COBRA L4V - The BOMB!!!!

ROBOPTI

[quote name='keith723' post='887472' date='Jan 28 2008, 05:39 PM']Just thought I would share this info:

I emailed Cobra again to get there list of custom shaft offerings (this is a direct cut and paste)...they would not provide upcharges and indicated go to local pro-shop for price quote on each shaft. (next to some there is an E in parenthesis and I do not know what that means)

Fujikura Speeder 757
Grafalloy Blue
GDI PERSHING 65(E)
GDI PERSHING 75(E)
Aldila NVS 65 (Orange)
Aldila NV 55 (E)
Aldila NV 65 (Green)
Aldila NV 75
Aldila NV 85
ProLaunch Blue 65
PROLAUNCH RED
Prolite 3.5 Black Driver
Rapport Pro-jec 6535 (E)
Rapport Pro-jec TW7530 (E
Rapport Pro-jec 6830 (E)
UST Accra SC65 (E)
UST Accra SC75
UST Accra SC95
UST Proforce V2 HL 65 (E)
UST Proforce V2 55 (E)
UST Proforce V2 65
UST Proforce V2 75
UST Proforce V2 85
Aldila VS Proto 80
Graphite Design YS-6.0
Graphite Design YS-7.0[/quote]

The E stands for exotic and it means they do not carry it in stock and therefore would take longer to aquire those shafts.

I would be really hesitant to order any upcharge shafts from Cobra, because they will not tip anything. I ordered a 8.5 Speed Pro S last year w/ Diamana BB 73X and it was the 4" PTS version and the stinking thing spun like a top because of no tipping. If you do order upgrade shafts be prepared to order it longer then standard, pull, and tip trim to play true to flex.

Hit a L4V X 9*/Redboard X at the range yesterday. Nuttin' special. My Pro D/Blueboard kills it. Oh well, I guess it's an acquired taste. Good luck all.

TITLEIST 905R, 9.5*, V2 S
ADAMS F11 TI PVD, 14.5*, ATTAS 7S RK
SONARTEC HB-001, 19*, JAVLN FX M7
WILSON STAFF 1969 BULLET BACKS, 3-PW, RIFLE 6.0
VOKEY SM, 54.10, 60.08
SCOTTY CAMERON SS LAGUNA 1.5

[quote name='klima' post='887691' date='Jan 28 2008, 07:33 PM']Hit a L4V X 9*/Redboard X at the range yesterday. Nuttin' special. My Pro D/Blueboard kills it. Oh well, I guess it's an acquired taste. Good luck all.[/quote]

I'm not sure that I have seen anyone say that the stock redboard shaft does anything for this driver. Too much spin and too soft.

Get the right shaft, however, and it comes alive. You are comparing a lousy shaft against a very good shaft. Big difference.

I just got my L4V X Speed 9* driver w/ Prolaunch Red Stiff flex today. I played in my normal foursome and I am generally the second longest guy in my group. One of my buddies is constantly 10-15 yards in front of me, but not today, I was with or past him on every drive. He even made the comment on 17 that I was killing my driver. This is my second L4V X speed, my first had the stock shaft, the I reshafted it w/ a Speeder 869, whick was ok, but then I sold it and ordered this one and now I am done. This driver is super solid, if you get one, try to keep the shaft in the mid 60 gram range and you will be fine.

[quote name='Foreleft' post='887904' date='Jan 28 2008, 06:12 PM'][quote name='klima' post='887691' date='Jan 28 2008, 07:33 PM']Hit a L4V X 9*/Redboard X at the range yesterday. Nuttin' special. My Pro D/Blueboard kills it. Oh well, I guess it's an acquired taste. Good luck all.[/quote]

I'm not sure that I have seen anyone say that the stock redboard shaft does anything for this driver. Too much spin and too soft.

Get the right shaft, however, and it comes alive. You are comparing a lousy shaft against a very good shaft. Big difference.
[/quote]
Thanks for the clarification Foreleft. Perhaps I was a little vague with my comment. I know, as well as anyone on this board, that a shaft can do wonders for a head. What I meant to say was, aside from the crappy stock shaft, the head felt no better than my Pro D. If it were a blueboard or whiteboard instead of the stock shaft, performance would have been better. However, I highly doubt that it would give me that mystical 20-30 yards extra carry that so many claim to receive.

