2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

COBRA L4V - The BOMB!!!!

ROBOPTI

[quote name='PeteMTG' post='803662' date='Nov 26 2007, 10:02 PM']HA! That is precisely why I stay away from DRAW BIASED clubs. GET THE X! What is your swing speed? If it is at least 95, you will be fine with the X[/quote]

Mine is about 105 would that put me with better distance and accuracy with an X or F speed?

[quote name='PeteMTG' post='804284' date='Nov 27 2007, 04:40 PM']Undeniably, undisputably, beyond ANY shadow of a doubt, in my opinion an X

Worst case tweak the shaft, but I think you will be perfect. Get a measuring tool and find a head that says 9 but is a 10 or 10.5

I found an 11 !!![/quote]

So... what tool do you recommend to measure Loft and Lie that can be brought to the store? I normally bring my clubs to my clubmaker, but would like to have a portable measuring device that I can carry to a store :-)

Thanks..

Brief rundown of my limited on course demo of the F 10.5 w/ stock R Shaft. I was able to take the demo club out on the course and compare side by side w/ my Speed Pro D w/ NVS Pro 65S. First thing is the R shaft was not the right shaft for me because I whipped a few way left. Other than that most dead center. Observations as follows:

- large head w/ shallow (more shallow than speed pro D) looks good at address. Seemed square or closed a bit compared to the Pro

- Sounded less 'tinny' than the all titanium Pro a little more muted to me probably because of the CF

- Feel was fairly solid with the ball jumping pretty fast off the face, You could almost feel the MOI at work (in my head anyways)

- Accuracy, any fairly well hit shot would end up pretty much online. The only ones I missed were overswings jacked way left. I hit several shots on each hole for comparison w/ the L4V and the Speed Pro for comparison. Shots that felt pure went dead straight/slight draw w/ mishits landing very near the pured shots. It's hard to pick a winner because both do this very well w/ the right shaft I would give the edge to the L4V

- Distance/Trajectory, Hit high boomers that carried out about 250-260 to soft for any roll. It's hard to pick a winner because on some holes the L4V was 5-8yrds longer and on a coulple it was the other way around or equal. I have not data to prove it but I really felt and looked like the L4V w/ the stock shaft was imparting more backspin coupled w/ the added height seemd to rob the L4V of distance (except on downwind shots). As others have said w/ the right shaft this could be a deadly combination.

- Overall the club was very impressive. I would have to demo it again w/ at least the X head w/ stock Stiff shaft or better to be fair especially before I will give up the Speed Pro. If anyone plays The Bridges in San Ramon, CA it is available to demo fwi.

This is the best driver I have ever owned [b]PERIOD[/b]! It set's up incredibly well, appearing to be slightly open and it is[b] LONG[/b]!!!!

Let me say one more time though that getting the shaft right on this monster is so very important. It took me 3 shafts in three day's to get it figured out. The stock Redboard is way to spinny for a strong swing. I added a Accuflex Creation that was not the right weight for the head as it quickly went to D8 ;) and was basically unhittable. ;) I finally went with a Speeder 569 that is absolutely perfect. The ball flight is high and flattens out nicely. This club flies a long way and does roll out. ;)

This club is the real deal and there are going to be a lot of happy golfers who have this in the bag. It is an absolute fairway finder and can hit bombs. Don't be the last to take the leap and find out how good the L4V really is!!! :D

[quote name='dmac4g' post='805938' date='Nov 28 2007, 04:08 PM']This is the best driver I have ever owned [b]PERIOD[/b]! It set's up incredibly well, appearing to be slightly open and it is[b] LONG[/b]!!!!

Let me say one more time though that getting the shaft right on this monster is so very important. It took me 3 shafts in three day's to get it figured out. The stock Redboard is way to spinny for a strong swing. I added a Accuflex Creation that was not the right weight for the head as it quickly went to D8 ;) and was basically unhittable. ;) I finally went with a Speeder 569 that is absolutely perfect. The ball flight is high and flattens out nicely. This club flies a long way and does roll out. ;)

This club is the real deal and there are going to be a lot of happy golfers who have this in the bag. It is an absolute fairway finder and can hit bombs. Don't be the last to take the leap and find out how good the L4V really is!!! :D[/quote]

This is a sign from above. I have a 569 in the closet with a rub spot on it so I cant sell it, but its fine...

And cobra Demo Day at a range 3/4 mile from my house this Saturday...

