2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Going back Old School a bag for all seasons

I have been messing around with those more modern Callys in my signature for a year or so and still mess with the vintage stuff too. I have had this happen for a little while now for some reason I will lose my fell with those irons and generally they have always felt good to me. I am puzzled because the metal woods are ok in fact I was flat cooking the 3 wood yesterday. Wedges were great in fact the wedges and putter somewhat saved my bacon or that awful round of 81 could have maybe been a 90 or worse. Pulled the old 80 Vips out the worn out ones with lead tape and all. Now it was raining so I went up the street and hit at the tourist trap mecca because they have a shelter. Man the old clubs felt good and hit good. The thing is that they have set a year but they sure felt good. I had let some of the guys talk me into going more modern and do not know why but I am back vintage forged blades lead tape and all. I sorta went screwey retro. My metal woods are the same the hybrid is the same but I have the old irons in now. Even though my mini staff Titleist bag is sorta retro it can be bulky and I do not like the modern stand bags when riding. Went to the building and found an old Power Bilt orange bag that is somewhat between a mini staff and a modern carry bag. I remember I bought that thing at GW for $2.99 a couple of years back. I will play the old dependables for a bit to see. I also have a set of pristine VIPs that Mitchell graciously sent me a year ago but the shafts are Brunswick 7.0s which are too stiff for me now. I had intended to reshaft them but had put that project on the back burner. It is now back on and I will find me a set of R shafts I can soft tip. I also have the set of pristine Muirfields that I need to reshaft too. I may soft step the S-300s in those. But I have came back from the dark side and am never going back and absolutely will not ever let anyone else talk me in to playing anything else again. Ha HA look like an old muni hack again with mis matched head covers and a old bag with rusty clubs.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big Stu, There is SO MUCH to like with your OP! Well, except for "cooking the 3-wood" because that's one thing I don't do well.

So spot on with the comment about how our wedge play and putts can save our bacon. Old clubs feeling good, etc. I would much rather carry or ride with a mini staff bag rather than one of those

gosh-awful stand bags! Then you bring up the Power Bilt orange bag! I never owned one but from a distance they were the coolest thing ever on the course! Fact is I made reference to one of those

old orange bags in a trivia discussion with a golfing buddy not too long ago (he failed to guess what I was hinting at by the way).

Also I never owned the Murifields, let alone in pristine condition, but what beauties they were/are to have.

Speaking of "old muni hacks" you should see the sad condition of my 8.5-inch Hogan staff bag. Zippers in bad shape etc!

Keep rocking!

No old muni hack, STU; you are a BAAAAAAAD man!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Big Stu, There is SO MUCH to like with your OP! Well, except for "cooking the 3-wood" because that's one thing I don't do well.

So spot on with the comment about how our wedge play and putts can save our bacon. Old clubs feeling good, etc. I would much rather carry or ride with a mini staff bag rather than one of those

gosh-awful stand bags! Then you bring up the Power Bilt orange bag! I never owned one but from a distance they were the coolest thing ever on the course! Fact is I made reference to one of those

old orange bags in a trivia discussion with a golfing buddy not too long ago (he failed to guess what I was hinting at by the way).

Also I never owned the Murifields, let alone in pristine condition, but what beauties they were/are to have.

Speaking of "old muni hacks" you should see the sad condition of my 8.5-inch Hogan staff bag. Zippers in bad shape etc!

Keep rocking!

Thanks man. That 3 wood I have to bet you can hit it because it is easy to hit. Easiest 3 wood I have ever seen. I did a trade deal several years ago for those Muirfields along with a fully restored set of 59 Mac FC-4000s. Sadly the FCs lost the ceramic faces in the re chrome process but they still hit great. I ended up trading them to my buddy Bear in one of our deals but they are in good hands with him. The Muirfields I heard 2 different stories on I heard they had never been hit and then I heard they had been restored. Mine are not the 20th models and there are some differences. Mine have the same muscle and sit like a VIP at address but the toe is a slight bit more rounded. Mine have what we think are S-300 shafts because they are not as stiff as a set of Brunswick 7.0s. I have played them some but the shafts are a little stiff for me. Since I am now carrying a hybrid and a 5 wood I do not hit the real long irons much even though I still can. I am thinking about doing the switch and doing the soft tipping thing one time.