TITLEIST 905R, 9.5*, V2 S
ADAMS F11 TI PVD, 14.5*, ATTAS 7S RK
SONARTEC HB-001, 19*, JAVLN FX M7
WILSON STAFF 1969 BULLET BACKS, 3-PW, RIFLE 6.0
VOKEY SM, 54.10, 60.08
SCOTTY CAMERON SS LAGUNA 1.5

[quote name='BrendanH' post='885776' date='Jan 27 2008, 04:55 PM']I came, I read, I drank the Koolaid :yes:

Went to the PGA Superstore this afternoon just to test the L4V. Started out hitting the F/9.0 in S flex stock. I immediately got better carry and roll versus my Burner TP 9.5 with Rombax 7W06. The launch was a little high though - around 16*. Spin was around 3800. My clubhead speed is not very high - just about 95mph. I didn't like the launch angle so I figured I'd try the X/9.0 with Stock S flex. Eureka ! Launch came down the mid-13's and spin stayed the same. I was getting 20 extra yards vs my Burner on the LM. Of course I bought it on the spot :D

Tomorrow it goes to the course for some real-world testing. I'll report back afterwards ...

BTW - shot dispersion was ridiculously tight with both the F/9.0 and X/9.0 I tested.

Thanks to all here at the WRX for clueing me in to this fairway-finder !![/quote]

Well, it seems I spoke too soon. The real-world results were radically different to what I saw on the launch monitor. I just couldn't square up the clubface through impact and everything was coming out high right. I tried a wide range of tempos and managed to connect with a couple of swings but repeating it was very difficult. Rather than take on the expense and risk of reshafting I just brought it back. I'm demoing some G10s now and so far getting much better results. Oh well - I really thought I'd love the Cobra but not for me .....

[quote name='bitt03' post='887305' date='Jan 28 2008, 04:06 PM']How long would a pull have to be to play 45" in the L4v?[/quote]

Hey bitt....I tried to help you out man. I called Cobra, asked for the Technical
Deptartment...asked buddy what the insertion depth was? He said "they don't publish that, and he didn't even know himself, what it is". Hmmmmm....Yeah!! I think they're on to us! For some reason I remember, 1.25". If that's the case, well...you'd need 43.75" for your 45.0". I just measured the depth on my r7 for reference...it's 1.25" also. Hmmm...maybe it's not as shallow, as originally talked about? Someone who's swapped a shaft already would know. Stay tuned, Im sure someone in the know will chime in.

[i]Edit: It may even be a touch less than 43.75"...I'm not at the shop, where I could get a proper measurement. At least a proper measurement, if the insertion depth is 1.25".[/i]

[quote name='BrendanH' post='889389' date='Jan 29 2008, 01:43 PM']Well, it seems I spoke too soon. The real-world results were radically different to what I saw on the launch monitor. I just couldn't square up the clubface through impact and everything was coming out high right. I tried a wide range of tempos and managed to connect with a couple of swings but repeating it was very difficult. Rather than take on the expense and risk of reshafting I just brought it back. I'm demoing some G10s now and so far getting much better results. Oh well - I really thought I'd love the Cobra but not for me .....[/quote]
Sounds like the stock stiff shaft was too stiff for you......either that or the open face of the L4V X does not suit your swing.

Scott

[quote name='sidewinder' post='889515' date='Jan 29 2008, 05:29 PM']My L4V X is at least 1º open....an L4V F I looked at recently was a little closed.

Scott[/quote]

I have an X that does sit open, but to my surprise I had ordered a 10* F for my son and when it came in today and I sat it beside my X, his F "looks" lie it sits more open than mine.

