2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Maltby TS2

Popeye64

Hi all, new to the Maltby clubs.  Ordered a KR4 driving iron/hybrid a month or so again, got it last week and its amazing so far.

Obviously this has led to the issue I need to try some more, and eyeing up a set of irons.   Being on the other side of the world, I'm a bit reluctant to jump into a full set straight off as if they are not to my liking they will have no resale value.   

Almost fancied the idea of building a few clubs, so looking at buying the components to build up a TS3 and a TS1M 7 iron to test out before jumping into a full set.

Have all the bits and pieces in my cart, only thing I am unsure about is the tip weights.  Are these required?  Hard to know what weights I would need.   I see there is a full kit of multiple weights, but at this stage a bit reluctant to jump in that deep due to extra shipping costs and weight etc.

14 minutes ago, premixer said:

Hi all, new to the Maltby clubs.  Ordered a KR4 driving iron/hybrid a month or so again, got it last week and its amazing so far.

Obviously this has led to the issue I need to try some more, and eyeing up a set of irons.   Being on the other side of the world, I'm a bit reluctant to jump into a full set straight off as if they are not to my liking they will have no resale value.   

Almost fancied the idea of building a few clubs, so looking at buying the components to build up a TS3 and a TS1M 7 iron to test out before jumping into a full set.

Have all the bits and pieces in my cart, only thing I am unsure about is the tip weights.  Are these required?  Hard to know what weights I would need.   I see there is a full kit of multiple weights, but at this stage a bit reluctant to jump in that deep due to extra shipping costs and weight etc.

An excellent question re weights, the answer to which depends on shaft choice, length, and grips.  I have done testing using lead tape to address weight.  Recommend it.  If testing works out, then you can build or rebuild with tip or counter-weights.  Good luck!  Maltbys excel. 

19 minutes ago, premixer said:

You can always pose the question to GW of how much they project the SW to be with your components, and they can give you a starting point of where to start with figuring what, if any tip weight you might need. I would just build your test clubs as is with no tip weight. Spend some quality time with lead tape on the range and the course, to dial in exactly how much works best for you, then throw it on scale or calculate to figure where it's at. Buy and build the rest accordingly from there with which ever head you choose. Like you said, no sense in buying a weight kit if you dont need that much or know where exactly to start. Hope it works out.

10 hours ago, premixer said:

@IndyBonzoand @NRJyzr are spot on with the lead tape as an option. 

In the event that you have some OCD (like me) and you still want to consider tip weights or just really prefer the cleaner look, get a bag of 10g lead tip weights. You'll definitely need to know what tip diameter you'll be working with. 

The lead tip weights can easily be trimmed down with a pair of wire snips to meet the desired weight per club. And the lead tip weights are super cheap so you could even go overkill and order 2 bags. I've also used them to counter balance putters and even butt ends of clubs so they're versatile. 

Definitely a good move to buy the heads and components like ferrules and grips from Golfworks, and try to source the shafts locally. 

Edited by AZstu324
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, premixer said:

One other quick question before I hit the order button, just confirming that the universal  0.355/0.370 hosel doesn't require a shim or anything if using the smaller sized 0.355 shaft?

It should not. Some advice though, you will want to dry fit each and just make sure you can seat the shaft tip into the extra inset bore for the .355's. Also, I'd recommend using some fairly thick epoxy or centering beads. I use the Golfworks Tour set epoxy because it cures quickly and is fairly thick. 

In a perfect world, the .355 shaft seats perfectly and then use a collared ferrule and your golden.  New heads shouldn't be a problem.  Reshafting sometimes leaves epoxy in the bottom 1/8" of the .355 part of the universal bore 

FYI, for steel shafts, I have used Permatex Steel Weld to assemble the clubs.  It is a quick set product and is impact resistant, reinforced epoxy.  Dries dark gray.

Edited by Sparkey67
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, premixer said:

One other quick question before I hit the order button, just confirming that the universal  0.355/0.370 hosel doesn't require a shim or anything if using the smaller sized 0.355 shaft?

I built my TS3 irons with 0.355 taper steel shafts, I didn't use a shim and had no issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sparkey67 said:

In a perfect world, the .355 shaft seats perfectly and then use a collared ferrule and your golden.  New heads shouldn't be a problem.  Reshafting sometimes leaves epoxy in the bottom 1/8" of the .355 part of the universal bore 

FYI, for steel shafts, I have used Permatex Steel Weld to assemble the clubs.  It is a quick set product and is impact resistant, reinforced epoxy.  Dries dark gray.

Does the Permatex break down easily?  That's one of the things a golf shafting epoxy should do because there is a chance that you or someone else will want to reshaft in the future.

