2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Titleist 714 AP2 versus 718 AP2

sheldonjhacker

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not much in it to be honest. I think the CB is forgiving as AP2 though so maybe I'm not the best to answer. I owned both and they are great clubs. That said, I never bent them flat and now I know I need 1-1.5 flat from Titleist standard to get optimal results. Basically, the difference is the leading edge makes a huge difference on the 718 for my swing, and the feel is drastically better. The 718, although it has the Titleist click, feels like a solid one piece iron. The 714 feels hollow and strange to me. You'll get a ball speed boost and probably a bit less spin while retaining height with the 718. IMO it's a better iron all around but it wouldn't be overly noticeable on monitor or in flight/results. The main thing is that the 718 looks and feels better. Forgiveness is nearly a wash because though the MOI is higher on 718 it's a slightly smaller overall look. Also they are much better with shafts other than the tour white AMT for me..

> @balls_deep said:

> > @sheldonjhacker said:

> > Thanks BD...very helpful !

>

> No problem. Have you ever tried the 716 or 718 CB? IMO just as forgiving as AP2 and looks/feels much better.

For what it's worth, in the 718 range Maltby's measurements of the CB and AP2 tend to agree with BD's own experience of the two clubs. Numerically, geometrically, there just isn't much in it between them. I guess they must now be putting the big tunsten weights into the 718 CB like they do the 718 AP2.

The CB is a more compact looking head. Looking at the CB's in a friend's bag and at my AP2's the sole looks a little less Game-Improvement-ish on the CB and the length of the clubhead is very slightly shorter.

But based on the MOI and CG type numbers, it seems to me you could choose between 718 CB and AP2 purely based on your preferences for appearance and turf interaction. In the usual meaning of "forgiveness" (i.e. toe hits, thin hits, getting the ball up easily) they ought to be more alike than different.

> @"North Butte" said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > > @sheldonjhacker said:

> > > Thanks BD...very helpful !

> >

> > No problem. Have you ever tried the 716 or 718 CB? IMO just as forgiving as AP2 and looks/feels much better.

>

> For what it's worth, in the 718 range Maltby's measurements of the CB and AP2 tend to agree with BD's own experience of the two clubs. Numerically, geometrically, there just isn't much in it between them. I guess they must now be putting the big tunsten weights into the 718 CB like they do the 718 AP2.

>

> The CB is a more compact looking head. Looking at the CB's in a friend's bag and at my AP2's the sole looks a little less Game-Improvement-ish on the CB and the length of the clubhead is very slightly shorter.

>

> But based on the MOI and CG type numbers, it seems to me you could choose between 718 CB and AP2 purely based on your preferences for appearance and turf interaction. In the usual meaning of "forgiveness" (i.e. toe hits, thin hits, getting the ball up easily) they ought to be more alike than different.

Yes and I believe that’s why Titleist took the tungsten out of the 5-7 irons in the 620 CB and reduced the offset even more. They said they needed to widen the gap. In fairness even though the CB felt soft in 716 and 718 it did have a slightly clippy sound. Now that I’ve added MBs to the bag you can feel a huge difference in feedback and sound without tungsten in the 7. There is literally next to no performance difference in the 716 and 718 versions of AP2 and CB. I’d argue the 716 CB was much better and for me actually more forgiving than 714 and 716 AP2 because of the LE grind. Coming in shallow from the inside my contact is much better with the grind no idea why. No digging either very efficient into and out of the turf.

If there is any major difference it is down to the leading edge grind on the 718 which should not be overlooked. IMO, it makes the two versions odf the AP2 night and day.. I could never get along with the 714s, but loved the 716. Haven't owned the 718 but hit them almost every time I go in the store and they are just easier through the bottom of the swing for me. I would agree, though, the 716/18 CB are very forgiving for a more compact head. If you are an excellent ball striker, you're probably fine with the 714 but I like the little extra help the 718 leading edge has... my J15 CB have it as well and I absolutely love the turf interaction.

Srixon ZX7 mkii 9.5 HZRDUS rdx red 60s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Srixon ZX5 mkii 3, ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless custom 34"

> @Nixhex524 said:

> If there is any major difference it is down to the leading edge grind on the 718 which should not be overlooked. IMO, it makes the two versions odf the AP2 night and day.. I could never get along with the 714s, but loved the 716. Haven't owned the 718 but hit them almost every time I go in the store and they are just easier through the bottom of the swing for me. I would agree, though, the 716/18 CB are very forgiving for a more compact head. If you are an excellent ball striker, you're probably fine with the 714 but I like the little extra help the 718 leading edge has... my J15 CB have it as well and I absolutely love the turf interaction.

So what was it they did to the leading edge in the 718 that makes it work better for you? Is it more "pre-worn" than before, something like that?