[quote name='sawmillphil' post='889525' date='Jan 29 2008, 05:33 PM'][quote name='averynickt' post='889496' date='Jan 29 2008, 05:22 PM']what is the face angle of the F vs X models? I'm looking at the F but haven't seen a X model to compare to at all.[/quote]
Here ya go...
[attachment=213036:IMG_0609.JPG]

[attachment=213038:IMG_0612.JPG]
[/quote]

Which is which?

[quote name='Foreleft' post='890115' date='Jan 29 2008, 10:07 PM'][quote name='averynickt' post='889496' date='Jan 29 2008, 05:22 PM']what is the face angle of the F vs X models? I'm looking at the F but haven't seen a X model to compare to at all.[/quote]

Which is which?
[/quote]

Both pic's are the L4VX...I was simply showing [u]averynickt[/u] the X, because he said he hadn't seen one to compare against the F.

I have yet to hit these. How much higher does the L4V head launch compared to the Pro S head? Can't decide to go 9* or 10* in the L4V. I'm currently playing 9.5* Pro S (YS6). Got an Aldila Protopype 60-S arriving tomorrow. With the stiffer shaft should I opt for 10* in the L4V?

Also, since the Pype is arriving tomorrow, what shaft should i order the L4V with for fun. Was thinking of ordering the 62g Redboard an inch long and tipping it an inch when it arrives.

Coolaid update! I took the plunge sight unseen! Never did that before!!!!!!!!!
Picked up a new L4V X for $315.00 and a new PYPE 60X for $120.00 all on E-bay!

They came in last week and had my clubmaker marry the two in hopes the marriage would last!!!
Went Friday at lunch to pick up my new driver and it was not finished. My clubmaker called me Thursday evening on my cell and I did not get his message about the damn label position, UP or DOWN!! URRRRRRGGG!!!! I guess I had been somewhat anal about my Oziks shafts being label down as recommended by Matrix. I Played 18 on Sunday with my Burner 8.5 and Altus setup and drove the ball OK by my standards. Got done playing and got a call on my cell that he was at the shop if I want to come get my driver which was close by!

Drivers in hand I grabbed a bag of balls and went to the range. Right away I did notice a difference in the sound vs the Burner. After 10 balls I really did not give a damn what the driver sounded like as it was launching high long straight drivers. After alternating back and forth between the two drivers, it was obvious the Burner was good but not in the same league with the L4V x . I made good and bad swings with the L4V x and they all seemed to go staight. I tried to draw the ball with this driver and that was difficult for me. On the other hand, I could hit the prettiest fades you have ever seen. I played 18 holes yesterday and it was obvious which driver was the winner. L4Vx was 10 to 15 yards longer and staight with good and bad swings and that was in wet conditions. Temp was low 60's! I want to thank Rob for a marrage made in Heaven!!!!!!!!

Bonecracker-

I have the exact same setup coming from my pro. I am glad to hear that it was that good with that head and the pype 60-x. How did the pype 60-X feel. Never hit that shaft before. Did you think you had a tough time drawing the driver due to the face angle or the shaft.

Mine should be assembled and ready for play by next week!!

Bone & to the rest of the OFFICIAL ROBOPTI-L4V-KOOLAIDE-BRIGADE :tongue: .... I am VERY glad I could help & VERY glad to hear you like it .... I know it's my word that made a few of the peeps buy these - and it's no mystery I had to part ways with "them" to talk about it ... but that's OK ... Cuz I felt like talking about it :friends:

I do want to say that I have read the opinions of those who DID NOT like the L4 .. and I just wanted to say that I think those opinions ARE EVERY BIT AS IMPORTANT AND RELAVENT as those who do like it ..... That's the beauty of this forum is that all opinions are welcome - I have ALWAYS maintained that not everyone will like this driver - OR ANY driver for that matter - There are just too many "individuals" to all like the same ... but to those - don't give up on L4 till ya get the shaft right :friends:

and even though I HAVE NO AGENDA ... like I said I had to go down the road to state my opinion - but I do take a little pride that based on my recommendation there are several members of THE BRIGADE who's golfing day is a little bit brighter - Those posts ARE ALWAYS nice to read :ok:

HIT EM BIG GUYS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and remember .. a fact I learned recently

truth.gif

post-40440-1200628204-1.jpg

This is a great club.

