2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

1968 Article on New Aluminum Golf Shafts

I’ve been eyeing a set of irons on eBay for a bit as they are in beautiful, all-original condition but unfortunately, come with aluminum shafts. Now all I know about aluminum shafts is what I’ve read here and the responses haven’t been good. Googling more info about aluminum shafts I came across this article from 1968.

http://archive.lib.msu.edu/tic/golfd/article/1968feb36.pdf

Interesting read to see how excited manufacturers were regarding this new technology which was gone in just a few short years.

As for the clubs I’m looking at, I’m still on the fence.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've a set of aluminium shafted irons made by Golfcraft. I think they're called Joe Kirkwood signature irons. I got them at the end of last year, but I've yet to take them to a course (partly because I haven't been able to play golf for the last two months), but I have practised with them. They are certainly...different. In terms of feel, centre strikes weren't as rewarding as those with steel shafted-irons. An interesting set to own, but I won't be playing them much. In fact, I may well try to sell them after playing them once, unless they really perform.

Also, as mentioned in the article, the shaft diameters are quite different, so re-shafting heads would be problematic. Not sure a simple shim would do it. In fact, if anyone has any experience of re-shafting heads built for aluminium shafts with steel shafts, I'd like to hear how it went.

I found two sets of the same irons. One in mint condition with the aluminum shafts, the other in nice, albeit slightly rougher shape with the TT Pro Fit shaft. Put a bid in on the Pro Fit shaft set which is the same as my 58 Wilson’s so I have a bit of familiarity with the shafts. The aluminum shaft are lovely but if they don’t have the feel Ill go with the slightly less minty set.

> @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> I've a set of aluminium shafted irons made by Golfcraft. I think they're called Joe Kirkwood signature irons. I got them at the end of last year, but I've yet to take them to a course (partly because I haven't been able to play golf for the last two months), but I have practised with them. They are certainly...different. In terms of feel, centre strikes weren't as rewarding as those with steel shafted-irons. An interesting set to own, but I won't be playing them much. In fact, I may well try to sell them after playing them once, unless they really perform.

> Also, as mentioned in the article, the shaft diameters are quite different, so re-shafting heads would be problematic. Not sure a simple shim would do it. In fact, if anyone has any experience of re-shafting heads built for aluminium shafts with steel shafts, I'd like to hear how it went.

Yeah, it seems that the aluminum od is close to .390” which would mean .370 parallel tip shafts with shims to get the right fit.

Like I said, the aluminum shafts are mint but not looking to swap out the shafts if they don’t work out.

My first real set of irons and woods were Button Back Wilson Staff Patty Berg models with aluminum shafts. They were new in the box but 2 years old at the time. I started picking up strength and speed about a year later and attribute them to me developing my rope hook problem. I switched to a set of Citation woods with "C" shafts and a set of Spalding Elite 333 customs with X-100 shafts. Never have messed with an aluminum shaft since. The old man was a Wilson dealer at the time and him being the tightwad he was more than likely got them for free because that was the time all the stuff came out about aluminum shafts. And yep I ran into the shaft diameter problem re shafting a set of 67 Spalding Executives for a friend of mine that had came with aluminum shafts. I absolutely detest shimming anything over .010

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

I bought a set of LH 1969 Haig Ultras with aluminum shafts for $9 at a yard sale around 15 years ago. Regripped them, I played them very often for years. Very good clubs. Never saw any detriment with the aluminum.

Some years ago, I had two eagles a week apart on different holes, with the Haig 8 iron. Probably will never repeat that.

Haven't played those clubs for a few years, though.

> I've a set of aluminium shafted irons made by Golfcraft. I think they're called Joe Kirkwood signature irons. I got them at the end of last year, but I've yet to take them to a course (partly because I haven't been able to play golf for the last two months), but I have practised with them. They are certainly...different. In terms of feel, centre strikes weren't as rewarding as those with steel shafted-irons. An interesting set to own, but I won't be playing them much. In fact, I may well try to sell them after playing them once, unless they really perform.

> Also, as mentioned in the article, the shaft diameters are quite different, so re-shafting heads would be problematic. Not sure a simple shim would do it. In fact, if anyone has any experience of re-shafting heads built for aluminium shafts with steel shafts, I'd like to hear how it went.

I remember in the late '70's a customer came into my shop with a set of aluminum shafted Maxfli irons with bent tips from hitting off of mats. I pulled the shafts and installed Dynamic over the hosel shafts (.395") that were available back in the day. As I recall the only issue was with swingweight being a bit heavy.

