2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

COBRA L4V - The BOMB!!!!

ROBOPTI

No offence here, but I´m also skeptical of Rob. I found it strange that just after he fell in love with the L4V, he also fell in love with the Cobra UFI irons(the loft gaps in them are a joke), and being a avid poster on bsg makes me weary. A Cobra bias? Again I´m just skeptical, no disrespect and I hope I don´t get a shitstorm for it.

keyser .... One thing I have NEVER EVER had a problem with .. is a post that is well thought out and stated very plainly and to the point - which is EXACTLY what I think your post is ... spoken like a gentleman ...

L4 - My opinion is a matter of record and has never changed ....

Let me address this Cobra bias ... Cuz I had to deal with this one myself with the GRAND POOBA himself ... which PI$$ED ME OFF ... It's no mystery that one of my VERY BEST friends is Pav - a full Cobra staffer / Cobra longdrive team member - and I am pretty tight with a couple other of the Cobra boys as well .... BUT LOOK AT MY RECORD over there .... Pav has been with Cobra for 4 years ... and although he is not a club-outlet for his freinds - I KNOW I could pick up the phone - and have an 18 wheeler full of Cobra equipment 24/7 - ANYTIME I wanted during those four years ... ANYTIME ... but that's not what Brian is to me ... He isn't a friend that I USE for equipement .... And what have I been buying for the last 2 years WHILE PAV WAS STILL WITH COBRA ... anyone - anyone care to guess .... IT'S ON RECORD .. I was buying 460s / LCG / Superjunks / 425s / DF / XL / XL Tour etc etc etc .... NO Cobras .. I would get the occasional hand-me-down from Pav - BUT ONLY when he offered. Did anyone ever see my post a pic of a Cobra bag EVER until recently ???? So if I had a Cobra bias ... I wouldn't have been spending 9 billion $$ on over-priced Tour crap - but hey - Noone had a gun to my head. Pav doesn't care what I use - He might prefer I use Cobra - but we have known each other way too long .... FREE WILL my friend .. I love toys ... and just went on the band-wagon for while ... SO I THINK THAT ADDRESSES THE COBRA BIAS THING ..... I DARE ANYONE ... Search ALL my posts over there for my entire time-period - find one Cobra post - other the ultra crazy low lofted stuff that Pav sent to me to torture me ... I CHALLENGE YOU !!!!!!!!!! - and keep in mind that when you come up with ZERO hits that my best bro was with Cobra the ENTIRE TIME !!!! ... :)

So one day Pav calls and says "Hey wacko - We got one coming that you NEED TO TRY" ... THE REST IS HISTORY ,... I had them before ANYONE ... I even told to crew over there about it privately - that it was a bad mofo ... I got the "Oh - It's a Cobra - who cares" .... I told them the storm is coming and it killing everything in it's path ...... and here we are today ...

UFIs ... LITERALLY just a simple case of the driver works so what are the irons like - and they are DAMN GOOD !!!!!!!! ... I have also stated that I am OK at best on a course .... I always use GI irons ... and I don't want to get any better - I COULD NOT CARE LESS about my handicap ... I like the big dog .. Truth be told ... I am in LOVE !!!!!!!!! with the HiBore irons and 100% intend to get another set (I had a set and sold them) - They are MONEY !!!!!!!!! ... I CARRY Ping Tour-W wedges ... not Vokeys .... I GET WHAT I WANT .. not what someone thinks I need ...

I hope that all makes sense ..... and to you keyser ... I 100% ABSSOLUTELY get the tone of your post ... and again - spoken like a gentleman .... NO prob ... BUT I have NEVER hidden what I think ... and I will let my posts speak for themselves

Have good one guys !!!!!!

and

HUGE HUGE HUGE CONGRATS TO THE GIANTS ... Best Superbowl I have ever watched .. and the best effort by a team I have seen ... that coming from a DIEHARD Cowboy fan !!!!!!!!!!! ..... ATTA BOY Giants !!!!!!!!!!!!!

This driver looks very interesting and worth a demo. May be too heavy though

:)

Some of the posts in this thread have entertained me though, all of a sudden some big time BSG boys have turned, unfortunately you have already lined his pockets enough that he can drive a Lamborghini.

