2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Rockwall courses

Chris_NH

I've just relocated from New England to Rockwall TX (aka: sold my snowblower in favor of a 12-month golf season - woo hoo!). Life has been crazy enough that I haven't made it out to play yet, but there are two courses I'd like to get opinions on:

Buffalo Creek - I've read some things here on this board, but nothing recently. This sounds like a solid course and will likely be the first one I try. Interested in any recent opinions on the course, conditioning, etc.

Rockwall Golf & Athletic Club - private club but pretty short money. I'm not looking to join in the immediate future but, since it's 5 minutes from my house, I'd love to hear comments about it.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i live in Greenville, just about 25 mins down the road from ya! Welcome to Texas.

Let's start with Buffalo Creek. I like the course. It's always in "pretty good" condition. There is one knock on it though....it's packed almost EVERY SINGLE WEEKEND..... There are 3 courses around here that do something called "the players club". it's basically where you pay a monthly fee and then you only pay cart fees after twilight. it's actually a decent deal if you like playing towards the end of the day. In the summers....I don't recommend that.. :superman: oh, and they do not allow walkers if you walk.

RGAC- really nice course...super super tough. don't let the "private" title fool you. Last I heard a couple of months ago, you could call and ask to play and they would find you a time to play......while charging $85. NOW...that being said, the cost they are charging isn't bad. I was told by the manager at the beginning of the year it was $3k initiation and $220 a month and that includes driving range AND CARTS!!!

Lastly there is a brand new club being built in Heath called the "Heath Golf and Yacht Club". People say there will be some breathtaking holes on the lake.

There are TONS AND TONS courses within 30 mins of where you are at...if you would like any other info let me know!

Crashhays is right about Buffalo Creek. Have played it twice in the last year with my brother-in-law and pace of play is really bad due to how packed the course is.

And, regarding the Players Club he mentioned, my BIL is a member and he can play anytime he wants not just after twilight. That's part of the reason it's always packed.

Thank you for the comments guys - looking forward to getting out and playing.

I had read about the players club (actually, quite the deal on the driving range if you're anything of a range rat). One question - since the cheap rates are not prime weekend morning times, does it tend to have a bit better pace on Sat/Sun mornings - or is it just crowded and a little slow all the time?

I had read about the players club (actually, quite the deal on the driving range if you're anything of a range rat). One question - since the cheap rates are not prime weekend morning times, does it tend to have a bit better pace on Sat/Sun mornings - or is it just crowded and a little slow all the time?

Chris, I have found Buffalo Creek to be crowded all day every day for the most part.

Chris, I have found Buffalo Creek to be crowded all day every day for the most part.

Thanks. I'm playing tomorrow at 6:45am - hopefully that early start will translate into a reasonable pace round.

Thanks. I'm playing tomorrow at 6:45am - hopefully that early start will translate into a reasonable pace round.

Yep. That early of a tee time will have you first off the box! Enjoy and let me know what you think.

If you ever want to make a trip one Saturday or Sunday google golflakefork.com. I'm a member there. Just under 90 mins from Rockwall. You are more than welcome to join me for a round and just pay guest fees.

Yep. That early of a tee time will have you first off the box! Enjoy and let me know what you think.

If you ever want to make a trip one Saturday or Sunday google golflakefork.com. I'm a member there. Just under 90 mins from Rockwall. You are more than welcome to join me for a round and just pay guest fees.

That looks like a stunning course. Thank you for the invite and I'll certainly try to take you up on it. The drive isn't a problem at all, but my wife and I watch our 2-yo grandson each weekend so leaving her solo for an extended period of time is something I try not to do. But if it's ok, I'll keep your generous offer in mind and let you know if I have a day where my time is a bit less constrained.

I played Buffalo Creek this morning. Two hours and fifty minutes - pretty good pace of play ;-) I was in the first group but by the time I got near the tee box they were already driving away from the first tee, having teed off as a threesome a bit ahead of our tee time. I waited a few minutes then played as a single (with the blessing of the pro shop). I tried to join them on the 4th tee, but they insisted they didn't want to slow me down so I played through and just played as a single all morning.

I like the course. I'd give it a solid 7 out of 10. My only real complaint is the condition of the bunkers. For lack of a better term, it's a very "dirty sand" in them and, in many cases, there was insufficient sand in them as well. But it didn't really affect my enjoyment of the course. I'll be back, and try to play a bit later so that I can begin to meet some other people in the area.

That looks like a stunning course. Thank you for the invite and I'll certainly try to take you up on it. The drive isn't a problem at all, but my wife and I watch our 2-yo grandson each weekend so leaving her solo for an extended period of time is something I try not to do. But if it's ok, I'll keep your generous offer in mind and let you know if I have a day where my time is a bit less constrained.

I played Buffalo Creek this morning. Two hours and fifty minutes - pretty good pace of play ;-) I was in the first group but by the time I got near the tee box they were already driving away from the first tee, having teed off as a threesome a bit ahead of our tee time. I waited a few minutes then played as a single (with the blessing of the pro shop). I tried to join them on the 4th tee, but they insisted they didn't want to slow me down so I played through and just played as a single all morning.

I like the course. I'd give it a solid 7 out of 10. My only real complaint is the condition of the bunkers. For lack of a better term, it's a very "dirty sand" in them and, in many cases, there was insufficient sand in them as well. But it didn't really affect my enjoyment of the course. I'll be back, and try to play a bit later so that I can begin to meet some other people in the area.

Yea, just let me know whenever. Shoot, I sometimes take a half day at work to get in 18 holes. So just let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Glad you liked that course! I haven't played there in a year or so, so I don't remember how the bunkers were. You must be living right if a group let you through! ;-)

There are a ton of people that play there on a regular basis so you shouldn't have any problems meeting up with people!

-Hays

Glad you enjoyed the round. As for the bunkers, welcome to North Texas. It's fairly common at many courses. Fortunately a good number of clubs redid their bunkers over the past few years but those that didn't can be a bit rough, especially after storms.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update, for anybody who lives in the area and might care. I played my second round at Buffalo Creek today. The course grows on you and, despite shooting 7 strokes worse than my first round there, I am enjoying the course immensely. One thing I like is that they allow singles to make tee times (not many courses in New England allowed that) so I'm able to book an early tee time. As a result, I played with two others and we were the 2nd group off the tee (7:12 tee time). We finished by 11am, and probably would have finished 10-15 minutes if we hadn't waited a few times for the group in front of us.

Just an update, for anybody who lives in the area and might care. I played my second round at Buffalo Creek today. The course grows on you and, despite shooting 7 strokes worse than my first round there, I am enjoying the course immensely. One thing I like is that they allow singles to make tee times (not many courses in New England allowed that) so I'm able to book an early tee time. As a result, I played with two others and we were the 2nd group off the tee (7:12 tee time). We finished by 11am, and probably would have finished 10-15 minutes if we hadn't waited a few times for the group in front of us.

Glad you are able to get out there early! That's the best time for that course!