield these days, but for a trip out nothing beats Ganton year round.

If you're looking to broaden your horizons, Cavendish in Derbyshire might be one of the best I've played - short course designed to really get you thinking!

Cavendish is certainly on the cards. Supposedly Mackenzie's blueprint for Augusta.

• 2 months later...

OK so fly in to Manchester for a week's golf?

Without playing the Royals, which 6 or 7 courses within a few hours would you play ?

Ganton, Alwoodley, Moortown, Woodhall Spa, Cavendish, Manchester GC ?

Is St Annes worth a trip? Windermere? Seaton Carew?

Very interesting part of the UK.

Of the ones you've mentioned I would say Seaton Carew is quite a long way North compared to the others so plenty good courses without travelling so far out. Windermere is only just over 5000 yards so only a short course. St Annes has 4 courses; Royal Lytham & St Annes, St Annes Old Links, Fairhaven and Lytham Green Drive all very good with the possible exception of Green Drive.

Just North of Leeds you have Moortown, Alwoodley, Sand Moor and Moor Allerton (27 holes) all good courses within 10 minutes drive of each other.

Hope this helps.

OK so fly in to Manchester for a week's golf?

Without playing the Royals, which 6 or 7 courses within a few hours would you play ?

Ganton, Alwoodley, Moortown, Woodhall Spa, Cavendish, Manchester GC ?

Is St Annes worth a trip? Windermere? Seaton Carew?

Very interesting part of the UK.

Of the ones you've mentioned I would say Seaton Carew is quite a long way North compared to the others so plenty good courses without travelling so far out. Windermere is only just over 5000 yards so only a short course. St Annes has 4 courses; Royal Lytham & St Annes, St Annes Old Links, Fairhaven and Lytham Green Drive all very good with the possible exception of Green Drive.

Just North of Leeds you have Moortown, Alwoodley, Sand Moor and Moor Allerton (27 holes) all good courses within 10 minutes drive of each other.

Hope this helps.

Alwoodley and Ganton are awesome! I'd definitely make an effort to play them both, as fine a pair of inland courses as you'll find.

I wanted to play Formby GC my last time through but couldn't fit it in, I'd have that on the radar too, and West Lancs is just down the road for a 36 hole day.

If you didn't mind a bit of a drive - and could also fit in the wonderful Lake District too - I'd highly recommend Silloth-on-Solway GC. Any other part of the country and it'd be brought up loads.

I'm heading back for a couple weeks this May/June and conspiring to fit that into my travels again.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Ganton is my absolute go to Yorkshire course. I'm playing over in Wakefield these days, but for a trip out nothing beats Ganton year round.

If you're looking to broaden your horizons, Cavendish in Derbyshire might be one of the best I've played - short course designed to really get you thinking!

Great course Cavendish .

Agree on the Lindrick critique, much over rated.

Ive played Bradley pk a few times. Im a near neighbour at Thorpe Hesley. I play at Grange park rotherham. Would like to see your list.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For those mentioning Manchester, am happy to host at either of my courses if you are interested.

Also play the NW coast fairly regularly if you have any questions or need any help with anything

How does Manchester GC handle the weather relative to other courses in Lancashire, Cheshire, Yorkshire?

Figured I'd be rolling through both on my way back from Scotland in May/June and would likely play a heathland/links/moorland course while there.

I'm already planning on Ganton and Cleveland while over in the North York Moors on the way up, but there are so many options between Leeds and the Wirral too :)

F.T.

Ive played Bradley pk a few times. Im a near neighbour at Thorpe Hesley. I play at Grange park rotherham. Would like to see your list.

Sorry for the delay in replying. Grange Park comes in at 119. I'll try and post my complete rankings.