But hey, at least you have found the truth now

Nice response Robopti, and thanks for the Giants shout out (I despise the cowboys ). Looks like Romo needs to find a new girl because he hasn't been the same since Simpson. Anyways, the L4V has now drawn my interest because I've always been told a steady swing with heavier club will generally produce much more accurate results. Now to find a good deal!

I don't know a lot about what creates certain swingweight points...what i do know is I like it around d3/d4. What would a L4v with Whiteboard 63X at 44.5 or 45 SW to? Any ideas. What in SW points does that .5 " matter? Thanks again..just hammering out the details to get my l4v right the first time around SS around 110

Truth be told ... I am in LOVE !!!!!!!!! with the HiBore irons and 100% intend to get another set (I had a set and sold them) - They are MONEY !!!!!!!!! ...

At least you are honest . .......LOL.

You must be punishing the ball with those tumor head irons.

What 's your 200 yard club ? Let me guess an 8 iron may be.

Hmmm...lets see...they handled it like they handle every situation where the truth comes up. They locked threads and ban people. Pretty straight forward and nothing new.

I didn´t see that, wouldn´t surprise me though. I just saw they were frustrated about people not understanding and being stubborn that you can´t compare a heavy head like that against lighter ones with a robot.

Head weight has not been stabilized at 195 - 200 grams. Ping G5's have headweights in the mid to high 180's. Tayloymade tour clubs are for the most part all over 200 grams. I have seen numerous TM Tour heads thanks to my friends at the Broken Niblick and can only remember one being under 200g's and that was at 199. Usually they range between 202 and 209g. These are the same heads they get so this is apples to apples.

I would say that head weight has stabalized in the 195-205 area. But Ping are about the only company to have lighter than that, just like I noted in my previous post.

They say at BSG that they test everything at 200grams, so testing a club at 209grams wouldn´t be apples to apples at all, the heavier head swung at the same speed with a robot would beat a lighter head in everything, all else being equal. But if they test the TM drivers at heavier than that, then they´re lying. Like I said, I don´t give much credit to BSQ tests at all, but I still think testing a heavier driver in a robot vs. a lighter one wouldn´t make any sense at all.

The only weight that is correct for the individual golfer is the weight they hit the best. It might be really light like the G5's or heavy like the L4V.[/

That´s just what I said, but I think that a lighter head than 209 would suite most golfers better. If your big and strong(which I think Rob is), it´s more likely you´ll be suited to a heavier driver head.

8 Grams does not render a club useless, not even for testing purposes. Note the difference and test like the rest. Nor will 8 grams change swingweight by 7 points, a 5 swingweight change is even pushing it.

In my post I said that a std. head was 195-205, that´s 15-5 grams lighter than the L4V, 1 swingweight = 2 grams, 7,5-2,5 increase in swingweight from the norm. I certainly never said it was useless.

I agree Cobra probably went up in headweight to gain more MOI. Thankfully they did! I personally do not like swinging clubs that feel like wiffle ball bats. Maybe they are just ahead of the curve and heavier clubs are going to become the norm.

Cobra put an extremely back weighted shaft, because they want the swingweight to feel normal, so they don´t believe in a heavy swingweight like most will have with a normal shaft. Maybe they´re ahead of the curve, maybe not.. too bad that the shaft´s they have haven´t caught up because they are like boiled noodles in that anvil head.

Golfsmith have done some research on backweighting clubs, and more people gained from it than didn´t. This also leads me to believe that more people are suited to lighter swingweights than heavy ones. It would be very interresting to see more resarch into ball speeds with different headweights with different strength golfers.

I would have loved if Cobra would just have had it at normal 200g weight(would have been about 5600 MOI at that weight) and then everyone that prefers a heavier head could just have lead taped it up.

UFIs ... LITERALLY just a simple case of the driver works so what are the irons like - and they are DAMN GOOD !!!!!!!! ... I have also stated that I am OK at best on a course .... I always use GI irons ... and I don't want to get any better - I COULD NOT CARE LESS about my handicap ... I like the big dog .. Truth be told ... I am in LOVE !!!!!!!!! with the HiBore irons and 100% intend to get another set (I had a set and sold them) - They are MONEY !!!!!!!!!