• Like 1

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

11 hours ago, bekgolf said:

Does the Permatex break down easily?  That's one of the things a golf shafting epoxy should do because there is a chance that you or someone else will want to reshaft in the future.

Yes, heat gun and the epoxy turns into a powder.  I've used on KBS TGI shafts and no issues when reshafting them back to Modus115's.

Edited by Sparkey67
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello!

I've been playing for about a year with a 20 year old set of Nicklaus MV-20's that I got for cheap. It's certainly been enough to kick off the addiction and I am ready to get a newer set. I've been slowly upgrading, I am currently gaming the a Callaway Epic Max, the kit 5-PW, 5W, 3h and 4h, an odyssey putter and Kirkland wedges. I just bought a used Titleist cart bag and I'm ready to send off my compete Nicklaus set to another newbie.  

I'm between the STi2 set and a KE4 Max set. With my existing irons I like hitting the 5 iron a lot more than either hybrid I'm carrying so I'm leaning toward running the 4-GW as either one gaps pretty well with my existing wedges. Am I missing anything? Is the bottom end of my bag too heavy? I'm not the best ball striker and do have a bit of a slice. I'm looking at a +1/2" and the stiff shafts for both sets and want something I can game for the foreseeable future and grow into. I do kind of like the idea of the jacked lofts in the KE4 Max set, and to my eye they look a lot better. Not a huge fan of the Maltby stamping on the sole, but $90 is a decent number of range balls. At the same time, $90 for clubs I really like, I'm not against. 

Thoughts? 

image.png.b2b1a56a2c65f7f1053928d3c1eca35b.png

4 minutes ago, JUST_AS_G00D said:

Maltby stamping

I understand the sentiment, but it is not seen at address.  Other than reading this occasionally on WRX, it's an afterthought/non-thought otherwise!

Having played both, IMO you cannot go wrong with either.  The Max are a bit more forgiving and have the weight screw for cleaner swingweight adjustment.  The Max look like a cleaner Ping G type series iron.  I like the finish and look of the STi2 better, a bit more satin/dull and IMO a bit less clunky.  Neither are going.to wow with their looks, but both perform well.  I went back to the STi2 as I am able to flight, hit punch and trouble shots easier with them vs. the Max where at times I struggled to find the bottom and they tended to be a bit too bouncy for me into the turf (other than that the Max are fabulous).  The little bit of forgiveness that I lose in the STi2 isn't noticed.

18 minutes ago, ode said:

I understand the sentiment, but it is not seen at address.  Other than reading this occasionally on WRX, it's an afterthought/non-thought otherwise!

Having played both, IMO you cannot go wrong with either.  The Max are a bit more forgiving and have the weight screw for cleaner swingweight adjustment.  The Max look like a cleaner Ping G type series iron.  I like the finish and look of the STi2 better, a bit more satin/dull and IMO a bit less clunky.  Neither are going.to wow with their looks, but both perform well.  I went back to the STi2 as I am able to flight, hit punch and trouble shots easier with them vs. the Max where at times I struggled to find the bottom and they tended to be a bit too bouncy for me into the turf (other than that the Max are fabulous).  The little bit of forgiveness that I lose in the STi2 isn't noticed.

That's a good point! I do like how the clubs look, beside the maltby branding. Maybe I'll take some paint remover to it

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tywithay84 said:

After a year of deliberating and putting 50 different sets in my cart, I finally bit the bullet on a TS3 5-G pak. Been wanting a set a long time. FWIW, it was Gabe's video that finally put the last nail in my debit card. That and I really like my 54 Max milled wedge I got last year. 

Did you get the .90 or the 1.05 Max Milled?

6 minutes ago, Tywithay84 said:

I'm not the best striker in the world, so I wanted a wedge with some help, but also low bounce. I keep it pretty straightforward and don't manipulate the face much and it has been great for me so far. 

I currently carry the TSW DRM 50 & 56 and a Kirkland 60 (Bought the set when the first came out and just wore them out).  I do like them and when I'm striking the ball well, they work as advertised.  Out of the sand, however, is my achilles heel.  I'm thinking of the 54 with the 1.05 for help out of the sand.

26 minutes ago, wantacigar said:

I currently carry the TSW DRM 50 & 56 and a Kirkland 60 (Bought the set when the first came out and just wore them out).  I do like them and when I'm striking the ball well, they work as advertised.  Out of the sand, however, is my achilles heel.  I'm thinking of the 54 with the 1.05 for help out of the sand.

I use mine out of the sand more often than I'd like and it has done well for me. I previously used an Edel SMS and it was great when I struck it well, but I've found more consistency with the Max.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wantacigar said:

Last year, I dumped the 3 wedge setup and went Max Milled with the 54/0.90 and 58/1.05 and while both are very good in the sand, the 58 is a get out of jail free.