Q

That is a sign from God my friend!!! My came in the mail today from COBRA> I am waiting for my tool to come to measure the loft. If it is at least 10.5 Ill keep it otherwise I will go around to every shop and hope to find one with at least 10.5 even though it says 9 we know what that means.

Glad to see the feedback is strong. I know I ripped it in the booth

ROBOPTI always has fun posts to read.

I honestly think I may be one of the few guys who can hit the drivers you guys post about. So if you ever have that 4* driver fest near Seattle - LET ME KNOW and I'll be there!!

CHIT - if Robopti would be kind enough I'd pay for shipping just to try one of those beasts...

'ROBO"GTICLAY ;)

Hey ROBOPTI,

If your still looking for the UST shafts, you might want to try Pat Dempsey at www.horsepowergolf.com.
He seems to be one of the main distributors for UST and is REAL good friends with Mark, one of the higher ups in the UST food chain. I'm sure if Pat doesn't have it he CAN get it, and has reasonable prices. I have gotten ALL my UST shafts from him and Pat treated me VERY well. I also have an extra UST V2 LD3, brand new if your interested.

Mike

Demo day today, hit both the 9 and 10 degree over the 50 foot net at the back of the range. The Cobra guy liked the ball flight of the 9 degree F better. I ordered one from a local store, the manager is going to make sure to tell his rep to get one as close to square as possible, and I wont have to pay for it if I think its too closed.

I love local shops.

Oh yeah, the net was 250 away ;)

[quote name='PeteMTG' post='804284' date='Nov 27 2007, 04:40 PM']Undeniably, undisputably, beyond ANY shadow of a doubt, in my opinion an X

Worst case tweak the shaft, but I think you will be perfect. Get a measuring tool and find a head that says 9 but is a 10 or 10.5

I found an 11 !!![/quote]

wow they are that far off spec? I hope the one I ordered doesnt come in 11 degs :drinks:

you know im starting to think this tool I used to measure is off. I just dont think it could possibly be off that much. I put a Rombax 5X07 XStiff in it today and I was killing it and hitting it high, maybe even too high, so who knows. Im about to switch and put a 5W07 X in it and see how that goes. I want something less than 60grams to keep that swing speed up there. It seems the more I jump on it, the straighter and longer it goes. This really is a great driver. I cant say enough good things about it. The sound isnt bad at all, that is a nonfactor to me. I tried the maltby tool and I kept getting different readings so I said hell with it. Ill make it work and so far it has! Dump that stock shaft though. Because there is so much carbon on the head, I cracked the stock shaft near hosel and drilled out the rest without heat. Didnt want to melt that carbon.

[quote name='PeteMTG' post='809454' date='Dec 1 2007, 10:12 PM']you know im starting to think this tool I used to measure is off. I just dont think it could possibly be off that much. I put a Rombax 5X07 XStiff in it today and I was killing it and hitting it high, maybe even too high, so who knows. Im about to switch and put a 5W07 X in it and see how that goes. I want something less than 60grams to keep that swing speed up there. It seems the more I jump on it, the straighter and longer it goes. This really is a great driver. I cant say enough good things about it. The sound isnt bad at all, that is a nonfactor to me. I tried the maltby tool and I kept getting different readings so I said hell with it. Ill make it work and so far it has! Dump that stock shaft though. Because there is so much carbon on the head, I cracked the stock shaft near hosel and drilled out the rest without heat. Didnt want to melt that carbon.[/quote]

Did the 5X07 hit it as high as the stock redboard?

TM R1 Phenom
Ping 18*
TM 22*
Mizuno Easy Forged
TM 52-56=60
2 ball blade milled

• 1 month later...

Since I started the craze .. I want to ANSWER a few facts on MY thread - so there are no mysteries .... Just a few thoughts

NUMBER 1 - I have heard a TON about guys who hit this and say it sucks stock - and that it spins etc. The first time I hit this in "stock" form I freaked out - It spun like a top - I wanted to take my own life - I got 3 sight unseen and just started swinging - and it wasn't pretty at all at first. Now granted - I can gas it up pretty hard - but as NUMEROUS people have stated (and since the "other forum" prides itself on "stock sucks" - as do most of us) - once you get it right - THERE IS NOTHING BETTER - In my opinion - and that's all it is - an opinion.

NUMBER 2 - It is inevitable that the haters/bashers will come and bash ANYTHING that contradicts there specific line of Kool-aide - but I HAVE NO BIAS - and when you post with a hidden agenda - ITS SO OBVIOUS. Trust us - You're not fooling anyone.

