2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Dana Dahlquist's Driver Swing

JeffMann

jcr34

I agree with you - he doesn't have a side-to-side lateral slide of his hips durig the downswing. He only rotates his pelvis because he has no choice - one cannot slide the pelvis more left-laterally during the downswing if the pelvis is already shifted left-laterally at the end-backswing position. As I argued in the post to BeautifulNice, the fact that he can hit the drive 290 yards doesn't prove that a narrow stance and a left-shifted pelvis is the optimum biomechanical way of maximising driver distance. I personally don't think that Dana has an optimal impact position for a driver swing when compared to Hogan/Woods/Scott who ALL seem to be hitting against a supportive "firm left side" with their pelvis within the vertical confines of both inner feet.

Jeff.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff,

Yeah beacuse I am not a tour player and have no real reason to play everyday to be the likes of Tiger and Scott. BTW I would have something to say but I am not about this subject.

It would be better suited for you to develop your swing thoughts after the tour players or lets say Mike on Utube. Which you had done. If its really perfect lines your looking for. I can pick something wrong with my swing every day, so look at Mikes he hits it better than most on tour.

So here you go have fun - http://www.zshare.net/video/3851476078b2b9/

As for me I am going to let this go, so you can focus on your game.

dd22_0003.jpg

4frontwill.jpg

I know that alot of people probably do not know of Dana, but I must say he has given me some great insight to the golf swing free of charge over on his website......Dana knows his stuff it is clear by looking at his students and their progression that he posts on his site...just my 2 cents...hard to argue with a man who is willing to share his info on a open forum....

Beautifilnice

I don't think that it will make any difference if one drew lines from fixed ground points - like the point where the feet meet the ground. In fact, if you look at those red lines, they meet the ground at a point that is just inside the feet - so those lines are actually meeting your "fixed" point requirement.

Not so. Maybe you misunderstood me. I'm suggesting you draw vertical lines from the same fixed point (say the inside of DD's right heel, for example) in each frame. Your lines do not begin at the same point in each frame. If they did, you might get a better idea about how DD's legs/hips are moving in the backswing. At least better than what you've proposed.

Also, I didn't say Hogan moved his left hip outside his left heel, only that he made a move similar to DD's (sitting down) which may look similar to DD's on the right video. This is all about camera angles and camera stability. The point is that the DD video isn't a reliable indicator of what DD is actually doing given the movement of the camera. So the conclusion that his move isn't the most efficient biomechanically is likewise suspect since you don't really know if his left hip is moving outside his left heel.

And I'll still take 290 any day of the week, even if I could be marginally more efficient!

Cheers.

My cleek is sometimes peevish.

Jeff,

Yeah beacuse I am not a tour player and have no real reason to play everyday to be the likes of Tiger and Scott. BTW I would have something to say but I am not about this subject.

It would be better suited for you to develop your swing thoughts after the tour players or lets say Mike on Utube. Which you had done. If its really perfect lines your looking for. I can pick something wrong with my swing every day, so look at Mikes he hits it better than most on tour.

So here you go have fun - http://www.zshare.net/video/3851476078b2b9/

As for me I am going to let this go, so you can focus on your game.

dd22_0003.jpg

4frontwill.jpg

So Jeff as you said in the other thread what is Mike hitting here? So here you go have fun - http://www.zshare.net/video/3851476078b2b9/

I looked at that DTL video that you provided with a link. Other than seeing a beautiful DTL swing action, what else am I supposed to observe? Is their a specific point to your posting that DTL swing video?

By the way, who is that golfer with the blue shirt in that photo accompanying your post? Why is there a lateral cut-off shift at the left knee?

Jeff.

I looked at that DTL video that you provided with a link. Other than seeing a beautiful DTL swing action, what else am I supposed to observe? Is their a specific point to your posting that DTL swing video?

By the way, who is that golfer with the blue shirt in that photo accompanying your post? Why is there a lateral cut-off shift at the left knee?

Jeff.

williemac....

Dana - so you are apparently saying that your stance was too narrow on that particular driver swing, and that the leftwards head/torso/pelvis shift is not a deliberate choice.

I also noted in another thread that you didn't like this backswing pivot action of Nick Faldo.

Faldo-BackView.jpg

What is wrong with his backswing pivot action? How does it differ from Mike Weir's backswing pivot action?

Jeff.

Its more about his lack of connection of his right arm than anything else. That is a big thing is why faldo does not hit it out of his shadow. That is a huge part in the pivot

I have alot of pics of him over the years, some from japan and his right arm is way too bend and rotated for my taste.

But who am I too say do I have a green jakcet in my closet? All I know is Mac during that era smoked it off the tee.

Not say he was a bad striker of the ball. But he did not rip it like he could had. But as I said before its not all about the swing its how many majors he won..

Mabey Ill take a video of my drive this week and post it up. low ball and high ball

Dana, do you believe that right elbow should stay glued to the ribcage at the top (kind of how it is in picture 2)? How does this correlated to distance?

There is only one way the elbo would ever stay on the side. Half swings

The deal is when your body changes it tilt relationship or (comming out of the tilted spine) the right arm should and will come off the ribcage yet stays short and in front of the right LAT. When this happens is a question of how your loading and unloading than anything else.

I won't go into that area because now your going into another arena.

Here is a picture of a top of the backswing

Mike9-15-07_0004.jpg

Jeff,

To be really fair to the person(s) asking questions please don't jump in and rehash debate. It’s clear they are fully not the same. I will not go into what or why but this one thing not right angle symmetry.

Faldos right arm and hip tilts are not fully what i might say are perfect. But like I said before he still is and was one of my top ten players, because his swing is good. What made him win tournaments was his over all game not his ball striking.

