2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

COBRA L4V - The BOMB!!!!

ROBOPTI

OK, update after 4 rounds with my L4V X, Protopype 70X @ 44.5". The Bridgestone, safe to say, is bye bye. I have missed 7 fairways in my last 4 rounds. I can cut it, after working with it a bit, I can now draw it too. I can hit it high with ease, and I can hit the low "stinger". Despite its size, it's a very workable driver, and it is LONGGGGG! Yesterday, on a par 4 that normally leaves me with about 120-130 yards into the green, I had about 75 yards. Now this is not normal, but I have seen a consistent 10-12 yard gain with this club. When I nuke one, the difference between this one and the Bridgestone is ridiculous! I love the fact that I have picked up a few yards with this driver, but what I love more is the fact that now, even on holes where I would hit an iron to make sure I found the fairway, I now have no fear of yanking the cover off this thing and swinging it on any hole. And to make it even better, I don't have to put a "control" swing on it, I can rip at it as hard as I want to, and don't have to worry about any really crazy drives. Even coming out of my shoes, the ball is only going to stray a little bit. This thing is absolutely SICK!

Glad to see your Stoked Champ,

im going to buy a second one tomorrow and get an Adila MOI Proto installed, , and stick the J33 in the Garage .................im pretty pumped at these clubs.........

TM M3 440 9" Degree / 661 111 in X spec Speeder Shaft
TM M3 15 Fairway / 757 Speeder Shaft S Spec
Ping G25 17deg Hybrid Accra Shaft X Spec
Mizuno MP18 Blades Modus 3 Tours 3-PW - S Flex
Titleist SM 6 50, 54 & 58
Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour only

I have no idea where it says the F is 2* closed, but mine and everyone I've seen sits dead square.

it may have some internal weighting to give it a draw bias, but looks the same as the X at address.

mate ive got no idea either but apparently the F is the slightest of Draws, even up against the X they look so close i cant even tell

OK, update after 4 rounds with my L4V X, Protopype 70X @ 44.5". The Bridgestone, safe to say, is bye bye. I have missed 7 fairways in my last 4 rounds. I can cut it, after working with it a bit, I can now draw it too. I can hit it high with ease, and I can hit the low "stinger". Despite its size, it's a very workable driver, and it is LONGGGGG! Yesterday, on a par 4 that normally leaves me with about 120-130 yards into the green, I had about 75 yards. Now this is not normal, but I have seen a consistent 10-12 yard gain with this club. When I nuke one, the difference between this one and the Bridgestone is ridiculous! I love the fact that I have picked up a few yards with this driver, but what I love more is the fact that now, even on holes where I would hit an iron to make sure I found the fairway, I now have no fear of yanking the cover off this thing and swinging it on any hole. And to make it even better, I don't have to put a "control" swing on it, I can rip at it as hard as I want to, and don't have to worry about any really crazy drives. Even coming out of my shoes, the ball is only going to stray a little bit. This thing is absolutely SICK!

EXACTLY how I feel ... It's not just the length ... It's the UNCONSCIOUS decision to just grab the Big Dog and rip it ... Cuz I'm 1000% confident about where it's going and I can hit any shot with it :good:

GREAT review !!!!!!!!!

Glad to see your Stoked Champ,

im going to buy a second one tomorrow and get an Adila MOI Proto installed, , and stick the J33 in the Garage .................im pretty pumped at these clubs.........

I'm an Aldila fan - ALWAYS have been ... but TRUST ME !!!!!!!!!

Try Epic 68X :cheesy: ..... Trust me

EPIC 68X ??? got a web link for a perve , ive not heard of that mate :good:

Grafalloy Epic 68X - VERY common shaft ... Easy to get :cheesy:

www.grafalloy.com

Thanks ROB,

Found it , i will order one 2mrw for my other Cobra L4V

Cheers

:good:

Robo-

I have the aldila protopype 60x in a L4v right now and think the ball flight is a little low. I read your post on the Epic 68x and was wondering if you think it will raise the ball flight just a little without sacrificing the accuracy of this previous combo.

YES to both !!! .. It definitely hits higher than the pype. The reason I chose Epic was it's LOW dispersion (which I believe to be an accurate claim). It just flies forever on a string

Works EXTREMELY well in this head ....

Given most guys have upgraded the shaft, what length pull do you need to make this up to a 45 inch playing length?

Just measured my stock Redboard pull and it's 44" with the grip. Cobra says the stock length is 45" but I never measured mine to be sure.