NUMBER 3 - NOT EVERYONE IS GOING TO LIKE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ... NO WAY do we all bag this - and ya know what ... what I like about Wrx .... That's cool. I AM SO FREAKING WORN OUT with all the "tour version" this ... and this is better that ... COOL !!!!!!!!! - I NEVER go on a thread and say ... "OOOO - Thats sucks" ... Golden rule guys ... and if you hate the Cobra - COOL !!!!!!!!!... I have NO problem with criticism - just make it objective - I don't think any of us mind that ....

The only thing I DO KNOW .. Is that of the NUMEROUS PMs & emails I have returned and tried to help OPEN-MINDED people with this driver - I have yet to hear aweful this thing is .... NEVER. Once right - It IS the longest / straightest / most forgiving driver I have ever known.

As far as all the "Max CT" & "tour version" this & that & "too bad it's a retail" - and me supplying a driver for testing ... I DON'T NEED anyones test results - I already have my own - It BLEW AWAY everything I own - and I own them all. Cobra doesn't care what So&So's robot testing says - AT ALL - TRUST ME - I KNOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - They don't give a damn - and if someones testing shows how average it is - it will be further proof on just how biased that test it.

Look ... It's golf guys - It's what we are passionate about. Time is short ENJOY .... If you don't like or doubt this driver - COOL !!!!!!!!!!!! ... I will still read posts about every other driver out there - and buy a few here and there I am sure. IT'S ALL GOOD .... But as we all know "the haters" always come - sometimes those same haters have a smile on their face and infer a positive attitude - but the hate always comes out .... it is truly inevitable ...

Onward we go .... Who else has some new toys we can read about .. I may have to have one ;)

[quote name='ROBOPTI' post='854320' date='Jan 8 2008, 07:58 AM']Since I started the craze .. I want to ANSWER a few facts on MY thread - so there are no mysteries .... Just a few thoughts

NUMBER 1 - I have heard a TON about guys who hit this and say it sucks stock - and that it spins etc. The first time I hit this in "stock" form I freaked out - It spun like a top - I wanted to take my own life - I got 3 sight unseen and just started swinging - and it wasn't pretty at all at first. Now granted - I can gas it up pretty hard - but as NUMEROUS people have stated (and since the "other forum" prides itself on "stock sucks" - as do most of us) - once you get it right - THERE IS NOTHING BETTER - In my opinion - and that's all it is - an opinion.

NUMBER 2 - It is inevitable that the haters/bashers will come and bash ANYTHING that contradicts there specific line of Kool-aide - but I HAVE NO BIAS - and when you post with a hidden agenda - ITS SO OBVIOUS. Trust us - You're not fooling anyone.

NUMBER 3 - NOT EVERYONE IS GOING TO LIKE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ... NO WAY do we all bag this - and ya know what ... what I like about Wrx .... That's cool. I AM SO FREAKING WORN OUT with all the "tour version" this ... and this is better that ... COOL !!!!!!!!! - I NEVER go on a thread and say ... "OOOO - Thats sucks" ... Golden rule guys ... and if you hate the Cobra - COOL !!!!!!!!!... I have NO problem with criticism - just make it objective - I don't think any of us mind that ....

The only thing I DO KNOW .. Is that of the NUMEROUS PMs & emails I have returned and tried to help OPEN-MINDED people with this driver - I have yet to hear aweful this thing is .... NEVER. Once right - It IS the longest / straightest / most forgiving driver I have ever known.

As far as all the "Max CT" & "tour version" this & that & "too bad it's a retail" - and me supplying a driver for testing ... I DON'T NEED anyones test results - I already have my own - It BLEW AWAY everything I own - and I own them all. Cobra doesn't care what So&So's robot testing says - AT ALL - TRUST ME - I KNOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - They don't give a damn - and if someones testing shows how average it is - it will be further proof on just how biased that test it.

Look ... It's golf guys - It's what we are passionate about. Time is short ENJOY .... If you don't like or doubt this driver - COOL !!!!!!!!!!!! ... I will still read posts about every other driver out there - and buy a few here and there I am sure. IT'S ALL GOOD .... But as we all know "the haters" always come - sometimes those same haters have a smile on their face and infer a positive attitude - but the hate always comes out .... it is truly inevitable ...

Onward we go .... Who else has some new toys we can read about .. I may have to have one ;)[/quote]

Robo,

Can you clear up a couple things?

