2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

COBRA L4V - The BOMB!!!!

ROBOPTI

[quote name='chtw' post='870802' date='Jan 18 2008, 08:51 PM'][quote name='bustadrives' post='869270' date='Jan 17 2008, 07:58 PM']I think we all need to chip in on some flowers for Ramon/[i]Golfware[/i]'s wife so she'll let him buy a L4V and he can sleep again. He's been in our shop 3 nights a week hitting it.[/quote]

For real, this kid even tried to gaff mine by throwing my headcover onto his 907D2 and putting it in my bag.

He's sick, folks

But yeah, the L4V is money. I am what you might refer to as "teebox-challenged" ;) , and I can actually hit fairways with this in the bag. It sounds AND looks like a cheap hooker, but it has to be the best driver I've hit in a long time.
[/quote]

Yeah, I don't have to worry about you on the tee box any longer... especially after watching you hit that driver on the range!! Man, LONG, FLAT and straight!!

My word!

Got mine today! ;) 1 Week Flat! Now that's customer service. Seeing as how I haven't picked up a club since November...I'll hit the launch monitor later this week. Going to start swinging my wedge indoors for a few days to try, and wake up the golf muscles. I'll be warmed up best I can be for this time of the year. I'll be testing with my 2007 game ball - Srixon Z-URS. Possibly, I may kill 2 birds with one stone, so to speak. I may also demo the Srixon Z-URC, and check it's #'s against the Srixon Z-URS. Looking forward to the end of the week. I'll post my #'s. So I'm asking in advance, please be gentle...LOL. Hopefully, I'll be able to get up to speed.
Here were my "[color="#ff0000"]average[/color][color="#000000"]" #[/color]'s from Arpil 10th,2007.
[b][i]r7 Quad TP 9.5*([color="#ff0000"]Tour Issue[/color][/i][/b][color="#000000"][b][i]) w/Harrison PRO 2.5 X (Tipped 1.5") @ 44.5"
[/i][/b]Carry: [b]278.9[/b]
Total Distance: [b]292.1[/b]
Ball Speed: [b]159.7[/b]
Launch: [b]13.4[/b]
Backspin: [b]3450[/b] (*Remember this was at start of '07 season for me. I may have got it lower as the year went on. I was killing this combo.*)
Club Speed : [b]114.9[/b]

So, I'll see right off the bat if I can top these #'s with my combo of:
[b][i]L4VX w/UST V2 [color="#ff0000"]X[/color][/i][/b][color="#000000"][b][i] @ 45.5" [/i][/b](This shaft doesn't seem to be as stiff as my current gamer.)
[/color]So we shall see. :cheesy: Later......Phil.
[attachment=209865:IMG_0612.JPG][/color]

[quote name='sawmillphil' post='875448' date='Jan 21 2008, 06:18 PM']Got mine today! ;) 1 Week Flat! Now that's customer service. Seeing as how I haven't picked up a club since November...I'll hit the launch monitor later this week. Going to start swinging my wedge indoors for a few days to try, and wake up the golf muscles. I'll be warmed up best I can be for this time of the year. I'll be testing with my 2007 game ball - Srixon Z-URS. Possibly, I may kill 2 birds with one stone, so to speak. I may also demo the Srixon Z-URC, and check it's #'s against the Srixon Z-URS. Looking forward to the end of the week. I'll post my #'s. So I'm asking in advance, please be gentle...LOL. Hopefully, I'll be able to get up to speed.
Here were my "[color="#ff0000"]average[/color][color="#000000"]" #[/color]'s from Arpil 10th,2007.
[b][i]r7 Quad TP 9.5*([color="#ff0000"]Tour Issue[/color][/i][/b][color="#000000"][b][i]) w/Harrison PRO 2.5 X (Tipped 1.5") @ 44.5"
[/i][/b]Carry: [b]278.9[/b]
Total Distance: [b]292.1[/b]
Ball Speed: [b]159.7[/b]
Launch: [b]13.4[/b]
Backspin: [b]3450[/b] (*Remember this was at start of '07 season for me. I may have got it lower as the year went on. I was killing this combo.*)
Club Speed : [b]114.9[/b]

So, I'll see right off the bat if I can top these #'s with my combo of:
[b][i]L4VX w/UST V2 [color="#ff0000"]X[/color][/i][/b][color="#000000"][b][i] @ 45.5" [/i][/b](This shaft doesn't seem to be as stiff as my current gamer.)
[/color]So we shall see. :cheesy: Later......Phil.
[attachment=209865:IMG_0612.JPG][/color][/quote]

SMP, the rig looks sweet!!! I will look forward to your LM data report...

