2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

WRX'ers who got an Edel Fitting...Did you stick with it?

Z1ggy16

Could be, golf is a very mental game. Even if it started as a mental thing, the physical validated it I suppose. I barely holed any putts from 10ft with them, and once he gave me my old putter back, I immediately made putts again. The putter just does not want to move in an arc, and my body really wanted it to... it felt very forced, is all I can say/explain. Also, even though head weight was similar, the SW felt off, which maybe was an even bigger factor than the whole "torque balance" thing.

i know of a lot of people that went for putter fitting but after a while, they just switch back to what they like and use to. I went for a putter fitting and was told a face balance putter works just slightly better for me as I close the face too quickly. I wasn't sure if the person knew what he was saying but anyhow i bought a face balance mallet. However out on the course, i still kept missing left and i switch back to my newport 2. I think putter is just so personal it is really what looks right to you then right length, loft and lie and thats it. Toe hang aside as long as you can control the face square at impact and practise more, all will be good. Its all about practice.

I will add my fitting report as well.

I was fit at Edel's facility outside Austin last week.

I game an Odyssey Works 1W putter from a few years back. I had been eyeing the Edel process for awhile, so I have been using their round putter grip for 4-6 months or so as an experiment and a more inexpensive change to the putter setup than a new putter. I do not find it offensive and I have actually liked it.

The fitting process is well-documented, so I will hit the highlights. My current aim was pretty close, but a little out to the right. My lie angle was not upright enough, so the heel of the putter is up a bit. I have been told this, so it is no surprise. For aim, I was fit into either the E-3 blade with a line on the leading edge and flange that becomes one at address or the E-1 mallet with two lines framing the ball on the leading edge and a single on the flange. The aim being impacted by shapes and lines is real!

I chose the E-3 blade to move forward for a simpler looking head.

Distance control was the hardest to dial in. I tend to get active with my right hand as my miss (add loft, miss sweet spot, etc.) as a right-handed putter. The usual fix would add weight to oppose the right hand down the shaft. It just did not work for me. It did not feel good and my stroke got more hit in it instead of smooth. He kept moving the weight up until it was at the top of the shaft. Apparently, my right hand will not upset the momentum of a stroke that is going towards the hole. It worked. I started getting 4 balls within 3-6" of the string with this setup.

The toughest thing for me to get used to was the feel. I have been playing an insert putter for around a year. Before that, I had a milled Bettinardi blade for a while. With the Odyssey, when I feel or hear a strike I think it is bad. When I feel nothing, akin to the sweet spot of a tennis racket, I know it is pure. Seeing the cluster on distance control and knowing that my lie angle was correct pushed me over the edge. I took way too long to decide, but I went for it. Knowing my putter was close was tempting, but getting the aim dialed in and the correct lie and trying something new was worth it.

Here are the specs as I recall them: E-3 blade, small offset neck (maybe 1/4 ball) lines as mentioned above, 40g counterweight, 73 or 74* lie angle, 2* loft (I think), Pixl insert. I opted for the gold finish with black and white paint fill. White lines and black as the primary logo color, with my initials on the bottom of the putter.

The fitting was no pressure. We talked about other putter shapes and even had some irons built for Bryson - those fat grips are insane! David Edel was messing around in the shop like a normal guy. A very low key place with zero pretension. A funny moment was when I asked my guy did he play single-length, and he said "Yes, of course. We all do".

That's all I can think of now, and I am hoping I adjust well to the new putter when it gets here.

Appreciate all the posts in this topic as I'm about to get fit in two weeks. Any advice or questions I should make sure to cover during the fit?

I tried to not game the fitting. My biggest fitting fear is not being myself during the fitting.

During the aim portion, I did not pay attention to markings on the carpet to line up the putter. I tried to faithfully aim at the hole with the putter blade.

During the distance portion, I rolled some putts with my gamer between weight changes to "cleanse the palate" to avoid grooving the distance.

Ask questions - it is your time for your putter, so don't be bashful.

