2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

gaining swingspeed

dennisd617

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They is tons of stuff you can do. Mainly, what I would say is the foundation of creating power in your swing, is the strength of your core muscles, abs, low back, hips etc. Mainly because that is where the most torque is created on your body during the swing. Secondly, I would say your shoulders, triceps, upper back, and hamstrings. These are somewhat bigger muscles, but also the muscles that are fully engaged at the moment of impact. Then obviously, everything else just so you dont have an imbalance of strong and weak muscles. Its not that hard to do, takes time and work, but just like the golf swing, its well worth it when you hit that one perfect shot and you see the results of hard work.

PM me if you want some other sites to check out exercises and stuff like that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Different people swing different ways, so one thing you can do to figure out what primary muscle groups to work are to look at your muscle positions at the top of the backswing (where you are starting out at 0 mph) to the positions at impact (where you get to whatever your speed is at impact).

For example, with my particular swing, I'll train my:

Outer left forearm
Inner right forearm
Right triceps
Right chest
Right obliques
Left quad
Left adductor
Right hamstring
Right abductor

When you train, make sure you train as fast as you can under control...to build fast muscle you have to train fast.

I've also know of another great overall resource I can point you to for swing speed training. PM me for more info.

Jaacob

[quote name='jaacobbowden' post='814294' date='Dec 6 2007, 09:23 AM']Different people swing different ways, so one thing you can do to figure out what primary muscle groups to work are to look at your muscle positions at the top of the backswing (where you are starting out at 0 mph) to the positions at impact (where you get to whatever your speed is at impact).

Outer left forearm
Inner right forearm
Right triceps
Right chest
Right obliques
Left quad
Left adductor
Right hamstring
Right abductor

When you train, make sure you train as fast as you can under control...to build fast muscle you have to train fast.

I've also know of another great overall resource I can point you to for swing speed training. PM me for more info.

Jaacob[/quote]

Just wondering, do you not train the opposite muscles at all? For instance, do you only train your right chest and do nothing with your left? I would think that a training regiment like this would make you look pretty lop sided?

[quote name='dday' post='814313' date='Dec 6 2007, 10:37 AM'][quote name='jaacobbowden' post='814294' date='Dec 6 2007, 09:23 AM']Different people swing different ways, so one thing you can do to figure out what primary muscle groups to work are to look at your muscle positions at the top of the backswing (where you are starting out at 0 mph) to the positions at impact (where you get to whatever your speed is at impact).

Outer left forearm
Inner right forearm
Right triceps
Right chest
Right obliques
Left quad
Left adductor
Right hamstring
Right abductor

Jaacob[/quote]

Just wondering, do you not train the opposite muscles at all? For instance, do you only train your right chest and do nothing with your left? I would think that a training regiment like this would make you look pretty lop sided?
[/quote]

yes...i dont think it would be a good idea training like this...train your muscles together and with each other (dont just do right chest). I can see what hes getting at and maybe it works for him, but i wouldn't reccomend anything like this for someone else. Do you see tiger or any tour pros doing this? no. Like the first responder said, train your core muscles because those are probably the most important. Do leg excercises to build a good base to support a high swing speed. And getting stronger in your upper body (while staying flexible) can only help.

Ah, yes, sorry for the confusion. That would indeed make for an asymmetrical and unbalanced body. ;-) I do indeed train both left and right sides.

I was just trying to point out the muscles in particular that I use on the downswing...and also to figure out for yourself which muscles that would primarily be used in your particular downswing. It's once piece of the puzzle for adding speed to your swing.

Flexibility is important, but not necessarily critical to long drives and high speeds. Neither Sean Fister (a multiple Remax World Long Drive Champion) nor JB Homes (PGA Tour) reach parallel in their driver backswings...and they have plenty of distance.

And Tiger and the guys on Tour are obviously good players and many probably know a lot about golf fitness. But you can be fit and still slow, and fat and still fast. Swing speed training is a much different thing than golf fitness.

Jaacob
Swing Man Golf

A weighted device can definitely help your swing speed. However, beyond warming and getting loose with it, if you are doing any kind of extensive slow swinging, you could be adding strength (good) but you could also be adding slow-twitch strength (not so good). When working with weighted devices...make sure to warm up (to avoid injury), and swing them as fast as you can but still under control (more swing speed doesn't help if you hit the ball all over the planet - make it usable).

Warm-up is definitely good, and although I do certainly advocate and enjoy flexibility...it's not a prerequisite for fast swing speeds (another ex. long driver Vince Howell). And although aerobic training and nutrition help with maximizing swing speed, it's not completely necessary either (ex. John Daly).

Jaacob
Swing Man Golf

• 1 month later...