Thanks. Sounds about right as its has a very shallow hosel and 1.5 inch insertion depth meaning it is only 1 inch short of thru bore then. Not one to easily re-shaft with a pull though

Well, I finally got some time away from work, hit the range Saturday and Sunday (NCAA Tournament on the course Sunday, so range time only), and played nine holes today. It has been about a month since I was actually swing a club at a ball, and I did not have high hopes for the range time..boy was I mistaken. Hit my wedges okay..irons were shaky....but the L4V....I would wager I had about 10-15 yards of total dispersion...I could not hit a quarter mile wide target with the Burner, but the L4V was just point and shoot....God I love this driver!!!!

Still using the VTLT, a certain someone that shall go nameless is inching me towards trying an Epic in the second head, which means a Kamo pullout will likely be available soon.

ALSO!!!!!! I played with the new Nike One Platinum today...HOLY COW THIS BALL IS AMAZING. I know there has been talk of it spinning too much, have to bring some serious heat to get it to really work...blah blah blah. It fits the L4V PERFECTLY for me, it is super long, great spin from the irons, and buttery soft to putt with. It has been awhile, but a Nike product has actually made it's way in to my bag....Big time kudos to Nike for this engineering masterpiece :good:

See the fellow Kool Aid Brigade members in the short stuff...this round is on me...again!!!!!!

Brian

EXACTLY how I feel ... It's not just the length ... It's the UNCONSCIOUS decision to just grab the Big Dog and rip it ... Cuz I'm 1000% confident about where it's going and I can hit any shot with it :cheesy:

GREAT review !!!!!!!!!

Rob,

What about your FTi LCG 7.5*?

I'm getting dizzy here. :good:

:cheesy:

Rob,

That's what I'm talking about Joe. Between the thread views on this driver and all the L4V's suddenly popping up in the BST, I think it's waaaaaaay past due for a new review!

Ping G425 LST w/ GD Tour AD DI 7

TaylorMade Sim 2 Ti w/ Kuro Kage 70

Ping G425 4H w/ GD Tour AD DI 85

Titleist 718 T-MB 4i w/ GD Tour AD DI 85

TaylorMade P790 5-PW w/ MMT 125

Ping i210 UW

Ping Glide 4 Stealth 54/58

Ping PLD Olso 3

EXACTLY how I feel ... It's not just the length ... It's the UNCONSCIOUS decision to just grab the Big Dog and rip it ... Cuz I'm 1000% confident about where it's going and I can hit any shot with it :cheesy:

GREAT review !!!!!!!!!

Rob,

Yeah Robo, kind of a thread jack but just because we love the L fo' V doesn't mean us ho's don't want to hear about other drivers. :cheesy: I hated the regular FT-i because of the spin but the LCG in 7.5* sounds like that problem is fixed! Actually I'm just being nosy because I'll be trying out another L fo' V head in a few other shafts before I try anything else. Still killing the PM 702 but my next head will have a UST Tour shop V2 96x just to see what something heavier will do.

GREAT review !!!!!!!!!

Rob,

Joe - The FT-I just didn't cut it for me .,... I like it ... It's long - but the L4 is better in all aspects ... Just gonna end up another toy - but I had to try :cheesy:

GREAT review !!!!!!!!!

Rob,

Joe - The FT-I just didn't cut it for me .,... I like it ... It's long - but the L4 is better in all aspects ... Just gonna end up another toy - but I had to try :cheesy:

So i just need some input from you which one is your game now, this way i can follow your hunger to feed you with the right taste. :cheesy:

I'm not a fool buying 7.5 since i don't have the swing to handle it :cheesy:

Joe

Rob,

I'm getting dizzy here. :cheesy:

That's what I'm talking about Joe. Between the thread views on this driver and all the L4V's suddenly popping up in the BST, I think it's waaaaaaay past due for a new review!

:good: I don't see a ton suddenly popping up in BST....am I missing something? I know I have been away for a little while...but surely a ton of L4Vs popping up in BST would have caught my eye. The only thing I have seen was people selling them mostly because they need more loft on it. Heck, alot of people on the thread have even said the same thing, alot of people are gonna need more loft because it is so wicked low spin.

I am not saying this is the end all driver for everyone, no club will ever been for everyone...I am just not seeing the mass exodus of L4V on the BST market????

Brian

First round of the year tomorrow for me...FINALLY!!! :good:

Picked up a Bushnell Pinseeker TE 1500 tonight. Been wanting one of these for a while. I'll use it tomorrow. I'll be able to get some nice accurate measurements for my drives, as well as yardages to the flags. Wow...lots of toys making their debut for me tomorrow. Should be interesting. My home course isn't open yet, but the course I'm most likely going to play has 5 Par 5's... :cheesy: ...Bitchin'!! It's gonna be a little soggy still...but I don't care!! Gotta' tee it up sometime. BOMBS AWAY!!

LaTeR...pHiL.

Rob,

:good: I don't see a ton suddenly popping up in BST....am I missing something? I know I have been away for a little while...but surely a ton of L4Vs popping up in BST would have caught my eye. The only thing I have seen was people selling them mostly because they need more loft on it. Heck, alot of people on the thread have even said the same thing, alot of people are gonna need more loft because it is so wicked low spin.

