2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Wie

GOLF FTW

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is she so... Bad all of a sudden.. She never seems to play well at all, anywhere.

Can anyone explain why?

Mentally she just doesn't have it.....Wasted her youth chasing the $$ instead of preparing herself for possible greatness.....Tiger's dad prepared him about as well as it can be done, BJ Wie on the other hand made every possible mistake in her development (her bank account balance aside)....She has a VERY long road back and I for one am doubting that she'll ever come close to fulfilling her potential....She has no idea how to WORK for anything which is why I think she''ll remain a bust.

Cobra King f9/Fujikura Atmos Red TS 60S
TEE 15* XCG/DVS 70S
Adams Idea Pro 20*/Aldila Blue Bayou 80S
Srixon 565 4-PW / Nippon tour modus 105S
TM TP 52*
TM TP ATV 56*
TM TP ATV 60*
Giannini Legacy 3

There is a fine line between average and great.

I think MW has gotten nothing but bad advice from the get go. From her parents and from her agents.

That advice has made me among others at times question her character as well.

Worst of all I think she bought into the hype, she read to many of her own press clippings.

Put all this together and she needs a dose of the truth. If you listen to her interviews everything is fine she is practicing hard her game is right where she wants it blah blah blah.

You can not fix anything until you admit its broke.

From a mechanical standpoint and a physical one her swing just looks real loose to me. Maybe she has not adjusted to her last growth spurt. Its hard to tell.

I will say this I do not think as long as Mischelle is a part time player she is going to fix any of it.

If I was her business wise I would cut strings with my parents , get and agent that was honest with me and probably change instructors.

Put a team of people around her that will tell her the truth and say bye bye to Stanford.

I was brought up to think for myself, and did the same

for my children, its a great gift to give to a child, and one

that hasn't been given ti Michelle. I think she can come back, but its going to take

some heart rendering decisions, and I hope her parents and Leadbetter

can handle them. They have got to give her a break, or risk

chances of her having a meltdown.

I'm pulling for her, so far they haven't given her a chance.

TBD
Tour Edge Exotics CB 4 16.5 Regular Flex
Cobra Baffler hybrid 22* Regular
Mizuno MP 59 5-PW PX 5.0
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind wedges 54 & 58
T.P Mills Professional One 35"
Bridgesone E6 Soft Yellow

I think everyone has made some great points so far. Appears to me her desire was completely manufactured by her parents and perhaps she's rebelling a bit. But now with the $Millions, she feels obligated. Bad combination.

Here's a quote from Ben Hogan I find apropos to the situation:

"My family wasn't rich, they were poor. I feel sorry for rich kids now, I really do. Because they're never going to have the opportunity that I had. Because I knew tough things, and I had a tough day all my life, and I can handle tough things, they can't. And every day that I progressed was a joy to me, and I recognized it every day."

Ben Hogan

So what we have now is a spoiled rich kid who doesn't have to do anything to get whatever she wants. And without the internal fire to be the best ever.

I followed her for 9 holes at the Ladies Open this year at Pine Needles and she had the look of someone that hates golf.

Somehow, she needs to (re)discover a love for the game.

She's burnt out from all the pressure and expectation.

I totally agree that she should have played the amateur golf and perhaps college golf before she jumped on the professional scene.

It bothered me when Nike offered Wei more endoresement money than Annika was getting from all of her sponsors.

All I could say is, the 5 years contact with Nike is almost up and if one fly high without strong wings, one'll crash hard and burn.

IMO, there's no way she stays at Stanford for more than a year. I agree with Kenk on what she needs to do. Way too tough to balance Stanford academics and even limited professional golf. She will just grow increasingly frustrated in both areas, especially in the state of her golf game and her future in LPGA golf. Now, if she was able to play college golf, that would be different and likely a lot of fun for her- too bad about that though. I agree with Kenk's game plan- move away from parents, new coach, rededication to her game, etc. Her parents even moved just off campus to be right near her at Stanford- that's ridiculous, come on, give her some space.

IMO, there's no way she stays at Stanford for more than a year. I agree with Kenk on what she needs to do. Way too tough to balance Stanford academics and even limited professional golf. She will just grow increasingly frustrated in both areas, especially in the state of her golf game and her future in LPGA golf. Now, if she was able to play college golf, that would be different and likely a lot of fun for her- too bad about that though. I agree with Kenk's game plan- move away from parents, new coach, rededication to her game, etc. Her parents even moved just off campus to be right near her at Stanford- that's ridiculous, come on, give her some space.

Many Asian parents ( especially the father ) view their children as their property. Overwhelmingly choking them with love.

Every person she has in her entourage is the problem. Her management company, her coach (seriously Leadbetter, how many of your pupils have a scoring average of 78?) and her parents. If I were Nike, I'd treat this as a horrible wash and sue for all that endorsement money back.

There's a girl who just made it through LPGA 1st round of Q-school who's same age as Michelle, has beat Michelle in match play before, and hits it farther than she does. Let's start paying this girl some attention instead.

