2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Hidden Treasures In The Used Club Bin

Gxgolfer

By SirShanksAlot.com
Click for Article>>>Here

Hello again and thanks for checking us out today. We have been talking lots lately about some of the best golf club deals on the market and the idea of buying used clubs has come up a few times. Used clubs are a great way for golfers to try name brand equipment at a reduced price. Not everyone has the resources to go out and drop big money on a new driver every year. Used clubs can be tricky though… for every hidden treasure there is bound to be five crappy clubs. Some clubs are in the used bin for a reason… no one wants them. Others get tossed in because their previous owner just had to have the new toy. We thought we’d help narrow your next used club search a bit by compiling a list of some of the hidden treasures of the used club bin. These are all great clubs that most golfers can find for a fraction of the original price.

1. Titleist DCI 962 and 962B irons - Many people believe that these are the best Titleist irons ever made and I agree. They are both designed for the better player and they helped start the movement towards “player’s cavities”. These sold really well for Titleist back in the day and many better players pick them up as second sets. Worth a look!

2. Callaway X-14 and X-14 Pro Series irons - Think the new X-Tour is a good iron? You might want to try the X-14 Pro Series. These have been a favorite of the better player for years and feature a great combination of feel and forgiveness. Not good enough for a reduced offset iron? No problem. Track down a set of X-14 irons. These could be the best Callaway irons ever.

3. Maxfli Revolution irons - These came in two different versions… the Black and the Red. The Red versions were a bit bigger and featured more offset. Both irons look and feel great. Be careful with these though… they chip pretty easy because they are so soft. Make sure you check the full set before buying!

4. Cleveland Quadpro fairway woods - Sure they look a bit different but they work. These were probably the longest fairway woods of their time and would give today’s fairway woods a run for their money. Really easy to hit off the turf too!

5. TaylorMade 200 Series fairway woods - These still show up on Tour now and again. The TaylorMade 200 Series fairway woods are a perfect combination of feel and performance. I could sell a ton of these if they were still available.

6. Callaway Steelhead fairway woods - Like the Big Bertha fairway woods but don’t want to spend the money? Look around for Steelhead woods instead. The technology is basically the same and they make a great fairway wood for golfers of all levels.

7. Titleist 983K driver - Sure it’s still a fairly new club but these seem to be popping up all over the place at great prices. I guess everyone wants to move up to the bigger 905S and 905T drivers. This club is perfect for someone that wants a great feeling driver but doesn’t want the extra bulk of a huge head. You might even be able to find some new ones around if you look a bit.

8. Anything From Ping - Ping makes good golf equipment and a lot of the older clubs end up in the used bin. Be on the lookout for Ping irons and putters (I’d stay away from most of their older woods unless you are a collector). The Eye 2 irons are one of the best irons ever made… period.

9. Tommy Armour 845 SilverScot irons - These are great irons. It seems like Tommy Armour has rereleased these like 100 times but the original verison can be found for next to nothing. Very forgiving for their size.

10. Mizuno T-Zoid Pro II irons - A great looking forged iron for the better player. Mizuno’s quality forging at a reduced price… what could be better than that? Not the most forgiving irons in the world but a quality golf club nonetheless.

And a few more… TaylorMade R500 Series Drivers, Callaway Warbird woods, Wilson Staff RM Midsize irons.

So there you are… keep your eyes open for these! There are lots and lots of quality used clubs available and it would take days to list them all but these are some of our favorites. A quick note on what to stay away from. Try to avoid clubs that feature “fad technologies”. Things like Fat Shafts, Hump shafts and Bubble Shafts. It’s getting really tough to fix clubs like these if they break. Manufacturers will stock older shafts for repairs but eventually they run out and it makes fixing broken shafts almost impossible. Also be on the lookout for fake clubs. These enter the market on a daily basis and some people bring them over from Asia, use them for a bit and then try to trade them off as originals. Don’t be fooled! Have a great day and we’ll talk to you soon.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would second that about hidden treasures. There is an independent golf shop in my area that almost always has a good selection of pre-owned clubs. Just recently I picked up a Vokey Spin Milled 60* wedge that didn't even look like it had been hit for half the retail price.

The key is to stop by and browse every 3-4 days, keep your eyes open and have a little bit of luck.

Callaway Epic Speed 10.5* Project X Hzrdus Smoke iM10 50 6.0
Callaway Epic Speed 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke iM10 50 5.5

Big Bertha Alpha 815 20*
Mizuno JPX921 Forged 4-6 PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno JPX921 Tour 7-PW PX LZ 6.0
Titleist Vokey SM8 50* F8, 54* S10, 58* D12
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5

I just think of it this way...what if the game of golf was invented one year later than it really was?

then, every part of the game would be one year behind, including golf clubs, and we would all be siked about the Nike Ignite and TM r7 coming out this year!