Since you are old school and a Hogan man the Power Bilt bag is like a old Hogan Sun Jet on Steroids. It is the same size but a little more stouter. Man I do not know how we carried those things in high school and amateur play. I do walk some in the fall,winter and spring and I have a couple of modern stand bags and a Sunday bag. When riding those things are a hassle because the bag drop guys tend to squeeze them too tight and then if they are loose they rattle all over the place and the clubs tend to tangle and hang. We had a discussion on another thread the other night about what folks carry in their bag. I do not carry a whole lot even in a mini staff. LOL made the true statement that I only carried 6 balls. If I need more than 6 balls during a round then I am doing one or two things go to the range or go home In all honestly it will more than likely be the last one. My buddy Eilidon (Mike) from Texas used to be on here and played on the PGA Tour in the 70s sent me pics of his 3 Hogan Staff bags 2 of them he played on the Tour. He still plays the same Hogan irons he played on the tour. A long time ago I had one of my old man's Hogan Staff bags he was briefly on the Hogan staff before he switched to Ram. That darn thing was heavy but well built. I have a lot of vintage Burton bags and all of them are well built including the 2 Ryder cup bags I have. Yep I like old staff bags or old bags in general

Ha HA I do relish in the hillbilly low key look with my old rusty pick up truck, my floppy Kangroll hat and now big cigar. A buddy of mine got me smoking those on the course and I enjoy them. I had that orange bag for a couple of years and forgot about it. That ought to blow the prim and proper tourist crowds minds. Half of them do not know anything about Power Bilt

Ha HA I do relish in the hillbilly low key look with my old rusty pick up truck, my floppy Kangroll hat and now big cigar. A buddy of mine got me smoking those on the course and I enjoy them. I had that orange bag for a couple of years and forgot about it. That ought to blow the prim and proper tourist crowds minds. Half of them do not know anything about Power Bilt

Big Stu, Can you imagine if we got you "prim and proper" with one of those old PowerBilt orange bags and filled it with Scotch Blade irons? I can almost see you dragging them out of your pickup, chomping on a cigar, and heading for the first tee looking for a few pigeons LOL. Something tells me you could stripe those Scotch Blades just fine :D That was one club I never had enough guts to

seek out.

Big Stu, Can you imagine if we got you "prim and proper" with one of those old PowerBilt orange bags and filled it with Scotch Blade irons? I can almost see you dragging them out of your pickup, chomping on a cigar, and heading for the first tee looking for a few pigeons LOL. Something tells me you could stripe those Scotch Blades just fine :D That was one club I never had enough guts to

seek out.

Actually had a pristine set of those a few years back got them at an estate sale never hit still in the box 2 thru PW with the black #3 shaft bands. Horse Shoe grips were rotted off. Regripped and played a few rounds. Ended up giving them to my buddy the local Miura dealer. He has them on display in his shop. I did play with a set of 66 Horse Shoe Citations from around 80 or so until 90 when I got my VIPs. I wore those 66s slap out The 8 ,9 and PW had no grooves left. I did a trade deal for those traded a set of 66 Spalding Elite 333 customs for them. Do not know the pedigree on those irons but I believe they were a custom grind sole because the sole was simular to a Scotch Blade but just like any Mac blade. I have seen a lot of 66 and 67 Horse Shoe Citations but never ever a set like those with that sole grind. believe it or not still my all time favorite set of irons

LOL do not know about fleecing the pigeons any more a buddy of mine steamrolled me yesterday. Threw a 69 (-3) on my butt. But it was not much 5 bets at $5 each match play. Like I stated my wedges and half Word not alloweded putting kept it from really being nasty. Funny thing is he is 4 years older than I am and we are from the same place. LOl I used to beat him like a drum back in the day. Yeah a 69 to an 81 that is getting blasted

seek out.

