2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Wie

GOLF FTW

+8 on the day, +15 for the tournament thus far after 32 holes..

Leader is -8...

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In comparison. Morgan Pressel give very good interviews. Very articulate, insightful and intelligent. She is also very charismatic and comfortable looking when giving post game interviews. A stark contrast from Michelle Wie it seems.

bla..bla...bla... I remember her crying like baby during an interview....

LOL. ;)

They teach those responses in grade school? :russian_roulette:

You seem to be a little close minded. So its not really worth an argument. Not the first time I have seen useless replies from you however... :russian_roulette:

another grade school response .... "waa ! ... waa !.....I wish Birdie Kim was dead... I wish she was dead.... waa ...waa...".... lol !!!

Since 'she is on 18' is a typical response for your futile attempts to defend a multimillionaire spoiled woman that has done nothing to prove that she deserves anything that has been 'given' to her.

I will also use that defense in the situation that you brought into question. However I think its definitely a little more logical in my example. Morgan was only 17 at that time. And it would have been a devastating situation for any of the women out there on the LPGA Tour. However, you quoted that she said she wished Birdie Kim was dead. I don't actually remember that quote. If you have a link to that interview I would appreciate it.

Meanwhile. Who has proven herself on the LPGA Tour? Lets examine some of Morgan Pressel's 2007 statistics:

8 Top Tens in 21 Events.

7th on the 2007 Money List

8th in Greens In Regulation

4th in Scoring Average(71.33)

3rd in the Rolex Player of the Year standings

6th in Rounds under par (35 Total rounds under par)

Oh wait. And I think she won a major in there as well. Guess showing some emotion from time to time has done her some good. Its amazing how emotion and heart can take you places that money and sponsor exemptions can't. Seems like hard work and some inner drive can do things that millions of dollars and tons of media attention can't. Go figure. This is America, who would have thunk it?

By the way I really want to see that interview line you quoted, my youtube.com is standing by... :russian_roulette:

I followed her for 9 holes at the Ladies Open this year at Pine Needles and she had the look of someone that hates golf.

Somehow, she needs to (re)discover a love for the game.

My wife and I had exactly the same sentiments. At her age she should be having a ball and she ain't.

I agree with both of you. She just doesn't look like she's enjoying herself out there. I guess it's hard, when your strugglinng out there. But then going to Stanford and trying to play professional golf has got to be stressful.

One thing's for sure....whatever edge she had last year being a phenom, has definitely went out the window. Because I don't think she intimidates the field the way she would've when she first started making the top 5's in tournaments.

I don't think Lorena, Suzanne Peterson, Stacy P, Morgan, Angela Park, Christi, Karrie, Julie, etc....would ever back down if they were in the hunt. I don't want to sound cliche', because I'm neither a detractor or a fan of hers (I just love golf), but she doesn't have "the eye of the tiger".

She's only eighteen, but seems to lack character. Her golf outfits are on the border of being obscene. How in the heck could her handlers push her on to the PGA before any success on the LPGA. Appears to me that she's the product of a comercialized hype machine. Namely her money grubbing, overzealous parents.

This pretty much sums it up...right on the money.

In comparison. Morgan Pressel give very good interviews. Very articulate, insightful and intelligent. She is also very charismatic and comfortable looking when giving post game interviews. A stark contrast from Michelle Wie it seems.

bla..bla...bla... I remember her crying like baby during an interview....

Michelle definitely doesn't give the best interviews. It sounds like she is trying to say what she thinks everyone wants to hear.

Sorry, not to enter into this one (it should be it's own subject), but I also have a hard time respecting Morgan Pressel based on her initial interviews (loss to Birdie Kim). It wasn't so much the crying, it was tone that she felt it was unfair and she should have won. Unfortunately, that struck me as very unsportsmanlike and self-centered. It just made it hard for me to cheer for her.

Now, Morgan is a fantastic golfer and she seems to have matured quite a bit, so she's warming up to me now, but that initial interview really put a sour taste in my tongue.

I just wonder when this joke called Michelle Wie will end. The sponsors exemptions will end very soon. People cannot continue to justify giving exemptions to someone who does not even sniff par. Her crowd appeal has waned dramatically since she has had all these questionable antics out there. She is suffocated by her parents and htey are the money grubbing greedy ones here. I am sure if you had handed her a 100,000 contract back when she signed for 10 million, and keeping her parents out of it, she would have been ecsatic! Come on, 13 or 14 yrs old (do not remember age when she signed) getting $100K? Who wouldn't be excited.

Her parents looked short term rather than long term. Maybe they had no faith in her long terms so they felt they should cash in while they could. That lack of faith is manifesting itself in her own game. Maybe SHE believes she will not be good long term.

Their approach is a polar opposite to Earl and Tiger Woods. They did it right, obviously. This was well publicised long before Wie went pro and signed contracts. Why they did not look at that as a model, I will never know (until BJ comes out with his book "how I screwed up my potential superstar kid and made her a has been at 18"). Seems some people do not learn from what is around them.

She needed to learn to win at every level. We have all heard it before from Tiger......he faces situations in tournaments he has faced a hundred times......literally!!! He won, I think I read somewhere, around 250 tourneys growing up. Of course he will face every situation and that is why he is more comfortabel and relaxed in those situations on tour. Look hoe he won smoe of his US Am tourneys. I do nto know details of comebacks or runaways for his US Junior Am titles but I guaranteee he faced a few situations that he does not and partially draws upon those experiences. Learnign to win is an art and Wie is not making art, she is using the paint by numbers book her parents ordered her to paint.

