Ping Headquarters/Plant Tour

hull17rw

G10 & i10 Saw a lot being made in a 2 hour period WOW!
Hi Everyone, I posted a topic in the flatstick forum that was more about putters here is the link:
http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?sh...mp;hl=Ping+Tour

I just got back from Phoenix and I took the tour of the Ping plant. They were making a lot of product in fact at the time they were running 3 8 hour shifts, thats 24 hours straight of making clubs. I was able to take a look at the fitting center and range. Our tour guide said they recently had to put up a net in the back as Bubba Watson and some other Ping Tour Professionals were clearing the back of the range which is 350 yards, they previously did not have a net in the back. I was able to view the wax casting trees and then the slurry ceramic trees once wax is removed. We were able to handle unfinished clubs before tree posts were ground off the bottom of the club. I saw the polishing room, were about 50 people are polishing the clubs before finishing and they let us hold clubheads that were still hot off the polishers. They we went to the shop where the Guyson finish was applied, the clubhead went in unfinished and came out almost instantly with the Guyson finish applied. Next was the Paintfill room were they added the paintfill to all the heads and then they added the CTP (Custom Tuning Ports) inserts. The CTP's are also weighted so they can adjust swingweight to customers request or to get the club to D0, what they call the Ping standard for headweight. Depending on the length of the club they need a lighter or heavier CTP. We also visited Pings Rubber room were they are able to make all their own CTP inserts, putter inserts and bag and top bottoms. They also showed us machines that at one time were used to make parts for NASA. This was the same room where they made the famous Ping golfballs with the 2 colors. The bag tops and bottoms are one piece of plastic that come out of a mold and we were able to handle them hot off the mold. They showed us the medium material they use for this and it is basically a plastic pellet with a few black dye pellets so they can get the black color as the medium material is clear. We then proceeded to the assembly area where the clubheads were attatched to the shaft with epoxy and they use a driver for steel shafts to get the shaft into the head and with graphite the guy slams the butt end of the shaft on a metal pad to get the graphite shaft into the heads (The driver they use for irons cracks graphite so they do it by hand). They apply ferrules to the Tour and S58 heads before reshafting. The clubs are then placed into a dryer that super speeds the epoxy drying process. The clubs then go to the grip station where the grippers apply the tape and grip in only a couple of seconds (As fast as I have ever seen), there was a Women who puts the tape on by twirling the club and it goes on perfect everytime. The best part of this area was the guys doind the loft and lie, they literally have a computer that will not let them continue unless the lie is perfect (You would think this would happen often, Nope!) they would put the club in the vise hit it once and get the perfect lie everytime, it is suprising how hard they hit the club with the mallet. The clubs then go through the packaging station where they are wrapped up in the famous Ping paper towel wrapping and plastic wrap, they are then put in a box and shipping label is printed. The tour concludes and you can head over to the club repair department. If you live in Phoenix and play Pings you are lucky! You can walk in there and they will do anything within a few hours and the cost of this was very reasonable (CHEAP). They have all kinds of hats and divot tools and stuff you can buy only there. I picked up a Divot tool ball marker and they gave everyone a Key Chain for free. Amazingly the cost of the Tour is Free! I was just amazed at the amount of clubs being produced, and Ping does not make any clubs until they have been ordered and paid for, they are a Zero debt company. They own the land and buildings, the machinery and all shafts and stuff are paid for. I had a great time! :rolleyes:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the info. I would love to visit the factory some time. I have always heard the bending process was very cool.

Whether you play Pings or not you owe it to yourself to go do the tour. The bending process is pretty cool and it is amazing how hard they hit the clubs without them breaking or cracking. My Brother asked them if they ever have a club break and what happens. The Tour guide said when they have to go 4* up or down with the lie, is when the breaking sometimes happens (Very rare though). I forgot to mention in my original post that Ping does a heat treating process on their irons, the were really stressing this and they sang the praises of the softer feel, no air pockets in they metal (reduces hot shots and dud shots) and this process is what allows them to bend the club so easily. All iron casting is done at Pings own Metal works. The casting takes part about 5 miles from Pings headquarters, so you do not see the casting being done but you see the trees with the clubs and the cut trees. Glad you guys enjoyed the write up! By the way they introduced us to quite a few employees that have worked for Ping for almost 25 years amazing! This is a great U.S.A. company. I like that!

