Wishon launches 2nd generation of SL irons

MountainGoat

Subtly, the short irons fly a touch lower - the long irons a touch higher - nothing drastic over the Sterlings.

However - the SW/GW are showing notably more spin into the greens.

Everything is a better look at address - larger with less offset. Solid feel.

Club Fitter/Builder (Wishon)

719MWย  11* Red R Shaft - 919THI 11* Black S 65 shaftย 
EQ1-NX 3, 927HS 5, 7 woods Red R-Flex
797HS 4 & 5 Red R Shaftย 
585's, EQ1-NX, 550 combo, 575's, 565's various shafts
20+ wedges!

Wishon Cavityย Black CB4ย putter

Willy, Bridgy, Srixy Balls

• 3 months later...
On 12/16/2019 at 10:43 AM, 1Mordrid1 said:

It is still such a niche product. A bigger manufacturer like Cobra can move enough sets to justify the production costs, but a lesser known brand with no real advertising or brick and mortar retail exposure is going to have a hard time moving them.

ย 

And yet, this is the second model to come out. They must have missed the part about there not being sufficient sales.

On 12/16/2019 at 12:44 PM, Nessism said:

I would prefer a set where the longer clubs are set in length but not the shorter scoring clubs

Then you would miss a huge benefit of single-length irons. I've been more accurate with my high-lofted clubs since switching to Wishon 4 years ago, even though they're longer. There's a real dynamic about each swing being on the exact same plane. It also simplifies setup.ย 

ย 

I took it all the way to the LW before I found trouble. The LW is just too long. The swing plane is too flat to hit a lot of the shots you'd want to hit with it. Choking down around the greens helps, but creates three other issues. First, the dynamic lie angle changes--because the static lie angle is the same, but you've shortened the club and made it more upright. Second, you've created a steeper--and now alien-feeling--swing plane. Third, you can't both choke down and open the blade without bringing the toe into play and dragging it.

ย 

Almost everyone who posts this thought hasn't actually played single-length clubs. Almost everyone who has doesn't want variable-length short irons.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2019 at 5:32 AM, MountainGoat said:

I've got a set of Sterlings in my personal inventory, and I thought they were good clubs. My only objection is that they played to an 8-iron length, and Tom was adamant about not trying to build them long. So, I ended up playing Cobras, which play to a 7-iron length. I'll be very interested to see this new design.

ย 

ย 

This is a personal preference. I've played Sterling for 4 years and have recently replaced them with the new EQ1-NX. I did so specifically because I wanted to continue playing single-length at an 8-iron length (36.5").ย 

• 1 month later...

I'm about to buy a set of these and wondering if there are some users here who played these in 2020. I have seen posts from maybe a couple in searches before. If you have them, are you keeping them?

Driver: Cobra SZ 9*

4 Wood: Wishon EQ1-NX

4/5 Hybrids: Wishon EQ1-NX

5-GW: Sub 70 659 CB DG 105

56/60: TaylorMade Milled Grind

Putter: Edel E-3

Keepers. Like any club, get the shaft and length right.

797HS 4 & 5 Red R Shaftย 
20+ wedges!

• 3 months later...
On 10/31/2020 at 7:51 PM, Rich Douglas said:

Then you would miss a huge benefit of single-length irons. I've been more accurate with my high-lofted clubs since switching to Wishon 4 years ago, even though they're longer. There's a real dynamic about each swing being on the exact same plane. It also simplifies setup.ย 

ย 

I took it all the way to the LW before I found trouble. The LW is just too long. The swing plane is too flat to hit a lot of the shots you'd want to hit with it. Choking down around the greens helps, but creates three other issues. First, the dynamic lie angle changes--because the static lie angle is the same, but you've shortened the club and made it more upright. Second, you've created a steeper--and now alien-feeling--swing plane. Third, you can't both choke down and open the blade without bringing the toe into play and dragging it.

ย 

Almost everyone who posts this thought hasn't actually played single-length clubs. Almost everyone who has doesn't want variable-length short irons.

That's interesting you didn't like the sterling LW. It is one of my favorite clubs and also the reason I haven't switched to the eq1s yet because I'm waiting for the eq1 LW to be released. But I swing fairly upright so maybe that helps but I felt like my chipping got better because I could stand a little taller and more comfortable over the ball. I'd imagine players that like to hunch down and get real low when they chip would have an issue with a single length wedge though.ย 

If the sole is like the EQ1-NX SW & GW, it will be a better club.ย  A little milling on the face never hurt anyone either.

797HS 4 & 5 Red R Shaftย 
20+ wedges!

On 4/4/2021 at 11:35 PM, Truok said:

That's interesting you didn't like the sterling LW. It is one of my favorite clubs and also the reason I haven't switched to the eq1s yet because I'm waiting for the eq1 LW to be released. But I swing fairly upright so maybe that helps but I felt like my chipping got better because I could stand a little taller and more comfortable over the ball. I'd imagine players that like to hunch down and get real low when they chip would have an issue with a single length wedge though.ย 

ย 

I still don't like it. After posting that I grabbed it and both practiced with it and played one round with it. I'm fine with chipping with it, as well as shots from the fairway. But it is just too flat to hit sand shots and flop shots. Even though I've switched to the EQ1-NX, I considered keeping the Sterling LW in the bag. Gotta go edit my sig line again....

On 4/7/2021 at 8:27 AM, Rich Douglas said:

ย 

I still don't like it. After posting that I grabbed it and both practiced with it and played one round with it. I'm fine with chipping with it, as well as shots from the fairway. But it is just too flat to hit sand shots and flop shots. Even though I've switched to the EQ1-NX, I considered keeping the Sterling LW in the bag. Gotta go edit my sig line again....

I play my clubs are 3 upright (66 degree lie angle) which is basically the same lie angle i played my conventional length wedges so maybe that's why I never had any issues with the wedges. I'm curious how the eq1 LW will be. I did feel like the sw and gw of the eq1s were a bit chunky but maybe I'd get used to them after playing them more.ย 

On 10/31/2020 at 8:51 PM, Rich Douglas said:

ย 

ย 

Thanks.ย  I am.in the camp.as having seen my short iron play improve since making the switch.ย 

ย 

I have SL from 5-GW and my SW and LW are +1".

ย 

On 4/10/2021 at 1:23 AM, Truok said:

I play my clubs are 3 upright (66 degree lie angle) which is basically the same lie angle i played my conventional length wedges so maybe that's why I never had any issues with the wedges. I'm curious how the eq1 LW will be. I did feel like the sw and gw of the eq1s were a bit chunky but maybe I'd get used to them after playing them more.ย 

I'm naturally 2 degrees up myself, and it still didn't help. That's still about 2 degrees flatter than a standard LW. Add the length--which demands a flatter swing--and it's just too much. Sad, too, because I really prefer it when hitting from the fairway.