2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Maltby TS2

Popeye64

11 hours ago, oNLy1 said:

This could be an interesting way to go about it. How do you guys feel about the descending weights in the shaft? Is it something that’s noticeable to you guys or should I not worry about it too much. For reference I’ve only ever played an old box set to date so I don’t think I’ve played a constant weight shaft. I was just wondering if there is a noticeable difference in flex that comes along with the decrease in weight. 

From what I understand the weight change through the set isn’t that many grams. Almost all parallel shafts are this way and I think contribute to a flighted shaft… the shorter irons are stiffer. You are also moving the bend profile as the shaft is trimmed shorter and shorter. 

I can’t say I really notice the difference swinging them. For me it is within the margin of swing error. If I played a lot of golf day in and day out that might change things.  

Now let’s say I had the same heads and same/similar shafts with a different weight scheme…I might like one over the other. This is what a good fitter could provide. Then the next day I’m not at the fitter and my swing changes…who knows. Such is golf.

• Thanks 1

I am looking to get into new irons but also potentially saving a buck while doing it.  The FSTs have been on my list and discussed thoroughly here, but I was also thinking about the DGx100 with the parallel tip.  I was fit into the DG Mid 115 x100 and that is a constant weight shaft.  The 130g x100 DG regular in parallel would weigh 116g in the 5i (after proper trimming), and descend slightly lower than what the DG 115 mid would weigh in the standard length I would need.  Am I crazy for thinking that could work to save a solid 50ish bucks on a 7 club set? 

Looking at the OG DBM to save some cash as well.  Lofts are right where I want them.

Edited by VisionaryOne

2 hours ago, VisionaryOne said:

I am looking to get into new irons but also potentially saving a buck while doing it.  The FSTs have been on my list and discussed thoroughly here, but I was also thinking about the DGx100 with the parallel tip.  I was fit into the DG Mid 115 x100 and that is a constant weight shaft.  The 130g x100 DG regular in parallel would weigh 116g in the 5i (after proper trimming), and descend slightly lower than what the DG 115 mid would weigh in the standard length I would need.  Am I crazy for thinking that could work to save a solid 50ish bucks on a 7 club set? 

Looking at the OG DBM to save some cash as well.  Lofts are right where I want them.

That could work well.  Remember that you can always get one club built to try, before getting a whole set

4 hours ago, Cwebb said:

That could work well.  Remember that you can always get one club built to try, before getting a whole set

Welp, found a set of TS4s on ebay with DG x100 shafts that look hardly used.  Same price as the DBM set.  I may just have to go with that.  They look too damn good.  Now to find out if they are parallel or tapered...

Turns out they are tapered... How much will 10g upset my swing?  High HC player with a SS too high for his own good.

Edited by VisionaryOne
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, VisionaryOne said:

Welp, found a set of TS4s on ebay with DG x100 shafts that look hardly used.  Same price as the DBM set.  I may just have to go with that.  They look too damn good.  Now to find out if they are parallel or tapered...

I really prefer the look of the TS4 and want to buy those. But irons are my weakness and ball striking is the worst part of my game. (5 GHIN). Driving, putting/short game are my strengths. Currently playing P790 (‘21) and love them.  So keep thinking I should go TS1 im because I don’t want to lose any distance unless marginal.  I like the look of the TS1 IM but love the look of the TS4. 

want to try the rapid tapers of axioms shafts.  

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

13 minutes ago, Minarets said:

I really prefer the look of the TS4 and want to buy those. But irons are my weakness and ball striking is the worst part of my game. (5 GHIN). Driving, putting/short game are my strengths. Currently playing P790 (‘21) and love them.  So keep thinking I should go TS1 im because I don’t want to lose any distance unless marginal.  I like the look of the TS1 IM but love the look of the TS4. 

want to try the rapid tapers of axioms shafts.  

TS4 just look too damn good.  I mean in theory, the only thing that matters is the loft and SS right?  TS4 is a bit weaker (I think a degree and a half starting at the PW) so you would lose some distance.  I was fit into the P770s by a TM rep.  Kinda want to go get an independent fitting before I really make up my mind, but I know the TM stock shafts (105g reg flex) of my current Tour Burners are not cutting it dispersion wise.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Minarets said:

axioms shafts

Axiom shafts are amazing. 

• Like 1

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red (S)

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue (S)
Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* - Project X U-Steel 6.0

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW 1*flat  - Axiom 125X

Ben Hogan Equalizer II 54* 1*flat - KBS Tour 120S

Ben Hogan Carnoustie 60* 1*flat  - KBS Tour 120S

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

2 hours ago, vandyfan said:

Axiom shafts are amazing. 

You are playing those in TS1 IMs right?