Any pics??? Sounds like a typical manufacturing company...

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

Aren't the drivers, fairways and hybrids made overseas? What about the S58?

I live in Phoenix, but have never taken the tour. I am even a member of Moon Valley where Karsten's wife still lives near the clubhouse and John lives on the ridge overlooking the club.

Even worse, I play TaylorMade woods and irons. I always feel a little embarrased when she walks by. No reason to be embarrased, of course, just human nature.

Do they allow you to take pictures during the tour?

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

Any pics??? Sounds like a typical manufacturing company...

They do not allow any pictures to be taken. Company secrets and all probably. It may be somewhat typical but try to take a tour at any of the other club companys, they will probably laugh at you! I did take a photo of me and my family by the Karsten Company sign out front, but nothing of the tour it is prohibited.

Aren't the drivers, fairways and hybrids made overseas? What about the S58?

I live in Phoenix, but have never taken the tour. I am even a member of Moon Valley where Karsten's wife still lives near the clubhouse and John lives on the ridge overlooking the club.

Even worse, I play TaylorMade woods and irons. I always feel a little embarrased when she walks by. No reason to be embarrased, of course, just human nature.

Yes all metalwood heads are made overseas. The S58 irons are made in Arizona at Pings own casting facility. I saw them grinding S58's and polishing them and doing the paintfill. Take the tour, you will be playing Pings before you know it. :rolleyes:

Can we have a moratorium on that annoying 'This thread is worthless...' icon?

Many threads aren't worthless without pics.

The presence of that icon is invariably annoying though. And actually is worthless.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

The more I read about Ping the more I want to buy a set. Is Callaway even close to doing as much of the work in the U.S.?

Brian

PXG 0811 XF Gen 4 10.5 Evenflow Riptide 50 A
PXG 0211 5 Wood 18 Evenflow Riptide 50A
PXG 0211 Hybrid 22 Mitsubishi MMT 60 A
PXG 0211 XCor 2 6-LW Mitsubishi MMT 60 A
Ping Anser 2 Karsten 1959

Ping Traverse

Kirkland Performance Plus V2

The more I read about Ping the more I want to buy a set. Is Callaway even close to doing as much of the work in the U.S.?

Brian

I cannot answer for sure on this but I doubt it. Ping prides itself on doing as much clubmaking in the U.S. as possible and 100% assembly in the U.S. right in Phoenix Arizona. I have never read that Callaway has their own foundry where they can make their own iron heads and it would not suprise me if some clubs were assembled overseas as well. Some one correct me if I am wrong because again I am not 100% sure. If you have been thinking about buying a set of clubs, buy Pings as the performance and craftsmanship speak for themselves, and they are making some incredible clubs in the G10 and i10 product.

Did the training class to become a certified Ping Clubfitter and the Tour was on the first day. Simply incdredible! Standing in the foundry where the metal was being poured was amazing and H-O-T! Spent an hour or so in the WRX dept and got to see where the Pros test out. A must for any club enthusiast.

ST190 9.5°-->10.5° Kiyoshi BLK Proto 65X | Tour '17 M2 16° Kiyoshi BLK 75 X  | Tour Cobra Baffler T Rail 17.5° OBAN 100 | Cobra Forged Tour CB 4-Pw KBS Tour FLT 120 | RTX-4 50°- 54°- 58°  T.I. S400 | Spider X Ghost

• 3 months later...
Did the training class to become a certified Ping Clubfitter and the Tour was on the first day. Simply incdredible! Standing in the foundry where the metal was being poured was amazing and H-O-T! Spent an hour or so in the WRX dept and got to see where the Pros test out. A must for any club enthusiast.

i'm headed to Phoenix on Monday morning for the week to attend the training program...can't wait! :drinks:

really looking forward to seeing the vault of gold tournament winning putters.

It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf. -Robert Wilson Lynd