Maltby TS2

Popeye64

14 minutes ago, Popeye64 said:

The Moment X is pretty big. The Moment Tour heads are more compact. Those are more Spider like. Just chose the color you prefer. I liked the orange XI myself. 

I have the Orange XI with the short slant neck hosel and the Maltby pure track aluminum/steel shaft. Love everything about it. Smooth, great distance control and confidence inspiring on short putts. Highly recommend, especially if you like a (really) heavy putter-which I do.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

My TS4 clubheads have arrived.  Decided to check a couple of the clubheads for tapered shaft fit, they seem to seat pretty well at the bottom of the bore.

Also dry fit one of my prepped-for-install-in-STi2-clubhead Rapid Taper shafts, and it seems the TS4 have a slightly shorter bore depth than the STi2.  Or so it was for the TS4 PW and GW clubheads.  

Playing golf in a couple hours, I'll have to build these later.  Maybe even get them ready to use for my Sunday round.  If weather permits; we're having unseemly amounts of rain here...

Can’t wait for your thoughts. I’ve been in Vegas for 10 days so no rain and sadly no golf but headed home to Nashville where it looks like a lot of rain.  I’m clearing some funds soon and really want some Axioms and TS1 IM or TS4.  I may have to buy a 7i of each.   I fear the TS4 won’t be as forgiving as I’d like.  I love my P790 now.  

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

3 hours ago, Minarets said:

Can’t wait for your thoughts. I’ve been in Vegas for 10 days so no rain and sadly no golf but headed home to Nashville where it looks like a lot of rain.  I’m clearing some funds soon and really want some Axioms and TS1 IM or TS4.  I may have to buy a 7i of each.   I fear the TS4 won’t be as forgiving as I’d like.  I love my P790 now.  

I have had no such experience. The TS4s have been every bit as good and forgiving as their TS3 counterparts, at least with my swing. Can't condone enough. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

While I give the nod to feel to the T’s-4, forgiveness definitely to the T’s-1M, and for me and my swing, not even close. I originally was going to do a mixed set of 3s and 4s, but loved the 1Ms so much did a full set of them. After 6 months, built a second set of them for my winter home bag. Really great set of irons for me for consistency, forgiveness, looks, feel and spin retention. Blew the apex pro w apex standard 4 and 5 iron out of my bag. Better looks than the Apex pro and even more forgiving than the standard Apex, hell of a combo.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Those last 2 posts just further my confusion. lol.  

I just love the look of those TS4 but know the forgiveness of the TS1 IM will actually be better.  Just with the nature of their type iron.  Hollow bodies gotta be more forgiving than solid forged blades.  And as much as I want looks the IMs don’t look like chunky irons or at least haven’t read that. Haven’t seen them in person yet. 

I play 2021 P790 with MMT 105 S now and love their forgiveness.   It’s why I’m leaning IMs 

I didn't realize at the time of ordering the TS3 Pak that the TT Score shafts can be cut to both regular and stiff flex. If I asked for a stiff flex, but also am having them lengthened by 1", would that naturally shift the flex from "stiff" to "regular" due to the added length? Or will they likely cut them to be extra stiff & then have the added length soften the flex?

I swing my 7 iron at 80mph, so I'm not exactly certain if I belong in a true stiff or regular flex. If I have the option for either, what would you recommend?

Thanks!

On 7/5/2024 at 10:20 AM, NRJyzr said:

My TS4 clubheads have arrived.  Decided to check a couple of the clubheads for tapered shaft fit, they seem to seat pretty well at the bottom of the bore.

Also dry fit one of my prepped-for-install-in-STi2-clubhead Rapid Taper shafts, and it seems the TS4 have a slightly shorter bore depth than the STi2.  Or so it was for the TS4 PW and GW clubheads.  

Playing golf in a couple hours, I'll have to build these later.  Maybe even get them ready to use for my Sunday round.  If weather permits; we're having unseemly amounts of rain here...

Turned out the "shorter bore depth" was just something with one shaft and one hosel; that one shaft didn't quite seat, but when I put it in the appropriate clubhead, it was fine, to the full expected depth.

Sadly, not going to be able to get these ready for tomorrow's golf.  😞

Will have to wait for next weekend's entertainment

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

4 hours ago, Justin962 said:

I didn't realize at the time of ordering the TS3 Pak that the TT Score shafts can be cut to both regular and stiff flex. If I asked for a stiff flex, but also am having them lengthened by 1", would that naturally shift the flex from "stiff" to "regular" due to the added length? Or will they likely cut them to be extra stiff & then have the added length soften the flex?