Kindest regards, Shawnee

Titleist Tsi4 / Callaway 4w /Call Hy/ Call UT 3i /Srixon z745 4-P /Vokey Wedgeworks 50m+56v /Cameron Newport 

[quote name='Golfme' post='874839' date='Jan 22 2008, 01:54 AM']that would be too much money and it plays REALLY stiff.[/quote]

I find $80 or $90 going rate for decent shafts. There's decent shafts for less but plentys for more too. You are right that the profile is very stiff tho, which is what has been working for many in this very heavy head. I think they have extra tip and you can undertip for a bit softer shaft. Could be wrong tho.

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

[quote name='Golfme' post='874864' date='Jan 21 2008, 11:12 AM']According to what i hear, the head on the L4V is too heavy and you need a a low torque shaft, pershing plays to like a 4.1 on torque so i would think that would be too much.[/quote]

Depends what Pershing. The 65 is 3.4 torque, the 75 is 3.0.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

I got mine yesterday and immediately took it to the range. I ordered the L4V-X 9* with Cobra Aldila VS-Proto 65. I am not crazy about this shaft and am speculative as to whether it is really a VS-Proto (I have an email in to Cobra so I will post their response). The club performed well on accuracy (the straightest club I have ever touched) but I was not overly impressed with the distance. It was not any longer than my HiBore XL. I will be putting an Aldila Protopype in soon to flatten the trajectory and hopefully that will get the ball out a little longer.

Has anyone done a head to head comparison of this and the X-Speed S? I hit that club last weekend with the crappy stock Fujikura and I was absolutely crushing it...just curious.

Thanks guys,

Keith

TM Qi10 LS 8.25°, Ventus Black 6X, tipped 1”, 44.75” 

TM BRNR Mini Driver at 12° (HWF), HZRDUS Black RDX 70 TX, tipped 1", 43.75"

TM Stealth+ 5w at 18.25°, HZRDUS Black RDX 80 6.5, tipped 1”, 42.5”

2023 TM P7MB (4-PW), PX 6.0, +1/4”

Vokey SM10 50.08(F), 54.12(D), 60.08(M), PX 6.0, +1/4"

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2, 360g, 35"

[quote name='keith723' post='876438' date='Jan 22 2008, 08:18 AM']I got mine yesterday and immediately took it to the range. I ordered the L4V-X 9* with Cobra Aldila VS-Proto 65. I am not crazy about this shaft and am speculative as to whether it is really a VS-Proto (I have an email in to Cobra so I will post their response). The club performed well on accuracy (the straightest club I have ever touched) but I was not overly impressed with the distance. It was not any longer than my HiBore XL. I will be putting an Aldila Protopype in soon to flatten the trajectory and hopefully that will get the ball out a little longer.

Has anyone done a head to head comparison of this and the X-Speed S? I hit that club last weekend with the crappy stock Fujikura and I was absolutely crushing it...just curious.

Thanks guys,

Keith[/quote]

Yeah, I've hit the X-Speed Pro S quite a few times, and feel that there's no comparison in forgiveness and straightness. MAN, the L4V is just SO straight. I'll bet that the Pype or the PM 702 or WB will flatten the trajectory and BAM! When it goes this straight, you can just RELEASE the thunder and the lightning into the ball!!

The guys at Cobra must have been busy last week filling orders, seeing as how a few of us here took delivery yesterday. Snowing like crazy here right now, and cold...winter does really suck! The only thing I wish they could have done is tip it. I know that they'd probably have people coming back saying "you guys messed it up...give me another shaft", and such. I don't care. I'm paying big $$$ for it...so build it how I want it. If it turns out wrong, then it's my fault. I know pretty much what I need, and I can tell just from the waggle, it's doesn't seem stiff enough. I haven't been to my friend's shop yet to check SW, but just from the feel, I'm guessing it's about D6-7. Maybe it's just the heavy SW throwing me off? The V2 may handle it...in due time we'll see. [b][i]Now, for those of you that have swapped a shaft...how delicate is the head to heat?[/i][/b] I would use a very low heat anyway...just to be safe. I'm just wondering if I end up pulling the V2, should I tip it, or go with my current gamer which is out of my r7...at the moment? Obviously if I end up pulling it, I guess I'll tip it, and try to get to my cpm #'s. ROBO...you must have swapped out some shafts? Any how to tips? Any, and all replies are greatly appreciated. :cheesy: I don't plan on doing anything to it prior to the LM session I have planned for later this week. I'll try it as is, from the factory. Who knows, I may be suprised. ;) I know shafts in stated flex, do play differently from company to company. One last thing...has anyone experimented with backweighting in the L4V to counteract the heavy SW? I have with various clubs in the past, and didn't really mind the feel of a shift of weight to the butt end. Just wondering if anyone has, and if you were happy with the results. Thanx...later......Phil.