Actually had a pristine set of those a few years back got them at an estate sale never hit still in the box 2 thru PW with the black #3 shaft bands. Horse Shoe grips were rotted off. Regripped and played a few rounds. Ended up giving them to my buddy the local Miura dealer. He has them on display in his shop. I did play with a set of 66 Horse Shoe Citations from around 80 or so until 90 when I got my VIPs. I wore those 66s slap out The 8 ,9 and PW had no grooves left. I did a trade deal for those traded a set of 66 Spalding Elite 333 customs for them. Do not know the pedigree on those irons but I believe they were a custom grind sole because the sole was simular to a Scotch Blade but just like any Mac blade. I have seen a lot of 66 and 67 Horse Shoe Citations but never ever a set like those with that sole grind. believe it or not still my all time favorite set of irons

The Horse Shoe citations were my first serious set of irons. I really didn't know anything about them as I was just a kid in high school looking for a set of irons and I hated the look of Pings at the time LOL. I'd go into the Pro Shop at Holmes Golf Course in Lincoln and the shiny forged irons would always catch my eye. Clubs like Wilson Staff X-31s, Titleist and First Flight were on the racks just begging for attention in my mind.

Forged I just thought about it I have a Scotch Blade 1 iron in the building across the road. If I remember correctly that thing is a beast with a X-1000 in it. Someone in the 80s gave it to me when I was still gaming either the Tourney Custom 1 iron or the Ping Karsten 1 1 iron (I still have both of them too!). I was at a range in Charlotte the guy told me if I could hit it I could have it. And heck no I am not even going to attempt to hit it now with that shaft. Actually that thing was a beast back in the day when I could still swing a club and I never front line gamed it

Forged I just thought about it I have a Scotch Blade 1 iron in the building across the road. If I remember correctly that thing is a beast with a X-1000 in it. Someone in the 80s gave it to me when I was still gaming either the Tourney Custom 1 iron or the Ping Karsten 1 1 iron (I still have both of them too!). I was at a range in Charlotte the guy told me if I could hit it I could have it. And heck no I am not even going to attempt to hit it now with that shaft. Actually that thing was a beast back in the day when I could still swing a club and I never front line gamed it

OMG never saw one of those bad boys. I can't imagine even trying to get that thing airborne LOL. Maybe we could talk Fuzzy into launching a couple with it? I'd have to turn my head when he'd

line it up on the heel LOL. Fuzzy actually engaged me and my buddy with a few words while heading to the range at the Principal Charity Classic in Des Moines in June. It was right before the final round on Sunday. Seemed like a really cool guy. His caddie, on the other hand, gave us the evil eye.

I want to try those Brunswick 7.0's and that X-1000. Lol.

Juice seriosly no joke You can have the 1 iron and when I pull the 7.0s you can have them too. But well you can come up and hit the 1 iron and then take it back with you

Juice seriosly no joke You can have the 1 iron and when I pull the 7.0s you can have them too. But well you can come up and hit the 1 iron and then take it back with you

That would be great friend. I hope to make a short trip your way in September. Until then, it is work work work, and hanging out on WRX wishing I was golfing instead. lol.

Stu,

Does my heart good to hear that the Mac project is back on front burner��

Heck you knew it would always be so. Actually they were not forgotten. I took them out a couple of rounds like they were. I cleaned and roughed up the grips some and they were playable. They actually have been on display in my living room in my Mac Mini staff bag along with the pristine Penna Driver and some pristine Izett woods

That would be great friend. I hope to make a short trip your way in September. Until then, it is work work work, and hanging out on WRX wishing I was golfing instead. lol.

Well come on I am on vacation Labor Day week and we are not going anywhere. But seriously when I pull the 7.0s you can have them free. They are good shafts I just do not have enough lead in my old pencil to swing them any more. And you can also have the Scotch Blade 1 iron too free. Worse come to worse I will send them to you

If you guys figure out a day that week I will take it off and drive up.

Ok that I will do. Even if Juice does not make it I would certainally like to tee it up with you. I do know I have a eye appointment that week to get new driving glasses. I am supposed to play today with the "Mafia" group if it does not rain us out. And yes once again the VIPs will be in the front line bag