I also only use GI irons, I don´t really get how people can have a huge driver and still use blades, doesn´t make sense to me. My next irons set are gonna be maltby AST hybrids, MUCH higher MOI than the hibores and a much lower CG, should be wicked easy to hit, and the best thing is they have consistant 4* loft gaps. They also have the CG in the center of the face, not the heel like the hibores.

My gripe with the UFI´s is their insanely strong lofts, and especially the inconsistant loft gaps. There is no way to have consistant distance gaps with those irons. They do have a pretty high MOI and a low CG, so they should be easy to hit.

Like I said, I didn´t know Rob´s backround, so I´m skeptical of what he said(like everyone that I see is/was a rapid poster on BSG). The replies certainly have made me less skeptical, and I thank you guys for not bringing this into a poopstorm. I was also interrested to see how people here would reply to a critital post, if I´d get some BSG attitude er not.

Back to topic...

It's not the VS or the NV; it's a completely different shaft; the NV Protopype and it's in the same category as the 63gr Whiteboard (low spin/high kickpoint).

The protopype is available both as the NV protopype and the VS protopype. Don´t really know how they´re different, but doesn´t matter as I think those shafts would be too heavy for this head.

I don't know a lot about what creates certain swingweight points...what i do know is I like it around d3/d4. What would a L4v with Whiteboard 63X at 44.5 or 45 SW to? Any ideas. What in SW points does that .5 " matter? Thanks again..just hammering out the details to get my l4v right the first time around SS around 110

L4V with a 210g head, would be around D8 at 45", and 1/2" less is D5(1/2"=3 swingweight points). Also remember that this head weight will make the shaft 1/2 - 1 flex weaker.

It's not the VS or the NV; it's a completely different shaft; the NV Protopype and it's in the same category as the 63gr Whiteboard (low spin/high kickpoint).

The protopype is available both as the NV protopype and the VS protopype. Don´t really know how they´re different, but doesn´t matter as I think those shafts would be too heavy for this head.

L4V with a 210g head, would be around D8 at 45", and 1/2" less is D5(1/2"=3 swingweight points). Also remember that this head weight will make the shaft 1/2 - 1 flex weaker.

Actually there is no VS ProtoPYPE :)

And regarding swingweight ... I have 2 shafted with 83X Whiteboard & 1 with an 89 gram Tour UST CB shaft .. Pav has one at 46 with an XX 80X pype ... weight is all relative to each of us ... SW is an industry standard - but means nothing to what works .... again ... who cares how much it weighs ... does it work ?? .... Thats the BS used to battle the truth about this head ... I know of at least 20-25 guys that I have chatted with the are in the mid 70s (gram weight) at 45 and are KILLING IT !!!!!!!!!

How they handled it really showed me what kind of people they were

I´m unaware how those guys handled it, can you explain? Did they close any threads or anything like that?

I´m not a fan of BSG. I VERY skeptical of their robot tests. But I can understand them not wanting to test the L4V in a robot, they have all their heads at 200g for their robot tests(or so they say). It´s easy to bring a driver up to 200g, but it´s not possible to bring the L4V down to 200g, it wouldn´t be a comparable test at all.

I´d also like to point out that there´s a reason that driver head weight has stabalised around 195-200g. It´s what suits most golfers, and what will give a "standard" swingweight at 45" or so. A heavier head might suit big strong guys that won´t loose clubhead speed with the heavier swingweight(and a lighter head might suit a smaller faster type golfer, that could swing a lighter club faster), but most will, and Cobra know this and that´s why they have the extremely backweighted shaft. I´ve seen many gofers hit Ping farther than other clubs, and I assume it´s because they are lighter(same goes for the Burner).

A 209 gram head will be 5-7,5 swingweights heavier than a standard head, and flex a shaft 1/2-1 flex more. That´s a HUGE difference. I think Cobra tried all they could to get to the MOI limit withouth going square, used all the carbon they could, but they still couldn´t reach it, so they had to make the head MUCH heavier, and to get it close to a standard swingweight the used a very backweighted shaft. It´s just so they can market their driver as MAX MOI and call it L4V. 195g-205g would be much better for most all golfers in my opinion.