For those who are interested here is my complete list of rankings;

Yorkshire Combined Rankings

Ganton

Alwoodley

Moortown

Fulford

Styrrup Hall G&CC

Hallamshire

Hornsea

Lindrick

Pannal

Shipley

Moor Allerton - Blackmoor

Sand Moor

Hessle

Ilkley

York

Cleveland

Moor Allerton - High

Selby

Oakdale

Middlesbrough

Cookridge Hall

Huddersfield

Howley Hall

Wetherby

Moor Allerton - Lakes

Wheatley

Abbeydale

Doncaster

Easingwold

Wortley

Sitwell Park

Hull

Filey

Scarborough North Cliff

Romanby

Dore & Totley

Bradford

Bingley St. Ives

Dewsbury & District

Bridlington Links

Knaresborough

Hillsborough

The Oaks

Hollins Hall

Leeds

Bawtry

Silkstone

Woodsome Hall

Scarcroft

Scarborough South Cliff

Renishaw Park

Hallowes

Waterton Park

Oulton Hall 1-18 (The Park)

Rother Valley

Cottingham

Wath

Rotherham (Thrybergh)

Boothferry

Bridlington

Brough

Hickleton

Driffield

Keighley

Temple Newsam 1

Temple Newsam 2

Forest of Galtres

Flaxby Park

Headingley

Sandburn Hall

Burstwick

Skipton

Oulton Hall 1- 9, 18 - 27

Malton & Norton (Derwent)

Oulton Hall 10 - 27

Harrogate

Baildon

Thirsk & Northallerton

South Leeds

Wakefield

The Manor

Malton & Norton (Welham)

Crosland Heath

Cleckheaton

Halifax

Catterick

Malton & Norton (Park)

Woodhall Hills

Meltham

Garforth

Horsforth

Willow Valley

Forest Park

Ganstead Park

The KP Club

Flambrough Head

Ripon City

Tankersley Park

Far Grange

Kingswood Golf Centre

Owston Hall

Otley

Hunley Hall - Morgan’s

Pontefract & District

Tinsley Park

Roundwood

Wilton

Rudding Park

Richmond

Wooley Park

Northcliffe

Mid Yorkshire

Teeside

Saltburn by the Sea

Phoenix

Hainsworth Park

Thornhurst Park

Lees Hall

Grange Park

Bentham

Hunley Hall - Imperial

Hunley Hall - Jubilee

Hunley Hall - Millennium

Cave Castle

Pike Hills

Low Laithes

Kirbymoorside

Bradley Park

West Bowling

Leeds Golf Centre (Wyke Ridge)

Normanton

Outlane

Bedale

Spofforth

Whitby

Sandhill

Doncaster Town Moor

Scarthingwell

Barnsley

Bracken Ghyll

Halifax (Bradley Hall)

Springhead Park

City of Wakefield

Sutton Park

Beverley & East Riding

West End

West Bradford

Beauchief

Branshaw

Calverley

Lofthouse Hill

Aldwark Manor

Middlesbrough Municipal

Birley Wood

Crookhill Park

Scalm Park

Thanks for including the list, although sometimes a screenshot or a link to a Google sheet works better ;)

Surprised to see Halifax sooooo low down. Was it the constant traipsing up and around hills? Thought it looked interesting from what I've read/watched.

F.T.

Thanks for including the list, although sometimes a screenshot or a link to a Google sheet works better ;)

Surprised to see Halifax sooooo low down. Was it the constant traipsing up and around hills? Thought it looked interesting from what I've read/watched.

Yes, I’m no techie and the list as I’ve copied and pasted it doesn’t look great but the info is there.

Halifax is certainly an interesting course, pretty much gradually uphill for the first sixteen holes then the par three seventeenth drops off the face of the earth. I’ve hit everything from people to four iron on there.

My sister and her husband moved up to Yorkshire (Cottingham near Hull) a few years ago. They joined Hessle and love it. I’ve been over a few times to see them and always try to get a round out there. Fun course with some very good par 4s and all the members I met were great. Surprised to see it so high up your rankings though and would be interested in what you like about the course.

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

My sister and her husband moved up to Yorkshire (Cottingham near Hull) a few years ago. They joined Hessle and love it. I’ve been over a few times to see them and always try to get a round out there. Fun course with some very good par 4s and all the members I met were great. Surprised to see it so high up your rankings though and would be interested in what you like about the course.