45 minutes ago, Minarets said:

You are playing those in TS1 IMs right?

Correct. I (so far) can flight them down or up, they feel great and made me feel like I had a new set of clubs. Biggest downside is now I am re-evaluating ALL the shafts in my bag, notably my driver shaft now. 

• Thanks 1

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

1 hour ago, Justin962 said:

I ordered the TS3 Pak on 6/19 and they updated the order with "Awaiting Shipment" on 6/20. Unfortunately, no updates since then. Any best guesses as to when I might receive the order?

I ordered mine 6/3 and they shipped 6/19. Seems like 2-3 weeks is the norm. Might be further delayed with the holiday. 

5 hours ago, vandyfan said:

Correct. I (so far) can flight them down or up, they feel great and made me feel like I had a new set of clubs. Biggest downside is now I am re-evaluating ALL the shafts in my bag, notably my driver shaft now. 

What did you have before?  So you have the axioms and TS1? Nice. Im thinking that or rapid tapers.  Where did you get the axioms from? 

any good fitters around here you recommend?

Edited by Minarets

3 minutes ago, TexanIIDriver said:

Anyone have a way to reach Britt directly via email?  I have a question for him I don't want to post openly on the RM forum.

You can send him a private message on the RM forum. Once you login click on the upper right tab. Then private message, message menu, new message. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Justin962 said:

I ordered the TS3 Pak on 6/19 and they updated the order with "Awaiting Shipment" on 6/20. Unfortunately, no updates since then. Any best guesses as to when I might receive the order?

I ordered the TS3s with DG120 shafts on 6/14, they updated it to "Awaiting Shipment" on 6/17, and they just shipped today. Yours should be soon!

14 hours ago, Justin962 said:

I ordered a new KE4 Pro IST 3W on 6/4.  The ticket "printed" on 6/7 and shipped on 6/24.  I had called and they said they are 10-15 business days out from when the ticket prints to when they build the club.  I received it on 6/27.  

21 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Well, I've jumped in the sandbox again.  Put in an order for TS4 clubheads, 3-GW.  Will be building them myself, with shafts I've got on hand.

You won't regret it Ed.  I shot 75 with them yesterday.   Two of my best rounds this year have been with them..  I had an opportunity to bend them back from being 2 degrees upright from the original owner.    They are very, very good!    I had played the TS-1IM for three rounds before yesterday and was convinced how good they are... then played the -4's.

I don't know that I have sacrificed much in terms of length.   A bit more traditional in the shorter irons helps with club selection IMO.   I hit two really good #5 irons yesterday.    I was waffling about even getting one!

I look forward to hearing how they go for you.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Minarets said:

What did you have before?  So you have the axioms and TS1? Nice. Im thinking that or rapid tapers.  Where did you get the axioms from? 

I had FST 125 Stiff in there. The feel on those is quite harsh. I went and got fitted at The Tour Van at Hermitage and while I wasn't trying to get into the Axioms (due to cost), those were far and away the best. Also hit MMT, Steelfiber and LA Golf. The only graphite option that was missing that I wanted to try was the Recoil Dart. 

• Like 4

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

I recently picked up the game again for the first time in 10+ years and have been playing 2-3 times a week. Was using my dad's old Wilson GE 1200s from the '80s... very unforgiving irons IMO. Got the chance to borrow my friend's Ping G5 irons and immediately noticed a huge difference in forgiveness.

I ordered the TE+ V4 Pearl Chrome Forged Iron Pak (5-Pw) on 6/22, so hoping to get them in the next 1-2 weeks. Decided on the TE+ V4 because it was about $50 cheaper than the TS3 Pak and supposedly quite similar play/forgiveness from what I've read here.

In the meantime, I picked up an old set of Taylormade Burner 2.0s to hold me over and have been enjoying them. They've easily saved me 2-3 strokes for 9 holes and I shot my lowest ever 43 (avg score high 40's).

Was debating canceling my TE+ V4, but I'm gonna see it through and give them a shot. If they're any better than the Burners I would be thrilled. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, mustang said:

You won't regret it Ed.  I shot 75 with them yesterday.   Two of my best rounds this year have been with them..  I had an opportunity to bend them back from being 2 degrees upright from the original owner.    They are very, very good!    I had played the TS-1IM for three rounds before yesterday and was convinced how good they are... then played the -4's.

I don't know that I have sacrificed much in terms of length.   A bit more traditional in the shorter irons helps with club selection IMO.   I hit two really good #5 irons yesterday.    I was waffling about even getting one!

I look forward to hearing how they go for you.