No offence here, but I´m also skeptical of Rob. I found it strange that just after he fell in love with the L4V, he also fell in love with the Cobra UFI irons(the loft gaps in them are a joke), and being a avid poster on bsg makes me weary. A Cobra bias? Again I´m just skeptical, no disrespect and I hope I don´t get a shitstorm for it.

I cannot speak for Rob, I know in my heart that he does not have anything but pure motives...he prolly could not care less about the middle part of the game!...I do know his game though, Bombs it and then chooses from about four wedges! This is from a PM to him from me, and I quote in part, thanking him for the truth and "Integrity, Spirit and Fun back to the forums..." He is a regular guy just like us and we help one another with an awesome product WITHOUT any personal gain.... i.e. L4V re shafting.

Just my .02

Kindest regards, Shawnee

I never met ROBOPTI, but the one person on here I love to posts of is him. He has answered my emails "selling" me on Ping Rapture and saying what a beast it is and how "ping just makes great drivers", TM Burner TP and so on. I never really see him trashing any equipment ever. If you only read his postings on Cobra, then yes it seems odd and bias, but until he was hitting those he was praising the Ping, Hibore XL, Taylor Made driver's and obviously was not working for them or making money.

Rob - wonderful post... Thanks for taking the high road.

keyser - some comments are better put in a private arena (PM), not the public forum. you have every right to be skeptical, of whoever and whatever you want. i think we should all give you the benefit of the doubt that you were not taking a personal attack, but perception can be dangerous/harmful.

Here's an interesting quote from Cobra's Tour blog .... - To those who are worried about the spin rates of this head .... and a tiny FYI ... The 9* head he used/uses is FREAKING IDENTICAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! to the ones you are all trying now

QUOTE :

Camilo switched to the L4V driver last week at the Buick Invitational. This week at the FBR Open he leads in driving distance after round one. His average drives for round one were an amazing 317.5 yards. He played an 8 degree L4V at the Buick but switched to a 9 degree for the FBR. He felt that he needed a touch more spin in the desert air. All other specs were the same as last week.

Here's an interesting quote from Cobra's Tour blog .... - To those who are worried about the spin rates of this head .... and a tiny FYI ... The 9* head he used/uses is FREAKING IDENTICAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! to the ones you are all trying now

QUOTE :

Camilo switched to the L4V driver last week at the Buick Invitational. This week at the FBR Open he leads in driving distance after round one. His average drives for round one were an amazing 317.5 yards. He played an 8 degree L4V at the Buick but switched to a 9 degree for the FBR. He felt that he needed a touch more spin in the desert air. All other specs were the same as last week.

Camillo with the 8 degree was 13 launch and 2000 spin. He switched to the 9 degree and was getting about 2300-2400rpm spin and the launch went up a degree.

I just recently purchased a L4V X 9 degree

I am a low ball hitter and have a SS of 110 i can't hit the stock shaft now as i have a cast on my leg so i am unaware of how good or bad it is...

but i see everyone putting in the protopype shaft (a lower launch shaft) in but what about for a low ball flight? stick to the stock? but if that is a no go then what? Is this a high launch head? (i like a 10.5 deg head... that is what i have in my burner tp)

Thanks

A.J.

Has anyone measured the loft on their L4V. I used a simple protractor measuring device and it came out to 10.1 in the middle of the face (This is the 9 degree head). This may be why I am launching it so high, anyone else measure theres and what were the results?

Actually this is discussed in depth a few pages earlier in this thread. Bottom line, seems most measure a little higher than 9 with one as high as 11 if memory serves.

Hope that helps.

"We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time." 

Mizuno JPX 900 Driver w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 3W, 5W w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Titleist AP3 4, 5 irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist AP2 6 - GW irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Callaway Jaws Tour Grey 54S & 58x w/ Project X LZ 6.0O

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Tour Lined
Shapland Stand Bag 2.3

Clicgear 4.0

I recently watched a TV show regarding club testing. It was so informative, I asked for a transcript of the program.