[quote name='Guillotine007' post='876514' date='Jan 22 2008, 12:09 PM']FedEx man just dropped off my L4V X....i'm still trying to figure out which shaft to drop in though. Either a whiteboard or pype....but I'm not sure to go with Stiff or X! Any suggestions for a 105-110 guy? Thanks Fellas!![/quote]

I would think an [b][i]X[/i][/b] should be fine.

[quote name='Guillotine007' post='876514' date='Jan 22 2008, 09:09 AM']FedEx man just dropped off my L4V X....i'm still trying to figure out which shaft to drop in though. Either a whiteboard or pype....but I'm not sure to go with Stiff or X! Any suggestions for a 105-110 guy? Thanks Fellas!![/quote]

PM 702 in a stiff flex would work well I bet...

[quote name='keith723' post='876438' date='Jan 22 2008, 11:18 AM']I got mine yesterday and immediately took it to the range. I ordered the L4V-X 9* with Cobra Aldila VS-Proto 65. I am not crazy about this shaft and am speculative as to whether it is really a VS-Proto (I have an email in to Cobra so I will post their response). The club performed well on accuracy (the straightest club I have ever touched) but I was not overly impressed with the distance. It was not any longer than my HiBore XL. I will be putting an Aldila Protopype in soon to flatten the trajectory and hopefully that will get the ball out a little longer.

Thanks guys,

Keith[/quote]

How did the VS Proto play? What did you not like about the shaft and this combo?

I was going to order the L4V F 10* with this shaft. I tend to have a low launch angle around 10*-12* with a swing speed of 110.

A little info about my game. 10 handicap, mid 90's swing speed with a driver. Tried to like the L4VF but was getting balloning drives with the 9deg with a left tendency. Went to a demo day and the rep suggested I try to X. Am killing the t ball, straight as an arrow and longer by 10-20 yards. Is it weird that my mid 90's swing fits the X better than the F?

Guys

Have to thank you all for helping me find the holy grail of drivers (for now!) - after reading this forum, just knew I had to try this club, but being in the UK also knew I'd have to wait a while unless I got one from the States. Clearly I couldn't wait after all the chat here, so ordered one a couple of weeks ago. Arrived yesterday - 9* F with Stock Diamana shaft (humble 5 handicap with SS of 95mph).
All I can say is WOW - for me, the stock shaft is fine, was hitting it a good 10 yards plus past my HiBore XL with strong, high carry hardly affected by a reasonable left-right wind. And VERY straight, slight fade only when I really tried to go after it and got ahead of it (normally this would be a straight block/slice left).

Afraid the HiBore's going to gather dust for a while now, the L4V is now the boss.

[quote name='WGOH' post='878130' date='Jan 22 2008, 11:59 PM']A little info about my game. 10 handicap, mid 90's swing speed with a driver. Tried to like the L4VF but was getting balloning drives with the 9deg with a left tendency. Went to a demo day and the rep suggested I try to X. Am killing the t ball, straight as an arrow and longer by 10-20 yards. Is it weird that my mid 90's swing fits the X better than the F?[/quote]

That's GREAT to hear. Man, this combo is sick. Just sick.

The X is so money. Heck, at first, I tried the 10* F and was killing it. Straight as an arrow, but a tad higher than I wanted. My buddy had the 9* X and it was all she wrote!

[quote name='robstercsi' post='878131' date='Jan 23 2008, 12:07 AM']Guys

Have to thank you all for helping me find the holy grail of drivers (for now!) - after reading this forum, just knew I had to try this club, but being in the UK also knew I'd have to wait a while unless I got one from the States. Clearly I couldn't wait after all the chat here, so ordered one a couple of weeks ago. Arrived yesterday - 9* F with Stock Diamana shaft (humble 5 handicap with SS of 95mph).
All I can say is WOW - for me, the stock shaft is fine, was hitting it a good 10 yards plus past my HiBore XL with strong, high carry hardly affected by a reasonable left-right wind. And VERY straight, slight fade only when I really tried to go after it and got ahead of it (normally this would be a straight block/slice left).

