2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

ALDILA DVS SHAFTS

steverum

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's horribly incorrect. The torque rating is not 5.2º. I've talked to Aldila and confirmed the specs on their site, the torque is at most 3.3º and thats on the 60 gram only.

As you move to the heavier versions the torque decreases.

Its a high launch low spin shaft. Launch higher than the VS Proto, yes.

I can only tell you what the rep said. He specifically said it was high launch, low spin. He said even though those are the numbers it doesn't play as it is that high.

I was not "horribly wrong". I just got off the phone with Aldila customer service. They confirmed that the torque rating on the 55 gram is 5.2. They are making 4 different weights in the DVS. The 55 gram is the shaft that will come stock in the new Adams driver.

How is the feel on the DVS? My concern would be if it's really butt stiff it might feel muted/boardy? That's the only thing I didn't like about the Project X steel. Sounds like the DVS was designed around the same general concept. Any input? Performance, feel, etc?

The shaft reminded me alot like my Mamiya Axiv V shaft. It feels much softer than it plays. I hit the stiff and I didn't get any floaters out of it. Normally with my SS that wouldn't be the case

I can only tell you what the rep said. He specifically said it was high launch, low spin. He said even though those are the numbers it doesn't play as it is that high.

I was not "horribly wrong". I just got off the phone with Aldila customer service. They confirmed that the torque rating on the 55 gram is 5.2. They are making 4 different weights in the DVS. The 55 gram is the shaft that will come stock in the new Adams driver.

wow i didnt even know they made a 55 gram, im doing some tests for adila as we speak, check out my post on the matter, i am going to test the 60-s which weighs just over 63 grams and from what i feel so far i doubt it will balloon the ball but we will see, also the one u tested in adams could be very soft than the custom ones as well, so many variable i believe

madi05

If you can't break 67 then don't bother trying the DVS. Also, you need more loft.

CANADA

MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS.

IT WONT MATTER WHAT SHAFT YOU PLAY IN THAT NIKE CRAP NEXT YEAR, CUZ ITS JUNK.

ONCE YOU START TO HATE NIKE, YOU CAN PLAY WITH MY CALLAWAY HAND ME DOWNS!!!

OH SNAP!! :D

DALE TOLD ME YOU CHEATED AND IT WAS REALLY A 75, HE FORGOT TO FILL IN THE SCORES ON THE LAST TWO HOLES.

wow i didnt even know they made a 55 gram, im doing some tests for adila as we speak, check out my post on the matter, i am going to test the 60-s which weighs just over 63 grams and from what i feel so far i doubt it will balloon the ball but we will see, also the one u tested in adams could be very soft than the custom ones as well, so many variable i believe

madi05

Aldila's web site not showing a 50 or 55 gram model, lightest shaft listed is a 60.

Torque specs are 3.3, weight at 63 grams

Titleist 913D2 w/ UST Attas 7X
Titleist 913F 15* w/ Accuflex VS993
Titleist 910H 21* w/ UST Attas Prototype
Titleist 910H 24* w/ UST Attas 85
Vokey 51,55 & 60 custom wedges
Titleist 712 AP1 5-PW DGS400

... this is from Aldila's tour rep earlier this summer. i have played with him, and he is close to a tour caliber player. fwiw, he kills it off the tee:

Aldila / David “Rookie” Williams, PGA TOUR Representative

We have a new shaft coming out called the DVS and I was working with Charles Howell last week and he switched to it. It’s a brand new product that we just took out on TOUR. Boo Weekley just switched to it as well. Getting to work with guys that haven’t previously been in one of our shafts is kind of fun. This new shaft is going to come in three or four different gram weights. It’s a butt stiff, low torque profile shaft designed for guys that want to launch it high but also need a little bit of extra spin. You know, you hear a lot about guys trying to take spin off their driver shots out here, but some guys actually need a little bit more spin because the right amount of spin is what keeps the golf ball up in the air longer. So you can’t just make the blanket statement that driver spin equates to distance loss. It’s the correct amount of spin that leads to optimum driver performance. And in the case of this new DVS shaft, the ball is going to spin a little more off the driver than it would say with a NV or a Proto. The other thing with this DVS shaft is it probably has the smoothest bend profile from start to finish in the golf swing of any of the shafts we’ve offered out here. Guys are telling me how smooth it feels. That’s the word they use to describe it; smooth. So, I’m excited to have this shaft out here. Guys are digging the feel.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

I just got a DVS shaft that I intend to put into my J3R @ 10.5...I have a pretty healthy swing speed (115-118) and I tend to hit it high which is why I switched to my J33's. I have that head in a Ozik TP7 that is a monster when my swing is on...

Once I get this shafted I can offer more comments...unfortunately all driving range as the courses are closed in my neck of the woods.