[i]"Totally untrue. If Rob wants to stop talking about it, that's his prerogative. I was actually asked to lock a thread which I elected NOT to, but I'm not going to sit and listen to this type of bs. Thread closed. Thank yourselves."[/i]

where you asked to stop talking about your experiences with this retail driver on the 'shill site'?

what does you driver garage look like right now?

Golf Digest "hot list" had there little graph under each driver tested(yes and blazing SS of 90mph, no doubt!), but what I found interesting is they rated the Other Cobra LD much higher and shown it had much less spin than the L4v(and stated that cobra made some big changes with the driver this year(have you got your hands on the 'new' LD yet???
Josh

[quote name='Metalhead' post='854354' date='Jan 8 2008, 10:23 AM']Robo,

[i]"Totally untrue. If Rob wants to stop talking about it, that's his prerogative. I was actually asked to lock a thread which I elected NOT to, but I'm not going to sit and listen to this type of bs. Thread closed. Thank yourselves."[/i]

where you asked to stop talking about your experiences with this retail driver on the 'shill site'?

Golf Digest "hot list" had there little graph under each driver tested(yes and blazing SS of 90mph, no doubt!), but what I found interesting is they rated the Other Cobra LD much higher and shown it had much less spin than the L4v(and stated that cobra made some big changes with the driver this year(have you got your hands on the 'new' LD yet???
Josh[/quote]

Easy questions first ... The garage is pretty full - but not as bad some would think - cuz I only have 1 set of irons ;)

I saw those test results ... I am aware of the "changes" pending. I can actually see where they way that GD tests that the LD is lower spin - and it probably is ... but that's spin - not HEAT :cheesy: - Players club / HAMMER - 2 different deals. Can't comment on new toys YET :cheesy:

As far as BSG ... Look ... I HAVE ALWAYS said - That's Todd's deal - PERIOD - end of story. It's his - he owns it - controls it - coontrols what is said etc. My thread started a tidal wave - and some things were said that I DID NOT & DO NOT agree with - we kind of got into a tiff - very tiny. I DID!!!!!!!!!!! tell Todd if he wanted to delete that thread - I didn't care - cuz it's his board. BUT - In fairness to myself - I had already decided that I WAS !!!!!!!!! going to talk about this driver - and it was made clear they were tired of hearing about it - I had already come to Wrx - and I WILL NOT SHUT UP about it ... so I laid my line in the sand and I was done. I do not want to post much abot that - cuz it's just not healthy - BUT HERE I am ... and I still think this drives NUKES all the high $$ inventory I purchased to date with ease .... but I DID 100% ABSOLUTELY did tell Todd to kill that thread at his discretion cuz it was causing an uproar of sorts - 100% accurate. I could have locked it myself in retrospect.

[quote name='ROBOPTI' post='854399' date='Jan 8 2008, 08:51 AM'][quote name='Metalhead' post='854354' date='Jan 8 2008, 10:23 AM']Robo,

Josh[/quote]

Easy questions first ... The garage is pretty full - but not as bad some would think - cuz I only have 1 set of irons ;)

I saw those test results ... I am aware of the "changes" pending. I can actually see where they way that GD tests that the LD is lower spin - and it probably is ... but that's spin - not HEAT :cheesy: - Players club / HAMMER - 2 different deals. Can't comment on new toys YET :cheesy:

[b]As far as BSG ... Look ... I HAVE ALWAYS said - That's Todd's deal - PERIOD - end of story. It's his - he owns it - controls it - coontrols what is said etc.[/b] My thread started a tidal wave - and some things were said that I DID NOT & DO NOT agree with - we kind of got into a tiff - very tiny. I DID!!!!!!!!!!! tell Todd if he wanted to delete that thread - I didn't care - cuz it's his board. BUT - In fairness to myself - I had already decided that I WAS !!!!!!!!! going to talk about this driver - and it was made clear they were tired of hearing about it - I had already come to Wrx - and I WILL NOT SHUT UP about it ... so I laid my line in the sand and I was done. I do not want to post much abot that - cuz it's just not healthy - BUT HERE I am ... and I still think this drives NUKES all the high $$ inventory I purchased to date with ease .... but I DID 100% ABSOLUTELY did tell Todd to kill that thread at his discretion cuz it was causing an uproar of sorts - 100% accurate. I could have locked it myself in retrospect.
[/quote]

The beautiful thing is that we have a choice.