Afraid the HiBore's going to gather dust for a while now, the L4V is now the boss.[/quote]

Man, that's great to hear as well. I can see a HiBore XL on BST pretty soon! ;)

[quote name='lefty74pgh' post='876546' date='Jan 22 2008, 10:33 AM'][quote name='keith723' post='876438' date='Jan 22 2008, 11:18 AM']I got mine yesterday and immediately took it to the range. I ordered the L4V-X 9* with Cobra Aldila VS-Proto 65. I am not crazy about this shaft and am speculative as to whether it is really a VS-Proto (I have an email in to Cobra so I will post their response). The club performed well on accuracy (the straightest club I have ever touched) but I was not overly impressed with the distance. It was not any longer than my HiBore XL. I will be putting an Aldila Protopype in soon to flatten the trajectory and hopefully that will get the ball out a little longer.

Thanks guys,

Keith[/quote]

How did the VS Proto play? What did you not like about the shaft and this combo?

I was going to order the L4V F 10* with this shaft. I tend to have a low launch angle around 10*-12* with a swing speed of 110.
[/quote]

The stock VS Proto was launching too high for me (borderline ballooning). The trajectory was not nearly as penetrating as other drivers I've hit the VS Proto with. I emailed cobra to see if it was a "real" VS Proto and this is their response "The Aldila VS Proto stock shaft for the X-Speed Pro driver is a proprietary shaft for Cobra golf and is available as a custom option on L4V."

If Cobra says their VS Proto is proprietary I take that to mean it is not a "real" VS Proto which explains why it did not perform as well as I anticipated. If you have a low launch though this may benefit you more than a true VS Proto shaft and since there is no upcharge its worth a shot.

I think I will be much happier when I get the Pype put in the head. Either way it is better than my HiBore XL, I didn't lose any yardage and it is scary straight

TM Qi10 LS 8.25°, Ventus Black 6X, tipped 1”, 44.75” 

TM BRNR Mini Driver at 12° (HWF), HZRDUS Black RDX 70 TX, tipped 1", 43.75"

TM Stealth+ 5w at 18.25°, HZRDUS Black RDX 80 6.5, tipped 1”, 42.5”

2023 TM P7MB (4-PW), PX 6.0, +1/4”

Vokey SM10 50.08(F), 54.12(D), 60.08(M), PX 6.0, +1/4"

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2, 360g, 35"

[quote name='robstercsi' post='878131' date='Jan 23 2008, 03:07 AM']Guys

Afraid the HiBore's going to gather dust for a while now, the L4V is now the boss.[/quote]

lol, good one. i'm swinging around the 98-104 and the stock shaft works pretty good for me so far. Sometimes it does go high but boy, this baby carries. i suspect the stock "stiff" shaft is just not geared for the 100+ SS especially with the heavier head. all the guys here who switch to the proto and whiteboards etc are 105+ SS.

Moral of the story is that - try the stock shaft first, if your SS is in the mid 90s to the low 100.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

[quote]bitt03 Posted Yesterday, 11:20 AM
From reading all these posts a low spinning shaft that is light sounds like the go to...Ozik X-con 5 seems to fit the bill, has anyone had a go with this in the L4V X?[/quote]I have an XCon 6 in mine, and it is very nice except for the Swingweight, which comes to D7 at 45 inches. I might cut it down to 44.5, but an XCon 5 would probably be perfect for me.

[quote name='Hungsolo' post='878592' date='Jan 23 2008, 09:41 AM'][quote]bitt03 Posted Yesterday, 11:20 AM
From reading all these posts a low spinning shaft that is light sounds like the go to...Ozik X-con 5 seems to fit the bill, has anyone had a go with this in the L4V X?[/quote]I have an XCon 6 in mine, and it is very nice except for the Swingweight, which comes to D7 at 45 inches. I might cut it down to 44.5, but an XCon 5 would probably be perfect for me.
[/quote]

Now we need to get you in the Cobra Speed Pro FW and the transformation will be nearly complete! ;)

[quote name='keith723' post='878550' date='Jan 23 2008, 09:13 AM']The stock VS Proto was launching too high for me (borderline ballooning). The trajectory was not nearly as penetrating as other drivers I've hit the VS Proto with. I emailed cobra to see if it was a "real" VS Proto and this is their response "The Aldila VS Proto stock shaft for the X-Speed Pro driver is a proprietary shaft for Cobra golf and is available as a custom option on L4V."