Its not a world beater by any means but is a very fair course with no "Mickey Mouse" holes, well designed, in good condition and in a nice area. Interestingly on the day I played with a pro from where I work, who had the round of his life and shot 5 under par.

Sorry for the delay in replying. Grange Park comes in at 119. I'll try and post my complete rankings.

Ganton

Alwoodley

Moortown

Fulford

Styrrup Hall G&CC

Hallamshire

Hornsea

Lindrick

Pannal

Shipley

Sand Moor

Hessle

Ilkley

York

Cleveland

Moor Allerton - High

Selby

Oakdale

Middlesbrough

Cookridge Hall

Huddersfield

Howley Hall

Wetherby

Moor Allerton - Lakes

Wheatley

Abbeydale

Doncaster

Easingwold

Wortley

Sitwell Park

Hull

Filey

Scarborough North Cliff

Romanby

Dore & Totley

Bradford

Bingley St. Ives

Dewsbury & District

Bridlington Links

Knaresborough

Hillsborough

The Oaks

Hollins Hall

Leeds

Bawtry

Silkstone

Woodsome Hall

Scarcroft

Scarborough South Cliff

Renishaw Park

Hallowes

Waterton Park

Rother Valley

Cottingham

Wath

Rotherham (Thrybergh)

Boothferry

Bridlington

Brough

Hickleton

Driffield

Keighley

Temple Newsam 1

Temple Newsam 2

Forest of Galtres

Flaxby Park

Headingley

Sandburn Hall

Burstwick

Skipton

Oulton Hall 10 - 27

Harrogate

Baildon

Thirsk & Northallerton

South Leeds

Wakefield

The Manor

Malton & Norton (Welham)

Crosland Heath

Cleckheaton

Halifax

Catterick

Malton & Norton (Park)

Woodhall Hills

Meltham

Garforth

Horsforth

Willow Valley

Forest Park

Ganstead Park

The KP Club

Flambrough Head

Ripon City

Tankersley Park

Far Grange

Kingswood Golf Centre

Owston Hall

Otley

Hunley Hall - Morgan’s

Pontefract & District

Tinsley Park

Roundwood

Wilton

Rudding Park

Richmond

Wooley Park

Northcliffe

Mid Yorkshire

Teeside

Saltburn by the Sea

Phoenix

Hainsworth Park

Thornhurst Park

Lees Hall

Grange Park

Bentham

Hunley Hall - Imperial

Hunley Hall - Jubilee

Hunley Hall - Millennium

Cave Castle

Pike Hills

Low Laithes

Kirbymoorside

Bradley Park

West Bowling

Normanton

Outlane

Bedale

Spofforth

Whitby

Sandhill

Doncaster Town Moor

Scarthingwell

Barnsley

Bracken Ghyll

Halifax (Bradley Hall)

Springhead Park

City of Wakefield

Sutton Park

Beverley & East Riding

West End

West Bradford

Beauchief

Branshaw

Calverley

Lofthouse Hill

Aldwark Manor

Middlesbrough Municipal

Birley Wood

Crookhill Park

Scalm Park

I dont know the criteria for your list. I am assuming it not just based on the layout, how good a test and variety of play. Nobody I know, and I know people who have been members of each of the clubs im about to mention, would put their course above The Grange.

Baildon, wath, Tankersley, phoenix, thrybrough, doncaster, Tinsley, Hillsborough. Wheatley. As for the positions of Silkstone, Rother valley, Roundwood and Hickleton, I know youre having a laugh. There must be heavily weighted, non golfing criteria to get to this list.

there are some weird rankings going on in that list! but i sopose out off 10 people you would get 10 different lists.

but anyways im a member at selby golf club if anyone ever wants a game!

Selby at 19, you cant grumble at that surely.

It is difficult to be objective with so many courses as many are much of a muchness. I suppose if id used a five star rating the 1-3 would be 5*, 4-18 would be 4*, 19-130 would be 3*, 130 -148 would be 2* and the rest 1*.