Every person she has in her entourage is the problem. Her management company, her coach (seriously Leadbetter, how many of your pupils have a scoring average of 78?) and her parents. If I were Nike, I'd treat this as a horrible wash and sue for all that endorsement money back.

There's a girl who just made it through LPGA 1st round of Q-school who's same age as Michelle, has beat Michelle in match play before, and hits it farther than she does. Let's start paying this girl some attention instead.

Her name would be?

No way Nike can sue!

Having both parents take you to the Stanford driving range and Stanford golf course everyday will not help her develop both as a golfer and as a person. At least Leadbetter isn't out at Palo Alto everyday. He's too busy with marketing yet another product.

She is a train wreck. Many people compare her current marketability to that of Anna Kournikova. Granted, Kournikova is attractive and hasn't won a thing. Wie is so horrible, it's like losing 6-0 6-1 in the first round of every Tennis tournament.

I've often wondered what the terms of her much-pulicised contracts are with Nike and Sony.

Whilst there's obviously no guarantee that a player will perform well whilst sporting your logo or using your clubs, I'd be curious to know if there's any clause which would address the 'I'm off to university for the forseeable future' situation that currently exists.

If I were one of her sponsors, paying out megabucks I'd be a bit aggrieved to say the least. Playing pathetically is one thing, but not even bothering to pursue a proper pro career by choice is quite another.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

Her sponsors are getting attention. It's just for her failings and not her successes.

I'm sure some advertising genius has determined the dollar value of her face time and will determine that is wasn't a complete failure.

Cobra King LTD Stock Stiff
Adams XTD TI 14.5* Diamana Red Board 70S
Adams Idea Pro Prototype 18*
Adams Idea Pro Prototype 20*
Mizuno MP15 4-P PX 6.0
Mizuno T7 52*, 58* TI S400 Onyx
Birdee FTUO #13

I just noticed that she turned 18 as of yesterday. If she wants to she can now tell her parents to sit on it and start making her own decisions. The question there is whether or not the girl is bright enough to.

I have for some time seriously questioned her intelligence and her robotic almost preprogrammed way of answering questions.

Guess we will just have to wait and see what happens

I agree.

Her interviews are simply painful to watch.

For a girl who clearly is somewhat intelligent it seems amazing to me that she is so seemingly inarticulate when interviewed. If she's not repeatedly using the 'you know' and 'I mean' verbal crutches, she seems to be answering her questions as if from a crib sheet.

If interviewer asks Question X, respond with Answer Y.

And so on...

Compared to someone like Jack Nicklaus or Tom Watson, it's embarassingly bad. Okay, so she's 18. But how good was Woods at 18 when it came to answering interviwers with confident and insightful answers?

I hope she fulfills the potential that she had. I really do. But the best way for her to do that, in my mind, is to have a complete 180 when it comes to her mindset, management and strategy.

Getting (and accepting) invites to tournaments where she doesn't belong by right is also, I think, holding her back. All the best players in the history of the game have had to work hard, to varying degrees, in order to achieve sucess. You'll never be a great hunter if someone else keeps dropping meat into your lap whilst you sit next to a warm fire.

In short, I think she's been spoiled.

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

I agree.

Her interviews are simply painful to watch.

For a girl who clearly is somewhat intelligent it seems amazing to me that she is so seemingly inarticulate when interviewed. If she's not repeatedly using the 'you know' and 'I mean' verbal crutches, she seems to be answering her questions as if from a crib sheet.

If interviewer asks Question X, respond with Answer Y.

And so on...

Compared to someone like Jack Nicklaus or Tom Watson, it's embarassingly bad. Okay, so she's 18. But how good was Woods at 18 when it came to answering interviwers with confident and insightful answers?

In comparison. Morgan Pressel give very good interviews. Very articulate, insightful and intelligent. She is also very charismatic and comfortable looking when giving post game interviews. A stark contrast from Michelle Wie it seems.

I suppose it's easier to answer the question 'Tell us how you managed to become the youngest winner of a major and a sucessful tour player at such a young age' than 'Tell us about your third sucessive round in the 80s' or 'What excuse are you planning on using to not finish this tournament?'

In comparison. Morgan Pressel give very good interviews. Very articulate, insightful and intelligent. She is also very charismatic and comfortable looking when giving post game interviews. A stark contrast from Michelle Wie it seems.

bla..bla...bla... I remember her crying like baby during an interview....

LOL. ;)

They teach those responses in grade school? :russian_roulette:

You seem to be a little close minded. So its not really worth an argument. Not the first time I have seen useless replies from you however... :russian_roulette:

LOL. ;)

They teach those responses in grade school? :russian_roulette:

You seem to be a little close minded. So its not really worth an argument. Not the first time I have seen useless replies from you however... :russian_roulette:

another grade school response .... "waa ! ... waa !.....I wish Birdie Kim was dead... I wish she was dead.... waa ...waa...".... lol !!!

She's only eighteen, but seems to lack character. Her golf outfits are on the border of being obscene. How in the heck could her handlers push her on to the PGA before any success on the LPGA. Appears to me that she's the product of a comercialized hype machine. Namely her money grubbing, overzealous parents.