Golf in Aruba

Need help deciding if I should play these courses?
I'm going to Aruba in April and I'm wondering if anyone has ever played there. The two courses I see that are available are:

- Tierra del Sol Resort & Country Club
- The Links at Divi Aruba

Is there anyone who has played either of these two courses and can provide some feedback? Thanks!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played two rounds at Tierra del Sol when I was in Aruba on my honeymoon. Nice course and was not that difficult of a layout, but the trade winds are rough if they are blowing hard. Play early (ie, done by noon) or you will roast on the golf course. My first round was part of a weekly tournament that the resort that I was staying at ran, we teed off at noon on a Wednesday and I wanted to stop after 9 holes due to the heat.

I've played both and will be going back again in February. If you're going to Aruba and want to play golf they're the only courses available. Tierra is 18 holes with great views, a lot of wind, and pretty expensive. The Divi is 9 holes and also a nice layout but not the views or as much wind. Aruba is very hot and I find playing 9 holes very early at the Divi gets me done in 1 1/2 hours and back to my family and out to the beach. Last year I played Tierra twice and the Divi four times over a two week stay. It's not the ultimate golf trip and it's expensive, but when you want to play in the winter it hits the spot. The Divi also has a restaurant called Mulligans. The food is good, the views are great and there's lot of plasma to watch games or whatever. You can rent clubs at either course. I brought my own because I wanted to try out a bunch of different clubs I had bought over the winter and because I knew I was going to play enough to make it worthwhile. If I was only going to play one round I would play 18 at the Tierra. I played at the Divi so much because it was convenient to where I was staying and because my wife didn't hassle me about being away from the family for most of the day.

• 2 months later...

Tierra Del Sol can be a beast with the wind. With out it the course is pretty defense less. I'm almost positive the wind blows in the same general direction and thats how holes are set up. Its expensive for what you get but you have to play it once.

The other course I haven't played but went to school with the head professional Adam Williamson. I know the course is 9 holes and relatively short. If you get 3 golf days I would suggest warm up first at the Divi and hit Tierra Del Sol the final day.

[b][i]Titleist 917D3[/i][/b]
[b][i]Titleist 917F3[/i][/b]
[b][i]Titleist [/i]816H1[/b]
[b][i]Titleist 716[/i][/b] [i][b]AP2 [/b][/i]
[i][b]Titleist Vokey SM6[/b][/i]
[i][b]Titleist Scotty Cameron Golo 5[/b][/i]
[i][b]Titleist Pro V1X[/b][/i]

• 3 years later...

do either places have ranges ? I am staying right at the Divi this upcoming Dec and am bringing the sticks. Will likely hit both places twice over my 2 week stay

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Cally AI Smoke 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

[quote name='CARDY' timestamp='1309795026' post='3363428']
do either places have ranges ? I am staying right at the Divi this upcoming Dec and am bringing the sticks. Will likely hit both places twice over my 2 week stay
[/quote]

I don't believe that Divi has a range. Tierra del Sol does, but it looks like a joke. Dead into the wind, straight downhill, and about 100 yards long. Divi links looked really well designed and in good shape, too.

[quote name='CARDY' timestamp='1309795026' post='3363428']
[/quote]

Divi has several locations in Aruba which one are you staying at? Divi golf course is a flat decent conditined 9 hole course. Driving range was 2 stalls of indoor/outdoor carpeting into a net. They were doing some renovations last year and 2 holes were under repair August, 2010.

Tierre del Sol is a true 18 hole championship course. Depending on time of day you play, 20+ mph wind will magnify all of your errant shots. Greens are bermuda and putts are affected beyond belief. Haven't played the course in several years. Check with their pro shop to see what their aeration schedule is. I had a bad experience several years ago.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just played Teirra Del Sol and enjoyed it more than I expected. I teed off at 7 and was on the beach by 10 (and that included hitting a couple of fun shots twice and taking a few pictures along the way). The first few holes play towards, and in the shadows of, the lighthouse. Fairways are very generous (as they should be with the wind) and holes are laid out so that the long ones are with the wind and the short ones are into it. The greens are pretty bland but the constant wind makes you rethink every line you choose to take. When I played there was enough wind to make it fun, interesting, challenging, and fair. I've heard it can be too much sometimes though, making it far from enjoyable. Although the course doesn't photograph well, it really is in pretty good shape and a joy to play. Definitely play it once to get your golf fix when you are on the island. Play early before the extreme heat and get back to beach ASAP.

Divi is a 5 out of 10. Short, lots of trouble. Simply a golf diversion if you are there for a bit

TD Sol was a beast in high winds. One day it blew 45mph. A 5 or 6 club wind at times. Great views on 4 or 5 holes. It's right on the tip of the island and the waves from the East hammer in

The layout was a 7/10. Conditions were 7/10 except the traps were a 3/10. I played 3 times on a pass for $400. Greens OK but I've played a lot better in the Carribean

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Cally AI Smoke 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

• 1 month later...

I played Tierra the other day and it was a beast due to the wind & heat. Winds had to be 30-50 mph all day and no let up. It was fun to hit some of the constant knock downs required. I played with my new bride and it was a little much for her, but I'd go back again with a group of guys. Conditions were ok, they must have punched their greens in the last week or so. We're staying on the divi course and will play it today. Divi looks much greener and less wind

Callaway Mavrik driver

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 4-wood
Mizuno MP20 HMB 3-5 irons
Mizuno MP20 6-pw

Mizuno T20 50*, 55* and 60* wedges
Bettinardi BB25 putter
Titleist Pro V1x ball

• 3 weeks later...