Both resistance training and speed training should be incorporated into a golfers routine. Strengthen the golf muscles through resistance training: weighted clubs, swing fan and using wrist/ankle weights on the wrists while swinging the swing fan and without it by clasping both hands together. Develop fast twitch muscle response through speed training: speed chain and the overspeed device. A good website to check out is maxdgolf.com

so now the ultimate question....high rep low weight or low rep high weight? I've been trying to alternate what i do...ie one day 6 reps with heavy weights then the next 10 reps with slightly lighter weight...but should i stick with one over the other or what?

Driver: PXG Black Ops TenseiAV Raw White 65x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: Srixon MKII 18* MMT 105x
Irons: Srixon Zx7 MKII Project X 6.5
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

ok thanks....will do....i've been noticing some results so far...but i've only been working out again for a couple months or slightly less.

Driver: PXG Black Ops TenseiAV Raw White 65x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: Srixon MKII 18* MMT 105x
Irons: Srixon Zx7 MKII Project X 6.5
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

Kenny,

Heavy weights produce strength, light weights produce speed and quickness. If you go heavy all the time, you will "bulk" up faster, which is NOT what you want to do for the sport of golf. Lighter weights doing more reps faster also helps out with cardio, to help build up stamina for the long haul.

Mike

:tongue:
[quote name='idrive400yards' post='888574' date='Jan 29 2008, 05:46 AM']Kenny,

Heavy weights produce strength, light weights produce speed and quickness. If you go heavy all the time, you will "bulk" up faster, which is NOT what you want to do for the sport of golf. Lighter weights doing more reps faster also helps out with cardio, to help build up stamina for the long haul.

Mike[/quote]
err no, plyometrics and explosive excercises produce speed and quickness, not light weights, football players are some of the most explosive athletes, and i bet you will never see them doing 40 reps of a lightweight unless they are just changing up their routine to shock for the next period of training.
give me two people with the exact same genes, same distance on their driver and set up one with a plan like defranco's WS4SB which is some serious lifting as well as plyo's and then give the other some program where its all light weights and high reps, and i would put everything i own on the guy whos actually lifting weight
/endofrantabouttopicthatmisleadssooomanypeople

[quote name='beachgrovejunior' post='890092' date='Jan 29 2008, 09:54 PM']:tongue:
[quote name='idrive400yards' post='888574' date='Jan 29 2008, 05:46 AM']Kenny,

Mike[/quote]
err no, plyometrics and explosive excercises produce speed and quickness, not light weights, football players are some of the most explosive athletes, and i bet you will never see them doing 40 reps of a lightweight unless they are just changing up their routine to shock for the next period of training.
give me two people with the exact same genes, same distance on their driver and set up one with a plan like defranco's WS4SB which is some serious lifting as well as plyo's and then give the other some program where its all light weights and high reps, and i would put everything i own on the guy whos actually lifting weight
/endofrantabouttopicthatmisleadssooomanypeople
[/quote]

Sorry about being so misleading.....I do it and it works for me. Were not talking football here, sure they're strong, quick, some even explosive, but put them behind a golf ball....I did this kind of work out and others as well when I was playing bseball, and just carried it over for longdriving where swingspeed/ballspeed is key. But everyone's body makeup/style is different and to train them according to your body's chemistry makeup will enhance your overall gains. For best results see your local physical trainer.

I'm not here to argue with anyone, so don't take it as offensive.

meh it doesn't take much to be a trainer these days, the only guys i would even think of seeeing are the TPI guys. You are right about different body types endo mectomorph etc but i still dont believe in if you are a Meso to use light weights, but to each their own.

One point i do have though is you say put them behind a golf ball and... The reason they wouldn't be able to hit the golf ball far is not their body, but the fact that they dont have the skills down. Give them some practive and with their athleticism they would ve very good. Take anyone of any body shape and they will suck at golf the first time. Look at Tiger, hes Strong, Quick, and sometimes explosive, and look what he does with a golf ball but i wouldn't put him on the football field cause he doesn't play football, but i say with his amount of athleticism if he played it from an early age he could play NFL

light weights do NOT produce speed or quickness.

doing light weights in my opinion is a waste of time - you may benefit a little from using them but to a lesser degree than if you had used heavier weights.

if you have the choice of doing light or heavy go with heavy - strength is good!

your strength will increase - light weights are nice if you want muscles that look good! or for a warmdown

see bodybuilder versus powerlifter.

a stronger muscle is going to perform better than a weaker muscle.

i know people are going to harp on about fast and slow twitch fibres but unless you know the quantative science behind these often blurted out terms please dont chuck them around as if you are an authority and spare us all the misinformation.

kenny

• 2 months later...
light weights do NOT produce speed or quickness.

doing light weights in my opinion is a waste of time - you may benefit a little from using them but to a lesser degree than if you had used heavier weights.