Ganton

Alwoodley

Moortown

Fulford

Styrrup Hall G&CC

Hallamshire

Hornsea

Lindrick

Pannal

Shipley

Sand Moor

Hessle

Ilkley

York

Cleveland

Moor Allerton - High

Selby

Oakdale

Middlesbrough

Cookridge Hall

Huddersfield

Howley Hall

Wetherby

Moor Allerton - Lakes

Wheatley

Abbeydale

Doncaster

Easingwold

Wortley

Sitwell Park

Hull

Filey

Scarborough North Cliff

Romanby

Dore & Totley

Bradford

Bingley St. Ives

Dewsbury & District

Bridlington Links

Knaresborough

Hillsborough

The Oaks

Hollins Hall

Leeds

Bawtry

Silkstone

Woodsome Hall

Scarcroft

Scarborough South Cliff

Renishaw Park

Hallowes

Waterton Park

Rother Valley

Cottingham

Wath

Rotherham (Thrybergh)

Boothferry

Bridlington

Brough

Hickleton

Driffield

Keighley

Temple Newsam 1

Temple Newsam 2

Forest of Galtres

Flaxby Park

Headingley

Sandburn Hall

Burstwick

Skipton

Oulton Hall 10 - 27

Harrogate

Baildon

Thirsk & Northallerton

South Leeds

Wakefield

The Manor

Malton & Norton (Welham)

Crosland Heath

Cleckheaton

Halifax

Catterick

Malton & Norton (Park)

Woodhall Hills

Meltham

Garforth

Horsforth

Willow Valley

Forest Park

Ganstead Park

The KP Club

Flambrough Head

Ripon City

Tankersley Park

Far Grange

Kingswood Golf Centre

Owston Hall

Otley

Hunley Hall - Morgan's

Pontefract & District

Tinsley Park

Roundwood

Wilton

Rudding Park

Richmond

Wooley Park

Northcliffe

Mid Yorkshire

Teeside

Saltburn by the Sea

Phoenix

Hainsworth Park

Thornhurst Park

Lees Hall

Grange Park

Bentham

Hunley Hall - Imperial

Hunley Hall - Jubilee

Hunley Hall - Millennium

Cave Castle

Pike Hills

Low Laithes

Kirbymoorside

Bradley Park

West Bowling

Normanton

Outlane

Bedale

Spofforth

Whitby

Sandhill

Doncaster Town Moor

Scarthingwell

Barnsley

Bracken Ghyll

Halifax (Bradley Hall)

Springhead Park

City of Wakefield

Sutton Park

Beverley & East Riding

West End

West Bradford

Beauchief

Branshaw

Calverley

Lofthouse Hill

Aldwark Manor

Middlesbrough Municipal

Birley Wood

Crookhill Park

Scalm Park

I dont know the criteria for your list. I am assuming it not just based on the layout, how good a test and variety of play. Nobody I know, and I know people who have been members of each of the clubs im about to mention, would put their course above The Grange.

Baildon, wath, Tankersley, phoenix, thrybrough, doncaster, Tinsley, Hillsborough. Wheatley. As for the positions of Silkstone, Rother valley, Roundwood and Hickleton, I know youre having a laugh. There must be heavily weighted, non golfing criteria to get to this list.

My criteria is 60% layout, 20% condition, 20% location. Bacon sandwiches, whilst appreciated, DO NOT contribute towards the rankings.

Obviously everyone is fiercely patriotic toward their own course!

there are some weird rankings going on in that list! but i sopose out off 10 people you would get 10 different lists.

but anyways im a member at selby golf club if anyone ever wants a game!

Selby at 19, you cant grumble at that surely.

It is difficult to be objective with so many courses as many are much of a muchness. I suppose if id used a five star rating the 1-3 would be 5*, 4-18 would be 4*, 19-130 would be 3*, 130 -148 would be 2* and the rest 1*.

its surprisingly higher than what id put it at to be honest!

Callaway Xr 16 10.5
Ping Rapture 3w
PXG 0311 xf gen 2 3,4 iron
PXG 0311 P gen 2 5-PW
Cobra PUR 50, 54, 60
Ping Nome TR