[mr.wizard] Well, hello again kids, and welcome back to the show. Today, we’re going to debunk a few myths about golf. Specifically kids, we’re going to discuss ballspeed. With that, I’d like to invite in my special assistant for today, Timmy. Hi, Timmy. [/mr.wizard]

[timmy] Hi, Mr. Wizard. [/timmy]

[mr.wizard] OK, Timmy before we begin, put on these safety goggles. Alright, first of all let’s take a look at what I’ve written on the chalkboard. Timmy, this is a widely-accepted equation to determine ballspeed. [/mr.wizard]

BS = CHS ( 1 + COR ) / ( 1 + WB/WH )

[timmy] Whoa, that looks complicated, Mr. Wizard. [/timmy]

[mr.wizard] Oh, no, Timmy, not at all. Let’s break it down. Do you know what BS stands for? [/mr.wizard]

[timmy] Doesn’t it mean bull – (bleep)? [/timmy]

[mr.wizard] :chuckle: No, Timmy. It means “ballspeed”. The other letters stand for Club Head Speed, Coefficient Of Restitution, Weight of the Ball and Weight of the Head.

You see Timmy, COR measures the efficiency of the kinetic energy transfer between the club and ball. The rule makers in golf decided to limit that number to .83 for what they call “conforming” clubfaces. They actually test faces these days with a measurement called “characteristic time”. According to statements made by the USGA, “A conforming club will be allowed a characteristic time not greater than 239 microseconds (A maximum test tolerance of 18 microseconds is associated with the test ). This limit in characteristic time very closely correlates to the spring-like effect upper limit of .83 in the measurement of the coefficient of restitution (COR).”[/mr.wizard]

[timmy] :listening with a dull, blank stare: [/timmy]

[mr.wizard] OK, Timmy, if you’ll stand over here, I’m going to demonstrate this equation with the use of the theoretically Legitimate RoBot golf machine, known as LRB. I invented it myself. :winking at timmy: In theory, it delivers a clubhead to a ball, hitting the ball on the center of the face, each and every time, at the exact same clubhead speed. You know, Timmy, the center of the face is where the USGA takes its CT measurement. :winking at timmy:. [/mr.wizard]

[timmy] :picking his nose on camera: [/timmy]

[mr.wizard] OK, Timmy. As you know, a regulation golf ball can weigh no more than 45.93 grams. In this test, we’re going to keep all of the factors identical…therefore, we will be using a Callaway HX Tour golf ball that weighs 45.6 grams. The clubhead we’ll be testing Timmy, is 200 grams. We’ll set LRB on a clubhead speed of 105 mph. OK, now stand back, and let’s see what results we get. Here, hold my hand, Timmy. Tighter. [/mr.wizard]

BS = 105 MPH ( 1 + .83 ) / ( 1 + 45.6g/200g)

BS = 105 MPH ( 1.83 ) / ( 1 + .228 )

BS = 192.15 MPH / 1.228

BS = 156.47 MPH

[jimmy] Neato, Mr. Wizard! But what if the LRB turns out a lower ballspeed, like 6 MPH lower than that number? [/timmy]

[mr.wizard] That’s a very good question, Timmy. If the clubhead speed stays the same, the ball weight and clubhead weight stay the same…then the only variable that can change is COR, right? And what kind of manufacturer would have a paltry COR value in the middle of the club face, right? :chuckle: Maybe you’re just dreaming up silly, non-scientific bedtime stories, Timmy. :chuckle: Still, let’s see what LRB figures out if we lower ballspeed by six miles per hour. [/mr.wizard]

150.47 MPH = 105MPH ( 1 + COR ) / ( 1 + 45.6g/200g )

150.47 MPH = 105MPH ( 1 + COR ) / 1.228

184.77716 MPH = 105MPH ( 1 + COR )

1.75978 = 1 + COR

.75978 = COR

[mr.wizard] So, you see Timmy, if all of the theoretical variables for golf ball weight, clubhead weight, and clubhead speed remain equal, the only variable that you can fudge to alter ballspeeds on conforming heads is a dramatic decrease in COR in the center of the face. If the clubhead speed, ball weight and club weight are all the same, and the COR is maxed out at .83, this physics theory gives us the same answer every time. :winking at timmy: Understand? [/mr.wizard]

[timmy] :blank stare: Uh, but how about if a head is heavier, Mr. Wizard? [/timmy]

[mr.wizard] Well, heck Timmy. Let’s use a 209 gram L4V in the test and just find out. :winking at timmy: [/mr.wizard]

