2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

MchSt805's What's In The Bag

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeez, what is this? A WITB? or A "What have i sold" thread? lol

You have had some nice stuff man, quite a collection. i saw that bettinardi c-03 and i did a fist pump...then i saw "sold"..lol

If you ever need a fellow michigander to help take some of this stuff off your hands let me know =]

Brian

NG360 GPS

Oooh, nice addition with the mizuno combo set. They look great.

Question: Where's you get the blue Odyssey headcover? I thought they were for sale on their site, but I can't find them.

Actually sold the Mizuno's pictured above for a set in a little better condition. They're getting reshafted right now, and hopefully I'll get some pics up here eventually.

Sent a PM on the Odyssey cover.

Jeez, what is this? A WITB? or A "What have i sold" thread? lol

You have had some nice stuff man, quite a collection. i saw that bettinardi c-03 and i did a fist pump...then i saw "sold"..lol

If you ever need a fellow michigander to help take some of this stuff off your hands let me know =]

Brian

I've definitely been through a few clubs in the past year. The C-03H never saw grass actually, just made some winter carpet putts. Sold basically everything off to fund the new purchases. Maybe I'll get some other 'project' putters in here come Spring or so.

Driver: Ping G30
3-Wood: Ping G30
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro
Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal Pro
Wedges: Scratch 1018
Putter: Scotty Cameron Red X5

(TRADED) Added the Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21* 3 to my iron set. Has the stock graphite shaft right now, might switch it out for the matching 5.5 if it doesn't work as well.

CIMG1914.jpg

Click on the little images to view full size:

th_CIMG1912.jpg th_CIMG1911.jpg

(SOLD) Filled in my empty hybrid spot with a Taylor Made Burner Rescue 19*. Just the stock shaft, but it's light how I like it.

06/05/08 Edit --- Well sort of a funny story behind this one. Someone I know out at my local course saw me on the range and said he really like the Burner hybrid I had and wanted to give it a shot if he could. I was a little hesitant, but let him hit it. Within just a few balls, he took one off the top of it bad (he was teeing it up like a half inch!). It wasn't like a little ball scuff, it literally took the finish off it in about 3 streaks a good inch long. Does it again near the toe within a couple more shots. He decided he wanted to give me the money for it seeings how he felt bad, but he really did like the club too...so that's good I guess. I let him take it, so I'm in the search for something to fill the slot again.

CIMG1922.jpg

th_CIMG1925.jpg th_CIMG1924.jpg th_CIMG1923.jpg

Are we ever gonna see pics of those new irons?

Curious as to what you did to them...

By the way, thanks again for the irons. Should work out awesome! I've got a guy who does club work for me, and he is switching out the PX 6.0's for my Rifle Flighted 5.5's. I told him to take his time, no big deal. They will hopefully be done this weekend he said. Pics should be up soon.

(SOLD) Finally got the shafts installed on my new irons. This should be the set I'm playing for quite awhile, Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21* (3), MP-60 (4-6), MP-32 (7-PW). 4-PW shafted with Rifle Flighted 5.5's, the 3 iron has the stock graphite right now, but that will most likely be switched out soon to either the matching 5.5 or a different graphite. Blue and Black Golf Pride Multi-Compound grips. All paintfill was removed by the previous owner, and I'll be doing some custom fills myself soon. As you can see the 4 iron has some testing done on it already.

CIMG1944.jpg

th_CIMG1938.jpg th_CIMG1946.jpg th_CIMG1934.jpg

MchSt805...

You are a Putter Guru. You are an inspiration to myself and many other wanna-be putter geeks out here on golfwrx.

That being said, I need you to find me another Scotty Newport two like the ones you have bought and sold, btw I like the oil can finish. Anyways, work your magic and perhaps I will buy one through you...

Also what kind of paint are you using to fill in the mizuno's??

Thanks a bunch

Stocki11

MchSt805...

You are a Putter Guru. You are an inspiration to myself and many other wanna-be putter geeks out here on golfwrx.

That being said, I need you to find me another Scotty Newport two like the ones you have bought and sold, btw I like the oil can finish. Anyways, work your magic and perhaps I will buy one through you...

Also what kind of paint are you using to fill in the mizuno's??

Thanks a bunch

Stocki11

I personally use Testors model paint. Just dab it in with area needed with a toothpick or such, let dry over night, and clean up the excess around the edges carefully with a little paint thinner.

An Oil Can Classic Newport 2 is usually a little more rare to find, or higher in price than some others...but I'll see what I can do for you. Could potentially find an original Newport 2 and have Oil Canned, but that might prove more costly.

BTW, thanks for the little added humor :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

(SOLD) So maybe this wasn't completely necessary, but I put together a Cleveland Hi-Bore XL Tour 10.5* with a Grafalloy Axis 75-R shaft. Seems to fit my swing pretty well, just need to get used to the 3* open face. Might knock the SUMO out of the bag, as of right now I'm leaning towards yes. Initial reaction is that it feels a little better at impact. No lost distance, potentially gained a couple yards but I really couldn't tell as it was pretty windy. It's got a different flight pattern too. Not sure if that's a difference between the Axis and VS Proto, or if it's the slightly more flexible shaft that might fit my swing a little better.

06/05/08 Edit --- Really wasn't the greatest idea to switch drivers. Got a new one now...

CIMG1959.jpg

CIMG1958.jpg

CIMG1957.jpg

solid bag. hows the hi-bore?

