Bandon Trip Report Feb 19-24th (first time visiting)

ben w

First time visitor to Bandon, here is my report:

Went as a single, with my wife in tow. She is a non-golfer who walked with me once at Bandon on the prettiest weather day, and other days she would walk/hike/explore the surrounding area such as Coos Bay and Bandon Old Town. She is the kind who enjoys solitude, nature, resting, and doesn't need big social events to have fun so it was perfect.

The trip got off to a bad start when United canceled our flight from San Francisco to Eugene. We had two choices, stay overnight in SF and fly out the next morning late, or rent a car and drive. I was determined to not miss any golf so we rented a car and off we went. Unfortunately due to United being a cluster****, we didn't make it out of SF until 3:30PM and rolled into BD just after 1:00AM. Making a potential mistake, we chose to drive up 101 vs Hwy 5 as it was shown on google maps to be within a 10 minute time difference and we thought the scenery might be better. Well, it was (dramatic passages between the forests including the redwoods) except somewhat stress inducing as the locals rip up and down those windy roads with not much apparent caution. I enjoyed the twisty roads and scenery even in the dark although my wife and our econobox Hyundai probably did not.

My rounds were:

• Day 1 AM Pac Dunes, PM too tired to do anything else after being awake 22 hours the day before.
  • Day 2 AM Bandon Dunes (best score of trip, 76), PM Old Mac
  • Day 3 AM Trails, PM Preserve
  • Day 4 Bandon Crossings and wife date in Bandon Old Town

Weather was about what I expected. Day one was overcast but wind was down and light rain, no big deal, just the rain jacket. Temps high 40s. Day two AM weather was perfect but cold, high 30s teeing off becoming high 40s and sun. Light wind, ideal views on BD and the surrounding areas. PM became partly cloudy and the wind picked up big time. 30-40mph and temps in the 40s made Old Mac brutal but fun still. Day 3 AM weather we began with hail, frost delays, but no wind after the storm cleared and the courses drain incredibly well. Windy but didn't feel it much at Trails until about holes 15-16 and in where it really opens up. PM remained windy and partly cloudy, 20-30 mph and 40-45 degrees. Day 4 was clear, sunny, temps in the 50s, and playing inland at BC we felt almost no wind.

Overall we were told that the weather we experienced was A) colder and B) more frosty/icy than is typical of the season. That being said, I had no issues with it and was still an incredible experience. I would not hesitate to come back in the winter time except for the number of daylight hours was JUST a bit too low to get in 36 with lunch comfortably. You will have to eat a carryable lunch during your 2nd round but with the size of the sandwiches at the turn stands this is not an unpleasant proposition.

I dressed well in that I invested in a super nice goretex rain suit (FJ). However I dressed poorly in that I did not wear a super warm, snug fitting vest (rookie move). I layered long sleeve stuff and pullovers and while I was warm, it created too much bulk. Under armor legs and regular golf pants was more than enough. Packed my Nike Bandons but never used them. Had there been a monsoon, I would have used them but the place drains/dries so quickly I can't ever see it being a total bog.

Stayed at The Inn, and loved it. Our room overlooked number 18 at Bandon and we had spectacular dusk/dawn views. The lounge downstairs was great and we spent time there every evening, if only for a drink (if you are a beer lover, the local Bandon Pale (APA) is inexpensive and terrific). We also learned that you can order food from any of the various restaurants on property and they will bring it to you in that lounge, so if McKee's is full (which it typically is), you can still have your meatloaf!

Regarding food, we had a taste of most of the places. The Gallery was more expensive than the quality and took a while. Probably won't go back to that one. Pacific Grill was OK, but again costly for what you get. Trails End and McKee's were our favorites and will probably stick to those next time. Did not hit up the Bunker Bar but heard it's a blast if you're on a guys trip. Our final day we had date night in Bandon Old Town at the little Italian wine bistro place and it was great.

The resort itself is spectacular in its operation. The shuttle service is almost TOO quick, by the time you hang up the phone it seems they are there. Be ready. The staff is courteous and tends to your every need. On course marshals enforce slow play professionally and with kindness. Caddies were all terrific and fun to be around. Amenities and conditions were perfect in every way.

Course thoughts:

Pacific Dunes was spectacular in its views and layout. Probably my favorite overall. It does not feel punishing even though it is difficult.

Bandon Dunes has the same type of dramatic views of the coastline and a bit easier layout. Again it does not feel very punishing and is playable yet difficult. I had my best round of the trip here, a 76.