Any suggestions for a different, not break the wallet shaft?

Average swing speed of 98mph.

My trajectory is a bit high, about 15degrees

Total distance is about 280.

Thanks

maybe a v2 High launch...

Kindest regards, Shawnee

Titleist Tsi4 / Callaway 4w /Call Hy/ Call UT 3i /Srixon z745 4-P /Vokey Wedgeworks 50m+56v /Cameron Newport 

ROBO, with your experience in the cobra head..better to go 63s or 63x for someone whos 107-110 SS. Does the shaft play a tad weak due to the headweight? Either that or Xcon for me, trying to get my hands wrapped around all the variables of shafts since Cobra took them out with the head! KOOL AID drinking TIME! currently in altus SX r7 460 tour fyi

ROBO, with your experience in the cobra head..better to go 63s or 63x for someone whos 107-110 SS. Does the shaft play a tad weak due to the headweight? Either that or Xcon for me, trying to get my hands wrapped around all the variables of shafts since Cobra took them out with the head! KOOL AID drinking TIME! currently in altus SX r7 460 tour fyi

The headweight does ad "flex" to the shaft - NO doubt. FYI !!!! - There is an X-FLEX stock Redeboard shaft - It will cost you ZERO extra - Pav has one .... Just have to ask for it ... It is a 63X stocker

Try that first - Since it's a freebie .... I bet you will get a quick idea of where you want to go with that shaft - Then we adjust for launch etc - but Pav said it's actually a pretty darn good shaft :tongue:

I would go X though :ok:

Yell if you need help !!!!!!!!!!

bitt03: Go with the PYPE 60X! My swing speed is around 105 and I am bombing the thing!! This driver sure got my golfing buddies attention.

Before the L4Vx I was by them 10/15 yards. After L4Vx I am by them 20/25 yards. They looked at my driver and wanted to know where I got it. I told them that they could not buy that driver set-up any where, or not until I get in there pocket book a little more!!

Oh Man...You guys that can golf year round are killin me!! Got a 46" uncut Pype 60X on it's way. Cut my V2X down to 44.5", and backweighted it a touch. Feels very nice now. I'm still waiting for a mild day to come along...so I can see real world ball flight. I'll see what the V2X does before the Pype is installed. No chance to hit balls today...Windy as hell...High Wind Warning here today...gusts to about 65mph, plus Blowing Snow Warning as well...that's just F'ing wonderful... :tongue: Spring can't get here soon enough for me.

Oh Man...You guys that can golf year round are killin me!! Got a 46" uncut Pype 60X on it's way. Cut my V2X down to 44.5", and backweighted it a touch. Feels very nice now. I'm still waiting for a mild day to come along...so I can see real world ball flight. I'll see what the V2X does before the Pype is installed. No chance to hit balls today...Windy as hell...High Wind Warning here today...gusts to about 65mph, plus Blowing Snow Warning as well...that's just F'ing wonderful... :tongue: Spring can't get here soon enough for me.

sorry SMP, 74 and Sunny just got back from playing, another great day tomorrow, sunny 79.

I could not stand an "off season", hang in there man!

Kindest regards, Shawnee

Titleist Tsi4 / Callaway 4w /Call Hy/ Call UT 3i /Srixon z745 4-P /Vokey Wedgeworks 50m+56v /Cameron Newport 

Ouch...that was painful to read. Sorry man but you gotta move, I couldn't survive without year-round golf

I hope you are able to hang in there

TM Qi10 LS 8.25°, Ventus Black 6X, tipped 1”, 44.75” 

TM BRNR Mini Driver at 12° (HWF), HZRDUS Black RDX 70 TX, tipped 1", 43.75"

TM Stealth+ 5w at 18.25°, HZRDUS Black RDX 80 6.5, tipped 1”, 42.5"

TM Stealth 2+ Rescue 4H at 21°, KBS Proto 95X

2023 TM P7MB (4-PW), PX 6.0, +1/4”

Vokey SM10 54.12(D), 60.08(M), PX 6.0, +1/4"

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2, 360g, 35"