I will not be disappointed if she becomes nothing but a footnote in future golf stories "How not to do it" but if she comes back and becomes a powerhouse, then good for her. I will not root for her, likely ever but I will never root against her. That would be unsportsmanlike conduct. She just has to realize this si her life and has to start taking ownership rather than being a puppet. She is 18....time to say bye bye to mom and dad. Tell them you will see tham at Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Titleist 915 D3 9.5 degree, Oban Devolution 6 (03 stiffness) 65g
TE Exotics CB2 3w 15 degree Proforce V2
Mizuno JPX 825 19 deg Hybrid fujikura s
Ping i20 blue dot, Rifle Project X 5.5
Cleveland RTX 588 56 degree, Rotex 2.0
Ping Anser 2i isopur

Does anyone really care?

....and when will the sponsors wake up? If I were a stockholder of Samsung, I would be ticked off knowing that the Company is being casted in the wrong light. Makes a premier tournament look like a WWE show. Atleast with WWE your getting entertainment. Maybe thats what this tournament has taking a turn to. Never mind the best ladies golfers, just entertainment. And every time Wie gets a super secret, special, well thought-out, justified exemption-it's not golfing skill, but pimping of its lowest form.

I saw her at Samsung on Saturday in person. Her drive was as horrible as it gets. She pulled it straight into cactus city. She had to get relief and hit an amazing draw onto the green from 2 inches off the path. I am no pro... but after seeing that kind of shot from the stance that she had and the angle... she is definitely talented. Is she worth $ wise what she once was? For now, no. She still has game though, but her tee shots just plain suck. If she doesn't get better, it is bad for the game, money for the tour, and a waste of talent.

If I did not so question this kids character I would feel guilty for bashing her.

Not directed at you Ken... just an observation:

I have not been here long... but bashing (and other forms of hate) seems to be a pretty common occurrence on this board. I originally thought this might be due to the size of the membership, but I am on other dicussion forums of similar size (Nikonians) that are far more positive.

I would have thought a "golf" board to be filled with folks that always take the high road. Go figure.

If I did not so question this kids character I would feel guilty for bashing her.

I have not been here long... but bashing (and other forms of hate) seems to be a pretty common occurrence on this board. I originally thought this might be due to the size of the membership, but I am on other dicussion forums of similar size (Nikonians) that are far more positive.

I would have thought a "golf" board to be filled with folks that always take the high road. Go figure.

well most discussion forums can go either way. This girl has shown a lack of character and is a discredit to a game I love. I honestly hope she changes I still believe she has a future. Just not sure it will be one I will enjoy watching.

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/news?slug...p&type=lgns

looks like this guy does not wish to watch either

So now nobody can critisize a pro golfer, because that's "bashing"??

So now nobody can critisize a pro golfer, because that's "bashing"??

Nobody said that. I was merely making an observation. So many posts pointing out what is wrong with other people (pros and amateurs alike - even those we encounter on the course... due to what club is in their bag, their playing skill, or the fact that they do not have the same mindset about golf as the OP).

LOL

But I do and I don't.

I blame her parents truthfully. Two agents, in two years, have quit on her. This tells me that they (the Wies) basically ignored the agents advice (who are normally in it for the long haul and plans things out accordingly)

As far as you anti-bashers ...... welcome to Earth LOL

The whole Wie thing strikes a nerve with me. It's seems to me she represents an attitude of entitlement. A few years back there was a big deal made of Annika playing in a PGA event. Annika seemed more nervous, greatful and cautious during the tournament. Wie acts like she has a right to play in the PGA without ever winning anything, just because she's been hyped. So she's 6'2" and drives the ball 300 yds. A lot of folks fit that bill. Maybe not at 14 years old though.

This girl "bashed" the game I love and respect by feigning heat stroke and injuries to garner sympathy and to drop out of tournaments she was doing terribly in, accepted invitations to tournaments she had no business playing in, disrespected the most revered player in the game; her entourage has a well established history of demanding special treatment at tournaments (as in allowing them on the practice tee) and she appears totally clueless about it all. She deserves a good public bashing IMO, maybe the groundswell of discontent with her antics (and huge loss of fans) will finally open her eyes and extricate her from the "clueless bubble" she lives in.

This girl "bashed" the game I love and respect by feigning heat stroke and injuries to garner sympathy and to drop out of tournaments she was doing terribly in, accepted invitations to tournaments she had no business playing in, disrespected the most revered player in the game; her entourage has a well established history of demanding special treatment at tournaments (as in allowing them on the practice tee) and she appears totally clueless about it all. She deserves a good public bashing IMO, maybe the groundswell of discontent with her antics (and huge loss of fans) will finally open her eyes and extricate her from the "clueless bubble" she lives in.

A harsh reality, but a reality nonetheless.

And very eloquently put.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

Sorry for taking so long to respond to her name. Didn't check the computer all weekend

From ESPN.com - Ron Sirak's article about Wie

"And there are more kids in the pipeline. One of the first stages of LPGA Q School this year was won last month by Ya-Ni Tseng, who is the same age as Wie, hits the fall even farther than Wie and defeated Wie in the finals of the 2004 U.S. Women's Public Links Championship."

Nike could maybe sue if there was a failure to perform clause in her contract!

I hate how everyone with a negative opinion of something is considered to be "bashing". Some people may like Michelle Wie, some people may not. That doesn't make you a basher or a "hater" (another term I can't stand).

Michelle Wie's game has gone to the dogs. Are we supposed to still post nothing but glowing reviews of her performance? That's not taking the high road, that's putting your head in the sand and being a pollyanna.