> @raggal62 said:

> > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > I've a set of aluminium shafted irons made by Golfcraft. I think they're called Joe Kirkwood signature irons. I got them at the end of last year, but I've yet to take them to a course (partly because I haven't been able to play golf for the last two months), but I have practised with them. They are certainly...different. In terms of feel, centre strikes weren't as rewarding as those with steel shafted-irons. An interesting set to own, but I won't be playing them much. In fact, I may well try to sell them after playing them once, unless they really perform.

> > Also, as mentioned in the article, the shaft diameters are quite different, so re-shafting heads would be problematic. Not sure a simple shim would do it. In fact, if anyone has any experience of re-shafting heads built for aluminium shafts with steel shafts, I'd like to hear how it went.

>

> I remember in the late '70's a customer came into my shop with a set of aluminum shafted Maxfli irons with bent tips from hitting off of mats. I pulled the shafts and installed Dynamic over the hosel shafts (.395") that were available back in the day. As I recall the only issue was with swingweight being a bit heavy.

Good point. The swing weight is something I'd overlooked, but there was an inference in the posted article. With aluminium shafts, they made the heads heavier, so a reshaft with steel is likely to produce something pretty high on the SW scale. Graphite or lighter steel shafts (like the NSPRO 950s) might be OK, but I don't think they make a parallel tip.

> @deejaid said:

> > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > I've a set of aluminium shafted irons made by Golfcraft. I think they're called Joe Kirkwood signature irons. I got them at the end of last year, but I've yet to take them to a course (partly because I haven't been able to play golf for the last two months), but I have practised with them. They are certainly...different. In terms of feel, centre strikes weren't as rewarding as those with steel shafted-irons. An interesting set to own, but I won't be playing them much. In fact, I may well try to sell them after playing them once, unless they really perform.

> > Also, as mentioned in the article, the shaft diameters are quite different, so re-shafting heads would be problematic. Not sure a simple shim would do it. In fact, if anyone has any experience of re-shafting heads built for aluminium shafts with steel shafts, I'd like to hear how it went.

>

> Yeah, it seems that the aluminum od is close to .390” which would mean .370 parallel tip shafts with shims to get the right fit.

>

> Like I said, the aluminum shafts are mint but not looking to swap out the shafts if they don’t work out.

>

>

I say give them a try, depending on the price of course. I don't regret buying mine, because I paid next to nothing for them. Mind you, the seller listed them as having steel shafts, and I was going to lodge a complaint at first, then I thought, "hey, bit of golf history here" and decided to give them a try.

> > @deejaid said:

> > > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > I've a set of aluminium shafted irons made by Golfcraft. I think they're called Joe Kirkwood signature irons. I got them at the end of last year, but I've yet to take them to a course (partly because I haven't been able to play golf for the last two months), but I have practised with them. They are certainly...different. In terms of feel, centre strikes weren't as rewarding as those with steel shafted-irons. An interesting set to own, but I won't be playing them much. In fact, I may well try to sell them after playing them once, unless they really perform.

> > > Also, as mentioned in the article, the shaft diameters are quite different, so re-shafting heads would be problematic. Not sure a simple shim would do it. In fact, if anyone has any experience of re-shafting heads built for aluminium shafts with steel shafts, I'd like to hear how it went.

> >

> > Yeah, it seems that the aluminum od is close to .390” which would mean .370 parallel tip shafts with shims to get the right fit.

> >

> > Like I said, the aluminum shafts are mint but not looking to swap out the shafts if they don’t work out.

> >

> >

> I say give them a try, depending on the price of course. I don't regret buying mine, because I paid next to nothing for them. Mind you, the seller listed them as having steel shafts, and I was going to lodge a complaint at first, then I thought, "hey, bit of golf history here" and decided to give them a try.

Well I won the auction for the set with the TT Pro Fit regular flex steel shaft so I’ll pass on the aluminum shafts for now. Also, they are sets from a pretty uncommon maker, Fernquest & Johnson, so I didn’t want to spend too much money on a set that not much is known about. I know how the Pro Fit shaft plays so now the only variable is the head design as compared to my 58 Dyna’s.

Yeah, I should have given that 8-iron of yours a swing just to check it out.

Price difference is a big factor. The Pro Fit shafted set in nice used condition $39. The Mint set with aluminum shafts $200. So it was a no-brainer for me to try the Pro Fit shafted set first. If they are magical and I decide I really want a mint condition set for the collection I then grab the aluminum set.

I really just wanted to build an all-California made bag. So Cal made Stan Thompson woods with Bay Area made Fernquest and Johnson irons. Seemed like fun.