BS = 105 MPH ( 1 + .83 ) / ( 1 + 45.6g/209g )

BS = 192.15 MPH / ( 1 + .2182 )

BS = 192.15 MPH / 1.2182

BS = 157.73 MPH

[mr.wizard] So, you see, Timmy, we picked up 1.26 MPH in ball speed by increasing the clubhead weight by 9 grams while leaving all other variables equal. Now keep in mind, Timmy, that a 1 MPH increase in ballspeed equates to about 1.8 yards in carry distance. But there are other factors that affect overall carry distance and roll, like spin rates of the golf ball and optimum launch angles at given spin rates. Spin rates can be affected by clubhead design and CG locations, but today’s physics experiment shows that ballspeeds for all conforming clubheads depend on just a few simple factors. [/mr.wizard]

[timmy] Mr. Wizard, can we do something more fun, like adding a piece of sodium to water, or something? [/timmy]

[mr.wizard] Sorry, Timmy, maybe next week. Isn’t science keen? :winking at the camera: We’ll be right back after a word from our sponsors. :smiling at the camera: OK, Timmy, you can let go of my hand now, but keep your goggles on. [/mr.wizard]

Actually there is no VS ProtoPYPE

I was sure I found both an NV and a VS from a google search. But your right, there´s only an NV ProtoPype, I must have misread protoTYPE. Sorry about that.

keyser - some comments are better put in a private arena (PM), not the public forum. you have every right to be skeptical, of whoever and whatever you want. i think we should all give you the benefit of the doubt that you were not taking a personal attack, but perception can be dangerous/harmful.

Maybe your right, maybe I should have brought this up with PM´s. But I certainly wasn´t trying to attack anyone personally and I think everyone took it well.

I´d love to try this driver, especially with a lighter shaft(but I´m just not aware of an X-flex low launching one in a light weight?)

I´ll be visiting California in April(can´t wait to get away from freezing Iceland for a while! :) ). Do they do fitting, custom shafts, hand pick heads for loft etc. at the Cobra site in Carlsbad?

Rob,

if you like the hibore irons, I´d be very interrested in what you think of the Maltby AST Hybrids.

That is almost the exact same setup as my L4V/Protopype so it should finish around D4-D5; solid. Also; to address OEM's driver head weight; it is clearly the trend to see much heavier heads and based on feedback I'm hearing it will continue. Another thing; in regards to Robo, I pestered the poor guy for a few months to obtain a set of Pro MB prototypes for me and honestly in one phone call he could have made it happen but that's not Rob, he will not abuse his relationships like most will in this manner. He made that clear as a bell to me; if something fell in his lap it was mine no charge. I admire that; he is a man of honestly, no bullxxxx. He has zero reason with no gain to recommend Cobra; he does for the same reason I do; the driver is pimp and it really works.

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

Bottom line, if there would have been horrible numbers as a result their L4V testing they would have put them in huge copies of the trackman screens all over the site. That didn't happen. And as far as Robopti have a special allegiance to Cobra I'll have to assume that there isn't any since he has to buy clubs like Jason Gore's Pro D off ebay just like the rest of us. I know, he outbid me on it a while back paying over $800 bucks for it! I think that would have been the time to flex some Cobra muscle and have one made for him instead. Rob's just a ho like the rest of us who, gladly, lets us know when something is better than others he's tried and it has more weight because we know he's tried everything. :) I know.

;) BTW, I normally play 80 gram shafts but I've played with a 60 gram whiteboard and a 20 gram counterbalance weight in the butt end and it gave me more swing speed and even though the static weight was the same the swing weight was much less. It's got to be a good recipe for this head and something worth trying. Problem is that the one I used was a stiff whiteboard in a borethrough 905s and that won't work in this head so I'll have to find an x.

Some more #'s for anyone interested. Still not up to my normal SS. I hit some outdoors today before I got on the lauch monitor. I had 'em all - straight, draw, fade. Mostly a higher than my normal draw, that seemed to carry quite nicely. I decided not to tip trim the UST V2X shaft, just because the #'s were pretty close to my old r7's #'s...I figured the tip stiffness is close. So I ended up butt trimming it to my normal 44.5" gamer length. I backweighted it also. I got the SW to D1.5. Used the same ball, and same Vector LM for testing. Today's average #'s are in purple....later....Phil.