Ken

Hmm...Today the bag will be...<br /><br />Cobra F9 or Ping 400 LST<br /><br />F9 w/ HZRD Yellow or 16* 3446-f-Matrix 8M2<br /><br />Cobra Baffler w/ HZRD<br /><br />Machine M2A Long Neck SS Copper Insert Hand Peened<br /><br />Mizuno MP-55 & MP-5 w/ SF 110 CW<br /><br />SRIXON 765/965 5-PW w SF i95 Stiff

madi05

Aldila's web site not showing a 50 or 55 gram model, lightest shaft listed is a 60.

ok, you caught me....I made it all up :D

madi05

ok, you caught me....I made it all up :D

no no, it wasnt about catching u, well at least not for me, i was just stating it could be like the 65-s is for a few manufacturers, one made for there clubs only type of deal and i would say the one u hit was probably not up to par to the ones we are discussing is all, i will let u know soon as i can hit all of them , so far the xvs6 is going to be first, im trying to pick up another head at a good price so i can put the dvs in it and hit both shafts against eachother

madi05

I've got 3 rounds under my belt with the XVS6, shaft is amazing. I would like to try an XVS7 or XVS8. I tend to hit it a tad high also, but it's because it's the first 10.5° driver I have ever used. Still, no ballooning and the straigtest drives I have ever hit!

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

I've got 3 rounds under my belt with the XVS6, shaft is amazing. I would like to try an XVS7 or XVS8. I tend to hit it a tad high also, but it's because it's the first 10.5° driver I have ever used. Still, no ballooning and the straigtest drives I have ever hit!

... unfortunately, Aldila will not be offering a XVS7, at least not with the proto run. they are only offering the XVS6 and XVS8, which can be bought directly fromthe website.

• 5 months later...

There is no 55grm shaft for this one listed on Aldila website:

http://www.aldila.com/product18.html :D

Also when a "Club Manufacturer" has a shaft company make a shaft so they can put their name on it they are for the most part messing up the shaft with their own little input instead of letting the "real experts" do their job!!

See sig before reading further….

Love this driver/shaft combo. I can tell you that it is NOT a high launch shaft. More of a mid launch. Lot’s of roll out, approx 20-30 yards… I’ve never hit a driver this long as consistently as I do with this combo.

And from what I hear...don't really try to compare torque numbers put out by manufactures. Apparently they all measure them different.

From my Best of Show series:

... With everything I have written so far, it should come as no surprise that the winner of Best of Show ... Shafts!!! is Aldila's new DVS. I honestly did not think I could find a better shaft than the VS Proto, but I did. The DVS utilizes the same technology as the VS Proto, so it is more of a "tweaking" than a brand new shaft. With "low spin" being all the rage these days, it is very easy to find a combo that does not produce ENOUGH spin for many players!!! Contrary to popular beliefs, most golfers do not hit the ball high enough. The optimum flight for almost any given swing is radically different than it was just a few short years ago. The balls spin less, heads spin less, and shafts spin less making it very difficult to achieve the ideal trajectory for your swing without a launch monitor. Take a look at some PGA Pro's at a Tour event, and they seem to be launching moonballs. Aldila did a ton of testing and constant tweaking on tour to get the DVS just right. Too high with a steep decent and you lose roll, but too low a trajectory and you loose carry. So many stronger players could benefit from a softer tipped shaft, but they hate the "whippy" feel virtually all softer tipped shafts produced. And the smooth swinger needs even more help keeping the ball in the air for maximum carry and roll. Aldila kept increasing the butt stiffness for a tighter feel. The DVS has a much stiffer butt section and a softer tip section than the VS Proto. For reference the butt end is about 1/2 flex stiffer than the VS Proto, and the tip is a little firmer than the NVS. Finally when they decreased the torque the numbers and feel fell right into place. Stuart Appleby who has hit some of the longest drives on tour with a short, explosive swing says "The new DVS is sneaky long". So this is not the "soft tipped" shaft you have become accustomed to. I got a little more kick, a little more distance and the best feel of any shaft I have hit. It is just so very smooth. I gotta admit, old school aside, the color is kinda cool too. The DVS will be offered in quite a few heads as a stock offering in 08 including the Adams XTD and the MacGregor MT 460. With 2.3* of torque in the DVS 80 and a friendlier 3.3* of torque in the DVS 60, for the first time I can say I highly recommend you demo a shaft whether you are a hard hitter or a smooth swinger. I will do a full review of the DVS in a driver, fairway wood and hybrid early this Spring.

http://www.aldila.com/product18.html

I got a Ping G10 WRX Driver with the DVS 60-X Shaft In. Been using a 907D1 with VS Proto 65-X Shaft for the past year. Have only took it on course and hit three huge draw/hooks with it. Went back to range and hit a couple of good shots with it but a heck of a lot of shots go left on me. Switch back to the D1 and I'm hitting straight with the occasional fade flight path in there. So am a bit confused as to why the DVS doesn't seem to work for me.

So, is the DVS to the VS what the NVS is to the NV?

The DVS is not too dissimilar at all to the VS Proto. It allegedly has more 'kick' at the bottom.

NVS is a high launch shaft compared to the mid range of NV.

I spoke with ALDILA before I bought the ADAMS XTD fitted with the DVS shaft; the DVS is half a flex softer than the NV series with a mid launch and mid/low spin .

I was told to tip the shaft by 12 mm to make it a 'firm' flex ... I did this and it is absolutely superb.

I dont know who told a poster on here it is 5.2 torque, but that is incorrect as it is 3.3 like all the other weights.

• 1 year later...