> @"North Butte" said:

> > @Nixhex524 said:

> > If there is any major difference it is down to the leading edge grind on the 718 which should not be overlooked. IMO, it makes the two versions odf the AP2 night and day.. I could never get along with the 714s, but loved the 716. Haven't owned the 718 but hit them almost every time I go in the store and they are just easier through the bottom of the swing for me. I would agree, though, the 716/18 CB are very forgiving for a more compact head. If you are an excellent ball striker, you're probably fine with the 714 but I like the little extra help the 718 leading edge has... my J15 CB have it as well and I absolutely love the turf interaction.

>

> So what was it they did to the leading edge in the 718 that makes it work better for you? Is it more "pre-worn" than before, something like that?

There is a beveled leading edge that previous models did not have in the 718 AP2, but the 716 CB did have first. The 716 AP2 did not... Its like a mini V sole, hard to explain and easy to miss if you don't look closely or hold two models up against each other but it is preworn a bit.

If you look closely enough at sets on ebay, in the right shots, you can see the difference.. hopefully these two links show enough... easier to see in person..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Titleist-AP2-716-Forged-Iron-Set-3-P-Stiff-Flex-Steel-Shafts/323922681867?hash=item4b6b4be00b:g:X5cAAOSwOahdhR96

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Titleist-AP2-718-5-PW-Irons/163876783230?hash=item2627d1447e:g:dI4AAOSwP0ZdiTmD

> @Nixhex524 said:

> > @"North Butte" said:

> > > @Nixhex524 said:

> > > If there is any major difference it is down to the leading edge grind on the 718 which should not be overlooked. IMO, it makes the two versions odf the AP2 night and day.. I could never get along with the 714s, but loved the 716. Haven't owned the 718 but hit them almost every time I go in the store and they are just easier through the bottom of the swing for me. I would agree, though, the 716/18 CB are very forgiving for a more compact head. If you are an excellent ball striker, you're probably fine with the 714 but I like the little extra help the 718 leading edge has... my J15 CB have it as well and I absolutely love the turf interaction.

> >

> > So what was it they did to the leading edge in the 718 that makes it work better for you? Is it more "pre-worn" than before, something like that?

>

> There is a beveled leading edge that previous models did not have in the 718 AP2, but the 716 CB did have first. The 716 AP2 did not... Its like a mini V sole, hard to explain and easy to miss if you don't look closely or hold two models up against each other but it is preworn a bit.

>

> If you look closely enough at sets on ebay, in the right shots, you can see the difference.. hopefully these two links show enough... easier to see in person..

>

> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Titleist-AP2-716-Forged-Iron-Set-3-P-Stiff-Flex-Steel-Shafts/323922681867?hash=item4b6b4be00b:g:X5cAAOSwOahdhR96

>

> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Titleist-AP2-718-5-PW-Irons/163876783230?hash=item2627d1447e:g:dI4AAOSwP0ZdiTmD

>

>

It’s funny, it looks like such a small feature but I actually makes a huge difference. It doesn’t catch the turf early as easily and you just peel off perfect even divots. My contact is much crisper. Shaft is also huge. 718 CB is great as the LZ is standard. Lots of cheap sets around. I really don’t like the soft long irons in the AMT set. I’m loving my set of 716.

> @Nixhex524 said:

> > @"North Butte" said:

> > > @Nixhex524 said:

> > > If there is any major difference it is down to the leading edge grind on the 718 which should not be overlooked. IMO, it makes the two versions odf the AP2 night and day.. I could never get along with the 714s, but loved the 716. Haven't owned the 718 but hit them almost every time I go in the store and they are just easier through the bottom of the swing for me. I would agree, though, the 716/18 CB are very forgiving for a more compact head. If you are an excellent ball striker, you're probably fine with the 714 but I like the little extra help the 718 leading edge has... my J15 CB have it as well and I absolutely love the turf interaction.

> >

> > So what was it they did to the leading edge in the 718 that makes it work better for you? Is it more "pre-worn" than before, something like that?

>

> There is a beveled leading edge that previous models did not have in the 718 AP2, but the 716 CB did have first. The 716 AP2 did not... Its like a mini V sole, hard to explain and easy to miss if you don't look closely or hold two models up against each other but it is preworn a bit.

>

> If you look closely enough at sets on ebay, in the right shots, you can see the difference.. hopefully these two links show enough... easier to see in person..

>

> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Titleist-AP2-716-Forged-Iron-Set-3-P-Stiff-Flex-Steel-Shafts/323922681867?hash=item4b6b4be00b:g:X5cAAOSwOahdhR96

>

> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Titleist-AP2-718-5-PW-Irons/163876783230?hash=item2627d1447e:g:dI4AAOSwP0ZdiTmD

>

>

> @Nixhex524 said:

> > @"North Butte" said:

> > > @Nixhex524 said:

> >

>

>

>

>

Thanks for the helpful comments and sorry for the slightly misworded question on my part.