I'll take a stab ...although it appears that nicks arm is in the same relavent postion as tiger and ernie he has not correctly compressed his arm back into his right side at the top...the clue to me would be the positon of the back of the right hand at the top....but getting the right arm in a correct compressed position starts at address...all the answers are on Dana's site, but I believe it takes someone with some athletic ability to be able to sift through the explanations to figure them out....for the carrot a drive out to long beach would be the answer....

This is just a question :

Right Angle in that position is "from what I was told" The distance between your leftelbow/fore arm where they meet and the right shoulder are the same distance at setup and at the top of the swing

If you took a measurement.

Anyone want to kinda clarify this because I have been working on it at the range all summer.

It does seem to help but wow it's tough to work on... so I hope my mind set is clear or is there an easier way to think about it without a mirror or video. You know just hitting balls.

Driver Taylor SIM 2
3wd ping 425

5wd ping 425
Irons I500 Ping 4 - pw
ping answer 2 sig
58 ping eye-2
54 Jaws 4

2I driving iron Srixon New shaft carbon fiber steel
Titlist 1x

this topic is rediculous , Dana is not bennet and plummer he learned form Mac O'grady as did I and Mike mcnarry and many other teachers such as mike bender. They both use what they have learned to help make golfers swings more powerful and repeatable. The first video you posted of dana Im sure Dana would agree with you his stance was a little too narrow and his hips went to far left. So he made a swing that didnt have perfect alighnments, Im sure He could make a clip that is more representitive of what me and mike and dana believe. Which is that the right femur from face on should either stay at the same angle as at setup or slightly increase its angle left. This helps you stay more centered over your feet, Remember you are already shifting alot of weight to the right when you make your backswing by moving your arms and the club over to the right. This is part of the reason for staying stacked or centered so you dont sway off the ball. And again as I have said to you before why dont you just show a clip of yourself demonstrating the moves you believe to be sound, if you arent a good enough golfer to demonstrate just pose the position so we can see what you represent as ideal. then we can tal about the advantages and disadvantages of your biliefs.

And again as I have said to you before why dont you just show a clip of yourself demonstrating the moves you believe to be sound, if you arent a good enough golfer to demonstrate just pose the position so we can see what you represent as ideal. then we can tal about the advantages and disadvantages of your biliefs.

bantamben:

jeffmann's point is not that he can do the move or even teach the move. Instead, he's on a quest to discover the biomechanical principles that describe the Platonic ideal of the perfect golf swing. His inability to actually do what he observes or teach what he knows does not prevent him from instructing folks like Dana on how their swings are not as efficient as they could be.

Of course, he walks a fine line here. I think Trevino said he'd take a lesson from anyone who could play better than he could. I think you're in Trevino's camp. I think a lot of folks feel the same way. JM is sort of like the guy in a foursome who can't hit it out of his shadow but insists on telling everyone what's wrong with their own swings. Folks want to see if he has any idea how to translate what he says into what he does. But it doesn't sound like he intends to oblige.

My cleek is sometimes peevish.

And again as I have said to you before why dont you just show a clip of yourself demonstrating the moves you believe to be sound, if you arent a good enough golfer to demonstrate just pose the position so we can see what you represent as ideal. then we can tal about the advantages and disadvantages of your biliefs.

bantamben:

jeffmann's point is not that he can do the move or even teach the move. Instead, he's on a quest to discover the biomechanical principles that describe the Platonic ideal of the perfect golf swing. His inability to actually do what he observes or teach what he knows does not prevent him from instructing folks like Dana on how their swings are not as efficient as they could be.

Therein lies the rub: how does JeffMann know what is more or less efficient? He doesn't. He is just guessing or making it up, typically with a bias towards whatever teacher, player or method strikes his fancy at the time.

Exaclty - anyone with some skill can pick out a fault in someone's swing - everyone has many. There is no perfect swing that would translate across the board... good teachers could eliminate the faults that have serious consequences on that individual's ball flight. and manage or work with the rest of the thumbprint the player brings. Basically they APPLY their knowledge to help an individual better themself.

So if someone happens to slide his hip a little too far - who cares if he is hittin' it 290. Maybe I better tell Jack to tuck his elbow in - he is not staying connected... I could hear him now " that elbow won me 18 majors."

Thats the thing everyone nows what a good swing loos like just loo at the great ballstrikers. The idea is to develop a swing and be able to demonstrate it in order to help others. That was why Mac O'grady taught himself the same mechanics from his right handed swing onto his left handed swing. He told me he was like a beginner left handed and after learning all the moves he is now scratch left handed. I know he even did us open qualifying left handed. When you can teach yourself there is a much better chance that you can teach others. Just like in science first you have the research then you can make your theories then you can try to prove your theories by conducting experiments. That's what the whole point getting people to play better by telling and demonstrating to them the mechanics that have helped you to hit the ball powerfully and acurrately it also is alot easier for them to take the instruction and apply it if they see you using it successfuly to hit shots. When I first met Mac I know that is what i thought wow i want to hit it like that.

Here is episode 8 from Brian Manzella's video series where he talks about hitting against a firm left side. He demonstrates two things - that one must have a backswing pivot where the upper body is tilted to the right and the head is well behind the ball. This is the fundamental "loading up" biomechanical principle. He then demonstrates the motion of throwing a a ball against a firm left side - note how the pelvis remains within the vertical confines of the feet during the downswing throwing action. The biomechanical principle of throwing a ball or swinging a golf club is the same - with reference to how the body needs to move in space.

Jeff.

• 6 years later...

[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1409935579' post='10070613']
He drops by once and a while... wow was I an idiot when I first started posting. TRIPLE ROFL.
[/quote]

You have some cute posts though! Back when we were all young and innocent.

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon