2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

COBRA L4V - The BOMB!!!!

ROBOPTI

[quote name='Metalhead' post='854427' date='Jan 8 2008, 01:12 PM']Looking forward to building one for myself(hopefully a low lofted version- 8*??? maybe??)!!!
Josh[/quote]

An 8* recently appeared on the USGA conforming list - [url="http://www.usga.org/equipment/images/conf_clubs/20071149.JPG"]http://www.usga.org/equipment/images/conf_clubs/20071149.JPG[/url] - but has yet to appear on cobragolf.com

Hi peeps Great site , ive been a lurker on here for a while , i'm from the UK and i'd like to add to this topic.

i got my l4v x about a month ago :cheesy: (early december) probably one of the few in the uk not officially due out till February :cheesy: got one through the rep :cheesy:

so ive had quite a few games with this, and i must agree with alot thats been said before this driver is good.

i play to about 5 hcap on a average day my swingspeed is about 95mph with a smooth tempo,
ive had a few drivers this last year J33r , G5, launcher, ( R5 Tp backup driver) ,drivers dont last too long.. :cheesy: ... its been a soggy last month or so in the UK so the fairways are abit mushy but so far this driver is up in the areas im normally in on the course with hard fairways.. not just the odd drive but the majority are , get lots of carry with abit of roll out too even on the soggy fairways (Low spin head i presume) not a balloon flight, nice mid flight ( i tend too hit low if anything normally but i hit this on a good trajectory) .

Even bad strikes have surprized me , being on the edge of the fairway or well up distance wise with playing partners. I can count on one had the bad shots ive hit with it, results of damn ugly lurches at the ball ;) ..

I 've found the stock shaft feels a tad soft from what im used to this has caused what i thought one or two slight mishits ( still on fairway or first cut) i may look into a pershing 65r which i had in the j33r which i thought was a cracking shaft or comp nt 65 which i like also ,something abit more stable with the heavy head, but i'll see how we go for a while yet.

Problems i found were that it is extremely hard to turnover or hook ,which is not bad thing 1 or 2 degree open face looks to me , not so good if you like to shape your drive , but long straight rockets is what i like :cheesy: and the extreme upright lie is abit off putting took me a while to get used to. and im 6'2. Plus the head is massive compared too more classic shaped heads im used too but when you see the ball disappear at insane speeds it quickly grows on you.

:cheesy: and the sound well its a tad loud but hey .... :cheesy:

Cheers

[quote name='DougnDallas' post='854501' date='Jan 8 2008, 12:06 PM'][quote name='Metalhead' post='854427' date='Jan 8 2008, 01:12 PM']Looking forward to building one for myself(hopefully a low lofted version- 8*??? maybe??)!!!
Josh[/quote]

An 8* recently appeared on the USGA conforming list - [url="http://www.usga.org/equipment/images/conf_clubs/20071149.JPG"]http://www.usga.org/equipment/images/conf_clubs/20071149.JPG[/url] - but has yet to appear on cobragolf.com
[/quote]

Yeppers - There sure is ;) .... [i]Pretty cool from what I understand[/i] :cheesy:

Any HiBore XL lovers out there that have tested it against the L4V...I believe the HiBore XL is also a low spin head like the L4V X, just curious how they compare as I have hit my longest drives with my current XL even with the stock shaft. I have yet to hit the L4V X but can't wait to try it with the Protopype 60X

TM Qi10 LS 8.25°, Ventus Black 6X, tipped 1”, 44.75” 

TM BRNR Mini Driver at 12° (HWF), HZRDUS Black RDX 70 TX, tipped 1", 43.75"

TM Stealth+ 5w at 18.25°, HZRDUS Black RDX 80 6.5, tipped 1”, 42.5”

2023 Titleist T100 (4-GW), PX 6.0, +1/4”

Vokey SM10 54.12(D), 60.08(M), PX 6.0, +1/4"

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2, 360g, 35"

