2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

gaining swingspeed

dennisd617

okay, so there are definitely some valid points on here, mostly about building core strength. That is crucial, along with shoulders and forearms. Now it seems there has been some confusion of the difference between light weight high reps, and high weight low reps. The high repetition builds lean muscle, which is strong. High weight low reps creates more muscle mass. For golf there is no question low weight and increased repetitions and sets is the way to go. The point is to build lean, strong, flexible muscle, not bulky mass that looks better. Besides, low weight high rep gives you a cut look like Villegas, combined with correct diet of course, and I think id rather look like him than a big waddling poofball.

agree, why has no one here sugested joggin/biking? they help keep you in better shape/to get a core.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cristiano Ronaldo used ankle weights on his feet when practising tricks. When he signed for Man Utd he was too small, so they bulked him up in the gym and he still has his foot speed, same as a lot of foreign footballers that must bulk up for the Premiership or they'd get knocked off the ball.

*most* Premiership players are quick and have to be very quick or they'd not make the grade. Teddy Sheringham was a 'slow' player - yet he still ran the 100m in 12 seconds.

I'd mimic Ronaldo personally but adapt a routine for golf muscles instead of feet.

I used to go the gym but stopped. I got bigger and kept my flexibility but actually lost distance. I played with much better feel though and my scores went down.

I'm not a personal trainer, but my ex-girlfriend is. She says you can't have it all and that you can head towards these goals but it would always be a compromise of many factors; though that compromise may be easily good enough.

She also thought that it would be difficult to do effective exercises to increase speed with fatigued muscles from weight training for size and strength. As I'm skinny, she said I'd always have to work harder to keep the size on and it would be a compromise with my golf practice as well - which would also suffer from fatigued muscles - but that the most important thing in becoming a good golfer is to practice regularly and to use my advantages - slim, excellent stamina, respectable distance and not someone elses' advantages. As I don't play any longer than one round competitions, I'd be better served using my stamina for short game practice.

She also thought that training for power, general flexibility to prevent injury and cardio for stamina was of more use in golf for most people than speed anyway. She reckoned that most people who were fit could swing the club fast, but not all could keep their technique sound at the highest speeds, based on the poor technique of relatively simple free-weights movements that she saw each day with new gym customers, and their impulse to move the weight too fast e.g. engaging the lower back on a dumbell curl for example. She thought gradually learning to perform the swing faster within the bounds of good technique would make me hit the ball furthest (and that I wasn't already doing that) but that I'd need a dedicated assistant who could see when it started to get sloppy.

As long as I had sufficient rest and dieted well, she thought I'd make gains if I followed one of her programmes. She told me to concentrate on practising every day, bulking up, staying flexible in my evening gym sessions three times a week, keep going running first thing in the morning and on alternate no-gym evenings do my swing speed training AFTER my golf practice. She also considered the routine of a sprinter would help alongside some specific swing speed exercises.

What with her doing fitness everyday and me practicing we split up!

- I would suggest a better idea is to jog every other day in the morning, practice three times a week on (wedges, putting and your six iron), go Karate or similar twice a week stay and don't forget to stay in with the missus and take her out and also have a laugh and get drunk at the weekend in the evenings.

Regarding high/low weights: Tiger's workouts involve a lot of high rep/low weight work, according to his trainer. He seems to be doing okay with it.

Generally high rep low weight can seen to maximize explosiveness, but can also be seen to tone up his muscles.... My guess is that he's maintaining a steady regiment where he's keeping in shape so that he's healthy. Which is what most people who are "in season" should be doing...

I would highly recommend that you start with stretching techniques, you'll be amazed at the results. Once you're more comfortable, add resistance workouts paired with stretching techniques that compliment that muscle. Stretch, stretch, stretch! You'll develop a much better understanding of your body and eventually how to apply golf specific workouts to muscles.

Does anyone know if practicing with a punching bag would increase swing speed? My idea is that a punch must use the same muscles as a golf swing and the power of a punch also comes from fast rotation.

Any thoughts? Does this make any sense?

Not sure if anyone mentioned before, but I would guess that flexibility would be important for SS, no? If anything I would say that many of the tour players are very flexible and not necessarily very muscular (Tiger is actually both).