I just buy clubs for half price a few months after they actually come out, usually one-season-old clubs

if they're new to me, then theyre new

you could also think of it this way: you have been living in a box for the last few years and someone hands you a 983k!

Buying used is the way to go most of the time, especially with irons. Irons today are virtually the same as they were 5 years ago. And there are lots of classic fairway woods that can be had for dirt cheap that work great; TM 200, Quadpro, Trimetal +, PT, 975F, Steelhead I/II/III.

I agree with the author about the Quadpros. I had one with a BiMatrix and my God was it ever solid. And the Steelheads still see use on the PGA.

You can try used clubs without tape and they are sooooo much cheaper.

Upgraded shafts usually don't factor in to the price, there are lots of bargains. The only clubs that I bought new are the 3DX and Spin Milled, and I got those on credit.

There is so much great second stuff that can be bought cheaply. Steelhead is among the best fairway woods Callaway have ever produced, 962 is a great iron and old Ping putters are great. Good article.

Titleist TS3 10.5° w/ Tensei AV 55 Stiff
Titleist TS2 16.5° w/ Tensei AV 65 Stiff
Titleist TS2 21° w/ Tensei AV 75 Stiff
Titleist U510 23° w/ Tensei Blue AM2 Stiff
Titleist 714 AP2 5-9 w/ XP 95 S300
Vokey SM8 46°, 50°, 54°, 60° w/ XP 95 S300
Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34"

Just curious.....I have been thinking about getting a 200 steel fairway wood, like this thread is saying how it is a "hidden treasure". What I am wondering is, are there two different types, like a tour version that was released to the public? I see them on eBay, some of them are lik 75-100, and others are just 9.99. Also, could it be just the shaft?

Thanks, I am a new member here and I love it!

62419[/snapback]

Hi and Welcome :tongue:

You should jump to the 'Domestic....' forum and start a new topic on this - better chance for replies

cheers,

My bag
TM SIM2 Max driver, G425 Max woods, Titleist 818 hybrid, Srixon Z565 irons, Vokey SM7 wedges, Yes Tracy III putter

• 2 weeks later...

A great topic.

Why go with new and unproven equipment when their is great used equipment available.

I would like to add 1st generation Hogan Edge irons and Ping Eye 2 irons to the list. I am still looking for a new/used Ping Eye 2 L Wedge.

Gary

Click for Article>>>Here

Hello again and thanks for checking us out today. We have been talking lots lately about some of the best golf club deals on the market and the idea of buying used clubs has come up a few times. Used clubs are a great way for golfers to try name brand equipment at a reduced price. Not everyone has the resources to go out and drop big money on a new driver every year. Used clubs can be tricky though… for every hidden treasure there is bound to be five crappy clubs. Some clubs are in the used bin for a reason… no one wants them. Others get tossed in because their previous owner just had to have the new toy. We thought we’d help narrow your next used club search a bit by compiling a list of some of the hidden treasures of the used club bin. These are all great clubs that most golfers can find for a fraction of the original price.

1. Titleist DCI 962 and 962B irons - Many people believe that these are the best Titleist irons ever made and I agree. They are both designed for the better player and they helped start the movement towards “player’s cavities”. These sold really well for Titleist back in the day and many better players pick them up as second sets. Worth a look!

2. Callaway X-14 and X-14 Pro Series irons - Think the new X-Tour is a good iron? You might want to try the X-14 Pro Series. These have been a favorite of the better player for years and feature a great combination of feel and forgiveness. Not good enough for a reduced offset iron? No problem. Track down a set of X-14 irons. These could be the best Callaway irons ever.

3. Maxfli Revolution irons - These came in two different versions… the Black and the Red. The Red versions were a bit bigger and featured more offset. Both irons look and feel great. Be careful with these though… they chip pretty easy because they are so soft. Make sure you check the full set before buying!

4. Cleveland Quadpro fairway woods - Sure they look a bit different but they work. These were probably the longest fairway woods of their time and would give today’s fairway woods a run for their money. Really easy to hit off the turf too!

5. TaylorMade 200 Series fairway woods - These still show up on Tour now and again. The TaylorMade 200 Series fairway woods are a perfect combination of feel and performance. I could sell a ton of these if they were still available.