[quote name='keith723' post='854698' date='Jan 8 2008, 12:10 PM']Any HiBore XL lovers out there that have tested it against the L4V...I believe the HiBore XL is also a low spin head like the L4V X, just curious how they compare as I have hit my longest drives with my current XL even with the stock shaft. I have yet to hit the L4V X but can't wait to try it with the Protopype 60X[/quote]

I can't speak to the spin on the XL because I have not played this club. However, I could not find the exact MOI number for the Hibore but it's not 5900 like the L4V. Now that may or may not be important to some players just making an observation....all be it an admittedly biased one though. (insert smiley face of guy drinking cool-aide w/ Cobra sign) btw, there is no smiley face guy w/ a Cobra sign....

[quote name='golfware' post='854419' date='Jan 8 2008, 09:05 AM']Hey Rob, thanks for the truth and honest feedback.

BTW, now getting back to the driver.... man, makes me want one of these bad boys more and more!!!!

I wonder how this baby would work with the new UST HMOI shaft in it....[/quote]

Don't know how those play but they do have a higher balance point like the stock shaft and their web site shows that a 208 gram head playing at 44.5" would be at D2 swing weight.

[quote name='wirelessness' post='854737' date='Jan 8 2008, 01:32 PM'][quote name='keith723' post='854698' date='Jan 8 2008, 12:10 PM']Any HiBore XL lovers out there that have tested it against the L4V...I believe the HiBore XL is also a low spin head like the L4V X, just curious how they compare as I have hit my longest drives with my current XL even with the stock shaft. I have yet to hit the L4V X but can't wait to try it with the Protopype 60X[/quote]

I can't speak to the spin on the XL because I have not played this club. However, I could not find the exact MOI number for the Hibore but it's not 5900 like the L4V. Now that may or may not be important to some players just making an observation....all be it an admittedly biased one though. (insert smiley face of guy drinking cool-aide w/ Cobra sign) btw, there is no smiley face guy w/ a Cobra sign....
[/quote]

Per Cleveland, the HiBore XL MOI is about 4600 and the new XLS will be around 5200 MOI...either way both are shy of the Cobra's 5900. That being said I get a nice High and Flat trajectory with the XL but I've been wanting to change the stock shaft for some time to improve dispersion. I think the $$ will be better spent on a 9* Cobra L4V-X w/ Aldila Protopype 60-X (you will see it in my sig VERY SOON) ;)

TM Qi10 LS 8.25°, Ventus Black 6X, tipped 1”, 44.75” 

TM BRNR Mini Driver at 12° (HWF), HZRDUS Black RDX 70 TX, tipped 1", 43.75"

TM Stealth+ 5w at 18.25°, HZRDUS Black RDX 80 6.5, tipped 1”, 42.5”

2023 Titleist T100 (4-GW), PX 6.0, +1/4”

Vokey SM10 54.12(D), 60.08(M), PX 6.0, +1/4"

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2, 360g, 35"

[quote name='ROBOPTI' post='854643' date='Jan 8 2008, 11:28 AM'][quote name='DougnDallas' post='854501' date='Jan 8 2008, 12:06 PM'][quote name='Metalhead' post='854427' date='Jan 8 2008, 01:12 PM']Looking forward to building one for myself(hopefully a low lofted version- 8*??? maybe??)!!!
Josh[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeppers - There sure is :cheesy: .... [i]Pretty cool from what I understand[/i] :cheesy:
[/quote]

Maybe you could expand on "Pretty cool from what I understand". I could be leading into things but it sounds like you might understand first hand?

And Josh - METALHEAD, you will not be building ONE 8* L4V, it will be TWO... Time to put our VTLT stock into use!
;)

[quote name='wk96789' post='854951' date='Jan 8 2008, 05:03 PM']Hi everyone, I'm wondering what ball you're using with the L4V?

Has anyone experimented with different balls? Results?

Thanks[/quote]

I have a sleeve of HX Hots, and a sleeve of Burner (regular) that I am gonna give a go on the course next time out. My results with the Pinnacle Exceptions were pretty good for me though!

Brian

[quote name='swanry30' post='855004' date='Jan 8 2008, 03:53 PM'][quote name='ROBOPTI' post='854643' date='Jan 8 2008, 11:28 AM'][quote name='DougnDallas' post='854501' date='Jan 8 2008, 12:06 PM'][quote name='Metalhead' post='854427' date='Jan 8 2008, 01:12 PM']Looking forward to building one for myself(hopefully a low lofted version- 8*??? maybe??)!!!
Josh[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeppers - There sure is :cheesy: .... [i]Pretty cool from what I understand[/i] :cheesy:
[/quote]

Maybe you could expand on "Pretty cool from what I understand". I could be leading into things but it sounds like you might understand first hand?

And Josh - METALHEAD, you will not be building ONE 8* L4V, it will be TWO... Time to put our VTLT stock into use!
;)
[/quote]

LOL! I'm just waiting for you to make the move first!! So hurry up and Find and 8*, Ryan!! Its at least 4 months until any real golf can be played....so I'll just read and watch for now!

Thanks Brian, I was wondering if the type of ball was contributing to everyone's great results.

I have a VTLT coming. Hope I can get similar results in my L4Vx.

Titleist 917 D3 8.5° GD TP-6<br />Titleist 917 F3 13.5° GD MJ-7<br />Titleist 816 H1 17° GD GT-85<br />Miura CB57 KBS Tour<br />Titleist TVD 50M 54M 58K KBS Tour<br />Odyssey MxM #7

Well, I have to agree with this thread. Had a round today and I had no issues with the L4V, had a lil fade going but it was a bomber. Ok, i f00ked up one hole with a bad slice but it was a bad swing, trying to crank it on the 2nd driving hole and the hands got infront. On the 18th, the prov1 actually ballooned but oh lord oh lord...did that ball go straight, split the fairway and carried....i've NEVER seen a driver carry like that at such a ballon trajectory. HOLY MOLY!

That hole would have taken a really good G10 drive to put it down the middle but the L4V was such a breeze to hit. The "tunk" sound is still taking some time to get used to but as I said to my foursome, who cares what it's sounding if it's on the short stuff. No problem with the stock shaft as it looks like the way I am teeing the ball seems to determine if it's a high one or mid flight. Still experimenting here...

Overall, very impressive driver! But I am still in the honeymoon stage with this driver. No regrets with the switch so far. Fingers crossed...and thanxs for all the info guys :drinks:

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

ROBO & The Lama,

Thanks for all of your help with the L4V!!! I ended up installing a Diamana Whiteboard 73X tipped 1/2" and at 45 1/2" and this thing is simply amazing. It's a little heavy swing weight wise (D9-E0) but actually saw distance gains over the stock shaft and it is crazy accurate.

Played a minitour event the past two days in Orlando and missed just a handful of fairways on a course I had never seen before. This club is the real deal. Long and accurate.

One thing I would like to add is for those trying to decide what head to get. I'm starting to think Cobras selection by swing speed/ball speed is VERY misleading. Seems the head selection should be by face angle. The X is at least a 1* open and if you have a problem hooking the ball then this is the head for you. The F is likely for the straight hitter and the M is for the slicers out there. I have always fought a hook and with the X have not hit a single ball left. Not on a course or the driving range. Not a single one even with the stock shaft!! Have I missed a couple right, oh yeah... but that has only been the product of bad swings and not due to the club. This is the most confidence I have ever had with a driver and driving has always been one of the best parts of my game.

Hey Cobra, how about a L4V putter?!?!?!

ROBO & The Lama,

Thanks for all of your help with the L4V!!! I ended up installing a Diamana Whiteboard 73X tipped 1/2" and at 45 1/2" and this thing is simply amazing. It's a little heavy swing weight wise (D9-E0) but actually saw distance gains over the stock shaft and it is crazy accurate.