Instagram account

Titleist TSi4 8.25* / Fujikura Ventus Black TR 7-X
TaylorMade Aero Burner TP 15° / Matrix White Tie 70-X
Taylormade SIM UDI 2i / Diamana THUMP 100X

Taylormade P770 3i (at 22°) / Project X LS 6.5 

Taylormade P7MC 5-7, P7MB 8, 9 / Project X LS 6.5 

Taylormade P7MB P / DG S400

Taylormade MG3 50° (at 52°) / DG S400

Taylormade MG3 TW 56° and 60° / DG S400

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH 34"

solid bag. hows the hi-bore?

I used to really like my original Hi-Bore, so I thought I'd try out an XL and went with the tour version. If the open face doesn't seem to work out I'll probably just switch it with a regular XL, but I'm pretty sure I can pull my swing around to manage it. Initially I like it, but like I said I've only got one range session with it so far and it was windy. Feel wise though, felt a lot better at impact than my SUMO...but that could be the better shaft setup for me.

dude swear to god we always have the same clubs. i've got a hibore xl tour now with a diamana and love it. its money in the bank.

Haha, that's awesome. I love the Hi-Bore, think it's an underrated club. Some people can't get past the unconventional looks, but I don't mind it at all. Was a little hesitant at first picking this head up because I've seen and heard of way too many Clevelands coming in at lofts not even close to what they say. Had a 9.5* that actually measured 13*, I mean what is that. Was told it was counterfeit, but who knows. Anyways, this one actually measures right on 10.5*. Also the Axis shaft that I picked up for a pretty good deal, highly underrated. Sure the original price tag of it keeps people away, but it looks pretty sweet too. Should be a fun club to start working with!

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the same bag since I started playing high school golf 7 years ago. I always thought that the money towards a new bag was better spent on some other club instead. Finally decided to update the bag, so here's a couple pics of the whole current setup. Went with a Nike Xtreme Sport II :good: in Michigan State colors! Only club missing from the bag is the MP Fli-Hi 21* that's getting re-shafted. Would like for this whole setup to last me awhile...

CIMG9360.jpg

CIMG9366.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

(SOLD) Decided the Hi-Bore XL Tour wasn't right for me. The 3* open face was just a little too much for my liking. Went to try out drivers, and was open to any and all ideas. Ended up going with the SQ SUMO 5000 w/ Aldila VS Proto. Essentially the exact same driver I had before the Cleveland, except this years model now. Hmm, maybe I should have just stuck with it in the first place ;)

*clickable to full size

th_CIMG2173.jpg th_CIMG2175.jpg th_CIMG2176.jpg th_CIMG2178.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Still the same Red X5 that I've been gaming this whole year, but I decided to do a little custom paint job with it. Went with green and white to support my school colors (Michigan State University). I've got a white Iomic grip that I'll fill the letters with matching green as well. I think the red headcover is a little ugly with how it all looks now, so it'd be nice to get something that would work with the whole color scheme but I'm not about to pay for a Custom Shop green one. Any ideas there? Let me know...

*clickable to full size

th_CIMG2254.jpg th_CIMG2256.jpg th_CIMG2257.jpg

07/01/08 Update - Got the Iomic installed. Filled it with matching green.

th_CIMG2259.jpg

• 2 months later...
How do you use the paint fill with such precision ?

A little paint thinner soaked on a piece of paper towel folded over a couple times does the trick when you get outside the lines. Can't use too much thinner though because if it soaks onto the paint that you want there, things start to get messy. Just some simple light brushing motions carefully around the edges takes care of it. I dab the paint in pretty generously with a toothpick to do the fill, this leaves it all very even looking. It's really a process of patience, let the paint dry overnight preferably. Nothing makes you more mad than getting some colors accidentally mixing together, or leaving paper towel texture on a not quite dry fill. You'll be anxious to see how it turns out, but much happier that it turned out right...the wait is worth it.

On another note, I gamed this putter all season...and the paint on the bottom looks the same as day 1. I was concerned with that at first. Before school started back up, I played probably 4-5 days a week, wet greens, fertilized greens, you name it. It held up through quite some testing.

• 5 weeks later...
nice setup your irons looks great without paintfill... I would only paint the model's name(mp-60/32) on each head in white then leave the rest as it is. good luck with your new clubs

Jay

Thanks. They've been the greatest upgrade purchase I've made in golf. Struggled with them for about the first 2 months, but haven't looked back since. I still only have "Mizuno" filled in blue on them, but might do a little more work this winter.

Putter number 17 (sc pro plat with the white and blue) looks great in my bag :). Thanks again for that.

damn I dont think even i've gone through that many clubs!

Haha, I've been a ton better this year about buying new things. The irons were set all year, the putter made it through all season. Just a couple other changes here and there. Now last summer on the other hand...yikes!

That's great you're still enjoying the Scotty. Glad it's getting some good use.

nice bag. i cant belive you sold some of these putters without it eer touching real grass...

Thanks. Trust me, it was brutal letting some of them go without rolling after the finish. They were all tested before refinishing though. Some of them were merely refinish projects though, as I knew they didn't suit my tastes before hand. It's a good thing I've got my Byron 006 coming back from a fresh oil can in just a couple days! Now that will get some real grass time. I'll be sure and post that soon.

Hey if you're still trying to fix the headcover, you can always change the color yourself..... just dip a Q-tip in some bleach and apply to the thread, it takes all the color away, and then you simply choose the sharpie you want and can color the thread by touching it with the tip of the sharpie and color bleeds out onto the thread.

Ive done my gauge headcover and my old titleist headcover, and you maybe have 10 minutes if that to finish the job..

its a nice looking putter either way tho