I did an Edel fitting on April 21. I got fit into a E-2, 34 inches, 70* lie, 2* loft, 21 grams on the bottom, 75 grams counterweight on top, forward hosel type with 3 lines on the top of the putter (no lines on the flange).

I went with Edel because I semi-love my SeeMore, and the Torque-Balancen (Edel) and Face-Balance (SeeMore) seem to have similar benefits. My SeeMore is money from 6 feet on in but my lag putting has been awful. I mean really, really, bad. So I was hoping the Edel fitting would help.

My putter fitting was OK/good, at least that would be my overall rating for it. The fitter charges $50 and credits that $50 towards the purchase. A bargain because he gave me some putting tips as well. I also had a chance to use another fitter than charged $125 for a SAM/Edel combo with no credit towards a purchase. I figure I'd take my chances for $50. At the end of the fitting I purchased an Edel but was never told the specs or given some sort of print out (my fault for not asking either). I did receive a confirmation email from Edel about the purchase. I called up Edel the following Monday, and got the specs. I was surprised that I was fit into a 34 inch putter, so I asked Edel to change it to 33 inches (my normal size from SeeMore and Ping)...it was not a problem. I will accept full responsibility for whatever changes in feel from moving from 34 to 33 inches. But I don't think it will be a big deal since I will have get used to the round grip and counterbalancing anyway.

So on aim, I tend to aim left (I'm left-handed) per the laser. However, my aim was pretty good once the fitter moved me to the forward hosel type. I was aiming straight pretty consistently even without the lines. The fitter played with 1 line, and then with 3 lines. The 3 line setup seemed to work, and we moved on from there. Didn't spend much time at all messing with the lines. The fitter had me originally in the mallet E-1 but I was not sure why (I should have asked why).

Once we got the head type, hosel, and lines dialed in, we headed to the putting green. I did most of the distance control stuff with the mallet E-1. I told him that I tend to duff my putts (i.e., the back of the mallet flange hits the ground coming through) with a mallet and have not used a mallet for some time. I couldn't completely control the distance during the line test but we eventually settled on a counterweighting that seemed to work. After we got the counterweighting set, which took awhile moving the weights up and down, I was given some time to putt on the green. I started to noticed I was duffing some putts with the mallet but the distance control was pretty good. Also, the weights in the putter shaft were rattling around a bit so that was distracting me too. So we went back inside and he switched me to the E-2. We checked the aim again on the laser, and things were good. I should have went back outside and putted a few more times with the E-2, probably wouldn't have made a big difference anyway since the rattling was distracting me. Plus, it was hot, and my wife was waiting for me to get home, so I said "f- it," and pulled the trigger on purchasing the E-2.

In looking back, I was surprised that there wasn't some kind of measurement process for determining length and loft of putter. The fitter seemed to eyeball those things. Also, I should have asked more questions about the thought process like "why did the fitter think the mallet E-1 was best?" Also, after moving to the E-2, I should have tried that out on the green. All in all, the fitting was OK/good, and I could have been a better advocate for myself during the process. But I like the look of the putter, the results on the practice green were good enough. The only true way to determine if my new Edel putter is right for me is to play a few rounds with it. The fitter would be a genius if I lowered my putts by 1.5 strokes per round! I will receive my new putter in about 20 days (or less). Also, it looks like I can go back to the fitter if I'm not satisfied with the counterweighting. Hope this helps!

Ping 410 LST *9 (+1), HZRDUS Smoke Black 60R

Ping G *14.5 (+1), Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70S

Callaway Apex Hybrid '16 *20, Matrix Red Tie HQ3 S

Callaway Apex Hybrid '16 *23, Matrix Red Tie HQ3 S

Adams XTD Forged 5-GW, Recoil 780 es F4

Vokey SM7 *56.14 F, UST Recoil 110 F4 #8

Vokey SM7 *60.12 D, UST Recoil 110 F4 #8

Ping Anser 2 Karsten TR, KBS CT Tour Black PVD