I am not saying this is the end all driver for everyone, no club will ever been for everyone...I am just not seeing the mass exodus of L4V on the BST market????

Brian

Exactly what I was thinking. I've been looking for my 2nd X head and haven't seen one. I did see the one with the Xcon 5 but I don't want to pay extra for a shaft I know I won't like. Ebay is full of M's and F's but a lot of them are brand new in the plastic. I was hoping my local golf store had some returns but no such luck either. Plenty of G10 returns though. At Roger Dunn you have 90 days to return any piece of equipment for a full credit and they put them back on the shelves with the new ones. Some of them look like they had 10 rounds on them before they finally gave up on them. Anywho, I'm not seeing the exodus either. Not the L4V one at least.

Rob,

Brian

I think there have been 3 or 4 pop up on BST in the last couple days which is surprising given this thread.

Also, some of the new Titleist irons too.

Just waiting for the furor to subside and jump in for the kill!

I got my bottle yesterday. "F" with Aldila VS Proto....

This thing is really brutal. MAybe not longer than the "others" but one thing

is shure you can hit it as hard as you can it is going nice high straight.

One question pops up: if I hit it absolutely pure than it seems to be the spin is

going up. Is it possible or is it my "overpowered" swing?

Finally got around to reshafting mine today. I've been wanting to give the Grafalloy Platnium a try and thought this was the time, but no, my club guy didn't have any in stock and couldn't get one through where he regularly orders from in time for me. I leave in a few days for a month long business trip in Florida. I decided to go with the Prolaunch Red instead, X flex.

The head of my X weighed in at 205 grams, finished length of 45", D6 swingweight, tipped 1/4" and frequenced out at 262 cpms.

I'm going to get in a round tomorrow before I leave and hopefully I can get on a launch monitor while in Florida.

Anyone try a Aldila VS Proto in this thing? I have been hitting the Protopype 60 in it for awhile and its ok but dosent just blow my socks off...I have the VS Proto 80 in my 13.5 906F4 and I KILL this thing...was thinking about putting in a VS Proto 60 in this baby...thoughts?

Titleist TSi2 10° w/Ventus Blue 6x w/VeloCore

Titleist TSi2 15° w/Ventus Blue 7x w/VeloCore
Titleist TSi2 21° w/Ventus Blue 8x w/VeloCore
Titleist T100S (2021) 4-PW w/PX LZ 6.0
Vokey SM8 Raw 52.12F, 56.10S, and 60.08M
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5 34"
Pro V1

Nice pics. That is the F and it doesn't look too closed. In fact it might be sqaure!

I was told that the F is actually Square , could be wrong but thats what i was told when i got fitted up :good:

I concur both of my L4V F's sits nice and square! If anyone is looking for an L4V F10* w/ Fuji VTLT X I have for sale on BST or PM me!

Qi10 Max 9* ~ TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

JDM Cally X Forged star~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Bridgestone RXS

Vessel Lux XV cartbag

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

Anyone try a Aldila VS Proto in this thing? I have been hitting the Protopype 60 in it for awhile and its ok but dosent just blow my socks off...I have the VS Proto 80 in my 13.5 906F4 and I KILL this thing...was thinking about putting in a VS Proto 60 in this baby...thoughts?

I just put a DVS 65 in a 10* F head and it hits it high and spins much less than stock redboard. I think the DVS may launch higher than the VS, but I've hit the VS in another head and the DVS feels very similar.

Bringing mine out again tomorrow to give the Blue Board one more shot. If it doesn't work I think I will go 702. I am just not sure how well the high launch I get with it will hold up on the windy courses I play.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max TD 9° Project X Denali Blue 60

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Wilson Staff Model RB Utility (3 or 4?) HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 90

Wilson Dynapower Forged 5-G UST Recoil Dart 105

Wilson Staff Model ZM 56°-12° (Bent to 55°) and 60°-08° 

Royal Payne RP009 359g KBS GPS

Can a driver really increase your clubspeed?

Yes . I finally took my L4V to a launch monitor with my Burner TP and I had a increase of between 3 to 5 mph on average.Is it because you fully trust that the ball will go straight and you swing without fear or tension.Kinda mystified but I guess the numbers don't lie.

BTW my Cobra has a WB 63s tipped 1" playing at 45 and the Burner has a Blueboard63s tipped a1/2"also at 45.

I have no idea where it says the F is 2* closed, but mine and everyone I've seen sits dead square.

it may have some internal weighting to give it a draw bias, but looks the same as the X at address.

It is said here: Cobra Website

I only have the X and it sits dead square as mentioned on their website.

Never saw an F so I can't comment on that... Sorry, just wanted to help.