Played a minitour event the past two days in Orlando and missed just a handful of fairways on a course I had never seen before. This club is the real deal. Long and accurate.

One thing I would like to add is for those trying to decide what head to get. I'm starting to think Cobras selection by swing speed/ball speed is VERY misleading. Seems the head selection should be by face angle. The X is at least a 1* open and if you have a problem hooking the ball then this is the head for you. The F is likely for the straight hitter and the M is for the slicers out there. I have always fought a hook and with the X have not hit a single ball left. Not on a course or the driving range. Not a single one even with the stock shaft!! Have I missed a couple right, oh yeah... but that has only been the product of bad swings and not due to the club. This is the most confidence I have ever had with a driver and driving has always been one of the best parts of my game.

Hey Cobra, how about a L4V putter?!?!?!

AWESOME !!!!!!!! to hear - 45.5 - That's big MOFO ... I'm a 45'r - and now have 2 at 44

L4-Dutter ... Hmmmmm ... I just might

OH BY THE WAY

I am HAND-DELIVERING my 2nd ROBO-DUTTER tommorow ... and it's a beaut !!! ... Going to hand it to it's new owner myself :drinks:

I will let the new owner show more pics - but here's a sneak peek

This is the ..... ROBO-DUTTER CIRCA Z 002.5 PROTO ... My DUTTER is on the right :lock:

DUTTER-2.jpg

[quote name='rybo' post='858829' date='Jan 11 2008, 08:08 AM']ROBO & The Lama,

Hey Cobra, how about a L4V putter?!?!?![/quote]

SWEETTTTTT!!!!!

I am glad you like the Whiteboard...told you I had a pretty good hunch you would REALLY like it!!!

Brian

AWESOME !!!!!!!! to hear - 45.5 - That's big MOFO ... I'm a 45'r - and now have 2 at 44

L4-Dutter ... Hmmmmm ... I just might

OH BY THE WAY

I am HAND-DELIVERING my 2nd ROBO-DUTTER tommorow ... and it's a beaut !!! ... Going to hand it to it's new owner myself :drinks:

I will let the new owner show more pics - but here's a sneak peek

This is the ..... ROBO-DUTTER CIRCA Z 002.5 PROTO ... My DUTTER is on the right :lock:

DUTTER-2.jpg

Someone is gonna be in for a big surprise....me thinks!

Toys are always fun!

Brian

[quote name='jag' post='800484' date='Nov 23 2007, 09:15 PM']Snagged an L4V X today and it's true... I'm a believer these are truely the BOMB!!! It's damn cold here too (38* wind chiil it was prolly only 34*) and I was still driving the ball waaaay out there and great trajectory. [b]So far the stock shaft feels fine too.[/b]. but we'll see how long it lasts especially when I can play it in some warmer weather :drinks:[/quote]

Is the HMOI the stock shaft? Is this shaft an option from Cobra?

[quote name='ROBOPTI' post='801207' date='Nov 24 2007, 07:17 PM']I actually want to try it - but haven't found a source for UST Tour shafts yet - Still looking - LOVE the MOI though[/quote]

ROBOPTI, thanks for all this great information! Can I ask you a couple more questions. Since you have numerous UST shafts, maybe you can provide some insight. How does the HMOI V2 compare to the standard V2 shaft (launch, spin, distance)? Can the HMOI an be purchased as an option from Cobra? You stated you really like the HMOI shaft in this head. How does this shaft compare (launch, spin, distance) to the other shafts you tried in this head.

I am looking at purchasing the L4VX 9 degree and undecided on the shaft. I am a low handicap, good ball striker, 109 average swing speed with lag.

Feedback from all much appreciated!

SS: 96-101
Model: F
Loft: 10*
Shaft: Fuji 757 - Stiff
SW: D4 (backweighted to D0.75)
Length: 44.5

Mine is a slightly heavy SOB. I love it but thinking of selling it and picking up a 9* F with a lighter shaft. Would like to knock down some of the launch and lower the spin. But whatever I do, a L4V will be in the bag!