Old Mac is totally different, totally awesome, and I don't understand the negative reviews I have read. Wide open, super windy, it's all about chipping and putting. You can spray it all over and find your ball, have a good look at the green, etc. But once you get close to the greens, hang on. They are huge and undulating and you will have some of the longest chips and putts of your life. I read in a previous trip log that a group does match play out here and I can see how insanely fun that would be. Scores here are probably going to be your highest unless your lag putting gets red hot.

Trails was another course I had heard some negative reviews on but I loved it. I would rank it my #2 favorite. The layout is great, it's set inland a bit and protected from the elements, and has a more traditional feel in that you feel contained, can see one hole at a time, it's mostly tree lined, that sort of thing. The greens here are also easier to putt on and don't have terrible amounts of slope. Make sure you walk back to the plaque after you get off the shuttle that takes you up the hill, to see the vantage point where the owner originally saw the property, it is gorgeous.

The Preserve was terrific, a 13 hole par 3 course crammed in to a tiny little cluster of dunes. They said they allow 8 somes and that would be a riot if you had a big group. And yes, you can putt your ball onto the 13th green from the tee box (100-120 yards or so). Like Bandon Dunes it has the same great sunset view everyone raves about.

The practice area was great, although I felt a little stupid when I found out after our trip concluded that the south range targets were actually a playable par 3 course called Shorty's. Next time I'll be sure to incorporate that in my trip.

The punch bowl was my biggest regret as there was not time for us to hit it up. I did sit on the patio and watch the big groups as they had a loud and fun time and it will be on our list next time for sure.

I also did not have a chance to visit the Sheep Ranch as being a single it wasn't really set up for me. When I go back with a group I will make sure that it is in the rotation though.

I did take a caddie for all of my rounds on the resort except Preserve. My caddie was Tim Palmer who is a younger fellow, but experienced looper who has worked at some prestigious clubs besides Bandon and holds a PGA class A certification as well as prior D1 college golf. I would rate him a 10/10... he was professional, fun, and knowledgeable in every way without being too much or too little involved. It was at his recommendation we played Bandon Crossings and I'm glad we did. it gave my feet a rest (we took a cart) and the layout is exceptional, and enjoyable. The bentgrass greens and fairways offered the chance to play some different conditions from the links courses, and the place overall had a charming small-town municipal vibe which reminded me of my beginning years of golf.

As you can tell I have said "next time" a lot. The minute we got back home I already began planning my next trip out and hopefully I will get a group together. It was fun going as a single though and I have no regrets, if anything it was a valuable scouting trip and a chance for me to explore and get a feel for the place. I think with this in mind I will be able to structure a future trip that maximizes the golf and potential of each course with respect to timing, weather, etc. Some things I would do differently:

• Perhaps go a bit later in March or April to get more daylight but I was told the wind begins to pick up even more as the spring and summer approach, so not sure. Winter is still 100% playable and with the lower wind and lower costs it is totally a viable option (don't be afraid!)
  • Stay away from Old Mac in the afternoon unless it's super calm
  • Play Trails in the PM as it blocks the wind quite well
  • Play Pac Dunes in the AM
  • Play Bandon Dunes in the AM or at sunset for the views
  • Eat at McKees or Trails End exclusively. Or have food from those places brought to the lounge in your lodging building, if it has one.
  • Consider playing Bandon Crossings in the morning during the middle of the trip and take carts, to give your feet a rest. Then hit up Preserve/Shortys/Punchbowl in the PM that day. Curious to hear what experienced BDers think of this option.
  • Now that I've had a caddie, I may not take one for every single round next time. It's not so blind that you have no idea what to do.
  • Wear a good warm vest instead of lots of long sleeve layers (too much bulk)
  • Wear thicker socks for more cushion

On a scale of 1-10 this place is a 13. Someone said it is golf heaven and they are right. I can see myself coming here frequently for as long as I am capable of doing so!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have about 6 or 7 rounds in at Old Mac. I completely get what they tried to do here and I have no doubt they accomplished their goal, however, the course, despite my best efforts, just does not do it for me. I find it repetitive and boring. Whack it as far as you can until you get to the green and than try to avoid a silly chip shot or a three putt. Rinse, lather, repeat.

After the last trip (no.4), Trails continues to blow my mind. It is almost as if it has it's own vibe separate from the overall resort. For some reason, Bandon Dunes really jumped out at me. There is a certain playability about BD that is understated.

Pacific just beats you up and if the wind is up, it is survival for a regular hack like myself.