2020 Gainbridge LPGA at Boca Rio

18majors

Not everybody finished. There was a late afternoon sideways monsoon that sent players and spectators running for cover, and halted play. The 9th and 18th greens were totally drenched and unplayable at that point. I'm sure it translated elsewhere on the course as well. There were approximately 5 groups remaining on the course on each nine. There was no guarantee play would resume, so I departed.

From the looks of things on live scoring they did manage to get back out there for a short period of time. Jessica Korda as conditions worsened sank an 8 foot birdie putt on 17 to take the lead. Several guys in the small gallery had wagered on the putt. The winner cheered and waved cash in the air. "Thanks Jessica." She responded deftly, "Don't I get a cut of that?" He laughed and replied, "Sure, I'll give you 20."

While walking to the nearby 18th tee as the rain fell harder a spectator was struggling with a collapsed umbrella. Jessica noticed and said, "Oh no, a broken umbrella." He said, "Don't worry, it still works." Jessica told him to check out her umbrella, which was indeed nondescript: "I got it on Amazon...16 bucks."

After following Nelly a few times in 2018 and 2019 I had forgotten how much more animated and talkative Jessica is out there, in comparison to Nelly, who is mostly business.

Jessica piped a drive into the wind on 18 then really had the worst of the weather while hitting last into the green. It was a terrific shot about 8 feet left of the cup on the testy par 4. She instantly saw the shot was on line so she raced to grab the umbrella long before the ball landed on the green. Then upon reaching the green it was quickly obvious there was no way play could continue. Water everywhere and rain blowing sideways. Everyone marked their ball and dashed for cover. I stuck around for 20 more minutes. It got worse. The nearby 9th green was deemed unplayable also.

When I got in the shuttle bus I expected that Jessica would have to return in the morning to face that birdie putt. Instead I see she sank it after play resumed. That was a tremendous round on that course in afternoon conditions to finish -6. I'd say it was at least equal to the -8 rounds of last week in Orlando, if not superior.

First impression of this course if that it is an excellent spectator course but not the most interesting design. The walks between holes are very reasonable. In fact, often the players have to retreat to the tee box but spectators from the prior green already have a head start along the next fairway. There are several places the holes run together so you can switch and start following a different group. There was never any problem like Orlando where they stupidly don't allow you to proceed and follow action on a stretch of holes. Only the par 5 16th hole has a crossover that delays spectators slightly, but that was a very minor inconvenienceHowever, the holes share too much sameness. Lots of relatively long and bunker guarded but otherwise nondescript holes. Actually it looks like one architect designed #1 and #17 then somebody else drew up everything else. Water comes into play nicely at the green on those two holes but is basically irrelevant everywhere else. The 17th is a short par 3. Today the pin was top shelf right. I'm sure at some point they'll use the lower ledge, which will make the hole even shorter but very interesting since an Augusta-like mound will be able to pull the ball toward the hole, or send it scampering far away, especially if someone has to putt down the slope from the top tier.I decided to follow Cristie Kerr. That paid off as she birdied the first three holes in challenging conditions. The first was a 25 footer up hill after a fluffed bunker shot. Cristie walked in the putt the final 3 feet. Second hole was a much more difficult 20 footer with 3 feet of boomerang break left in the final stages of the putt. She wasn't sure about that one until the final 18 inches or so. Then she walked it in. The third hole Cristie drew an iron to within 6 feet on the par 3. Her father in the gallery said, "You know what I'm thinking after a start like this? I'm thinking 58. Annika holds the record at 59. I'd like to see a 58." Cristie knocked in the birdie on 3.Cristie had a great opportunity on the 4th hole, a 9 footer slightly downhill. She left it barely outside right. From that point the putter did not cooperate. Lots of misses left and below the hole. At one point Cristie said, "I can't read anything today." She ended up with a sloppy 3 putt on 17 and then bogeyed 18 in tough conditions as the rain began to fall. It was an Even par round but her ball striking was excellent, far better than I expected. Dependable controlled draw and plenty strong. Cheyenne Knight in the same group was noticeably weaker off the tee and really fighting the wind. Cristie's tee shot seldom noticed.I only saw Brooke Henderson on one hole but it was the familiar dilemma on the green. Her sister Brittany was pointing out one spot from behind the hole, on a short birdie putt maybe 4 feet on #17. Brooke clearly did not agree with the spot. She stood up and said, "Are you sure?" Brittany nodded and said she was sure, then held the flagpole over the spot again. This time it paid off. Brooke sank the putt. But nowadays it is not celebration. The gallery may be cheering but the two Hendersons are mostly stoic. Okay, we got through that one. On the other hand, Stacy Lewis sank a longer birdie putt on 17 and was pump fisting thrilled. Stacy obviously loves where she is right now. Her game is not bad either.

Nice start by Yui and Patty.

Gawd, Carlota is hard to watch at times. I was fast forwarding through her preshot, sometimes as much as 40 seconds, and when I hit the play button she still hadn't hit her shots.

Thought the course looked great, and played tough.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I think Nelly has better upside for the weekend, she's hit 12 greens in reg both days. If Nelly can get 15/16 on the weekend she'll definitely score much better. Brooke on the hand is hitting lots of greens but can't sink any putts and usually on the weeks you don't have the putter going it doesn't usually show up. I think the biggest factor will be if the wind comes back, if it does I see much of the top 10 looking very different by the end of the event.

Inbee missed the cut. Sure it's a long course, but this is a bit of a surprise. Same with MJ.

Maria missed the cut. Incredible talent, but she has to get herself into the weekend.

Yeah, the rookies came crashing back to Earth, but Patty and Yui both made the cut, which is a good first step. Albane and Yealimi also snuck into the weekend.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Wow. The greens look like cr+p.

Is that Lydia's caddie Jonathan, on Carlota's bag?

Hello, hello. It's the New Year holiday here but things are a bit hectic, as plans get changed/cancelled due to the coronavirus.

I am watching to see how some of the young players do. Will make more judgements after 5 tournaments or so.

Nasa off to another good start. Maybe she's trying to remind everyone who the best Japanese player is. Still hoping Japan can send three to the Olympics this year.

Sorry Stooch, you did not use the word crashing, it was Argonne. Regardless, the general statement of someone coming back down to earth, gives me the thought of shooting a crazy low number 62,64...one day then shooting a 70 or worse the next. Madelene or Jennifer Song may come crashing back to earth today...hope not but that's golf for ya.

Jillian Hollis, a rookie, did surprisingly well the first two rounds. She's from class of 2019, same as Kristen Gillman and Jennifer Kupcho.

Yui Kawamoto, Patty Tavatanakit, Albane Valenzuela, Yealimi Noh are the class of this rookie year, and they all made the cut.

Bianca Pagdanganon should do well in the long term, but her low priority will be a handicap this year.

Crashing is probably too strong a word, but going from the lead to the 2nd page of the leaderboard after shooting over par was a bit of a shock.

Yeah, the Coronavirus can definitely also impact the early part of the LPGA schedule too. I imagine much like everyone else players are waiting on info of the virus. Depending on containment some of the countries on the early Asian swing might not be impacted, but the Blue Bay I imagine may be in trouble with mass withdrawals.

Understandable, I guess I don't get my hopes up too much, knowing how each day can be a different animal out there. Great example last week D.K. shooting 63 Thursday and 73 Friday, Marina shooting 66 followed by 81. I wouldn't expect Madelene Sagstrom to shoot -10 again today, I haven't seen the weather forecast but a 66,67 from her would surprise me.