Here are my "average" for January 24th,2008. February 4th,2008(Srixon Z-URS test ball.)

Cobra L4V X 9.0* w/ UST V2 X @ 45.5" COBRA L4V X 9.0* w/ UST V2 X @ 44.5"

Carry: 276.5 278.1

Total Distance: 291.1 293.7

Ball Speed: 157.7 156.8

Launch: 13.0 14.3

Backspin: 3173 2828

Club Speed: 109.0 107.8

I recently watched a TV show regarding club testing. It was so informative, I asked for a transcript of the program.

[mr.wizard] Well, hello again kids, and welcome back to the show. Today, we’re going to debunk a few myths about golf. Specifically kids, we’re going to discuss ballspeed. With that, I’d like to invite in my special assistant for today, Timmy. Hi, Timmy. [/mr.wizard]

[timmy] Hi, Mr. Wizard. [/timmy]

[mr.wizard] OK, Timmy before we begin, put on these safety goggles. Alright, first of all let’s take a look at what I’ve written on the chalkboard. Timmy, this is a widely-accepted equation to determine ballspeed. [/mr.wizard]

BS = CHS ( 1 + COR ) / ( 1 + WB/WH )

[timmy] Whoa, that looks complicated, Mr. Wizard. [/timmy]

[mr.wizard] Oh, no, Timmy, not at all. Let’s break it down. Do you know what BS stands for? [/mr.wizard]

[timmy] Doesn’t it mean bull – (bleep)? [/timmy]

[mr.wizard] :chuckle: No, Timmy. It means “ballspeed”. The other letters stand for Club Head Speed, Coefficient Of Restitution, Weight of the Ball and Weight of the Head.

You see Timmy, COR measures the efficiency of the kinetic energy transfer between the club and ball. The rule makers in golf decided to limit that number to .83 for what they call “conforming” clubfaces. They actually test faces these days with a measurement called “characteristic time”. According to statements made by the USGA, “A conforming club will be allowed a characteristic time not greater than 239 microseconds (A maximum test tolerance of 18 microseconds is associated with the test ). This limit in characteristic time very closely correlates to the spring-like effect upper limit of .83 in the measurement of the coefficient of restitution (COR).”[/mr.wizard]

[timmy] :listening with a dull, blank stare: [/timmy]

[mr.wizard] OK, Timmy, if you’ll stand over here, I’m going to demonstrate this equation with the use of the theoretically Legitimate RoBot golf machine, known as LRB. I invented it myself. :winking at timmy: In theory, it delivers a clubhead to a ball, hitting the ball on the center of the face, each and every time, at the exact same clubhead speed. You know, Timmy, the center of the face is where the USGA takes its CT measurement. :winking at timmy:. [/mr.wizard]

[timmy] :picking his nose on camera: [/timmy]

[mr.wizard] OK, Timmy. As you know, a regulation golf ball can weigh no more than 45.93 grams. In this test, we’re going to keep all of the factors identical…therefore, we will be using a Callaway HX Tour golf ball that weighs 45.6 grams. The clubhead we’ll be testing Timmy, is 200 grams. We’ll set LRB on a clubhead speed of 105 mph. OK, now stand back, and let’s see what results we get. Here, hold my hand, Timmy. Tighter. [/mr.wizard]

BS = 105 MPH ( 1 + .83 ) / ( 1 + 45.6g/200g)

BS = 105 MPH ( 1.83 ) / ( 1 + .228 )

BS = 192.15 MPH / 1.228

BS = 156.47 MPH

[jimmy] Neato, Mr. Wizard! But what if the LRB turns out a lower ballspeed, like 6 MPH lower than that number? [/timmy]

[mr.wizard] That’s a very good question, Timmy. If the clubhead speed stays the same, the ball weight and clubhead weight stay the same…then the only variable that can change is COR, right? And what kind of manufacturer would have a paltry COR value in the middle of the club face, right? :chuckle: Maybe you’re just dreaming up silly, non-scientific bedtime stories, Timmy. :chuckle: Still, let’s see what LRB figures out if we lower ballspeed by six miles per hour. [/mr.wizard]