Does anyone know if practicing with a punching bag would increase swing speed? My idea is that a punch must use the same muscles as a golf swing and the power of a punch also comes from fast rotation.

Any thoughts? Does this make any sense?

Not sure if anyone mentioned before, but I would guess that flexibility would be important for SS, no? If anything I would say that many of the tour players are very flexible and not necessarily very muscular (Tiger is actually both).

Well any type of exercise will have some gains, punching bags in particular may have some particular gains in reference to the swing speed but the most gains you will get for exercise will be those that target core muscles... so yeah if done properly you can achieve gains from using a punching bag. I'd suggest gloves and wrist supports.

• 1 month later...
Your muscles will ONLY grow if they lift things that are over what they are used to lifting. For instance...if you walk everyday your legs will not get bigger...why?...because they have no need to! Lifting light is good for a burnout set.

Yes, in order to see serious muscle growth you must use enough weight that the muscle will be overloaded and "realize" that it needs to adapt.

If you go heavy all the time, you will "bulk" up faster, which is NOT what you want to do for the sport of golf.

Meh...lets be honest, take a look at guys like Tiger and Villegas; clearly neither of them are negatively affected by the amount of bulk they have. They are not big enough to have their bulk limit flexibility and are therefore unhampered. Now consider the average Joe; how many are going to ever approach bulk that is anywhere near a Tiger Woods. For the typical lifter becoming too bulked up probably isn't much of a concern.

You are also missing the fact that althought Tiger isn't as bulky as he could be from working out he did find it necessary to add 30 pounds of muscle to his frame. His workout routine we here about now is only to maintain that level of strength and flexibility, because he already put in the really hard work to get there in the first place. I say do anything in the gym personally, the best way to build muscle fast is to prevent your muslces from getting used to a routine. Have fun in the gym and vary the way you workout...as long as your in the gym in the first place your ahed of 99% of the golfers out there.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

• 2 months later...

Drill a hole in a golf ball and epoxy it to the end of a long golf shaft, warm up and you swing it about 20-30MPH faster than your driver. Do 20 or 30 swings as fast as you can 3 or 4 times per week for a few months and you will quickly improve your Swing Speed (this is the only variation to my routine over the last 5 years and have added 5-10 MPH) Added bonuses are that the white blur created by the ball lets you see your swing path and the extra noise lets you hear/feel how to swing it to generate the most club head speed at the bottom of the swing. Other benefits are its easy, cheap and quick. If it doesn't work you havent lost anything!

• 1 month later...

Def no low weight high rep crap. I live about 2 miles from the Olympic training center and my brother lived there for years training. Teh discuss, javelin throwers weren't doing anything but explosive exercises. As mentioned before power cleans will be great for overall strenght. A medicine ball can be a great tool for explosive exercises. But it will be a combination of flexability and strenght. Finding where you are losing power will help you improve.

For me I have poor flexability in my hips, rotator cuff, and wrists. My core/ back are good. I have to work hard on stretching my three week area's as I am as strong as I need to be for regular golf.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'll be completely honest, I'm a gym rat and I see 90% of people there that don't lift productively, they don't really gain much of anything in terms of strength, conditioning, explosiveness, etc after the first month. It's not all about doing heavy, or plyo or whatever, it's about continuing to challenge your body. If you don't do that, you stop gaining and voila, you waste your time. Now that said, 99% of people will NEVER bulk up from lifting, they may eat more and gain weight, but that would be the extent of it. Most people will not continue long enough or train hard enough to gain serious muscle. Nor are they committed enough to maintain the diet to make it happen.

I think there are many ways to gain strength and add club head speed, I personally think that an overall conditioning program is going to be your best bet. You can certainly train core hard, and go for forearms to really maximize golf swing speed, if that's the only goal, go for it, I personally feel you will be better suited to build your whole body and benefit on the course and off the course, but that's me.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='CLA225' timestamp='1201285094' post='882301']
I use a swing stick.... I use it 5-6 times a week and Have been able to bump my speed up 6 MPH and Also was able to work on a soild quick balanced swing.... It does not matter how fast your swing speed is if you are not balanced.....

I pulled a stick off ebay for 60$
[/quote]

can you buy in stores too?