if you have the choice of doing light or heavy go with heavy - strength is good!

your strength will increase - light weights are nice if you want muscles that look good! or for a warmdown

see bodybuilder versus powerlifter.

a stronger muscle is going to perform better than a weaker muscle.

i know people are going to harp on about fast and slow twitch fibres but unless you know the quantative science behind these often blurted out terms please dont chuck them around as if you are an authority and spare us all the misinformation.

kenny

I don't agree with that at all. Light weight will not produce muscles that 'look good'... Your muscles will ONLY grow if they lift things that are over what they are used to lifting. For instance...if you walk everyday your legs will not get bigger...why?...because they have no need to! Lifting light is good for a burnout set.

While bodybuilding and powerlifting are different they are alike in some ways also. Both use ME and RE types of lifting as well as around the same % of weight compared to their 1RM. Powerlifting is not really geared towards 'making the body look better' but just lifting the most weight possible. Both are great for working out and IMO one is not better than the other.

I prefer bodybuilding workout types because IMO it works the muscles more...maybe not to complete failure like powerlifting but OVERALL IMO it does work the muscles more.

Body coil swing exercises with light weights works for my speed swings. A 46 inch long pipe, filled with dirt, 2 inches thick, Works my strenth muscles. I creat a v shape, holding the pipe, and i center my nose to my hands on the pipe. Then, i swing too about 3 o'clock too 9 o'cklock position bak and forth ( but not hard ) my legs and feet are now in a cemented position. After three sets of 100 swings, i take an old driver, swing fast,yet soft, and tighten all my mucsels at impact and emediatly go back to light-soft swing.

Its not a good way to practice (above the golf range) because i snap-a-lot of club heads! But it works for me!!! Couple other iceOs' i us-but not telling...

• 3 weeks later...

We hear a lot about "core strength" these days and after 2 years of Pilates, I'm a believer. I'm fairly lean (5'11", 160 lbs.), so I'm not going to blow anyone away in the gym. However, I've repeatedly challenged the bigger, stronger guys at my gym to last one full session in the Pilates studio (which is usually me at about 20 women of average to above-average attractiveness, so there's another side bonus). Only a couple of guys have joined me - and they've left about halfway through, grimacing and shaking their heads.

I used to have some back soreness - gone. My posture - excellent. My golf game - undeniably better. Doing Pilates is a great way to strengthen your abdominals and lower back. There are a lot of twisting motions in Pilates and this translates to increased swing speed but, more importantly, it translates into better stability. The COMBINATION of strength and stability is what really makes a difference. I do that 1-2 times per week along with lifting, running, and swimming. I tend to spend less time in the gym during golf season, but getting in shape over the winter makes my body pretty much pain-free from April-October.

Now, if you're not ready to get down on a mat in a Pilates studio (and yes, it does take some courage), a great set of rotational core exercises I do uses the cable crossover machine at the gym. Rather than a big, long explanation here, look up "woodchop exercise" online. I do 2-3 sets of 8-10 reps at a lower, a mid, and an upper setting on the crossover at a setting of 55-65 lbs. It forces you to stabilize your legs and glutes - which you need to do during your swing - while working your core. Make sure you do both sides to avoid creating an imbalanced core area.

N.B. Before starting ANY exercises with which you're unfamiliar, check with a trainer at your gym. They'll help you avoid injury - which in April, would SUCK!!!!

Your muscles will ONLY grow if they lift things that are over what they are used to lifting. For instance...if you walk everyday your legs will not get bigger...why?...because they have no need to! Lifting light is good for a burnout set.

Yes, in order to see serious muscle growth you must use enough weight that the muscle will be overloaded and "realize" that it needs to adapt.

If you go heavy all the time, you will "bulk" up faster, which is NOT what you want to do for the sport of golf.

Meh...lets be honest, take a look at guys like Tiger and Villegas; clearly neither of them are negatively affected by the amount of bulk they have. They are not big enough to have their bulk limit flexibility and are therefore unhampered. Now consider the average Joe; how many are going to ever approach bulk that is anywhere near a Tiger Woods. For the typical lifter becoming too bulked up probably isn't much of a concern.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

okay, so there are definitely some valid points on here, mostly about building core strength. That is crucial, along with shoulders and forearms. Now it seems there has been some confusion of the difference between light weight high reps, and high weight low reps. The high repetition builds lean muscle, which is strong. High weight low reps creates more muscle mass. For golf there is no question low weight and increased repetitions and sets is the way to go. The point is to build lean, strong, flexible muscle, not bulky mass that looks better. Besides, low weight high rep gives you a cut look like Villegas, combined with correct diet of course, and I think id rather look like him than a big waddling poofball.