I'm looking forward to it.  😁

One of the things that has gotten me to this point was picking up a Blueprint 4i as a practice club.  I took it with me to the course last weekend, hitting it along side my Golden Rams.  Had a couple moments where I noticed a distinct difference on heel hits.  Started thinking about Blueprints.

Except I'm less excited about shaft options, having to take what I could find, or spend $1500; modern Pings have picked up a reputation regarding reshafting.  Then there's the CG...  the Blueprint isn't horrible, but the Blueprint T has moved upwards a tick. 

Add it all up and it seemed that the TS4 was hitting my spots better than the Blueprint or Blueprint T.

Should I choose to swap in something for the longest club or two in the set, much more easily accomplished with Club Maltby than with Ping.  😉

And here we are. 

At the moment, Rapid Taper 95 may be the irons of choice (never got around to building the STi2 set), but I also have a set of tapered Recoil 95, some Paderson Ballistic 95, NV95, and even a couple Modus 120/105 tapered sets I could use.  Possibly even the 950GH WF set in my Golden Rams at moment.  Options!  😉

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

1 hour ago, NRJyzr said:

I'm looking forward to it.  😁

One of the things that has gotten me to this point was picking up a Blueprint 4i as a practice club.  I took it with me to the course last weekend, hitting it along side my Golden Rams.  Had a couple moments where I noticed a distinct difference on heel hits.  Started thinking about Blueprints.

Except I'm less excited about shaft options, having to take what I could find, or spend $1500; modern Pings have picked up a reputation regarding reshafting.  Then there's the CG...  the Blueprint isn't horrible, but the Blueprint T has moved upwards a tick. 

Add it all up and it seemed that the TS4 was hitting my spots better than the Blueprint or Blueprint T.

Should I choose to swap in something for the longest club or two in the set, much more easily accomplished with Club Maltby than with Ping.  😉

And here we are. 

At the moment, Rapid Taper 95 may be the irons of choice (never got around to building the STi2 set), but I also have a set of tapered Recoil 95, some Paderson Ballistic 95, NV95, and even a couple Modus 120/105 tapered sets I could use.  Possibly even the 950GH WF set in my Golden Rams at moment.  Options!  😉

I am voting on the AXE 95.   Close second to the Recoils!

The TS-4 were very good again today.   Shot 77.   The #5 iron was very good again hitting two great lay-up shots on par 5.   I had an 8 iron from 152 to 8 feet and a #6 iron from 174 to 10 feet.    THe Rapport Core Blue are GOOD shafts.   Responsive, accurate with great feel.   I am becoming a fan of this set of clubs.   

• Like 2

On 6/29/2024 at 1:06 PM, taki27 said:

@Colej  @NatI think the TC is a great driver but never tried the Max.  Jeff and Nat (tagged) each tried both and liked the Max much more.  

I much prefer the TC Max driver c/w the TC. It is more forgiving (distance and direction) on mis hits; better feel; and looks better but that is of course subjective

that all said, I am about to sell mine as I am staying with my OG Sim. The Sim is not better - it is a tad less forgiving - but I am just more comfortable with the Sim

so if anyone is in the market for a TC Max DM me

• Like 2

Driver: SIM 9*, Ventus 6R
FWs: Maltby ke4 ist 17*, kura kage silver 65 R; ke4 ist pro 20*, Maltby fw shaft

4H: Srixon ZX, Evenflow Riptide 80 5.5

Irons: Golfworks TS2, 5i Recoil F3; 6i-GW , Nippon 950GH reg (all + 1/2”)
Wedges: Golfworks TSW 52 & 58
Putter: Odyssey versa 12
Ball: Maxfli tour x

8 hours ago, wantacigar said:

Question:  

Does anyone know which Maltby Mallet Putter(s) are most like a TM Spider?  I can't spend $600 on a putter but around $80-$120 is doable for me.  I currently have a blade putter similar to a Scotty

For that price range, you could use the PTM-5 with a double bend shaft or the small mini slant hosel post. 

I just put together a red maltby tour x with a double bend shaft. Feels great to me and really easy to swing on a small arc. 

I have the moment X and the distance control is ridiculously accurate.   it is large and not for the faint of heart.   That said, I would assume all the other moment X (XI, XII, and tour) would provide comparable performance in a spider sized package. 

For what it’s worth, my dad’s buddies tried my moment X and now he and two of his playing partners have all purchased moment X variations and are very pleased with the performance.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wantacigar said:

Question:  

Does anyone know which Maltby Mallet Putter(s) are most like a TM Spider?  I can't spend $600 on a putter but around $80-$120 is doable for me.  I currently have a blade putter similar to a Scotty

The Moment X is pretty big. The Moment Tour heads are more compact. Those are more Spider like. Just chose the color you prefer. I liked the orange XI myself.