If Cobra says their VS Proto is proprietary I take that to mean it is not a "real" VS Proto which explains why it did not perform as well as I anticipated. If you have a low launch though this may benefit you more than a true VS Proto shaft and since there is no upcharge its worth a shot.

I think I will be much happier when I get the Pype put in the head. Either way it is better than my HiBore XL, I didn't lose any yardage and it is scary straight[/quote]
From what I understand, the VS Proto 65 is a real VS Proto with a longer tip section. At least that is the case with the Titleist version. I ordered my L4V X with a VS Proto 65 X-stiff at 45 1/2" because of this. I figured that at my swing speed (~105), the X-stiff would normally be too stiff. But with the longer tip section and heavier head, the X-stiff might be just right. And if it isn't stiff enough, I can tip it 1/2" because I want the driver to end up being 45". I have a brand new uncut Aldila NV ProtoPype 60 S in my closet if this shaft doesn't work out.

My L4V arrived yesterday and I plan to pick it up and hit it today...if it doen't rain. If I hit it, I will let you know what I think of it later on today.

Scott

[quote name='keith723' post='876438' date='Jan 22 2008, 08:18 AM']Has anyone done a head to head comparison of this and the X-Speed S? I hit that club last weekend with the crappy stock Fujikura and I was absolutely crushing it...just curious.

Thanks guys,

Keith[/quote]

I can't speak for the S but I do have a Speed Pro D w/ the yellow Proto-by-you S-flex. If you want to read more about my comparison you can check [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=135442&hl=sc65"]this[/url] post. No big surprise here, the L4V is longer and straighter. Mishits on the Speed Pro can really result in a lot of lost distance and side spin. With the L4V it's mishits are about the same distance as the good shots with the Speed Pro D. With the L4V you really have to make a bad swing to get enough slice or hook going to mis the fairway by a mile.

A little FYI / 411 for the L4Vx gang ... to those the many of us who have discussed shafts changes etc - and to those considering this driver ...

I receieved a VERY interesting call from Mr. Pavlet .... I will see if he will elaborate ... but some VERY VERY interesting results regarding the L4Vx in real world conditions.

2 weeks ago ... Senoir Pavlet - aka BPavlet (our new Wrx buddy ;) ) ... 2 weeks ago ... did a corporating outting at The Legacy golf course in Las Vegas Nevada. Part of said outting was that he stood on a certain tee box and hit drives for each group as they came around.

For those of you who know me ... Pav my is Bro & one of my best friends ... As much as I love the guy I also equally hate him everytime I watch him hit ... or we play etc .... Watching someone bomb it past you with his "smoothy" shoot really pi$$es ya off...

ANYWAY .... Pav did an outting at The Legacy and stood on hole #11 (pictured below) .. and hit drives for each group from the Blue tees...... 411 to the flag

11-LCY-hole.jpg

The funny thing is what he used ... now this is a guy who has a speed beyond 99.9999999999% of us ... CAN ACTUALLY hit 150mph swing speed ... He stood on the 11th and hit drives ...

WITH A BONE STOCK L4VX WITH THE STOCK S ( yes S!!! ) FLEX DIAMANA RED SHAFT

devil-smiley2.gifdevil-smiley2.gifdevil-smiley2.gifdevil-smiley2.gifdevil-smiley2.gifdevil-smiley2.gifdevil-smiley2.gifdevil-smiley2.gifdevil-smiley2.gifdevil-smiley2.gifdevil-smiley2.gifdevil-smiley2.gif

BOTTOM LINE ..... PER PAV HIMSELF ....

He drove 4 balls in the front bunker pictured ... ONLY 2 BALLS did not hit in the fairway ... and they landed just left of the cart path on the left side of the green (cuz he was trying to drive the green) ... he AVERAGED 360-370 all day (approx 30-35 shots I believe) .... ALL but those 2 shots - went DEAD DOWN THE CENTER of the fairway ... I will let him elaborate ... but I believe he told me "This is the straightest driver I have ever hit - NO brainer"

Can you imagine what's going to happen when he gets his L4s built to his specs ... SCARY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not bad for SPINNY / HOOK BIASED / MID-PACK / AVERAGE / RETAIL / MEDIOCRE / LOW BALL SPEED / LOW TECH / BLAH BLAH BLAH driver

Just shows what happens when a good swing ... meets a good driver .... whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.giffan.gif