6. Callaway Steelhead fairway woods - Like the Big Bertha fairway woods but don’t want to spend the money? Look around for Steelhead woods instead. The technology is basically the same and they make a great fairway wood for golfers of all levels.

7. Titleist 983K driver - Sure it’s still a fairly new club but these seem to be popping up all over the place at great prices. I guess everyone wants to move up to the bigger 905S and 905T drivers. This club is perfect for someone that wants a great feeling driver but doesn’t want the extra bulk of a huge head. You might even be able to find some new ones around if you look a bit.

8. Anything From Ping - Ping makes good golf equipment and a lot of the older clubs end up in the used bin. Be on the lookout for Ping irons and putters (I’d stay away from most of their older woods unless you are a collector). The Eye 2 irons are one of the best irons ever made… period.

9. Tommy Armour 845 SilverScot irons - These are great irons. It seems like Tommy Armour has rereleased these like 100 times but the original verison can be found for next to nothing. Very forgiving for their size.

10. Mizuno T-Zoid Pro II irons - A great looking forged iron for the better player. Mizuno’s quality forging at a reduced price… what could be better than that? Not the most forgiving irons in the world but a quality golf club nonetheless.

And a few more… TaylorMade R500 Series Drivers, Callaway Warbird woods, Wilson Staff RM Midsize irons.

So there you are… keep your eyes open for these! There are lots and lots of quality used clubs available and it would take days to list them all but these are some of our favorites. A quick note on what to stay away from. Try to avoid clubs that feature “fad technologies”. Things like Fat Shafts, Hump shafts and Bubble Shafts. It’s getting really tough to fix clubs like these if they break. Manufacturers will stock older shafts for repairs but eventually they run out and it makes fixing broken shafts almost impossible. Also be on the lookout for fake clubs. These enter the market on a daily basis and some people bring them over from Asia, use them for a bit and then try to trade them off as originals. Don’t be fooled! Have a great day and we’ll talk to you soon.

62175[/snapback]

Another great article! I had forget about the Quadpro fairway woods. Yes those clubs are among the best from its time. I still have mine sitting in my garage. It was really long and solid but then I wanted to try an Ashton and well, it went from that to another club to another club and now Im thinking the cleveland might make another come back. Thanks for the article it save me from going to buy another club. :tongue:

Brad

Absolutely true! Great article and great point. being the club ho that I am. Whenever I go into my local superstore, which carries everything i always make a B line to the used area. They have a huge rack of used woods, and irons and 10 percent of it is super stuff. Just the other day i saw a 983K 9.5 with a GD YS6.1 in very good condition for only $89.00, they still have a 510TP with the silver and red shaft sitting there for about 180 bucks, retail new was about 500. . I'm like , wow! There is also something about used stuff that attracts me as well. I once was in a Nevada Bobs back about 10 years ago and found a barely used "J's profession weapon" (Bridgestone), 3 wood, which i picked up I think for under 100 bucks, which ended up in my bag for about 10 years.

Absolutely true!  Great article and great point.  being the club ho that I am. Whenever I go into my local superstore, which carries everything i always make a B line to the used area. They have a huge rack of used woods, and irons and 10 percent of it is super stuff. Just the other day i saw a 983K 9.5 with a GD YS6.1 in very good condition for only $89.00, they still have a 510TP with the silver and red shaft sitting there for about 180 bucks, retail new was about 500. .  I'm like , wow!  There is also something about used stuff that attracts me as well.  I once was in a Nevada Bobs back about 10 years ago and found a barely used "J's profession weapon" (Bridgestone), 3 wood, which i picked up I think for under 100 bucks, which ended up in my bag for about 10 years.

69200[/snapback]

That's the first thing I look at too, used clubs. As long as someone is willing to spend a couple minutes looking through all the crap to find the good stuff, amazing deals can be found. Right now is prime as well, everything is marked down big time for end of season clearouts.

About 4 months ago I picked up a used Eye 2 SW (no plus) is great shape for $60 CAN. How sweet is that!?!?!

Click for Article>>>Here

2. Callaway X-14 and X-14 Pro Series irons - Think the new X-Tour is a good iron? You might want to try the X-14 Pro Series. These have been a favorite of the better player for years and feature a great combination of feel and forgiveness. Not good enough for a reduced offset iron? No problem. Track down a set of X-14 irons. These could be the best Callaway irons ever....

62175[/snapback]

Just picked up a set (3-pw) of Callaway X-14 pros w/ rifles for $150. They are in decent shape. Not sure about the shafts (rifle regulars) but for $150 I can sell them with no real risk. Thanks for the heads up.