I actually have a set of 718 AP2 that I've been playing for 4-5 weeks now. And I love the sole design. But I'm not familiar at all with the 714 and 716 AP2 so I kind of assumed the sole on those was like the 718's.

I didn't really expect to get on with these irons, mostly I wanted to try the AMT White shafts which are kind of hard to find in lefty clubs. This was a demo set I picked up (relatively) cheaply. I'm surprised how well the sole and the entire club suits me. They're going to be my everyday clubs for quite a while!

> @"North Butte" said:

> > @Nixhex524 said:

> > > @"North Butte" said:

> > > > @Nixhex524 said:

> > > > If there is any major difference it is down to the leading edge grind on the 718 which should not be overlooked. IMO, it makes the two versions odf the AP2 night and day.. I could never get along with the 714s, but loved the 716. Haven't owned the 718 but hit them almost every time I go in the store and they are just easier through the bottom of the swing for me. I would agree, though, the 716/18 CB are very forgiving for a more compact head. If you are an excellent ball striker, you're probably fine with the 714 but I like the little extra help the 718 leading edge has... my J15 CB have it as well and I absolutely love the turf interaction.

> > >

> > > So what was it they did to the leading edge in the 718 that makes it work better for you? Is it more "pre-worn" than before, something like that?

> >

> > There is a beveled leading edge that previous models did not have in the 718 AP2, but the 716 CB did have first. The 716 AP2 did not... Its like a mini V sole, hard to explain and easy to miss if you don't look closely or hold two models up against each other but it is preworn a bit.

> >

> > If you look closely enough at sets on ebay, in the right shots, you can see the difference.. hopefully these two links show enough... easier to see in person..

> >

> > https://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Titleist-AP2-716-Forged-Iron-Set-3-P-Stiff-Flex-Steel-Shafts/323922681867?hash=item4b6b4be00b:g:X5cAAOSwOahdhR96

> >

> > https://www.ebay.com/itm/Titleist-AP2-718-5-PW-Irons/163876783230?hash=item2627d1447e:g:dI4AAOSwP0ZdiTmD

> >

> >

>

> > @Nixhex524 said:

> > > @"North Butte" said:

> > > > @Nixhex524 said:

> > > > If there is any major difference it is down to the leading edge grind on the 718 which should not be overlooked. IMO, it makes the two versions odf the AP2 night and day.. I could never get along with the 714s, but loved the 716. Haven't owned the 718 but hit them almost every time I go in the store and they are just easier through the bottom of the swing for me. I would agree, though, the 716/18 CB are very forgiving for a more compact head. If you are an excellent ball striker, you're probably fine with the 714 but I like the little extra help the 718 leading edge has... my J15 CB have it as well and I absolutely love the turf interaction.

> > >

> > > So what was it they did to the leading edge in the 718 that makes it work better for you? Is it more "pre-worn" than before, something like that?

> >

> > There is a beveled leading edge that previous models did not have in the 718 AP2, but the 716 CB did have first. The 716 AP2 did not... Its like a mini V sole, hard to explain and easy to miss if you don't look closely or hold two models up against each other but it is preworn a bit.

> >

> > If you look closely enough at sets on ebay, in the right shots, you can see the difference.. hopefully these two links show enough... easier to see in person..

> >

> > https://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Titleist-AP2-716-Forged-Iron-Set-3-P-Stiff-Flex-Steel-Shafts/323922681867?hash=item4b6b4be00b:g:X5cAAOSwOahdhR96

> >

> > https://www.ebay.com/itm/Titleist-AP2-718-5-PW-Irons/163876783230?hash=item2627d1447e:g:dI4AAOSwP0ZdiTmD

>

> Thanks for the helpful comments and sorry for the slightly misworded question on my part.

>

> I actually have a set of 718 AP2 that I've been playing for 4-5 weeks now. And I love the sole design. But I'm not familiar at all with the 714 and 716 AP2 so I kind of assumed the sole on those was like the 718's.

>

> I didn't really expect to get on with these irons, mostly I wanted to try the AMT White shafts which are kind of hard to find in lefty clubs. This was a demo set I picked up (relatively) cheaply. I'm surprised how well the sole and the entire club suits me. They're going to be my everyday clubs for quite a while!

Yeah, the 714/16 dont have that grind like the 718s do... The 718s are beauties, hope you find your stride with them... If you play shorter than standard I actually have some AMT white S300s... 1/4" under in a set of J15 CB and I may be pulling them at some point for something stiffer.... Just a heads up...

• 10 months later...

I currently have a set of 714 AP2's that I have been happy with (Project X 5.5), and was just gifted a new set of 718 CB's (Project X LZ 6.0). Wondering if anyone has insight into the technology between the two heads. Everything I have found only compares the 718 AP2 to the CB's, but I have heard that the CB's are more forgiving than the 716 AP2's, so assume they may be even more so than the older 714's?