150.47 MPH = 105MPH ( 1 + COR ) / ( 1 + 45.6g/200g )

150.47 MPH = 105MPH ( 1 + COR ) / 1.228

184.77716 MPH = 105MPH ( 1 + COR )

1.75978 = 1 + COR

.75978 = COR

[mr.wizard] So, you see Timmy, if all of the theoretical variables for golf ball weight, clubhead weight, and clubhead speed remain equal, the only variable that you can fudge to alter ballspeeds on conforming heads is a dramatic decrease in COR in the center of the face. If the clubhead speed, ball weight and club weight are all the same, and the COR is maxed out at .83, this physics theory gives us the same answer every time. :winking at timmy: Understand? [/mr.wizard]

[timmy] :blank stare: Uh, but how about if a head is heavier, Mr. Wizard? [/timmy]

[mr.wizard] Well, heck Timmy. Let’s use a 209 gram L4V in the test and just find out. :winking at timmy: [/mr.wizard]

BS = 105 MPH ( 1 + .83 ) / ( 1 + 45.6g/209g )

BS = 192.15 MPH / ( 1 + .2182 )

BS = 192.15 MPH / 1.2182

BS = 157.73 MPH

[mr.wizard] So, you see, Timmy, we picked up 1.26 MPH in ball speed by increasing the clubhead weight by 9 grams while leaving all other variables equal. Now keep in mind, Timmy, that a 1 MPH increase in ballspeed equates to about 1.8 yards in carry distance. But there are other factors that affect overall carry distance and roll, like spin rates of the golf ball and optimum launch angles at given spin rates. Spin rates can be affected by clubhead design and CG locations, but today’s physics experiment shows that ballspeeds for all conforming clubheads depend on just a few simple factors. [/mr.wizard]

[timmy] Mr. Wizard, can we do something more fun, like adding a piece of sodium to water, or something? [/timmy]

[mr.wizard] Sorry, Timmy, maybe next week. Isn’t science keen? :winking at the camera: We’ll be right back after a word from our sponsors. :smiling at the camera: OK, Timmy, you can let go of my hand now, but keep your goggles on. [/mr.wizard]

I thought it was funny. :)

Sold my driver today. I will either be getting an L4V with a White Board or Protopype, or the new Burner.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max TD 9° shaft???

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Srixon UX 4 23° Ventus Blue 8

Ping i230 5-U Dynamic Gold 105

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.10 (55°) and 60.08 Nippon Modus 105

Scotty Cameron 2024 Phantom 5.5

Enough with them and their antics. On with the story..................

Got back from the D.C. NorthCoast Show late last night and went to play golf today. Had my brand new L4V with a special V2 shaft waiting for me to take to the course. Threw a grip on it an left excited about hitting outside and playing my first round with the L4V.

The course had gotten about a .5" of rain overnight and the weather wasn't so great today. About 45-50 degrees, definitely going to rain and about a 10mph cold wind. So nasty conditions, almost unplayable out. Yes, I am from Phoenix and a wuss when it comes to golfing in the cold. Playing in the rain here? NO WAY. Why would you, when you know it will be better the next day.

Got to the course, hit a few on the range with it and then went off to the first tee. We were playing the Trilogy tees, the blues, because the other guys playing wanted to. Hit driver on 6 of the first 8 holes, 2 were par 3 and then it started to rain (see paragraph 2), and here is my review.

For a

"heavy hook biased high spin middle of the pack"
driver all I can say is wow. I pretty much hit every shot the way I wanted to, which doesn't always happen for me. Shocking, I know. I missed 1 fairway, yes they are wide, the only reason I missed the 1 is I hit it through the fairway into a wash. As for distance, I was hitting it anywhere from 320 to 350 with great ball flight and not really going at it.

So all I can say is.......Me likey. Love the Koolaid.

In case anyone is interested or cares about the swingweight being too high with a reshaft, I called Cobra today and they said that you can order the l4v x in x-flex (stock shaft) through the custom department. This might solve the dilemma of backweighting another shaft to get a managable swingweight since the stock shaft is backweighted. I just wonder if the stock shaft even at x-flex has a stiff enough tip to satisfy. (Sounds like a porno)

Ken