I swing my 7 iron at 80mph, so I'm not exactly certain if I belong in a true stiff or regular flex. If I have the option for either, what would you recommend?

Thanks!

The TTScore can't be trimmed to XStiff. Cutting that much off screws with the overall dynamics of the shaft. 

So by building them to S flex and adding an inch will not drop them all the way down to R flex. With your swing speed building the TT Score to S and the added length should be a great combo. The TT Score isn't an overly stiff shaft to begin with but holds up to a healthy swing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Coatesy76 said:

Hi all new user here... I have literally read this entire thread and it has encouraged me to go ahead and buy the ts3 irons built with dart v 105 f4's. I'm in Vegas and play as much as I can, but feel the ts3 are going to provide that little extra forgiveness when my game is not on point. Love the comradery and helpfulness of all in this thread. Excited to give these a shot!

Good luck with the heat out there right now.  Just left Vegas yesterday after being there for 10 days for my kids competition.   Jesus it was hot.  

2 hours ago, Coatesy76 said:

Hi all new user here... I have literally read this entire thread and it has encouraged me to go ahead and buy the ts3 irons built with dart v 105 f4's. I'm in Vegas and play as much as I can, but feel the ts3 are going to provide that little extra forgiveness when my game is not on point. Love the comradery and helpfulness of all in this thread. Excited to give these a shot!

Maltby should give you a discount as a reward for reading every post in this thread. 

• Like 3

While waiting for my TE+ V4 order to be fulfilled (ordered on 6/22), I got impatient and ordered a used set of KE4 Maxes off eBay. Took them to the range a few nights ago and hit the course last night for 9 holes. I'm not kidding when I say I didn't have a single bad iron shot the entire round. My miss tends to be thinning/topping the ball, and while I still thinned a few shots, they were straight and with distance—very forgiving. Shot my best-ever 41.

So now my question is, should I cancel my TE+ V4 order? I was looking for a set that I could grow into and continue to develop my game. Can someone explain the playability differences between the TE+ V4 and the KE4 Maxes? I understand the Max are more forgiving, but I'm curious about what (if anything) I would gain with the TE+? Although I have to say I think I would prefer the look of the V4s, that pearl finish looks incredible.

Screenshot2024-07-07at11_32_59AM.png.411e8b33f925457bcdc45aa6bfe9cbb0.png

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Justin962 said:

Thanks!

Keep in mind, that when you cut for flex, you cut from the tip.  For length, you cut from the butt.  Cutting for length from the butt has very little effect on flex.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, donkeynice said:

While waiting for my TE+ V4 order to be fulfilled (ordered on 6/22), I got impatient and ordered a used set of KE4 Maxes off eBay. Took them to the range a few nights ago and hit the course last night for 9 holes. I'm not kidding when I say I didn't have a single bad iron shot the entire round. My miss tends to be thinning/topping the ball, and while I still thinned a few shots, they were straight and with distance—very forgiving. Shot my best-ever 41.

So now my question is, should I cancel my TE+ V4 order? I was looking for a set that I could grow into and continue to develop my game. Can someone explain the playability differences between the TE+ V4 and the KE4 Maxes? I understand the Max are more forgiving, but I'm curious about what (if anything) I would gain with the TE+? Although I have to say I think I would prefer the look of the V4s, that pearl finish looks incredible.

If you are playing well with the KE4 Max, why would you want to make the game harder?  They certainly will not inhibit you from developing your game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, donkeynice said:

Forged and sexy is what you lose.....lots of folks would also suggest workability and feel.  IMO feel is vastly overrated as it relates to performance.  You have to decide on workability, but IMO there will be minimal difference, it's more about a good fit and being able to hit the shots you require!  You have a good "problem" on your hands🙃

Edited by ode
  • Like 4

Winn style grips make more a feel difference for me than does club head construction. My KE4 Tour+ with DriTec grips feel softer than any of the forged  heads I have tried over the past four years which is 5 different heads.

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

11 hours ago, Coatesy76 said:

You will love them.   Great irons!    

• Like 2

12 hours ago, donkeynice said:

Give them a call on Monday. If the order hasn't been touched yet as far as the build, (but that point may have already passed), I myself would see if they will change it to a single club of the TE+ instead. Then you can compare them with less potential regret. Don't know if you ordered a club-pak, but if you want, they usually will note on your account that you might be back within resonable time to buy the rest of set if it works, and you would get the Pak price adjustment like if you bought the whole set at once.